Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What does buying them legally have to do with being able to use a pirated backup down the line? Because that’s the only use backups from the CDN will have at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Exactly. This august you decide you want to check out a game on the PS3 or vita that you don’t already own, modding your system and pirating it is the only option especially on vita if the game didn’t come on a cartridge

Then they can still be pulled from the CDN with the same piracy methods that exist today, because they’re still going to be there in August.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

well i got as far as removing the 3g modem from my vita and the first screw came out without a hitch but the second was immediately stripped so rip my vita i guess. turns out it and its lovely overpriced and unreliable memory sucked all along!!!

Scrape a little notch in either side and use a flat head screwdriver to do it instead.

Or hold the bottom end of a ballpoint pen over a flame for a little bit and push it into the hole then wait for it to go hard again and use that to unscrew it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are also actual analogue patches for a lot of games now using CFW to add proper right stick functionality.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What doesn't make any sense is that they programmed a new store for the ps4 and ps5. Why not have one unified storefront?

Bullshit like this is why people deride downloadable games.

Because that would almost certainly involve firmware updates for the PSP/Vita/PS3 if the console-side of the storefront needed to be changed to actually benefit from whatever changes they’ve made to unify the store like they have now. That’s probably more work than it’s worth to them.

I’d also rather they left those firmwares alone so they don’t try and slip in anymore patches to prevent homebrew, since if they were going to go to the effort of updating the consoles just to be able to sell you games then they’d probably want to make sure they cut off the exploits that let you not have to buy those games at the same time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh also, theres no prices displayed, they are hidden.

The buy button has the price right on it, what are you talking about?

Excuse the overlay, I used remote play to fire up my console quickly because this sounded insane:

Edit: also not seeing any way to one-click a purchase because anything I try to buy asks me to confirm the payment method and accept the terms and conditions, so I don’t know what people are doing wrong but whatever it is it’s not universal.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 6, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's bad on the ps5 as well, no cart that I have seen. There's a 'Get It' button that instantly charges your card and reddit is filled with posts of people pissed off because they accidentally bought something they didn't want and sony will not give refunds. Oh also, theres no prices displayed, they are hidden.

I only used it back in october, perhaps they've added some things

:magemage:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the joke or am I missing something?

wasn't the 2011 hack explicitly because they didn't give a gently caress about anyones information or to have any sort of worthwhile online service in place prior to being shut down for like a month?

The point is the hack made them go “oh gently caress we need to do something and never ever get hacked in any way again”, which led to over correcting and making a bunch of silly choices (proprietary memory, ports, etc) for the vita and taking the option to pull the plug now that the system is wide open just in case there’s anything else lurking that could expose them further.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memory stick pro duo was only proprietary in the sense that it was a Sony format. You could still plug it into a computer and gently caress around with the files on it all you liked, making it super trivial to put whatever you want into the console in your quest to crack it wide open.

The vita memory card being literally just for the vita is the step taken to make it more secure.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

It has a very 'if you're not going to play by our rules we're taking our toys and you can't play with them' kind of energy to it. I wonder if they'd try to take away the ability to play the games you own as well, if it wouldn't create an incredible backlash and maybe legal problems if they did.

That’s most likely the only reason they haven’t just turned off the content servers entirely.

They’re a business at the end of the day, I think some people ITT are mistaking “Sony apologist” for people who acknowledge and understand that corporations aren’t our friends and ultimately they’re going to do whatever makes or saves them the most money, as long as it’s worth weathering the minor PR hit from the terminally online.

I’d wager 99% of people don’t give a poo poo about losing access to those stores because they’re playing PS4 and upwards, it’s the same story as full backwards compatibility being so loudly clamoured for on the internet and then basically nobody in the real world using it because they have new games to play so who gives a poo poo.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That weird screen effect with the name I can’t remember on the OLED’s is definitely a thing when they switch to all black for anything but otherwise they’re beautiful.

Looks kind of like the screen is stained with water drops.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s it, yeah.

If you aren’t expecting it the first time you see it it looks like the screen is hosed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

Kind of makes sense, but also Vita firmware updates are less than 150MB.

It also has that port that eventually never did anything. They probably had plans down the line for features that never made it off the ground and the memory was there to accommodate them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only ever had first hand screen burn experience once but it was like 15 years ago when we destroyed a friend’s parents’ plasma by playing guitar hero constantly at a 72 hour party weekend and burning the note ramp thing into the middle of the screen.

So don’t play your vita for 72 hours straight is my advice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So idk where exactly to ask about it but ever since installing setting up an sd2vita it seems like i've completely lost my ability to get stuff from the actual psn store by and large. Or at the very least it's extremely random and subject to the whims of i don't know what.

Like, I was able to download my copy of DXC and Ys VII with no real problems but past that it's been a slew of errors ranging from 'cannot download' after spending an hour actually downloading the thing, or a cannot install/corrupt file error. I was hoping that having a nice big sd card in here would make it so that I could have easy access to all the crap I've accumulated over the years but it doesn't seem to be taking now, which is kinda lame.

This sounds more like a problem with the microsd card or the sd2vita itself, to be honest.

Besides that, if you legally own it already personally I’d just grab whatever game you’re trying to get from NPS instead, then you don’t have to worry about PSN being screwy with modded firmwares.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The vita can run it natively or do you have to use an emulator? Because as far as i know there was never a digital release of CC, even on PSP.

The vita’s built in PSP poo poo is cracked wide open and you can use Adrenaline to play any PSP content you want with it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The vita would have been perfect if they’d supported it for more than 5 minutes tbh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jolo posted:

I've got my Vita modded to use an SD card, if I mod the Vita TV the same way can I swap the sd2vita between them and play everything that way?

I remember after getting the Vita TV that it wasn't all that user friendly so this might not work as easily as I'd like.

As long as they’re both activated with the same PSN account it should work, I’m pretty sure the cards are linked to the accounts rather than the specific consoles.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Are there ps1 classics available in the ps store on a non hacked ps vita? I'm trying to decide if I want to invest time in hacking my vita (the idea of going to these sites and downloading the hack executables on my home PC squicks me out from an virus/malware perspective) or if I can just see what is available from the ps1and buy it...

Good news, depending on the firmware you have already all the hacks can be run directly on the console.

And if not, nobody has had any issues with the hacks provided by long time respected members of the scene so you’d be the first person ever to get stung by it if it happened.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

If the memory card dies, is it possible to hack your vita at that point to get the sd card adapter thing on it, or do you need to do it before the card failure?

Depends on the model. If it’s an OG fat then you need a memory card to apply the hack in the first place, if it’s a slim then you can do it without a memory card because it has the user accessible onboard storage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the guide tells you to unlink your memory card make sure you do it or poo poo goes real wrong real fast.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Your Computer posted:

hi howdy i'm reposting this from the chat thread

i'm just wondering if there is a grip for this thing kinda like the grips for the switch and if anyone's got any recommendations. i have a bunch of cool games i want to play but something about the vita just hurts my hands if i play it for more than 30 minutes

i've tried just randomly searching and it seems like they do exist but i would love to get some feedback from someone who has tried any of them to hear if they're worth it :shobon:

They do exist but it depends which model you have because they’re different shapes so need different grips.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I turned my PSTV (hacked w/ SD2Vita) on after not using it for a while, and all my carefully alphabetized bubbles were in completely random order. Everything still works, but why on earth would that have happened?

Did you have to re-set the clock?

I don’t know about the PSTV since it doesn’t have a battery and I’ve never used one, but my Vita does some weird poo poo to my layouts if the battery runs completely flat, the first sign of which is having to re-set the clock since it obviously died.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can the Vita still remote play the PS5? Weirdly I've never seen this discussed

No, vita remote play relies on specific separate vita apps for the PS3 and PS4 rather than a generic “remote play” app like pc and mobile do, and Sony never made a PS5 one since the Vita was taken out back and shot before the PS5 launched.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m not gonna go through them all to check what does what now but make sure whichever one it is makes you install enso, to make your life easier forever.

And if it ever says to unlink the memory card fuckin do it because otherwise it’s a huge headache.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

It was also a digimon cyber sleuth machine!...until the switch happened

Fun thing I found out about the switch ports by accident is that the in game timer keeps running while the console is asleep, so I opened it up after a week or two of not playing to find that everything left in my farm was at max level and I could just take them out now and use them to break the game over my knee without even planning for it, ruining all challenge.

Vita never did me dirty like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why not just use the regular remote play app if you’re already using a phone?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are there a bunch missing from NPS?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Get a 1000 and aim for a 3G model so you can use PSVSD instead of an SD2Vita imo. I always find them a bit fussy and it leaves the cartridge slot free for legit carts.

The only downside is encasing the microSD card forever and doing all the management of files on that over USB or FTP but it’s 2024 and giant microSD cards are practically being given away so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don’t anymore, there are tools to use the hidden onboard storage on the original models.