Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A fair warning: Neptunia VII is being let's played, so if you haven't finished the Re;Birth games, there may be some mild spoilers out there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw an interesting thing about Vita development in a second attempt at Undead Darlings (a DRPG by former Hyperdimension Neptunia translators)

quote:

I love my Vita. Over 96GB of games and I still need more room. Dungeon crawlers work great on the Vita for their burst-playability. However, the Vita presents a series of hurdles—mainly cost-related—that prevent us from being able to support it right out of the gates. Unity has ceased its compatibility with Vita partially (its updates can no longer be assumed to be compatible with the Vita), which endangers compatibility of our game between builds/versions. That said, we can't in good conscience state that we're going to be crowdfunding for this specific platform because the costs associated with developing for it are a lot higher than the average gamer may think, especially now. And as a company's first title, these financial hurdles are simply too high for us to leap...

I think that's going to kill the indie scene quickly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/escha-logy-plus-complete-costume-set/cid=UP4108-PCSE00826_00-DCLSET0000000000

Escha and Logy Costume DLC is up. Free for 4 weeks, no purchase of the game required to claim.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus has the rights in the west, so probably not.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.unseen64.net/saintsrowundercover/

The cancelled Saints Row Undercover is available for download in ISO format. The control scheme is awful. If it had Vita controls it may have performed better.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The latest firmware locks you out of the store if you factory restore. Usually this is performed by people wanting to use DLC on import games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I beat the first half of Escha and Logy Plus playing as Escha. I didn't notice a lot of new content compared to the PS3 version, of course I kept the new characters out of my party save Nio. Early on there were a couple more field events with the new characters but later in the game I didn't encounter any more story bits. There are a couple new dialogue pieces that let the player shape Escha and Logy's relationship. Thankfully they're easy to tell the difference between with either a heart or a smiley face next to them. It leads up to a scene where they embrace but that's about as far as it goes without needing to play through Logy's side and get a true ending.

A lot of the dialogue mistakes are still there, including tje most obvious things. In one case they did rename an item to match the mission description text, but left in the S M L being backwards. That's just what comes with the game I guess. At least this time around they didn't completely screw up dialogue and put it as special attack sound effects.

Now that I've gone and played the game again, I'm really hating that calendar. I think that was my first play through of an Atelier game since Shallie came out and I'm glad Sophie is leaving it out. Missing 100% completion because you've got 10 days on a calendar and an item that takes 15 to produce is just frustrating.

Overall, it's the PS3 game on a mobile device. It suffers from slowdown but is playable. Just don't expect a massive overhaul like they're doing for Shallie.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like several Vita games got cancelled or delayed besides Rail Wars.

Energy Hook cancelled
Never Alone cancelled
Not a Hero cancelled
Civilization Revolution 2 is now "2016"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schrodingers cat posted:

Slow day:

New trailer for Atelier Shallie Plus holy poo poo these games keep coming out.

Land of No Nights is apparently now called Nights of Azure and will be localized in March? Do any of you know if that's still only for the PS4 version or are we still getting a Vita release?

Atelier Shallie is a fun game. The Vita version is actually going to have a better ending.

Nights of Azure is PS4 only and they said it would be reconsidered after the 2015 fiscal year comes to a close in April. Even then they weren't too impressed with the performance of the Vita version which is why they opted for PS4 only. The PS3 version also isn't coming out, and there's a higher install base on that system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q3_sony.pdf

Sony's quarterly report is out and it mentions the Vita's 11.2 billion yen parts write-off from last year being responsible for most of the 12.6 billion yen increase in revenue from last year.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I don't know what this means. Did they not manufacture any systems in 2015 or something?

Also:

They wrote off 11 billion worth of VIta and PSTV parts in 2015 (Fiscal year 2014) after the Vita TV flopped. I think they were re-purposing Vita 1000 parts to try and use what they already had. They noted that pretty much the entire increase year to year was due to them not having to write off parts this year. They've been hiding Vita numbers since launch, first behind PSP numbers then lumping them in with "others" after PSP was discontinued. I like to search and see if they even mention the Vita in their financial statements.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The DLC is bundled with the game and cannot be purchased separately. It will be re-launched in march as the game alone.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

How does the system handle switching data from one Vita Memory card to another? I don't mind losing the game data, as I can just re-download it, but how does it handle saves, like can I use a regular SD card to hold the saves, is there a slot for that?

Is there a way to back up a save game and then delete the game itself?

Copy to PC/PS3 with content manager, swap memory cards, copy back. This copies all data to the PC. To back up saves alone you need PS+

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/adventures-mana-released-iosandroid

Congratulations Vita fans. You pestered Square-Enix enough they'll look into bringing over a cell phone game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ipforce.jp/patent-jp-A-2016-7345

How about a nice piece of speculation?

Sony patent for R3/L3 Vita buttons.

http://pssokuhou.jp/archives/27099 (Pictures are there)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Substandard posted:

I feel like Sony should do a better job of advertising their sales across platforms. If I log into the PS4 and look at the sale stuff I should be able to see vita sale stuff as well.

The Vita is really more the portable companion for PS3. Whatever replaces the Vita, be it an APP or a new device will be integrated into the PS4 store.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/697495659646046208

Trillion now has an official date.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's worth mentioning there's only 3 canon games in the Neptunia series: Rebirth 2, Rebirth 3 (or the PS3 equivalents) and Neptunia V-II. Everything else is just an episode of Neptunia Guy. Believe it or not, a majority of the show runners in Japan are women.

Takoluka posted:

I keep forgetting Peashy is a thing.

They haven't forgotten the characters. They're all coming back for Blanc vs Zombies.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Reading up on it, it looks like the events of the missing chapter are covered by some drama CD. Which is still kinda lovely.

Unfortunately the ROI isn't as great as translating a video game or anime so no western company even bothers to bring it over. You're stuck looking for youtube videos with fan translation. I'm ok with it, especially if the "Messing around with *little sister character* in bed" track also goes missing with that CD.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://forum.nichegamer.com/threads/undead-darlings-campaign.355/page-2#post-13248

Here's an interview with Nick Doerr, the guy who translated all the mainline Neptunia games except Rebirth 1. It has some pretty interesting stuff about the development, and how he was actually asked to come back because of the sheer amount of changes to characters in Rebirth 1.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schrodingers cat posted:

More DOA X3 things showcasing Momoji and her fighting abilities. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see all the complaints about that "game" when the first time importers start getting it. It's just watching the girls with an occasional minigame to build their friendship. Some people actually think it's a fighting game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i really doubt this

It's been 10 years since the last console game so most of the young men with interest in the game (that only become aware of it when the shitfit started) don't know anything about it.

voltcatfish posted:

i don't play neptunia because I haven't turned my vita on in months

The PC is now the Nep-Nep machine. Senran Kagura is jumping ship too.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 15, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't played 5 yet so I didnt want to make any absolute statements.

Disgaea 4 really had the feel of a PSX or PS2 game with the stage sizes and animations. Going from 5 to 4 is a little jarring.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's not a new feature. They had it in DOAX2 and Paradise. You could even select the (at the time) 16 year old Ayane or 17 year old Kasumi and put them in a sequin bikini.

E: Getting a peek of the screenshot on my phone, it looks exactly like the same one from the older games. They're posed exactly the same.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schrodingers cat posted:

Also I post news articles with sometimes snarky, often very mediocre comments to spark discussions and keep the thread on track, I wasn't legitimately excited about this one.

This is the Vita thread. You never know. 15 year old me saw the DOAX2 ones so that's why I recognize the poses.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ps-vita-starter-kit-bundle-announced-japan

PS Vita starter kit announced for Japan

16GB memory card included. Comes in Blue or White. ~$175.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's the Aqua Blue gamestop color so you can buy one today.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My 3G Vita 1000 was $120 and then I got a 4GB card for $5 on clearance at Best Buy....In 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Downloading now. Let's see if it makes me change my mind.

Bhikkhuni's multiplayer is also live.

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/699812643813478400

Holy crap. so they have a 2GB patch at launch, and now add another 700MB for multiplayer? Can they even code a Vita game properly?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Armor-Piercing posted:

The LE for Stranger of Sword City is up for preorder on Amazon Canada and VGP.ca, if anyone was looking for it. I don't think we usually get NISA LEs on Canadian retailers so that was a bit of a surprise.

Has anyone played it? I already have more unstarted dungeon crawlers than I need, but it looks really nice.

Ask the Xbox One thread. They get it earlier.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

People usually recommend Escha & Logy. The battle system's good and the time limit is very lax, to the point that most have to sleep off months at the end.

It's not a good idea to waste any days by sleeping. The game's final months require a ton of stupid things like entering/exiting an area with every item slot filled with a single space item, having used one of every usable item, and having synthesized nearly everything. Even with 150 days left I was unable to meet one requirement since I had focused on leveling and turned in missions 15 days early.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fru Fru posted:

I liked Escha & Logy a lot but it really was too easy in a lot of ways so it probably is good for a first atelier game. And you aren't missing much storywise either.

That did kinda bug me when I finally got around to playing Shallie. It really felt more like a continuation of Ayesha than anything else. The only playable returning cast was DLC. I went E&L > Ayesha > Shallie which probably enhanced the effect.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.deepdiscount.com/senran-kagura-estival-summer-ed/853466001865

If anyone wants to risk :10bux:, there's a price mistake here on Senran Kagura Estival Versus. They tend to oversell quantities and have to cancel orders but are a legit site. It changes to "The Last Guardian" Vita in the description at checkout.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Like buying a PS Vita.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

So are any of the Neptunia games way better on pc or can I just play them all on my convienient, portable playstation vita games console?

PC versions are higher resolution and run at 60FPS. Otherwise there's nothing really new or different, aside from the Good Old Games version of Neptunia Rebirth 1 having some Dengeki Playstation costumes that weren't even in the Vita/Steam release. I guess you also miss out on being able to use trainers to fix drops and avoid hours of grinding.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, it looks like you can just avoid entirely by not taking too much damage.

After a few battles as each character you earn a "hard" version of the costumes and then they never break. Also the swimsuit DLC never breaks.

E: I also think the Blanc VS Zombies (enhanced sequel with a disconnected story) does away with the mechanic altogether and the torn up costumes were DLC.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 21, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

I think this site broke press embargo on something called PsychoPass getting localized by NISA?
EDIT: Oh it's a VN adaptation of an anime.

There's a whole event starting at 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific time where NISA will announce this year's games.

I'm pretty sure the trailer had a STEAM logo too.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So far nothing new out of the event. They're still liquoring up the press.

E:

Yomawari: Night Alone and teasing Criminal Girls 2 is the only stuff we didn't know about.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 23, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://uppers.marv.jp/news20160222.html

Uppers preorders are so low they've delayed it indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There hasn't been a peep out of Sony about the Vita despite its birthday being yesterday. That could be something.