Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
There is some Vita homebrew now, but it is not great. I have high hopes for it.

Did you know the Vita only runs at 444mhz max? I thought they'd have increased the power over the PSP more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

noirstronaut posted:

kinda upset no one posted full nipples in the old thread.

anyway, is anyone here knowledgeable about vita hacks? i have 3.55 on my vita, but i want to stay there so i can forever use ark for legal things. will i just no longer be able to access psn? i can use my ps3 to send games etc.

I'm late here but the PS3 method is as good as you're going to get, you do'nt get to do anything fun like Disgaea 4 custom maps anymore.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

bloodychill posted:

Compared to Nintendo's stuff, it's brilliant. The Vita store front is also just very straight-forward and easy to use, probably because being a dead console, it hasn't gotten clusterfucked by marketing people.

The only Nintendo storefront that's bad is the way they handle Theatrhythm DLC purchasing.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mithaldu posted:

It's adorable how upset goons get when you imply a game that didn't cater to their expectations may have merit on its own. :allears:

It doesn't.

The only genuinely cool thing the game does is the updating cross-timeline newspaper that chronicles how stuff has changed each time you alter the past.

I didn't have anything to really play for a week or two besides it and put way too much time into it, and I don't even recommend it.

The biggest disappointment might've been Lightning's sword, which is of course a shotgun/rifle that's too weak to be of use by the time you can afford it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
PS Vita Discussion: is the titty shower scene really worth it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://henkaku.xyz/ something big is coming!

This is the first time there's been actual vita homebrew without it being extremely bullshit to run and not at all worth it. The previous method required something to send a payload over wifi and a complete reboot every time you closed a program/when a program locked, and a partial reinstall every 24 hours.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SnatchRabbit posted:

So what exactly are the benefits on this mod? I'm guessing its not as useful as a hacked PSP for PS1 games, emulators and such. Is that true?

You can already install a thing that effectively gives you a hacked PSP in software mode, with all capabilities intact.

This is just going to give you the ability to run Vita-mode homebrew. I'm not sure if people will crack how PSN PS1 games work or anything.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SnatchRabbit posted:

Got a link? Last I checked it was convoluted and not worth losing PSN access.

I did not mean PSN as a capability. I meant the capabilities of the PSP.

There isn't anything as good as 3DS modding anywhere in this mess and i'm hoping henkaku changes that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

In Training posted:

You know what runs PS1 games pretty well? The psn copies of them that go for like 3 dollars.

Yeah, I was just trying to think or anything relevant to the PSP's capabilities the Vita didn't explicitly already have.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just picked up a cheap Vita and it is on FW 3.15. Is there any advantage to leaving it on the older firmware for homebrew? Or should I just use the new Henkaku exploit on 3.60?

Old firmware homebrew methods were incredibly bad unless you had specific PSP games, and then all you got was access to old good PSP homebrew.

There's a guide to installing PSP homebrew at http://wololo.net/2016/07/29/tutorial-installing-vhbl-custom-bubble-via-henkaku-firmware-3-60/ now, which helps fill in the gaps in the Vita selection.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Oh good, cause literally all the SNES games I tried and actually want to play run like poo poo. Where am I supposed to look for development announcements and releases? Please don't let it be Reddit...

FF6 will run really badly, but a lot of games run great. I went through Treasure of the Rudras on Snes9xtyl way back when.

I don't know how well snes9xvita/the libretro snes9x work.

I wish I understood more about emulator coding and optimization.

You mainly want to watch wololo.net's forums and maybe gbatemp on occasion.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
For the dude who was trying SNES games: https://github.com/exsinner/CATSFC-libretro/releases/ This seems to work really, really well, except for a crash at the beginning of Super Mario RPG.

Romancing SaGa 3 also doesn't really work, but that's very common.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 2, 2016

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Literally The Worst posted:

poo poo

works

flawlessly

It has some issues with ff6 sometimes so I am going to try to port snesadvance hacks to snes9x-next tomorrow. catsfc's unstable games seem to be unstable for reasons besides speed

Someone just ported desmume from the 3ds to the Vita for some reason and made an abomination that chugs out DS games at 10fps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Literally The Worst posted:

lmao if ur not playing the gba version of six

I don't think it works much better and also there's a romhack called brave new world that's only for the SNES version

it's 5 that you definitely want to play the GBA game for

edit: also for snes, turn off vsync, turn on frame limiter. the snes and vita have different frame limits and it will try to do audio stretching or something and it does a miserable job at it

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
oh hey a thing for modded Vitas that might be worth a drat came out:

https://github.com/xyzz/vita-moonlight/releases/tag/vita-alpha

it doesn't have sound yet but it's a client for Moonlight. If you have an nVidia card you'll eventually be able to stream to your Vita with it