Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I haven't tried this plugin personally, but if you're using homebrew on your vita there's this taiHEN plugin that lets you switch remote play controls https://github.com/nowrep/vita-ps4linkcontrols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Now that you mention it, it does seem kind of obvious, but doesn't North America also contain Mexico? Though I suppose they have to make do with English, like the rest of non-EFIGS European countries.

North America contains Mexico, Center America begins south of our border

I think USA teaches people that NA is just USA and Canada though?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You can get a replacement OLED screen for cheap on ebay, if you don't mind being hands-on with repairments

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You can just use a USB on a Vita TV and it'll save you the game card slot

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Counterpoint: you can basically do the same on both firmwares except cheats

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Atomizer posted:

You think that's bad? I set up an 802.11b WAP and tried the browser on my PSP.... :stonk:

You could run Opera Mini on a PSP so that's still better off than the Vita stock browser imo

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Mine barely charges anymore and the grip texture chafed a bit, but it's still crazy confortable

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

I just really want to play Persona 4 Golden on my commute to work and outdoors. I'm not comfortable hacking it. Is there another way I can finish playing this amazing game? Also if I do hack a ps vita could I then play Persona 3 portable? or Persona Q/Q2?

Honestly, you should hack it anyways - sd2vita alone is worth the hack and you'll save a ton of cash on memory cards. Depending of the firmware the hack can be pretty painless. You can still use PSN, use remote play, browse the store and other stuff as normal, plus the Vita is a decent portable emulator machine if you end up going that route. There's no danger of getting banned as long as you stay clear of cheats plugins.

e: p3p is on the psn store, you can download and play it on your vita hacked or not. If you do hack it there's also an undub version of p3p, but :filez: etc

Ignis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 12, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I'd say find a Vita with firmware 3.60, that's the golden firmware plus the easiest to hack (go to website, install one app so you don't have to visit the website every time, done). The OLED (1000) vs LCD (2000) is a tired argument so just go for whichoever you like, you can hack either of them. (Here's a video comparison. OLED looks prettier, uses its own kind of USB cable, battery lasts about 4-5 hours of moderate use; LCD uses a regular micro USB cable, battery lasts about a couple hours longer than the OLED)

Don't get a physical copy of P4G, sd2vita will take the slot of the game card so you won't be able to use it. Or get it if you're into collecting? :shrug: You can copy the cart to the sd2vita, but it's probably easier to just get it digitally.

Atomizer posted:

Is there any difference between the SD adapters? I noticed some of them have different "versions" and brands but it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually all pretty much the same....

They're functionally the same, but the difference is in the sizes. The v5 (or v 3.0, the white one with black lettering) is the exact size of a cartridge which lets it fit neatly inside the slim models, the others don't fit entirely and you have to leave the lid open. The one that's just a red board is also difficult to extract. tl;dr get the white ones

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

Before I buy them tho is there a benefit to buying the physical version of a game like Persona 4?

P3P and P4G should fit fine on that memory card, if you buy the physical you'll save some space. Keep in mind that if you hack and use sd2vita for storage, you won't be able to use physical carts at the same time.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You could use emulators through Adrenaline, emus on PSP have more years of work and improvements upon them so they run games better overall.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Motherfuckers

I hacked my Vita but was holding off on a free weekend to do the PSTV. Oh well!

What firmware is it right now? If you haven't turned it on it should be fine to hack. If it already downloaded the update but you haven't installed it yet, you can also still hack it - Vita can't autoinstall updates without your approval.

e: if you unfortunately had that pstv on 3.70 ofw, then try and follow this method ASAP to get trinity and downgrade to 3.60/5

Ignis fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 23, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

After regressing the firmware you have to reinstall the hack, that's why all the guides mention how to install things from scratch. You won't lose any other data, but your sd2vita won't work until you get henkaku back working. This guide and its follow-up for 3.60 should cover a couple extra modoru-related steps.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

sd2vita is produced en masse - pick any highly rated seller on ebay and order 2 or 3 cards just in case. They're dirty cheap and if one fails you'll have a failsafe. The white ones are recommended because they have the better fit and they're shaped as a game card.

That said though, you should do the downgrade to 3.60 as soon as you can - 3.70 is expected to lose PSN access at any moment, and 3.71 cannot be hacked right now. The 3.70 exploit was not meant for prolonged use and you'll have issues with plugins and homebrew compatibility if you use it regularly.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Quick question concerning this guide: https://vita.hacks.guide/

My vita is on 3.67, which the guide says will require me to update to 3.68 because that is what finalhe supports.

Do i still need to upgrade to 3.68 even though the latest finalhe release now supports 3.67?

I think you should be fine, doesn't seem like they've updated that bit yet on the guide.

Mithaldu posted:

Don't you mean 3.65?

60/65 have few differences these days, the major ones being

-Vitacheat only runs on .65
-60 has by far the simpler install procedure
-60 is the last version officially supported by the vita dev kit, so it's the version plugins and other hb will run best at. This is probably more important wrt old software; the essential hb like storagemgr adrenaline etc runs fine on either.
-since the creation of ref00d, you can pretty much run any game regardless of fw requirements on either of them.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I came across this cute homebrew puzzle game called Pingo, which was recently updated with new levels last week. It's a puzzle game where you control an orange ball to paint an entire level orange, in the smallest amount of steps you can take. The game is very well made, with cool graphics and aesthetics, and the puzzles are fun to solve and challenging. If you're looking for a puzzle game to add to your vita collection, it's free and requires a hacked Vita to run; it's also available on the Vita Homebrew Browser if you got it installed. https://github.com/Grzybojad/Pingo

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

star eater posted:

Supposedly you can’t download on 3.6. you’d have to be running 3.65 ensō i think.

I am running 3.60 Enso and PSN works perfectly fine.

Minidust posted:

At this point can I still download PS Plus games and use cloud saves like I normally would? I'm on the same account as my PS4, PS Vue and all general PS-stuff. It's my understanding that there's no real risk of getting your account flagged or anything like that, unless you're hacking trophies or cheating in multiplayer (not that there's active Vita multiplayer these days). Is that pretty much accurate?

fwiw I've spoofed the current firmware and I can confirm that PS4 remote play works, and I can at least enter the PS Store (haven't downloaded any purchases yet since the hack).

You can use Plus, download/upload saves, enter and download from the store, etc. I've been using it this way for a year and haven't heard a peep from Sony about it. Just stay clear of cheats and you're good to go.

Don't update to 3.65! The install is a bit more of a pain, you will need to associate it to a PSN account, and you're already at a good firmware anyways

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 15, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Relink isn't required for remote play, but it's still useful if you want to use it without logging in to an account

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You can dump the cartridges with nonpdrm and transfer the games to your SD card instead, that way you don't have to do any cart swapping. They would work like digital games and your saves will work as well.

If you prefer not to dump them, then you need to fully shut down the vita before swapping out the card, storagemgr will default to your OG memory card or onboard memory. If you bought any of the older sd2vita designs (like the one with a smiley face), those are harder to remove easily off your vita, so swapping carts will be an issue.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Oh that may take care of the whole issue, thanks!

Now that I noticed it again, what's the "tai" folder that I had to deal with during the rooting/downgrading process, that kept getting re-created and had to be deleted over again?

That's the list of plugins you load when you boot the system. Ideally you want to keep that on ur0:tai/config.txt if you're using sd2vita, and make sure you install future plugins there as well. If you're using Autoplugin you can tell it where to install plugins and it'll do the rest for you.

Some recommended plugins from this list, which you can also find on Autoplugin for a one click install:

- pngshot for high quality png screenshots instead of the default muddy system jpgs
- shellbat adds a battery percentage to the livearea
- nonpdrm and ref00d for running games and apps that require higher firmware
- udcd_uvc for streaming your vita video to a pc
- vitabright for more brightness levels (+ blue light)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The aptly named PSP Homebrew Browser, you can find it on the Vita HBB as well http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/264

Here's an article with recommended emulators for non Sony/Nintendo consoles

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 22, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You can purchase the game from the webstore, but you can't use PSN on Adrenaline and the game wouldn't (iirc) show up on the Vita download list, so you would have to use a PS3 to download your game and then transfer it to your Vita iirc

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Omobono posted:

E: I think you need to burn the blank disk image to the new SD card before copying the files.

This, with the appropriate cluster size (32KB for 128). Also make sure you copy everything, on windows you need to make sure View Hidden Folders is enabled and Hide Protected Files is disabled.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I made the mistake of installing Puzzle Quest on my Vita, and now several hours later it's suffering the same fate as my Voltorb Flip portable machine 3DS :buddy:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Retirement is a bitch huh

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1165978842995052544?s=21

Note: do not downgrade if you use this! You can cause a soft brick to your vita by using modoru with this cfw on 3.71. Flow is aware of this so he's (probably) working on it.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 26, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

At that price point your only choices are generic Chinese grips, the usual recommendations go well over 30 usd these days. The Aweek ones on Amazon (top sellers for fat grips) are generics, you can find them for cheaper on eBay if you want to try them out. Just make sure to check first if the grip is compatible with your model.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Sony speedrunning patches, 3.72 is live now :laffo:

e: patch is confirmed to kill the permissions to run the bitter smile demo needed for theflow's new exploit. According to Silica, it does not patch Chovy-Sign, the recently released exploit to run PSP games on 3.71.

Don't update etc etc

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 27, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I wouldn't buy the Nyko just for the batteries (there's a 50/50 chance they'll die after a couple months of use), but the ergonomics of the grip are worth the price alone. Bought mine new for 35 USD+shipping three years ago.

I'd say give those Aweeks a shot, their form factor is pretty similar to the CTA/Nyko and it's just :10bux:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The vita still has games coming for it (mostly in Japan) and even though they are no longer producing new consoles, cartridges are still being made for the Asian market, so we're not quite at EOL yet.

Minidust posted:

So for homebrew noobs for myself, we should just

1- not perform a system update (I installed "update blocker" so that should be especially easy)
2- change the spoofed homebrew version number in henkaku settings, if we want to download purchased games or do other PSN-related functions

Is that the gist of it?

Yeah, that will basically apply for all future firmware updates (unless there's a major feature introduced in the future, which is highly unlikely). So don't worry and don't update.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

i totally forgot to mention I need it for a 2000, sorry

Nyko Power Grip

The knockoff version of the Nyko won't charge your Vita but the form is still there and it's got decent reviews on amazon.

The Joetsus are r/vita's favorite if you want the vita for Remote Play. Slim / fat

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The guy who was running an indiegogo to fund a switch-like vita dock has gone and vanished from the internet. Fortunately, he at least did honor some orders, and one of the people that got their dock made the source code available. The guy who was commissioned to design the dock has also posted it on thingiverse for free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3942821

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The dock is based on already existing plugins, basically putting it all together on a custom raspian build using VLC for a plug-and-play solution.

The bread and butter of the setup is this plugin https://github.com/xerpi/vita-udcd-uvc
It makes it so your computer recognizes your vita as a video device, which then you can output to a media player or a program like OBS. You can pair it with one of the plugins that lets you sync a dualshock to your Vita.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

ref00d was updated recently to fix incompatibilities with games using recent-ish firmwares, this is a recommended update even if you're not doing :filez: If you installed ref00d through Autoplugin you can run the updater from it. If you installed ref00d manually you only need to replace keys.bin on ur0:tai. keys.bin file here

SKGleba has developed an app that can let you manipulate your Vita's factory firmware version. There's a low success rate right now, but essentially it means (some) people with slims that have a factory firmware above 3.65 can get a chance to downgrade to either golden firmware. https://github.com/SKGleba/mincg

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

reScreeny, a new plugin that sorts all the screenshots you take into folders by game, instead of the nonsensical default of randomly generated pairs of letters. Should also be available on AutoPlugin, and it's compatible with pngshot.
https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,51.0.html

Volume Profile, a plugin that lets you have different volume settings for when you have headphones on and off https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,46.0.html

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://psvsd.henkaku.xyz/

I believe you can't use sd2vita and psvsd at the same time, so just pick whichever you are more comfortable with.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

It's worked for me if I just open the ps store app, the queue starts up by itself afterwards

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know if there's a quick and easy way of exporting screenshots from the vita? If you try via vitashell, you'll see they're randomly strewn between 2 letter folders, not organized by game or date as far as I can tell.

Try this plugin https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,51.0.html

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

holy poo poo ps vita thread

on this 420th day of the eighth year of aqarius

is there a way to import my physical ps1 and ps2 memory card data to my ps vita

is there a way to modify suikoden 2 on my ps vita with the fan patch

https://www.cfwaifu.com/psx2psp/

Hace posted:

what are the ten best vita games

Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice Delta, P4G, Tearaway to name a few

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

There was a fan patch for type 0, but it was released around the same time Squenix announced the HD remaster back in 2014 (ie it's not a port of the official tl) and was retired soon after for the obvious reasons. So :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

And not all psx games are on psn