Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the reasons I heard for the failure of the Nazi nuclear weapons project (aside from a critical lack of materials) was that physics was considered to be a Jewish discipline, and so True Ayran Germans should not be studying it and should be studying proper German physics (which didn't work properly)

This is really overblown by a lot of people and didn't factor into much. The "Deutsche Physik" movement was the result of a relatively small group of physicists getting a nationalistic hair up their asses in WW1 and taking the road down to poisonous anti-Semitism once Einstein's theories became heavily debated. There is a lot of stuff mixed in, including professional rivalries, but they were never more than a fringe force. They tried to hitch their wagon to the Nazis in a big way after 1932 but that didn't go anywhere, mostly because Heisenberg was a pretty big proponent of Einstein's work and was pretty vital to German physics research once the Jewish scientists lost their jobs. Note that this wasn't because of "Jewish science" but because of the general policy of the NSDAP to kick Jews out of academia. It included philosophers, historians, etc. along with the scientists.

As an interesting side note Heisenberg and Himmler went to school together as kids. This became important when the more nutso (even for those guys) fringe of the SS started given Heisenberg a hard time because they'd been drinking the Deutsche Physik koolaid. Heisenberg's mom phoned Himmler's mom and asked her to lean on Heinrich to make his guys be nicer to Werner. Who knows how much influence this had, but Heisenberg ended up investigated and vetted by the SS as an "Aryan thinker."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread