Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Turns out Steins;Gate explains the true meaning of "moe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Dehry posted:

They wrote off 11 billion worth of VIta and PSTV parts in 2015 (Fiscal year 2014) after the Vita TV flopped. I think they were re-purposing Vita 1000 parts to try and use what they already had. They noted that pretty much the entire increase year to year was due to them not having to write off parts this year. They've been hiding Vita numbers since launch, first behind PSP numbers then lumping them in with "others" after PSP was discontinued. I like to search and see if they even mention the Vita in their financial statements.
So, they were losing money on the vitas because they simply didn't sell?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Okay thanks!

Now to start researching what other Vita games I might want to get down the road. Currently my list is made up pretty much entirely of Falcom games

If you have decently good wifi, get helldivers. It's incredibly fun to play and works perfectly with the vita format. Just make sure you play with headphones of some kind, because the mic is on by default (you want it on).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

i can get thinking it's off-topic but idk why it'd actively annoy you
Personally agreeing with bloodychill, but not specifically about epitasis and more about the fact that this thread is off-topic at least half the time, and that's on good days. It would be nice to be able to click on the vita games thread and actually read about games i can play on the vita.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

So is there much point in playing the PSP project diva games or should I just get Diva F2? (And X when it comes out)

Those aren't on the psn store, are they?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

No, but I can import them and play them on my PSP, and this seemed like the most likely thread to hive me a response, because I think the imports thread died.

Given how many of the best hand available on the vita are psp games, I've half a mind to suggest making it a combined thread. Is there still a psp thread?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

helldivers does not seem like a great game for vita, not sure i can learn to stroke the back touchpad well enough in high pressure situations.

that's part of the design. they made lots of actions kind of tricky I handle so you have to think more about it or develop really good muscle memory. you'd think on pc it's easier, but the way they made the mouse controls it's almost harder. get used to the game trying to get you to kill yourself and your comrades. :haw:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Breaking RPGs without just doing meaningless grind to over-level requires a lot of strategy and thought, and that's appealing to some people. It's not for everyone, though.

And the Disgaea series is built to be only fun of you embrace that kind of puzzle solving, where the puzzle is not an explicit one, but the combination of all systems in the game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Sony says the Vita network issue has been fixed and was unrelated to the update, and to contact them if the battery issue persists.

Got a link to that?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wow, grade A customer communication from Sony there. Thanks for the link in any case. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Emong posted:

I dunno, but I'm backing my PSTV up every night from now on so I don't have to replay the first four chapters of Cyber Sleuth over and over.

Get PS+ and activate the automatic save backup to the internet. Never worry again. (Aside from PSP/PS1 games.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ddogflex posted:

So Sony is saying "contact support" if your battery dies overnight in sleep mode? Mine has done it every loving night since 3.57. Anyone know what they recommend doing?? I'd rather not call their poo poo support.

Since you didn't read other comments: Contact them so they can collect info about your Vita and figure out why it's happening.

Also:

Looper posted:

"If you are having problems please contact support"
"NO I don't wanna!"

Ruggington posted:

The design of the main character is something

Wow, her backside is literally bodypaint.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

If it's a dumb fix and you gotta wade through several pages of canned troubleshooting scripts from the poor poo poo on the other end of the line to get to the dumb fix, I could see wanting to know that dumb fix instead of going through it yourself :shrug:

If there is a dumb simple fix, i'd love to hear it, but from the comments made so far it sounds like they don't actually have one yet and need customer data.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

BlazeEmblem posted:

BUY KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE! It is one of the best games I have ever played.

:yeah:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You may want to get PS+ for the automatic online savegame backups and maybe the occasional decent free PS+ game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

No but I don't think I've ever played a Vita game online (the only one I can even think of is Killzone)

Good Vita online games:

Freedom Wars, Helldivers, Soul Sacrifice (probably more)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, but who is rating Steins;Gate below MLA?

The demographics of "lots of cute girls and cute boys who look like girls" are much bigger than the demographics for "nerdy time travel with slightly weird art". (Saying this as a big fan of S;G.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

hate to tell you this, but steins;gate has that too

I'm aware of that, but please consider the balance between how many girls and girl-like people there are in muv luv, and how much Daru there is in S;G. At the end of the day S;G pushes, overall, more people away who're simply looking for some eye candy.

Edit: In other words, S;G doesn't throw boobs at the player.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

When i mentioned Daru i was thinking more about the sheer amount of 2ch jokes, as well as the massive amounts of exposition about LHC-tan and Kerr Black Holes, both of which'll have the eyes of many people who just want some good 'ol titties glaze over.

I feel like you're trolling me by pretending to not grok that.

The Taint Reaper posted:

They look like they all have beards.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 7, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

al-azad posted:

If I have the bad translation Sword Art Online do I get any added value from going to the redone version at the $5 sale price? Is there extra content to justify it? I really don't care about bad translations, I just want my dose of bad anime and grinding before bed but if there's more bad anime stuff to be had...

The translation on the ps4 version has better grammar, but it's also an exceedingly bland "middle ages rp" translation. The gameplay is also changed in a way to remove some skillful things you can do, iirc skills have massive cooldowns and sp don't matter anymore.

Unless you really hate nonnative English, stick with the vita version.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Vita is getting a new ClaDun game: ClaDun Sengoku.
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/cladun-sengoku-announced-ps-vita

The "teaser video" is a bit of a troll, unless you really like mildly generic chiptune music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mj8k3aCrCY

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm not even sure where you guys are seeing slo-mo there.

Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JGrU_W_eWtA

This is all in gameplay speed. The gif has the bit where she's running up a wall and transitions into kicks off of it, as well as the spin around the pole. None of that looks slowed down.

The only notable observations are:

The framerate is kind of crap (might be the video though).

The hit pause frames (used in *many* games involving close physical combat) are extremely long. Usually they're just literally 1-2 frames during which the game freezes time to indicate a successful hit, but in this case it's like almost a second, and the camera keeps moving during the pauses and only the people stop. I think they're trying to make it look like an actual anime.

Edit: The whole thing feels like it has the timing sensibilities of Godhand.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 9, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I kinda like the hit pauses, it makes the hits look meaty to me :shrug:

Saoshyant posted:

It makes it look pretty drat sluggish and in turn loses my interest. Imagine playing an entire game where it feels like you are hitting things in slow motion. It cannot be satisfying.
The feature itself is fine, the pauses are just weirdly long. Toukiden is a good example of how to do it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrT6BikiE0E&t=13s

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

why did FAU ever tell us the unfair probation period ended :ohdear:

You can still report it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Actually, looking at the trailer i get the feeling they couldn't get it running at a certain framerate, so they decided to make things a little bit slower and deliberate to make it remain playable while maintaining the style.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Also a bunch of stuff off PS+ but a lot seems like garbage.
PS+ usually has one good game (Helldivers is great) and a bunch of bargain bin games that nobody would buy otherwise.

The real value is in the automated savegame backups. Make sure you enable them with the yellow + symbol on the game card.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Stanos posted:

Speaking of those backup saves, do they play nice with saves that were backed up without PS Plus? I did a Vita backup a few months back when I didn't have PS Plus and I want to take one of the saves from that backup and use it. I'd like both preferably but I don't have a lot of experience with the PS Plus backup system.

If you overwrite the save with one from a PC, it'll likely disable the ps+ save, and then prompt you to upload it once you reenable it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

how could you disagree with miku's choices?!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

drat, you weren't kidding. There's even a trophy.

Edit: How many jump scares are in there? It looks nice and all, but if the horror is 90% "babby's first horror movie trick", then meh.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 9, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Looper posted:

how can you even tell that's miku without being told

After P4D we can recognize any form of Miku.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm not sure i'd call that version of her cute. More like, good character in a silent hill game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

hatsune miku: "if nobody thinks of me... i'll literally starve to death!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uT9lw7qxQ

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

voltcatfish posted:

isn't there a song where Miku is a horrible space monster abomination that also got a very expensive figurine

that song's uncuter
That's Calne, I believe. She got MULTIPLE figures!
Holy poo poo, i can handle a lot, but the imagery in that video made my skin crawl. It's definitely designed to trigger various phobias. Very much not :nms: and i don't say that lightly.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

hmmm never heard that song before let's see what all the fuss is abo-JESUS CHRIST :cry:
I warned you! :gonk:

Saoshyant posted:

That's Kagerou Days.
That one is indeed super adorable.

Davincie posted:

in the hatsune miku opera 'the end' she contemplates death, gets eaten alive and worse and all this is 3D while wearing clothing designed by louis vuitton.
Are you just stringing random words together or is this an actual thing?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Stanos posted:

Kagerou Project. If you've played IA/VT Colorful a few of the songs from it are on there like Imagination Forest (the video in IA/VT and the official one are...quite different in tone), Kisaragi Attention and Children's Record. I've never seen it but it's about kids/teenagers with weird eye powers.

EDIT: The forest one was the most bizarre split from themes. 3D vocaloid dressed like a matryoshka doll looking for a way out versus an animated video where a young girl sees her mother's implied brutal murder because she's actually a snake monster and hides in her home for years as a result. Although half of those videos are depressing even without context.

The forest one isn't very depressing though, it's actually really cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiLDFWB2kHA

Got a link to the 3d version?

Healbot posted:

This is the Happiness and Peace of Mind Committee. It's my personal favourite.
Just in case you weren't aware: There's actually a 4:30 version of that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OuXkG39cA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OuXkG39cA&list=PLE3HjmQMwpQRSogCH9W1IvTLY-e8v8lRv&index=7

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

e: nvm, linked already.
Nah, i linked a version that's one minute longer, but doesn't have the 3d stuff.

Also, have a follow-up to the happiness committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh8hkx6uxwM

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Stanos posted:

Also yeah it is eventually, it's just one of those things I found skimming Jin's other videos looking for a few songs off IA/VT I liked (the 1:30 and Hello World? I think it is. And I like Ishifuro's songs off there, the ones with the tiny IA and basic drawings), watched it and kinda went :stare: watching her mother get the crap beat out of her.

I guess matroyshka isn't the correct term for that dress type but it reminded me of my grandma's old dolls like that at first.
Haha, oh man, that sure is a contrast. And it's actually a decent bit weaker without the animations to it.

Also, honestly, having known Utata-P's work before i expected a few more songs like that, but Chiri Chiri Juso is the closest we came, if i remember correctly. (Look up the lyrics to this one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3or-lwDi3o

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

By "songs like that" i meant "playful songs with a dark side", not from a specific artist. In any case, thanks for linking that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

darth cookie posted:

It's your duty to be happy! :suicide: