Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to learn how to do simple maintenance for my HVAC system like changing capacitors and cleaning the core like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peymGz_8BkA

I need a multimeter. What's a good cheap one that's easy to learn how to use. I've never used one of these. Would one of those cheapo 8 dollar ones at Harbor Frieght work?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Invalido posted:

8 dollar multimeters work, but IMO the sweet spot for cheap multimeters is in the € 20-40 range. If you want maximum ease of use get one that's auto-ranging (i.e. one where there's just one knob setting for all kinds of DC voltage or whatever, not several)

Something like this one maybe? https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Mult...147&sr=8-5&th=1

Decided to go with this one.

Anyone have any good videos on how to use one of these? I’m completely new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Invalido posted:

Fluke makes great multimeters no doubt, I just hope they don't throw away their well earned stellar reputation by enshittifying themselves like so many other tool companies have done in the last couple of decades.
I'm on team "every household should have a (reasonably) cheap digital multimeter" myself - It's just one of those things that are so incredibly useful in this world, I don't understand how people get by without them (and at least a basic understanding of electricity). Then again people without basic tools or know-how throw away lots of easily fixable things because they can't do even the most simple diagnostics. Bad for the wallet, bad for the planet - multimeters for everyone! Then at least when they call me because their car won't start I can ask them what the battery voltage reads. (I have a nice one with fancy features and a USB interface I've never used, a cheap one and a small one I got specifically to bring on motorcycle road trips)

That’s why I want to learn to use one finally. It feels like an important tool and easy skill to have that a lot of people ignore.