Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

https://vita.hacks.guide

I doubt much has changed, except maybe the names of some things.

I’m going to finally hack my vita and this guide should still work right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Yes. If your vita is on 3.60 already then the easiest method is to use https://henkaku.xyz/ from your vita browser. If you're on higher firmware then just follow that guide.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ignis posted:

Yes. If your vita is on 3.60 already then the easiest method is to use https://henkaku.xyz/ from your vita browser. If you're on higher firmware then just follow that guide.

Ok thanks I’ll check tomorrow what it’s on but it hasn’t been updated in years.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

If it's on lower than 3.60, you should be able to follow these instructions to get to 3.60. https://henkaku.xyz/usage/#upgrading-to-360

I think the DNS server is still active, at least. The guide is also okay to follow, but imo the old install method is faster to recover from. The benefits of the method on the guide is that it'll auto install most plugins you'll need to work with, but plugin installation is pretty trivial to begin with

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ignis posted:

If it's on lower than 3.60, you should be able to follow these instructions to get to 3.60. https://henkaku.xyz/usage/#upgrading-to-360

I think the DNS server is still active, at least. The guide is also okay to follow, but imo the old install method is faster to recover from. The benefits of the method on the guide is that it'll auto install most plugins you'll need to work with, but plugin installation is pretty trivial to begin with

Ok thanks!

I guess my only question is, is the vita.hacks method more permanent? Like the henkaku needs to be redone after a reboot which is trivial I know. I’m just curious if one is really better.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Either works. vita.hacks.guide uses VitaDeploy, which will install Henkaku Enso (the hack that makes the custom firmware permanent) automatically. You'd have to install Enso manually if you don't use the vita.hacks.guide method, but it's basically downloading a file, upload it to your vita and install it. https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-enso-(3.60).html

I don't personally recommend the VitaDeploy method if you're already on 3.60, because it basically upgrades you to latest firmware only to downgrade you back to 3.60 and that's kinda silly tbh

Ignis fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 28, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just follow vita.hacks.guide and don't put any thought into it imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m not gonna go through them all to check what does what now but make sure whichever one it is makes you install enso, to make your life easier forever.

And if it ever says to unlink the memory card fuckin do it because otherwise it’s a huge headache.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Soul sacrifice delta servers go offline Christmas eve.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok yeah gonna see about upgrading to 3.60 I guess and go from there!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also grab an SD2Vita card, or the 3G mod so you have more storage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walla posted:

Also grab an SD2Vita card, or the 3G mod so you have more storage.

Yeah I already have two of the SD2vita cards because I thought I lost the first one

:doh:

The newer one is a lot nicer though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ignis posted:

Either works. vita.hacks.guide uses VitaDeploy, which will install Henkaku Enso (the hack that makes the custom firmware permanent) automatically. You'd have to install Enso manually if you don't use the vita.hacks.guide method, but it's basically downloading a file, upload it to your vita and install it. https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-enso-(3.60).html

I don't personally recommend the VitaDeploy method if you're already on 3.60, because it basically upgrades you to latest firmware only to downgrade you back to 3.60 and that's kinda silly tbh

I assume that's for plugin reasons. God knows people still install poo poo that's been abandoned for five years and won't work on 3.73 that they found in some youtube video or whatever. Waiting a few more minutes to downgrade again isn't much trouble to avoid something dumb like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Installing Enso worked pretty easy after doing Henkaku.

The home brew stores seem to crash a lot lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ineffiable posted:

Soul sacrifice delta servers go offline Christmas eve.

And uh Freedom Wars.

Does anyone still play Soul Sacrifice? I beat it but never really figured out how to get strong enough for post game stuff. Just never felt like I was doing significant damage.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Zenostein posted:

I assume that's for plugin reasons. God knows people still install poo poo that's been abandoned for five years and won't work on 3.73 that they found in some youtube video or whatever. Waiting a few more minutes to downgrade again isn't much trouble to avoid something dumb like that.

h-encore2 requires 3.68 onward iirc, which is what the tool uses for patching the CFW. VitaDeploy also prepackages essential plugins on the install.

Speaking of essential plugins, here's a list of essentials https://github.com/MuxaJlbl4/Awesome-PlayStation-Vita

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How is RetroArch on Vita, if I want to play some NES games on it is that the easiest way to do so?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

How is RetroArch on Vita, if I want to play some NES games on it is that the easiest way to do so?

It's great, here is a guide

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/04/27/ps-vita-guide/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

In Training posted:

it's bad. nes retroarch is better than most other cores i messed with, but in general the interface is weird and buggy and obnoxious as hell. i am very disappointed with using my vita as an emulation machine

it's decent if there's a specific game you want to play, and you just play it. i did that with LttP on SNES and it was basically fine, because i could set up a shortcut or whatever and not interact with the actual retroarch, uh, _stuff_. but for "browse a big folder of roms, play one for fifteen minutes, repeat with a new rom" type stuff it's pretty bad.

that said, i dont know of any better way

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

it's bad. nes retroarch is better than most other cores i messed with, but in general the interface is weird and buggy and obnoxious as hell. i am very disappointed with using my vita as an emulation machine

it's decent if there's a specific game you want to play, and you just play it. i did that with LttP on SNES and it was basically fine, because i could set up a shortcut or whatever and not interact with the actual retroarch, uh, _stuff_. but for "browse a big folder of roms, play one for fifteen minutes, repeat with a new rom" type stuff it's pretty bad.

that said, i dont know of any better way

Yeah in messing around with some other emulators like pSNES they seem largely bunk and super annoying to use. But the PSXonPSP stuff is incredible and still the best reason to set up the Vita home brew, so maybe things will improve over time!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Yeah, my experience with SNES on Vita TV wasn’t all that good. Final Fantasy VI could not maintain a 60 FPS rate; it went between 54-56 most of the time and a few spots dipped into the 40s (looking at escape from the Magitek factory).

Shame as I thought that would be easier to move romhacks to than an R-Pi. But the PSP/PSX stuff worked very well.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
whats good with vita hacking these days. are they translating any jp only psp games. can you make a better front end

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ShadowedFlames posted:

Yeah, my experience with SNES on Vita TV wasn’t all that good. Final Fantasy VI could not maintain a 60 FPS rate; it went between 54-56 most of the time and a few spots dipped into the 40s (looking at escape from the Magitek factory).

Shame as I thought that would be easier to move romhacks to than an R-Pi. But the PSP/PSX stuff worked very well.

Would the FFVI PSX port work better or is that too technically hosed up in its own right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

John Romero posted:

whats good with vita hacking these days. are they translating any jp only psp games. can you make a better front end

Yeah, there is a replacement launcher but I haven't tried it. There's some translations being released for both Vita and PSP, mostly on gbatemp

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 4, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Would the FFVI PSX port work better or is that too technically hosed up in its own right?

Never, ever play the FFVI PSX port. Unless you like 30 second load times on a SNES game. It's beyond crap. I paid next to nothing for it and I still regret it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Stare-Out posted:

Never, ever play the FFVI PSX port. Unless you like 30 second load times on a SNES game. It's beyond crap. I paid next to nothing for it and I still regret it.

This. I wanted FFVI emulated for Brave New World on a larger screen but the frame rate just wouldn’t work for me. PSX version of FFVI has those ungodly load times and really sours the experience.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best Gundam game on this system

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Fixins posted:

Super robot wars X/V

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam Assault Survive was pretty fun for awhile

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gundam Breaker 3 as long as you pump your clock rate up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gundam Seed Battle Destiny was fun if you're okay with Seed. Shin Musou was a good time too.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Fixins posted:

Rated PG-34 posted:

Super robot wars X/V

I recently picked up SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (lol) and if you like the UC gundam timeline it's an awesome game that very much follows the SRW gameplay mold. its got something like 300 mobile suits to collect, all from the UC ranging from 0079 to 0096, not to mention craploads of pilots and also dozens of warships like white base to deploy them from, pilot skills, modifications that are awarded for special objectives, etc...its kind of a grindy game but with a ton of content(it comes on two carts) and I'd honestly potentially recommend it to certain SRPG fans who don't even like gundam.

It's also neat in that instead of one overarching mash up story like SRW, it has a bunch of different story arcs from various UC series- ranging from well known ones like the original series, 0080 and Unicorn, to lesser known ones like IgLoo or zeonic front- so its a good way of getting the broad strokes of the stories from those media entries. The battle animations are also really awesome. I've found it to hold my interest much more than SRW V did, which I also own on vita, though the gameplay itself is largely similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpztvDQUQ0c

main downside is you'll probably have to import, which means $$ (there's an english language version available on playasia and other importers for like ~$55). but if you like both univeral century gundam and SRPGs this game will give you a lot of mileage.

tl;dr reenact that one stoned argument you had with your friend about ramba ral showing up at a baoa qu with a secret squad of qubeleys

and yes if you understand any of that last sentence you are a huge fuckin nerd

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 11, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gamespot Vita retrospective from someone who has never played a Vita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDms6kLw7s

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gamespot Vita retrospective from someone who has never played a Vita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDms6kLw7s

Yeah this was cool. Even though it does essentially label the Vita as a P4G machine, but it's not really untrue.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

P4g is just probably the most popular western game which is why they are saying that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There is a System Shock port on the Vita now which is pretty cool!

https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock

Unfortunately it a) requires the game files from the Classic version on GoG b) uses the front touchpad to turn the character so it's nearly unplayable for me but still pretty cool!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Marx Headroom posted:

nearly unplayable

True to the original then

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah this was cool. Even though it does essentially label the Vita as a P4G machine, but it's not really untrue.

It was also a digimon cyber sleuth machine!...until the switch happened

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

It was also a digimon cyber sleuth machine!...until the switch happened

They were on PS4 also (in the west)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Vita is also a PS1 and PS4 remote play machine though!