Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

elKlepitan posted:

the wheez the roux cookbook is up now- just submitted it for the print addition as well. ebook here:

http://www.blurb.com/ebooks/p7a19d30edd187ee8e706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

1 can of rotel
1 thing of jimmy dean sausage
1 huge pack of velveeta

put it all in a slow cooker and come back an hour later

eat it with whatever you have lying around

say goodbye to your colon.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
so thats how you get so big huh?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
another non-frying wing method: (with a slow cooker)
    1 12oz bottle of hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot is the best)
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp oregano
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 stick butter
    3-4 pounds of frozen wings (thawed)

put wings in slow cooker, combine other ingredients in pot on stove, bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes. pour mixture over wings. set slow cooker for 1.5 hours on high and then 1.5 hours on low. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and prepare cookie sheet (make sure you spray it with non-stick spray). When slow cooker finishes, transfer to cookie sheet, and bake for 30 minutes.

For the sauce, you can do one of two things:

1. Use the following ingredients:
    1 12oz bottle of hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot ideally)
    1 stick butter
simmer this mixture until thickened, about 20 minutes.

2. (if you don't want to buy two bottles of hot sauce) Transfer leftover fluids in slow cooker to a wide cooking pan, and reduce until sauce is sufficiently thickened. This takes a while though, so be warned.

Either way, once sauce is thickened and wings come out, brush wings with sauce and serve with ranch or blue cheese.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the gently caress is the point of boiling the sauce before putting it in a slow cooker smdh

there are two ways to do wings: smoked and fried

if you're not doing either, don't bother.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You're just mad because you're old
\

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

1 can of rotel
1 thing of jimmy dean sausage
1 huge pack of velveeta

put it all in a slow cooker and come back an hour later

eat it with whatever you have lying around

say goodbye to your colon.

I do the rotel and Velveeta thing through the season, but not with sausage. Gonna try that out, thanks!

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I do the rotel and Velveeta thing through the season, but not with sausage. Gonna try that out, thanks!

Was thinking about trying it with a tube of beef chorizo but worried that the super high fat content would make it too greasy. We shall see!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Malinois posted:

Was thinking about trying it with a tube of beef chorizo but worried that the super high fat content would make it too greasy. We shall see!

Fry the chorizo off beforehand. Should take out some of the grease.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Fry the chorizo off beforehand. Should take out some of the grease.

Good point! Wouldn't even have to completely cook it through before the slow cooker, just enough to render out some of the fat.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I prefer the Alton Brown wing method: steam the wings to cook, then bake to crisp. Toss with sauce in giant bowl while still hot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pope Mobile posted:

I prefer the Alton Brown wing method: steam the wings to cook, then bake to crisp. Toss with sauce in giant bowl while still hot.

That's basically what the slow cooker does from what I can tell, I'm considering just steaming them.

(Or I might just get other chicken parts because wings are like 30% more compared to other chicken parts and they have less meat too)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chicken thighs have way more meat, are usually way more tender and moist, and can be bought for pennies because all people ever want are wings or breast.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Which is dumb because thighs are the best part of a chicken :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Which is dumb because thighs are the best part of a chicken :colbert:

drat straight.

And if you debone them beforehand, you can use them to make stock. And who the gently caress doesn't love chicken soup.

Saute some chopped onions, celery and carrots, throw them into the stock, shred one of the chicken thighs, toss that in too, and leave it on a low heat for a few hours.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chicken thighs have way more meat, are usually way more tender and moist, and can be bought for pennies because all people ever want are wings or breast.

Pain in the rear end to grill.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

drat straight.

And if you debone them beforehand, you can use them to make stock. And who the gently caress doesn't love chicken soup.

Saute some chopped onions, celery and carrots, throw them into the stock, shred one of the chicken thighs, toss that in too, and leave it on a low heat for a few hours.

Post missed a great opportunity to add "baby you got a stew goin" 7/10

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
throw a few lbs of chicken thighs into a slow cooker with a few jars of salsa for 10 hours and you've got the best taco filling ever

edit: sub the salsa for BBQ sauce and you've got a pulled chicken sloppy joe thing going

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 28, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh yeah, slow cookers/crock pots are aces for easy af meat. Taco meat, pulled pork, etc are great to make without much fuss or prep if you're feeding a lot of people.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

WugLyfe posted:

Carolina BBQ owns.

If you've got recipes :justpost:

I can't replicate it, and trust me I've tried. One time I followed a recipe that said to boil the apple cider vinegar in a stovepot with chili flakes to infuse the flavor. Do not do this unless you want your house to smell like vinegar for three days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

I can't replicate it, and trust me I've tried. One time I followed a recipe that said to boil the apple cider vinegar in a stovepot with chili flakes to infuse the flavor. Do not do this unless you want your house to smell like vinegar for three days.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Now the other annual tradition that's no less loved and anticipated: me asking what that simple beer dip recipe for chips is because it's good and I added sriracha to it and some other hot stuff and it made it even better, so I recommend doing that too

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

They're not the brownies, but:

Chandler Jones Gummies

White bean curry dip
MAKES: 3 cups
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained/rinsed
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1¼ tsp curry powder
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp sweet paprika
¼ tsp white pepper
3 tablespoons :420:oil
1 tablespoon grape-seed or olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Olive oil, for garnish

1. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the beans, garlic, curry powder, salt, cumin, paprika, and white pepper until smooth and thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
2. In a measuring cup with a spout, combine the :420:oil, grape-seed oil, and lemon juice.
3. With the machine running, add the :420:oil mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube, scraping the cup to ensure no oil is left. Blend for 1 minute to incorporate the oil.
4. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and top with the parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.

Devils on Horseback
16ish pitted dates
2 tablespoons goat cheese
4 tsp :420:butter
8 strips bacon, cut in half crosswise

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. With small knife, make a slit in each date and spread it open.
3. In small bowl, combine the goat cheese with the :420:butter.
4. Divide mixture among dates, press it into the center and close the dates after filling.
5. Wrap bacon around each date.
6. Put dates, bacon seam down, on baking sheet.
7. Bake until bacon is crisp, ~10 minutes.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 3, 2016

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
For Wheez's wings recipe I don't have any container that can hold 2 gallons. Am I fine just making it with 1 gallon and halving the brine ingredients or is having the full 2 gallons essential?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

For Wheez's wings recipe I don't have any container that can hold 2 gallons. Am I fine just making it with 1 gallon and halving the brine ingredients or is having the full 2 gallons essential?

It's been months since I made it, but as long as you have enough brine and a big enough container to completely cover the chicken you should be fine, and I seem to recall there was plenty of room to spare. That said, you'll have to check how much you're cooking, and account for my having an absolute poo poo memory. Worst case you can split it into multiple containers, or do what I did and run out and buy a 5 gallon bucket for like $2 at Home Depot, just sterilize it or line with a garbage bag; I then packed it in a cooler with a couple bags of ice to substitute a refrigerator big enough to hold it. Probably not kosher by food industry standards, but I didn't get salmonella so yeah.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm making spinach puffs and a stromboli.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

no parties this year so I am just going to get a bunch of junkfood, eat and watch the first five minutes with my wife who doesn't like football and then continue to eat while I post on tff

I think I'll get pizza or wings and then some chips and cookies and then I'm gonna kill myself at the end of the game

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
that's sad

i mean the part about the food, not the killing yourself

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

NC-17 posted:

that's sad

I don't know, after having a kid that would be my every Super Bowl were it not for my willingness to cook for my own drat self. And every other Sunday come to think of it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know, after having a kid that would be my every Super Bowl were it not for my willingness to cook for my own drat self. And every other Sunday come to think of it.

you only get to kill yourself once.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

that's sad

It actually owns and it's going to be one of the best days of the year

the pizza thing is tough though because how am I going to get pizza on super bowl Sunday

They'll probably be pretty busy!!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm gonna make a loaf of beer bread tomorrow. Will post progress pics so I can show everyone how incompetent someone can be while also being qualified in catering.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I don't know if I want to make buffalo chicken nachos or pulled pork Irish nachos. Someone sell me on how I want to commit suicide by fork please.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm making carnitas because why the gently caress shouldn't I?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'm going to eat a bullet personally

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Apparently we're throwing a party. Glad my roommate told me today so I can make sure this isn't a lovely party with lovely food.

I may dive into some recipes, but I'm thinking of smoking a pork shoulder and making some texas style chili w/ cornbread for the guests.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My party will be Saturday night since I'll be driving Sunday. Boxed wine and minestrone soup. No way I won't be hosed up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

It actually owns and it's going to be one of the best days of the year

the pizza thing is tough though because how am I going to get pizza on super bowl Sunday

They'll probably be pretty busy!!

Call up your local place on like Friday and ask if you can make a booking for Sunday at the time you want. Me and my mates do it every year for events like the NRL grand final or state of origin that cause pizza places to stop taking orders.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
I've got about 18 lbs of pork shoulder I can smoke if you guys want to come over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Forgot to take progress pics, but Beer Bread Attempt #1 in the oven.

And because I'm just white trash on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I used the only beer I had in the house, Budweiser.

• Locked thread