Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I have the boob rhythm cooking game and have most of the trophies and that is my most embarrassing Vita buy. The game is not very good though some of the classical-inspired tunes are fun to press buttons to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That's a pretty decent library. Guacamelee is definitely on my list of under-recommended Vita games along with Hot Shots Golf and Gravity Rush.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TV Zombie posted:

Yea, that's correct.

Which is a great game.

I wanted to like Dragon's Crown but the screeen would get so damned busy and managing tons of useless loot drops was not very fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dehry posted:

The canon storyline is the blonde masochist (Ryona) turns herself into Tempura with her one wish granted by winning the contest, but no one eats her.

Thanks for reminding me about one of the grossest things I've ever seen in a video game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, I assumed that was a joke.

In a better world, it would be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Cake Attack posted:

I don't like SK but tbh it's kinda funny

It'd be more funny if the didn't show her fried up skin while she lay in an oil bath.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

Ryona is a real Japanese name and her name doesn't have the same kanji as the fetish, but okay.

Yeah it's just a coincidence and not a joke :rolleyes:

Besides, is it her surname? I thought all traditional lady names in Japanese end in "ko."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

lol

you are definitely the person qualified to discuss japanese naming

Educate me, endorph.

Truga posted:

All Japanese girl names end with 子 and all western girl names end with a, you heard it here first

Oh god stop being an insufferable poo poo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

ko (子) is a common way for japanese female names to end, but it isn't the only way, and there are thousand of female names that use one of the other common characters, like mi (美) or no real specific characters in that wheelhouse at all. Off the top of my head, Aya's a reasonably common given name that doesn't have a ko, a mi, a ka, a na, or anything. It's just a name.

Ko is just a character in the japanese language that's fairly common in girls' names, not some law of the land. It'd be like saying every british girl's name ends in 'beth.' That guy isn't being an insufferable poo poo, he's basically right.

Heck, there are even guy names that end in 'ko,' like Takehiko. Admittedly not the same character in japanese, but they're pronounced the same way.

Thanks. Back in college I took Japanese for a year and the professor was an older lady and made jabs about how all the lady TA's had "young people" names without the ko, hence why I thought it was traditional.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

What's funny, Szurumbur?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

Uncharted 4 has a good final boss fight

It took me a while to figure out which slices were left and right but it was pretty fun. Also mocking you if you die was a neat touch.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I got Miku for the PS4 and I take back any good things I may have said about Bon Appetit. Miku is so much better. It's just so good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Get lots of puzzle games and Miku. And the "What Dod I Do to Deserve This, My Lord" psp games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically just a real low-effort product. The core gameplay is reasonably fun but the setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in.

That is disingenuous and kind of surprising coming from you. There was a ton of effort put into that game and most of those things. It just didn't come together in a good way.

Endorph posted:

i mostly just hate ME:A 'cause it's done more damage to lgbt charcaters in video games than your average hate crime

Ah, here the Endorph "I saw 2 screenshots and am filled with righteous west-hating anger" take.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there was, no. I find a lot of the writing genuinely low-effort. It's not merely that it is generic (which I don't think is a bad thing) but that there's very little effort or interest put into conveying a style or tone. In the opening for example your characters crash-land on an alien planet covered with deadly thunderstorms while being systemically murdered by new aliens and they basically are cheerfully quipping the entire time. It's a Bioware game and I expect some level of irreverent snark but the game doesn't even really try to convey the tone of isolation and danger. It's a problem throughout the game where it only has a scant few tones and does a poor job mixing them together in a way that feels genuinely phoned in to me, not merely badly written.

Likewise the setting disappointed me because it runs into the problem of being too safe for a game about exploring a new galaxy. It felt too familiar and too safe and contained very little sense of wonder or newness. Ironically this hurt it compared to the originals because in the originals the setting was old hat to the cast but new to the player. Here it's a bit too familiar and too safe and doesn't take advantage of the concept.

Most of these things are true but that doesn't translate to "setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in." Not only that, some scenes actually do a great job of conveying the danger and wonder of exploring a new place, including the confrontation with an Architect, confrontations with leaders of the kett and escape through the dark energy fields or out of kett installations, and the general alien-ness of the angora. They could do a better job for sure, but the game has probably around 2000 pages of dialog and lore written for it. Ultimately the issue is they didn't do a good job organizing and presenting this material. The biggest evidence of that to me was that people didn't even understand the glove sequence, which actually was a pretty neat sci-fi sub-plotline, again fumbled because of presentation.

I'm not excusing their failure but I'm not going to say the entire enterprise was low-effort. The bigger issue is that they bit off more than they could chew and it shows.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

There is a trans character that is very badly portayed and basically goes "Oh hello, nice to meet you. I'm <some name> but I used to be known as Stephan on Earth. [ I'm trans you see]...".

I am told by the few trans IRL characters I know that no one actually does that. See I needed help to be sure since I always introduce myself to new people by telling them my sexual orientation and most intimate secrets.

I am aware of that scene. It's stupid but it's not single-handedly undoing years of LGBT work towards equality and recognition. It's also one in a million side scenes that is easily missable. If Endorph treated western media with the same kid gloves they treat japanese media, I wouldn't have to read this vomit every time a big western game got popular.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

lol

so am i only allowed to have an opinion on how my sexuality is presented when i agree with you, or

Where did I say you weren't allowed to have an opinion or post it? You can say whatever you want but I'm going to criticize when I disagree with you or think you're overstating things.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

in that case can i criticize your av

it looks really jpg artifacty for some reason

I was not happy with the aliasing of the lines myself but I liked the overall feeling of the image and it reflected how I felt about that game when I finished it. Years of neglecting photoshop skills come home to roost, I guess.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

anyway if you want a Sincere Take then: i don't feel like i handle jp games with kid gloves when it comes to this kind of stuff. fire emblem fates' weak attempts at implementing homo kisses were extremely lol and as much as I adore shadow hearts, that series is a horrorshow when it comes to gay stuff. I just feel that a lot of JP games, as trope-y, flawed, and refusing to make it explicit-y they can be about this kind of stuff, represent the actual gay experience much better than really, really bland bioware stuff where sex is the end goal of the relationship, all of the characters involved are either incredibly boring or actively annoying, and where all of the actual human edges have been sanded off in an attempt to make things Not Problematic. like, olivier in trails in the sky hits on an 18 year old (I think Josh is 18 in sky 1?) and is a constant string of jokes about him being an idiot flirt, but on the other hand he's also a funny, likable character with an arc, an actual role in the plot, and whose status as a big Bi actually affects his characterization and how he views the world if you think about it for a bit, without turning into an afterschool special like dorian in DA: I. i feel like that kind of character is much more engaging and representative than sera shaving her pubes into a heart or that one random crew member in ME2 whose name I literally can't remember. Kelly? anyway, much more engaging and representative than that kind of thing.

I don't hate western games, there are plenty of western games that I do think do an okay job - mostly indy VNs or weird rpgmaker games, but still - but I get frustrated how a lot of western sites and critics (lol, game critics) parade insanely boring and sometimes outright bad stuff around as the pinnacle of achievement while attacking anything with the slightest bit of an edge or even a hint of rough to it. I think those edges and rough areas, those 'problematic' bits, are what makes characters and their relationships, even (especially?) gay ones, engaging, and a lot of western games writing lacks that when it comes to gay people.

here's some hot yaoiz:

You're right and I generally agree with the assessment that they sand the edges off in western media and I'd prefer they didn't but then, I also understand why they do. Bioware is hugely in the spot light. If the player can romance any character, the writers get criticized for treating all the characters as "playersexual" objectives and not doing a good job of representing sexuality, which is a totally fair criticism. If they don't, fans get upset that they can't romance the character they're most interested in, because of course their games have that dating sim aspect and a lot of people go for it. It's a position they got themselves into by making early mistakes and doing dating-sim at all, to be sure, but having gone down the path, they now are stuck in a position where giving LGBT characters rough edges could get them heavy flak and get opposition to the LGBT community to laud them or alienate younger LGBT players, which they also don't want.

Writing LGBT characters in a more varied way would definitely be a good first step though instead of having "that one character."

Olivier is totally awesome, yeah.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd rather Bioware just drop the dating sim stuff in the game, it's always terrible and there's never a "just friends" option so you can't talk to someone cool too often in case you accidentally gently caress them or they get mad at you for not loving them or w/e.

I would love if they gave you more straight-up friendship options. Occasionally I like the dating sim aspect (I liked how they handled Jack in ME2 for example, and I like her character) but most of the time, I want to just hang out with my squad mates and shoot the poo poo and get to know them and go do space-friend stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Actually I do have a bunch of screencaps from the story, but mostly is because I like the different animations on the game and the scenarios.

Now post the other 4119.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

I'd say that MH-style games are the one genre where frame rate actually matters, since a poor frame rate also usually comes with an input lag, and pairing that with more imprecise tells is a recipe for frustration. MH4 was a difficult and frustrating game for me until I got a N3DS, at which point the controls were much more tight and enemies were much easier to read.

First person shooters need at least decent framerate for me to not get sick these days. I don't even know how I played Golden Eye split screen so much as a kid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Is it basically an archive that stores whether or not something exists? Is it an archive endowed with motivation to exist? Is the name completely unrelated to the game in any way shape or form?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I fear it may just be false Legend, or perhaps the Legacy of developers with little inspiration.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The ill~ugu~nati have controlled the world for over a century and won't be nan desu ka'd. Patrols wielding weapons grade kawaii have already been dispatched to I AM THE TOILET's house to ii desu yo the situation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
"Tearaway is overrated even though it sold like poo poo even for a Vita game and people don't really talk about it."

Uh ok.

Alternatively you can just say that you don't like the game and why.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Asking the question "should we change this or leave this the same" and debating it is definitely important. Posting that thing about lol kkk in a public forum is maybe not a great idea. At the very best, I guess it's getting ahead of the argument they might see from particularly unsavory fans.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
After reading about what a nothing his stand was made about, this looks like some major self-sabotaging. It sucks that it's going to cause some grief for other translators though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
KKK XSEED?!!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Whole bunch of dummies are caring about it tonight for a few hours, maybe a few minutes tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Looks like a run of the mill lesbian light gently caress game with non-light incest. Genuinely not sure what the hubbub is about, there are a lot of vn's that are similar.