Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
The arsehole previous owner of my house had an ac installed some years ago, and left the drain pipe coming out underneath the floor of an outbuilding, consequently rotting out the floor structure from having untreated wood sitting in standing water. I've torn down the lovely outbuilding, and am planning on building a concrete patio area in its place. Right now, the drain is dripping onto the dirt where the building was, and there is enough water coming out to leave a 2 sq ft puddle by the end of the day. I don't really want this much water dripping onto the concrete I plan to lay, but my yard is also sloped such that the outlet would be below ground level if I was to extend it out beyond the pad.
Any ideas for a better drain?
I don't really want to relocate it completely because the side of my house where it is now will be pretty well all patio, and the other side is a no go because of the grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Some ideas:
Do you have a floor drain to run it to instead?

Would it be possible to turn the corner outside and follow the wall?

Are you going to pave everything? Could you leave a spot for a garden? Another idea is that you could leave a outdoor floor drain there and run the exit somewhere down slope, maybe even hook into a downspout that is close.

No floor drain, house is elevated off the ground, and tying into existing plumbing wouldn't be possible without a pump and lots of visible piping to get to the laundry drain. I'd rather drop it outside. I thought about a couple of potted plants, but the whole area is in perpetual shade, so I think the plants would become waterlogged very quickly.

I could turn the pipe and go along the house, but I think I'd only get about 8 feet before it would hit the patio while still keeping enough of a slope.

I am wondering if burying a dry well underneath the concrete pad is a reasonable solution? I'd only use it for the condensate to keep the volume of water to drain to a minimum. If I am laying plastic under the concrete anyway, would this moisture be an issue?
I've noticed that when it's cooler and the ac isn't running hard, the puddle drains away in about a day. I can put a bucket down and measure the outflow if that's helpful.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

angryrobots posted:

You definitely do not want to bury an inaccessible drain field and condensate line under the pad....I think that would make you an rear end in a top hat previous owner, lol.

Whatever you do, the end of the line needs to be accessible for clean out.

Good point. I'll drop the pipe into a couple of potted plants for now, and if they get waterlogged I'll have to come up with a better plan. How far away from the edge of a concrete pad is it ok to have the drain so that the moisture doesn't damage the concrete?

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Potted plants are not a permanent solution. The next owner could get rid of them then wonder why there's a puddle there. Either leave a hole in your concrete pad for a garden there (nothing outrageous, maybe 2'x2') or put in an outdoor drain.

Water does the most damage to concrete when it freezes. Do you normally run your AC during the winter?

Also, what's making you use the existing exit from your house? Could you move the hole somewhere else?

I don't run the ac in the winter, but in the fall and early spring here it can freeze overnight but get hot enough during the day that I will run the ac.
I'd like to move the drain elsewhere, but I have very limited access in the crawlspace near the furnace.

Once I pour the concrete pad, I'll be seeding a grass area to one side that I might be able to get the drain to. The drain is about 10 inches above ground level now, and I'd need about another 15-18 feet of horizontal pipe to get there. How much vertical drop is necessary per 10 feet of travel?

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I had our furnace and AC unit replaced last year, and because we get a lot of wild fire smoke in our area during summer, the contractor suggested and installed a pristine air electrostatic filter system. It was great, and we didn't get any smoke smell inside the house despite the air outside being basically unbreathable. We got a year supply (4) filters with the install, but we are out now.

Installer quoted $180 for another year of replacements, which seemed a bit steep for a box of 16x25 fibreglass mesh sheets. Looking to see if anyone is familiar with these, and if this pricing is comparable. In Canada, so a bit higher is to be expected.

This is the unit:
https://www.pristineaircleaner.com/indoor-air-solutions/iaq-1000

And the media box part number: 3LP1625

As far as I can tell, pristine air only sell through dealers, and there's only one dealer in my area, of course. Am I getting ripped off?