Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyway, I tried DT2 on a whim and it seems like the gameplay is pretty solid, if you're cool with the fanservice. I dunno if I could, but it's for sure a better game than I originally thought.

It's good and I hope they release 2-2 or at least have an international English copy.

Kind of sad I'm running out of dungeon RPGs to play on Vita, about done with Demon Gaze and Stranger of Sword City or whatever is a couple months away. Where's Wizardry? Give Me Wizardry.

(I'm not playing Moe Chronicles, I've played some horrible fanservice games but let me pretend to have some dignity even though I own a Vita)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You too can get a copy of our game on vita for over the price of a borderlands 2 vita bundle.

Yeah, no way that's exclusive to that tier forever.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Pureauthor posted:

What are some good upcoming games?

I have Trillion and Stranger of Sword City preordered and...that's about it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, you are going to regret that one if you aren't absurdly patient.

Experience Inc DRPGs aren't that dickish for the genre compared to older titles (or hell, dungeon travelers had more mean poo poo later on with pit traps and conveyor belt mazes). The only real addition from what I read was potential permadeath and eh I'm not wild on it but that's what saves are for. I do however find it comical they decided you don't have to take a thief/burglar type character but instead added another near essential character to replace it. With operation abyss you were going to have a bad time without an academic, in demon gaze you were forced to take the utility class as the main character and now it's 'okay we won't FORCE a class on you but here's a class that's really important for dungeon traveling and keeping morale up, have fun!' Also not wild on more underwater maps since it means item hoarding but the water levels were mercifully short so whatever.

Mainly curious whether the ninja or the samurai is going to be the option to snap the game in half this time. Or maybe it'll be a surprise class this time, who knows? Warrior's always been a dark horse in those titles.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wonder if that monster was one of those practical jokes gone too far.

'Oh so they let a dick with a mouth in the game? Let's see them approve THIS!'

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I totally expect there was some infighting between business units that led to that.

Par for the course for a lot of Sony poo poo, or at least it was. My parents stopped buying sony electronics because of the weird proprietary poo poo that was annoying to replace if it was lost. The memory cards really are highway robbery though, ridiculous.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

SpacePig posted:

I'll post more about Uppers when there's whispers of a Western release. I really want this game just to punch dudes, and I could do without the weird boob grabbing and stuff in this trailer.

Same, looks cool but it'd be better if there was a mode that replaced all that with the chick in the trailer that slapped the taste out of your mouth for grabbing her boobs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The Anime Husband

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bought theme hospital on vita only to find it has no music, which is complete horse poo poo, the soundtrack is a huge part of the game.

Can I return things on psn due to them being loving bullshit?

For a less rude answer, usually if you boot it up you're out of luck.

(Also according to google, there was no music in theme hospital on the PS1. Odd.)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I can easily see Uppers getting picked up for translation and I hope it does. I still might import it anyway but it'd be good to have in English.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I made do with the 8 gig that came with my bundle but was really glad to find a used 32gb at a good price. I'd get a 64gb if it was a REALLY good deal but eh. If you do decide to get the 64gb, I think importing is still cheaper.

8 is about the bare minimum I'd consider acceptable though which is like 2 vita games and at least 1 PSP game. I know I had Miku, DT2, and Tactics Ogre with little space left at least.

EDIT: Games that I liked:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Falcom stuff
Dungeon Travelers 2 (Fanservicey as gently caress)
Demon Gaze (fanservicey but not as bad)
Operation Abyss (ends on a cliffhanger and I doubt the third part will be released in English since it apparently didn't do well in Japan)
Project Diva
IA/VT Colorful (import but perfectly reasonable to play with little/no understanding of kanji)
Stein's Gate

DT2 and Steins;Gate or whatever are on sale this week too, $20 is a pretty good price for the former.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so how bad is this new firmware update? I have an old as vita I never used that's stuck on 2.02, and I heard the latest version of 3.57 has some bugs/issues and shouldn't be downloaded until it's patched.

I really want to play that digimon game that came out.

I haven't noticed any issues personally. I might be using it differently from other people though because I plug mine in when it's not in use and haven't noticed the background draining or my battery not lasting as long.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's a crapshoot. Some people like myself are okay, some have the wifi draining issue, some have the store issues.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Awesome on Shiren 5 Plus, definitely looking forward to that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Speaking of those backup saves, do they play nice with saves that were backed up without PS Plus? I did a Vita backup a few months back when I didn't have PS Plus and I want to take one of the saves from that backup and use it. I'd like both preferably but I don't have a lot of experience with the PS Plus backup system.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The Vita really doesn't like you popping out the memory card when it's on so yeah I'd turn it off. I forgot how it happened (I think I was swapping to my JP memory card and didn't fully turn it off) but my memory card wasn't properly in and my vita yelled at me to not do that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The game takes off the training wheels around level 30 and only gets meaner from there. Both in monster packs and how they're placed.

You should REALLY get used to one way door monster ambushes.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
snoopnepmousepad.jpg

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

h_double posted:

It's been my go-to RPG for the past month or so and I like it a lot. It's easy to ignore the dippy fanservice after a few hours, and it really scratches that Wizardry / Might & Magic itch for me, plus modern quality of life improvements like automap. It's a big game too; I've sunk a ton of hours into it already, just recently unlocked the 3rd class for my main party, and by all indicators still have a sizable chunk of game ahead of me.

185-ish hours + 5 or so save scumming near the end for drops off late postgame fights according to my most 'complete' save. It's more if you don't mind refighting for drops but I usually just dropped a save before the fights and reloaded if I didn't get what I wanted. At $40 it was a lot of content, at the $20 it's been at lately it's a steal.

Looper posted:

how can you even tell that's miku without being told

The corner has the twintails icon, friend.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Saoshyant posted:

That's Kagerou Days. It's about a boy who keeps waking up on the same day unable to save his girl friend from dying in an unbreakable cycle. Then there's a twist at the end. I think they made an anime out of it.

Kagerou Project. If you've played IA/VT Colorful a few of the songs from it are on there like Imagination Forest (the video in IA/VT and the official one are...quite different in tone), Kisaragi Attention and Children's Record. I've never seen it but it's about kids/teenagers with weird eye powers.

EDIT: The forest one was the most bizarre split from themes. 3D vocaloid dressed like a matryoshka doll looking for a way out versus an animated video where a young girl sees her mother's implied brutal murder because she's actually a snake monster and hides in her home for years as a result. Although half of those videos are depressing even without context.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Mithaldu posted:

The forest one isn't very depressing though, it's actually really cute:

Got a link to the 3d version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhUMVkjBuNQ

Also yeah it is eventually, it's just one of those things I found skimming Jin's other videos looking for a few songs off IA/VT I liked (the 1:30 and Aria of the Planets? I think it is. And I like Ishifuro's songs off there, the ones with the tiny IA and basic drawings), watched it and kinda went :stare: watching her mother get the crap beat out of her.

I guess matroyshka isn't the correct term for that dress type but it reminded me of my grandma's old dolls like that at first.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

boho posted:

Is Dungeon Travelers 2 a good enough game to make slogging through the fanservice nonsense worth it, or should I skip straight to Demon Gaze?

The fanservice is terrible but the underlying game is good (vita.txt) if you like dungeon crawlers with some challenge on them. Even with a party I would consider closest to breaking the game over my knee there's still decent difficulty late postgame and plenty of rear end in a top hat monsters that could ruin your poo poo if you take them lightly. It's also a pretty long game since after the 'story' the otherworld opens and you get a decent chunk of new fairly large dungeons. Plus the subevents are pretty funny during dungeon exploration, there's a lot of character in the characters if that makes sense. They're still stereotypical Anime but it's done well enough. The game also tends to make fun of itself and realizes deep down the fanservice is stupid.

Demon Gaze has less fanservice and it's a nice 50 hour romp. The problem is you sort of have to make your own difficulty since artifacts let you destroy any semblance of challenge if you know what you're doing (A class with instant death mechanics base hitting 2-3 rows at a time, CROSS FIX, casters with both ultimate magic setups, dual wielding a two hander and a weapon that has a 90% rate to stun/paralyze most things on hit, etc) and Exp Inc's idea of a difficulty slider is 'If you don't have a paladin your entire party dies when the boss hits 35 times per round'. I like their games but they're so easy to snap in half once you learn the system.

CrashCat posted:

Since we're on the topic, what is the Spieler for since they seem to be a useless poo poo and all their skills cost basically as much SP as they can hold?

Spielers fork off into either puppets (uncontrollable familiars that heal, hit things, etc) or a quicker berserker-type. The base class is poo poo for reasons you stated, at 30 Soul Summoner or Papilion are decent choices depending on party makeup (need single target? Summoner. need encounter wide aoe? Pap.) and Jokers fill the position of 'mediocre early, hilariously destructive later'. But SP costs for spielers tend to stay pretty high throughout the game with Fried's books covering up for that. If you still don't like them at 30, turn one into a Pap to powerlevel itself later and take a Witch and a Bishop for the rest of story. Circle Heal, Circle Nurse and Witch nukes work together incredibly well.

There's a GameFAQs guide up now too with all the class/skill details for people who bought it on sale, you're the lucky ones that don't have to deal with the hackjob google translate does on the Japanese wiki.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

h_double posted:

Dungeon Travelers 2 question. I didn't understand how the respec system worked and didn't respec my skill points at level 30. Now my main party is around level 37-38, they are mostly okay skill builds but there's a couple of things I maybe would do differently. My understanding is that I get another free respec at level 50, and that I shouldn't worry about it much for now? If anything I'm a little overleveled for where I'm at in the main story.

Also, I read somewhere that weapon specialization skills are pretty bad? I dumped a bunch of points into sword skill for my main fighter, then changed to Samurai and feel like those are a lot of extra wasted points if I want to use a katana (currently using the Master Sword).

Thuryl already beat me to most of these answers but you're at a point where I wouldn't bother. If you're about that level and overleveled I'd place you at probably the Onsen and you'll get arguably the best scout and warrior gameplay wise there so you can just catch them up for their points.

Weapon skills get poor returns at about level 4 on (exceptions: spieler mastery sucks but is weapon agnostic, fan and projectile mastery is a bit better per point but fans are inferior to longswords raw damage wise and kunoichi suck rear end) but it's kinda sorta balanced out by the fact you get more atk so eh. You want to maintain a healthy balance depending on your team makeup since having highly leveled skills on TP-hogging classes early is an exercise in misery.

A Samurai should always use a katana due to their skills and sword mastery does not apply as katanas are affected by katana mastery gameplay wise. I'd argue both should apply since Samurais are kind of doo-doo compared to dark lords and it'd be a decent balance boost but that's how it is. I suppose you could just lean on frost slash more but you lose the higher marks on samurai in that they're very good against heavy armored targets and can do alright single target against stuff that isn't undead or magical. Power charge is just way too useful on bosses for the most part and bosses that are magical or undead pretty much dump on samurai's damage.

EDIT: Always use a 2H Katana as 1H katanas blow for the most part and fighters are all about being slow and having high ATK to crush past defenses.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 12, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
New flash holiday sale with perennial thread favorite Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus up for $15 along with Soul Sacrifice Delta, Rayman Legends and some other stuff.

I have a feeling the Army of Two game is going to be pretty bad but I've spent $2 on worse things I guess????

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I sometimes wonder how bad the howling would be if the internet was prevalent in the 80s considering Nintendo's censorship sprees.

I also don't understand people bitching about not-literal translations. Sometimes you have to compromise and sometimes things just don't translate well. But no, I need every lovely obscure 2chan meme in place so 5 people can laugh at it compared to the thousands or more who don't get it or think it's some weird translation hiccup.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Endorph posted:

on the other hand there are some translations that are worth criticizing and i dont think boiling it down to that is really smart

Oh sure some translations are garbage (haven't played it but SAO's apparently sucks, .hack back in the day [http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-these-are-supposed-to-be-jokes-right/], working designs if you hate punched up translations) but there's a line between a bad translation and 'we didn't word for word translate a foreign joke/pun/meme and replaced it with something along those lines to keep the general idea of the scene'

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There's a few good DLC characters that are better than the story characters (Mio, Lu for a Witch) but I almost never used them since I think they sound and look terrible and clash weirdly with the DT2 characters with the exception of Mio.

I do hope 2-2 is translated, I'd buy it day 1 easy. I also hope it's slightly better balanced for later content since the therian seal really throws melee characters out of whack with casters (or provide an item like it for casters). Why bother with chanting spells, fiddling with resists and anti magic zones when you can berserk up and beat the crap out of everything?

Txn posted:

Uppers demo is now available alongside a free theme.

Hell yea, grabbing that tomorrow on my PSTV if it works on that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I played it for like 30 minutes since it downloaded fairly fast. I haven't played SK or any other games of that type so I don't know if it's slow or not compared to them.

- The panties slot machine thing is weird but it did let me throw a motorcycle at people so that was cool I guess???
- Fighting was fun and linking between people worked okay.
- It works on PSTV if you're using that.
- From my limited understanding of Japanese the story felt about as stupid (in a good way) as you'd expect from the demo.

I probably won't import it but if it gets translated I'd probably buy it since it seems like one of those 'turn your brain off and enjoy the ride' type things that I enjoy once in a while. I feel like I'm missing stuff only getting bits and pieces of the story and that'd drive me nuts.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Can we get Metal Wolf Chaos instead of shipgirls, I'd buy that and both have about the same chance of making their way here.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It was alright, I guess? It's got kind of a weird vibe to it to where I feel like people will either really like it or really hate it. I like dungeon crawlers and I didn't like their dungeons so it was a bit meh to me. If I bought it at full price I'd probably be pissed but at the $20 I got it for it wasn't bad.

If I was gonna buy those games, in order:

- Ys
- Demon Gaze
- Disgaea 4
- Danganronpa
- Tokyo Twilight

The rest I haven't played or really have no urge to play (Criminal Girls)

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 19, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

13/f/cali posted:

Are you thinking of Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy? Because I don't think Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is a dungeon crawler (unless I misunderstood what you're replying to in which case oops).

The game is pretty interesting and I like it from what I've played of it, but battles have a lot of guesswork at times and it can be frustrating from time to time.

Eh I was a bit incorrect in what I said yeah. I remember buying it when dungeon type stuff was mentioned in a review and was sort of annoyed when it wasn't what I thought it was.

Also don't remind me of Operation Abyss, it just makes me sad thinking it ends on a lovely cliffhanger and the third game will probably never be translated :(

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah I kind of thought about it and then realized it was a pre-order so it'd probably get cancelled anyway.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Is the crafting like tactics ogre bad where it's insanely tedious to make anything or just rare materials that are a pain to farm?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Thuryl again covered most of the details but I'd argue Soul Summoners are a tiny bit better early if you don't need Rose Queen to clear random encounters faster. Mercidarion does a decent amount of damage as it's basically a baby version of danger shoot without as much hilariously random stuff. Also Tricksters/Jokers should use a 1h/shield since jokers get a lot more benefit out of the defense and speed over using a slow two hander and berserk is more dangerous without plate armor.

I'd also recommend you go sniper early for your scout, treasure hunters are alright and all but they don't really hit their stride until later when spell healing caps out and starts looking really crappy compared to items. Weak stab however is invaluable throughout the game and it kind of sucks to lose out on it. Kunoichi just plain suck and really have no good niche. Snipers blow them out of the water damage wise in all ways barring extreme piercing resistance, scrolls cap at 700 damage maximum and their skill tree is just a bloated mess. I don't know what they were thinking with them, if they could use dagger skills with projectiles it'd go a long way to making them decent but alas.

Also there's a gamefaqs guide with skills and stuff so you don't have to deal with google translate's butchery as much. Not everything but unless you're an insane completionist it's probably most of what you'll need.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Where do you even go with it? Add more women? Male clothes ripping mechanic? Turn it into an otome dating sim?

I guess my standards are lower than I thought (I already knew this, I own a Vita) because I thought the demo was okay. Nothing special but drat.

EDIT: Kenka Bancho for beat em ups if you somehow haven't played it when it wasn't on PSP is good too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Luceid posted:

I should definitely run more often, my inventory is often sagging from all the nonsense i'm picking up from killing everything.

in more DT2 chatter, i'm running Paladin (Alisia) - Berserker (Grishna) - Priest (Melvy) - Sorc (Lucy) and Dancer (Conette) but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't drop one of the mages or fighters for a scout of some flavour because my ability to interrupt spells is limited to lucky crits or shield bashes. But scout damage output seemed pretty anemic compared to two-handed weapons and magic, so it's a hard call!

Two magic users (Witch and Bishop) is a pretty good combo at 30 until the end of story mode so I'd drop the fighter. Preferably Alisia since the fighters tend to have better passives as the story goes on. Also taking 4 unique classes lets you see stats on bosses which is pretty useful for lining up resists and keeping track of health. I'd get an assassin for weak stab until 30 and then it's a choice between sniper and treasure hunter where sniper does a pretty crazy amount of damage but you lose weak stab (divine cannon has a higher than usual crit % but it's not 100%) and some great utility. Dagger users will usually do poor damage with the exception of pursuit stab on a target with a decent amount of buffs/debuffs but the therian seal you can get later in postgame helps to make up for it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
RIP my vita TV that I got for 50 bucks in a bundle (and most of it was for the memory card), the legend will never die.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Anora posted:

In DT 2, are there any way to respec other then a level reset, and can you change your class if you reset below the change level?

No and it depends. It resets everything when you level reset (including magical skill garnish and subevent stats) to base so if you reset to 1 you can't class change until 15/30 but if you reset at 50 you keep all the skill points up to 50 and can do both class changes.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wish they sold point cards, last time I bought one I felt like I could've done better on the price. Plus the exchange rate is nice right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'll buy it when it's on sale on steam eventually, it looks alright but not full price good to me.