Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh yeah that happens to both of mine. It looks kinda funky, but I never notice it unless the screen is all-black. And I've never noticed any problems with image retention/burn-in. I thought that stopped being a problem after plasma TVs went away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Szurumbur posted:

I've a question probably no one has the answer to, but I'm curious if any one has some thoughts: what was the reason behind linking PSVita game bubbles with save data, even on cart? My ideas are along the thought of making the bigger memory cards more valuable, since you can't just delete the games; also, to make people more eager to buy and maintain PS+ subcription, since that enabled cloud saves.

However, foolish as that might be, I keep wondering if there were any positives to the practice, and I can't think of any - especially since PSX and PSP games had separated saves.

No idea. Save data is stored in a completely separate set of folders from game data, it would not have been very difficult at all to have a submenu in the Settings app that let you delete saves on a per-game basis, separate from the bubble.

But then again storage on Vitas is just weird overall. Did you know that even the "no internal storage" OLED Vitas have an internal partition with more than 2.5 GB of space you're never allowed to interact with unless you jailbreak your system? All that's normally stored on there is your bubble-layout and some preferences and system files, you'd never in a million years take up more than a couple tens of megabytes of it through normal usage.

I haven't jailbroken my PSTV yet, but my understanding is that the 2K Vitas and PSTVs don't actually have any additional internal storage compared to OLED models; instead, they've just taken a gigabyte from that existing internal partition and made a new partition from it, which takes the place of the memory card if there's no physical memory card in the machine during boot.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 20, 2021

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Necrothatcher posted:

I read somewhere that the partition is there so Sony knows every Vita always has space to download and install critical firmware updates.

Kind of makes sense, but also Vita firmware updates are less than 150MB.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

History Comes Inside! posted:

It also has that port that eventually never did anything. They probably had plans down the line for features that never made it off the ground and the memory was there to accommodate them.

Okay yeah, I can see that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah I figured you'd have to use Adrenaline, didn't know it wasnt an emulator though.

Adrenaline is just a way to access the built-in PSP hardware emulator that the Vita already uses to play all the PSP and PS1 Classics content you download from the PlayStation Store

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TheCenturion posted:

The vita would have been perfect if it'd had more ram.

It has more RAM than a PS3

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jolo posted:

I've got my Vita modded to use an SD card, if I mod the Vita TV the same way can I swap the sd2vita between them and play everything that way?

I remember after getting the Vita TV that it wasn't all that user friendly so this might not work as easily as I'd like.

No idea, but I'd be interested to hear the answer if you try it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I have one of the 1K Nyko grips and it really makes it more comfortable to hold. The battery is absolute poo poo garbage though.

And yeah they're impossible to find anymore, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I still use mine all the time

Right now I'm reading The House in Fata Morgana on it, and afterwards I think I'll flip a coin and see if I start the English translation patch for Trails in the Sky, or play Suikoden since one of my friends won't stop bugging me about how good Suikoden is