Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Have any of you thoughts or experience with absorption cycle air conditioning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
For running an A/C on solar, will a modified sine wave inverter work or is pure sine wave necessary?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I just watched the technology connections video about heat pumps and now I have questions about heat pumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J52mDjZzto
Both of these things are 65000BTU
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/65000btu-heavy-duty-outdoor-propane-burner/p/6420768
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Haywar...PRD7ARKRGTF3YRR

Here is an example of the former on a maple sugar boiler :https://www.tscstores.com/STARTER-BOILING-KIT-P44601.aspx

Is it possible DIY a heat pump that chills maple sap for storage and also boils it into syrup?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks for the info. That's a bummer. Would have been nice.

Edit : Actually that sounds more difficult than impossible. For example, automotive air conditioners can be belt driven. Could a small one possibly work as the hot side of a multi stage system? Would there be anything in an automotive AC unit that breaks down at high temperatures?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 4, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
It appears that my two main challenges are finding a high temperature refrigerant and a high temperature compressor. I never would have thought of water. Would I need to pre-boil it? I'm trying to visualize this would work. Would the water need to be under vacuum?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
These all sound like good ideas. Thank you for giving me the vocabulary to ask the right questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don’t feel married to using water as a refrigerant. The HVAC technician may have better suggestions. There are a ton of refrigerants to choose from.

I am imagine from a monetary standpoint this project it won’t make a ton of sense. It’s likely that a lot of custom work would be required to set up the system, and the use of less common refrigerant will also drive up cost and maintenance costs down the line. As other people said a simple boiler and heat exchanger would probably cost you a lot less upfront and be much easier to maintain with technicians who deal with that stuff all the time.

If the purpose of it isn’t to save money though but instead because it would be cool definitely go for it.

Noted. I was looking at something called r245fa before switching my preference to r718.

The issue with running a boiler is that it would be more efficient to light a fire under the maple sap directly, which is what most people do. Oil fired and natural gas fired evaporators exist, but most are wood fired. Here is an example of one:

More details:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767326

I think it's fair to say that people who boil maple sap seriously have efficiency nailed down to a science. Combustion is the way to go 100%. Evaporator pans have deep flues to maximize surface area between flame and maple sap. The fireplaces are covered with insulating fire brick - which is a catalyst that helps initiate secondary combustion. A properly built maple syrup arch is a machine which efficiently converts chemical energy from wood into heat for deliciously caramelized tree sugar.

A heat pump driven by electric motor on photovoltaics would be slower and is kind of dumb, but doesn't emit greenhouse gases during operation. And that's really what my goal is. I already have a homebuilt reverse osmosis unit that can remove most of the water from the sap, but I need some way to heat it up caramelize it - otherwise I just have clear sweet treewater.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I'm looking for a way to heat up (mostly) water with something more efficient than a resistive heating element, because that's what I'm using right now and it was cheap, but it kind of sucks. But I can run it off an inverter off a battery off solar panels. But for 1.2kW, could I boil maple sap any faster? Heat pumps having a coefficient of performance of >1 sort of what I'm looking at. I know I can light a big fire under my maple sap, but we've been doing that for over 200 years and it could be considered a mature technology. I think there's not much new in 2021 to be learned from building a bigger fire under my maple tree sap. It's sort of solved already.