Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
And still no price drop on Ys VIII :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's on sale in EU

Thanks, but would rather not go through account switching stuff. Not really sure how it would work on the Vita, either, regarding saves and multiple PSN accounts on a system.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played Soul Sacrifice Delta, and even beat it, but I never found much satisfaction in it the same way I did in Toukiden or Monster Hunter. I just felt like the monsters took far too long to take down, and I constantly felt like I was doing something wrong, even when using elements the monster was supposedly weak to. The flavour is unmatched though, the stories and such are cool as hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's weird having a Vita as the system as a whole dies. Every system I've owned has been usurped by another before its final moments - by the time Sony cancelled the PS3, for example, it was already in my closet, with the PS4 in its previous space on the tv shelf.

But the Vita doesn't really have any actual successors. Like, maybe the Switch, but not really. So it's going to be very strange when I boot the thing up and realize that no games will ever be released on it again, and that from that point on I'll be going into the console's history for games to play, rather than wondering what's coming out on it in the future.

Just a strange feeling, is all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Huh, let's see what this is

"a young man named Yūta Iridatsu - a normal high school kid whose"
zzzzzzzzzzz

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pretty much any anime plot that starts with "a normal everyday guy who suddenly-" gets a big ol' no from me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Hey guys -- how useful is the vita for playing PS1 classics and remote play? I'd love to play some old, bad PS1 games and maybe stream some PS4 games when my roommates are using the TV for dumb, normal stuff. Is it worth the price for these two features? Could I grind out Destiny 2 strikes with this bad boy?

The remote play is pretty good, but I'd hesitate on using it for such an action-filled game like Destiny, especially strikes. Maybe the parts where youre chilling out and just running around cleaning up easy missions or something, but despite a decent connection, it can still be prone to spikes of lag that might mess you up.

That said, for games that don't require reflexive maneuvers, remote play is great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any way to sync saves between a handheld Vita and PSTV? To jury-rig a vita switch?

Using PS+? The only other way would be if you could plug the PSTV into a computer and transfer saves over that way (no idea if this is possible, never seen a PSTV).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Why would someone do this, why. Doesn't the PSTV have less functionality than the Vita itself?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hi. I bought a vita to play danganronpa at work and also play Ridge Racer Type 4 at work, because the Switch so far lets me do neither of those things.

Other than Persona, if I'm into more modern/future-setting jrpg stuff than fantasy stuff like Dragon Quest or Ys, what are the cool options, especially for story-based stuff?

(also I haven't properly started persona, is P3P the best one to start with or are the PS1/PSP Persona 2 games alright? I heard Persona 1 is dated and kind of tonally different from the rest of the series so I'll probably save that as a completionism thing if that)

also are there things that are like anime titty games except for gay dudes. asking for a friend

Dream Daddy just came out on PS4...not sure if it's on Vita though.

Can't say if it's any 'good', per se, but the Akiba's Beat series is a modern-day RPG. So is the Caligula Effect, but I can say that one isn't good.

There's also Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and some sequels, set in pseudo-modern-day-Tokyo. With digimon. And hacking? Something like that.

Not a Vita game, but if you have a Switch, I imagine you know about The World Ends With You?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh man, Ys VIII is finally on sale for the Vita. About time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Great! You’re going to save a whole (looks at website) four dollars on a $32 game!

$53.49 CAD to $37.44.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The difference is I think English+French is like legally required in Canada lol

Yeah. 'Cept no one cares except the Quebecois.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

How could USA schools teach people that Mexico is on another continent if there's a wall to be built, they couldn't do that if there no land border. But at least the mystery with English + French is solved, thanks for explaining that.

...you do know that, for example, Europe and Asia are two different continents that have a land border, right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

If you haven't played the greatest mind gently caress time travel warfare otaku character growth visual novel yet, Steins Gate is on sale for 9$ right now:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/104517/steinsgate

It's extremely good, but isn't some sort of Stein's;Gate game coming out in the near future with extra content and stuff?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm of two minds: I currently have a Vita, but a little while ago it fell off my bed and developed a small crack in the screen, so I'm quite tempted to get another on the cheap and keep the cracked one as my backup.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wait is that going to be based on the original game that the vita series was a sorta sequel to?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just had a dream last night where a tiny crack in my Vita (that exists irl) widened and the entire OLED screen just...popped off, busted. I was so sad.

Basically what I'm saying is that maybe I am a prophet and need to make sure this thing is better protected. My handheld anime bullshit device!

Seriously though I still have a number of games to play on this and would be dismayed if it stopped working for whatever reason

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

One day I may hack my Vita, but I've still got a heck of a backlog to get through so...not this day, not yet.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just transfer my saves and game data to my computer every now and then. It's easy and painless.

This, of course, does not account for a completely failed memory card though. I've got the 8gb that my system came with as a backup, but hoping it's not something I'll need to address.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

It's anime as gently caress because it's the Vita (also, a crossover with some property I never heard of) but it's Virtual On!

I think it's A Certain Magical Index, a light novel and anime with the plot of 'in a world of unique people, a boy who is even more unique is surrounded by women and is a hero despite being a bumbling idiot'. At least that's the impression I get from a couple descriptions of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

I asked in the PS4 thread but might have better luck here: has anyone played the Utawarerumono games? I've been interested in them, and now that they're on sale I might pull the trigger. I've watched a couple youtube gameplay videos, but it's hard to get a sense for if the games are any good or not, to be honest.

Eh, they're okay. The first one is, first and foremost, a visual novel. Across the entirety of the game there are only 15 actual battles that take place. The second one has a lot more, and actually feels like a tactics game rather than a vn with a couple bits of gameplay. The actual combat is, if I remember right, not too bad.
The story in the first game is boring as poo poo and its obvious it's entire purpose is character development for the second game. It's also got some creepy ero moments involving upskirts or spa scenes, as well as a pair of characters who are basically sex slaves to the main character (but also do magic in combat). The second game is where things actual get interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So what are the odds the system patch was to force players of that baseball game to patch up?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why is Sony even bothering at this point? They stopped selling vitas and they haven’t made a vita game in a long while either iirc

It looks bad if there's piracy on your system and you do nothing to address it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Andrast posted:

It's a dead console, nobody cares

As long as you can still purchase games for it, it's not a dead console to Sony or the people that make those games. This isn't like the PS2 where once the physical games stop being shipped the rest of the console's life is based on the used sales and such.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Also, wow Valkyria Revolution got a Vita release?

Yup that's the version I played. Take the bad gameplay, characters, and...everything of the game, combine with bad pop in and model distance scaling.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat Soul Sacrifice Delta but I never feel like I really enjoyed it. It felt like every battle was taking forever, and there was little feedback on why - even using weaknesses and such I could barely tell which powers were stronger/better than others, if I was even hitting the weakpoints I was supposed to target, etc. I really wanted to like it, and kept picking it up to do all the extra missions, but it always stymied me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like the Vita is in its death throes. Assuming the P4G rumors are true, that is.

Unlike the past couple of years, when it's been thriving

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What do you mean borrowed time? Do they just randomly break or is Sony gonna brick them?

The memory cards for vita are notorious for just ceasing to function after some time, especially the larger ones.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

How is emulation on the vita so poor? I removed playing emulated games on the PSP with no issue at all

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

my experience with retroarch on vita was, much like my posts, disappointing.

Yeah much like your po-gently caress

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The ps6 store will just be a giant square marked BUY GAME that you click and it deducts 80 bucks from your account and gives you a random game.

Edit: I know not what you will use to buy ps6 games, but ps7 games will be bought on an interface made from sticks and stones

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It has a very 'if you're not going to play by our rules we're taking our toys and you can't play with them' kind of energy to it. I wonder if they'd try to take away the ability to play the games you own as well, if it wouldn't create an incredible backlash and maybe legal problems if they did.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

If the memory card dies, is it possible to hack your vita at that point to get the sd card adapter thing on it, or do you need to do it before the card failure?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You need to keep a fourth vita in a safety deposit box in case you need to flee your home.

Then a fifth vita buried in a location only you know the location of, with riddles and deadly traps awaiting those who dare seek it out.

Edit: guess I should hack mine. What's the best place to start? I imagine things have changed greatly since the last time I looked this up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Soul sacrifice delta servers go offline Christmas eve.

And uh Freedom Wars.

Does anyone still play Soul Sacrifice? I beat it but never really figured out how to get strong enough for post game stuff. Just never felt like I was doing significant damage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Apparently netflix will stop working on vita on October 16th.

Everyone is gonna say 'vita had netflix???'

Vita ha- aw gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You know, Soul Sacrifice Delta is neat and all but there's something about the game's lack of feedback that rubs me the wrong way. I never know if I'm doing a good job, if I'm actually hurting the creature, if the damage type I'm doing is correct, if I should be changing tactics/spells/whatever. I just sorta do stuff until the thing dies or I do.