Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting ideas. We'll find out if some of those can be confirmed in later games.

I think coming up with theories was, or is, a fun part of trying to make sense of this game series. Submachine Universe (the exploration 'game') has notes scattered everywhere which are actually fan theories posted on some Submachine discussion forum. The theories get quite complex, and some turned out to be (possibly) correct, others have been disproven by later games.

And some parts are still be mysterious, even after the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 13
Submachine 5: The Root

Last time, we explored most of the Root and gathered two Wisdom Gems, the second of which we got by dissolving a Metal Box in acid.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 5 - Old Bricks

Next to the bathtub was this receptacle. We put the Coil in.

This powers up something, elsewhere. The easiest way to figure out where, is to look at the surroundings. It seems that all of the Root is actually relatively close together (the transporters are connected by cables), and similar-looking parts are next to each other.

To (0,2), it is. The screens here now show runes.

RTL

Our notes are really coming in handy. We quickly go and retrieve the Coil, which luckily stays charged.

Back in (0,0) there was another Coil receptacle.

Which activates this panel in (2,0).

We got all secrets now. Once we finish the game we can go see what they unlock. We picked up the light bulb, so let's see what's down in (2,1).

After passing that drat gate again, we can now see there's a passage down here.

RTL

Activating the ruins from the screens we saw earlier and turning the screw makes the ladder descend.

And we find a place that looks similar to what we saw in the Ancient Ruins. As far as I know there's no way to pass the spikes to the left. What we can do is lift the upper part of the statue. Good thing we picked up that Lead Casting when we did.

So, how the hell are we gonna lift the other parts? We didn't find any other castings or jewels.

Well, our protagonist is a lot smarter than whoever explored the Ancient Ruins.

Yup, we just take it out and put it in the next part of the statue.

Down there is the third and final Wisdom Gem, just sitting in a corner.

We're actually done in the Root. We go all the way back up, through that drat gate, take the teleporter to (0,0), and then climb back out of the building and towards the Portal device.

Time to go to the Corridor and finish this game.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 5 - Corridor

We power up this place by putting the Wisdom Gems into the wall slots, then pull the handle. The door automatically closes, and...

The Mover, as this thing is actually called, takes us away, off into the distance.

Well, let's go check the Secrets, shall we?

Thumpmonks - Submachine 4 - Bonus Area

This secret section is different from the last one in that each Secret unlocks a room, instead of needing all of them to unlock all the bonus rooms. But before doing that, let's go left real quick.

The other button simply takes us back to the main menu.

Going back into the game, we end up in the starting room and get a Secret Location item in our inventory that just takes us back to the bonus area at any time. Anyway, we put one of our Secrets in the slot on the wall to open the gate.

Each of the rooms has a screen to look at and a note to read, and of course the gate to the next room.

I've seen 'escape' type games where puzzles seem to have nothing to do with your goal. I have to say, in Submachine it feels like most of them are there for a purpose. You simply have to do them or you can't continue. Why previous visitors left things as they are is still anyone's guess, though.

LogicalFallacy already mentioned this in the thread, and Mateusz confirms it here, there were originally more plates. These would indeed let us access 43 locations (count them if you like). In some part of Submachine Universe, there's empty lockers which could hold 12 more plates. Those could theoretically take us to way more locations, but I don't know if they were part of the same transporter network.

These secrets give a neat look into the creator's mind.

The final room has no more gates, of course.

That was a bit optimistic, Submachine 6 was released in October 2009.

And as a matter of fact, that is the next one on the list. We'll learn a lot more about the true nature of the Subnet next time, in Submachine 6: The Edge.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 9, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like that ending. Just kind of spirited away into the depths of the machine.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The submachine has a defense system? Oh, this I have to see...

My theory so far about what's going on is that our character has a karma arm too, just like Murtaugh. That's why they can do things that no one else can do, or reach into places that other explorers probably would have if they could. Simple theory is theory. :v:

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Man, I can't believe I missed this for so long! These games will always be pretty special to me - since I had no consoles as a kid, I spent a ton of time playing free flash games like these. Mateusz's games in particular stood out, because of how good they are at building atmosphere in subtle ways. Not something you see in a free browser game every day!
Incidentally, would you consider showin off the Daymare Town games at some point? They're his other famous series, and they're just as atmospheric. I like them better in some respects- it's just more fun to waddle around in a monochrome abandoned town with the occasional depressed critter in the corner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 14
Submachine 6: The Edge

Click here to play the game yourself.

Let's start with the next game. If you remember, we were sent on a mission by Murtaugh to investigate the far end of the Submachine net and return unharmed.

This game has a rather long intro sequence, which I put in a video for your convenience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIH3bLnrcM

During that brief moment of control, we really couldn't do anything but step into that other Mover. These games keep reminding me of the Cube films, by the way.

We seem to have been brought somewhere. That large wall we went through was probably the inner wall of the Subnet's Edge.

Pressing the button in the next room, we are scanned, and the way back reopens.

Apparently we can't take anything with us into the Edge. I have to dump all my stuff in the receptacle in the last room. Now the scanner lets us continue to the right.

Here we are asked to enter an access code in the form of an array of zeroes and ones. We don't have one, and after changing a few bits at random, the system kicks us out.

Going down...

Crap, were did that thing bring us?

The 'elevator' immediately leaves as we step out. There doesn't seem to be much to the right, but we can climb on top of the pipe here.

This game isn't afraid to throw in an actually empty room with no puzzles every so often. By the way, the background 'music' in this game is mostly a very quiet low hum with a few 'disturbances'. It's better than no background sounds at all, but I don't think it's interesting enough to put music links in this update.

RTL
Let's explore the left side of this area. The image on the right is where the elevator was a minute ago

Somehow I don't think we can get that rusty portal operational again. But we can sidle along the edge in the back carefully.

RTL
It kinda feels like we're in some forgotten area under the machine, like the old Aperture Science down the shaft in Portal 2. Anyway, a note!

quote:

Well, that's it...

I see no point in holding on any longer.

No one's coming, I've been a fool all the time.

Pointless...
...Well, that's bad. Did someone end up getting lost here, somehow? Perhaps we'll learn more later.

RTL
And that's as far as we can go along the ridge.

Luckily we aren't completely stuck in this place. We can crawl into this drain pipe. Who went out here to build it, though?

It's nice to move right for a change, it makes it easier to order the images in the post. This lower pipe seems to be a dead end, though.

That junction looks strange. But up on top there's some stuff for us.

quote:

do not mess with the protocols.

If you do, they will lock you up inside. I've seen that happening before.

That's not a good way to die out here.

Anyway, I've had enough. I'm not going in there anymore.
This place sounds rather dangerous. And that secret message in the last game said something about a defense system. Let's be careful. The person who left this note also left a Key Card. We might need that later.

This is the room left of the strange junction.

quote:

Did he tell you that you were the first one sent out here?

Well, news flash, my friend...
Strange... are they implying Murtaugh sent more people on this mission? It's dangerous, so perhaps he had no choice. But couldn't he go himself? With his karma arm, that should be easy, right?

As you might've guessed, turning this wheel changes the orientation of the strange junction. Now we can go further right.

Pushing this head thing into the wall opens up a passage in the room below, that was blocked before.

More pipes. This area has some metal clanks mixed in with the background hum.

We came out of the lower pipe. Let's go straight up first.

Turning this wheel switches which pipe we can access in the room just before it.

As you can see here.

The upper pipe is currently a dead end. When we enter the bottom one, we can see why.

We remove the lid and look at the note.

quote:

don't believe in his lies.
What has been going on in this place? It kinda feels like someone is trying to warn me about someone I know.

The upper pipe now takes us into this differently looking room. The name Thoth appears when you put your mouse cursor over the picture on the wall. Thoth was the Egyptian god who kept the universe in balance. He invented science, mathematics, language and magic.

To the right is this strange room. If we turn the circle with the hourglass, the room with the pillar suddenly becomes dilapidated.

As the god of mathematics and astronomy, Thoth was also responsible for the motion of heavenly bodies and for timekeeping. That explains his presence near this time room. According to the wiki, this room is called the 'Chronon', by the way.

We can't do anything else here right now. So we backtrack out of this Egyptian area, back to this junction.

RTL
To the top left this time. I hope this maze of tunnels isn't too confusing. It's not quite as confusing to play as the Sewers back in the Lighthouse, because it doesn't loop around. All rooms are either dead ends or directly on the way to progress.

Going up, we end up in this room. We can only climb into the middle pipe right now, the one with a ladder under it.

However, we are quickly stopped by some barrier.

Below the room with the ladder and to the left is this room, with a puzzle. Clicking one wheel turns it a quarter, but it also turns the other wheel a half turn. The goal is to make one of the three central lights light up. To do this, the wheels have to be aligned.

I found the easiest way to do this is by simply alternating clicking on one and the other until they line up.

This moves the ladder, so we can climb up to a side pipe and press the button to remove the barrier. There's light at the top of this pipe but there seems to be some kind of cover we can't remove.

Rinse and repeat for the right side.

And when we put the wheels back in the original position and climb into the middle pipe, we find that the way has now opened up.

RTL
We're out of these cramped tunnels. Now all we need to do is hook up the Gel pumps to the modern facility and... no wait, I'm getting games switched up again.

RTL
There doesn't seem to be much out here to the left.

We can try entering the pipe but are immediately stopped by another barrier. Let's try going right from where we exited the Tunnels instead.

Mostly more of the same. But in that first screen, there's a terminal which seems to accept a Key Card. Let's see if ours still works.

Yep! An elevator arrives from above.

Let's go to the middle level first. By the way, the only way to get down to the area with the tunnel exit is by taking this elevator, which means we're permanently locked out from accessing the right end of that area. Luckily there's nothing else to see there.

RTL
A closed door and an electrical barrier. This area looks quite high tech all of a sudden. Let's take the elevator further up.

RTL
The top level. The door is closed, but we can interact with the screen in the right room.

By toggling the green dots we can set the security level to 0, which removes the electrical barriers down below. I hope the automated defense system hasn't noticed us yet.

RTL
Door number 5 on the middle level is still locked, but we can continue left now.

And we find something here. A Steel Cube with something inside. Picking it up lowers the pillar and activates the screen.

We still don't have an ID number, but we can enter the pattern we've seen down below near the tunnel exit.

It doesn't unlock the cube, so we'll have to find another way to do that.

What entering the pattern does is quietly open the pipe on the screen with the pattern. Down there is a secret area. Instead of Secret objects to collect, this game has 5 hidden secret areas, and this is the first we found.

Secret note posted:

I never thought that playing Murtaugh's game would lead me here.

I never thought I'd have to make a choice. I was just following his orders. Right now it's too late for me to change sides.

For you as well, probably.

But, if you have a chance...

Find Liz. She will guide you.

If he's the explorer, she's the solver.
I'm not sure yet what's going on, but I'll keep that advice in mind.

This seems like a reasonable place to take a break. Next time, we'll find the remaining secrets, and discover what's up with this Subnet Defense System.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, this game brings me vibes from Blame and Biomega and general Nihei art. Endless space, filled with machinery that does it's work and is... irrelevant or hostile to you, and weird inhabitants in places.
Yes, universes are similar, but tone is quite different.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh nice, this is back.

I spent some time last month going back through games 6-10 and finally beating the series. It's one hell of a trip, especially the last one, so I'm looking forward to that eventually.

The Root is kind of weird as games in the series go. It's not super interesting overall but it has narrative importance for the coming entries. I'll have more to say towards the end of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how they're just pouring on the atmosphere here. The other submachines have felt a little toy-ish, but this one is definitely alien.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 15

Welcome back! Last time, we climbed out of the tunnels under the Defense System, grabbed a cube, and found some notes warning us about someone.

The cube is way too strong to just break, and we don't have the unlock code. But a few millenia does wonders.

We make the room look new, then place the Steel Cube on the pedestal, and then change the time.

When we go back, there's not much left of the cube, and some object falls out when we click on it. Sadly, it shatters when it hits the ground.

Turning the time back, the Connection Pod is restored but somehow still outside the Cube. We take it with us, because as you will see soon, this thing is a sort of debug/hacking device.

Before we leave, I make sure to make the room look old again, because that's required for finding another secret area.

Speaking of secret areas, let's hunt some of them down. Remember this broken Portal from the start of the game? We can use our Connection Pod on the round port on the front.

The insides of the system are mostly green. Anyway, this is a very interesting text.

Portal prototype 2/32 posted:

Portal prototype developed for transportation of maintenance units between different sections of the subnet.

the prototype came into contact with human factor and was reverse-engineered in order to transport humans.

Primary function deleted.

As a main factor in the infestation spread the portal was considered a failure.
The meaning of this might not be immediately clear, but, like usual, the wiki is a good source of information. This text is one of the most important pieces of lore for this series.

Basically, the Submachine started as an autonomous system - it had a computer or an AI that sent out maintenance robots to keep itself operational. As it says in the text, the System created the Portals in order to easily move the Sub-bots throughout the Subnet.
Well, at some point humans discovered some part of the Subnet, found a Portal prototype, and used that to reverse engineer the Portals we've seen in the last few games. They used that technology to build the Root which, as I said before, was the first part of the Subnet ever built by humans.

Anyway, the Subnet AI considers humans an 'infection' that do not belong in the Subnet at all. Apparently the humans triggered something while messing around that caused a proliferation of Submachines that weren't under the System's control. The defenses we're trying to shut down work as a kind of immune system, trying to stop the human infection and protecting its most sensitive parts.

We'll learn more details in the following games, but this should be plenty to talk about for now.

Remember the dead end all the way past the original entrance into the tunnels? When you change the time in the Chronon so that it turns into a ruin, this section is repaired and we get to see this.

Thoth inscription posted:

Thoth

Patron of: knowledge, secrets, writing, and scribes.

Appearance: A man with the head of an ibis holding a scribe's palette and stylus. He was also shown as a full ibis, or sometimes as baboon.

Description: Thoth is an unusual god. Though some stories place his as a son of Ra, other say that Thoth created himself through the power of language. He is the creator of magic, the inventor of writing, teacher of man, the messenger of the gods (and thus identified by the Greeks with Hermes) and the divine record-keeper and mediator.

He was also a measurer and recorder of time.
Just a description of the god. I don't think it has any relevance to the game's story.

Next secret! In the room with the two wheels, we lined them up so they pointed upwards, to the right, and to the left. But we never pointed them down, because it doesn't activate a light in the middle like the other positions do. But if you do point the wheels down and backtrack to the beginning of the tunnels, a pipe will now point down, opening up another room.

We could've gotten this secret way earlier, but I kinda forgot about it at that time.

Secret note posted:

I was sent here by Murtaugh. Of course, who else.

My objective was to disable the defense systems, so the invasion could reach the core of the subnet.

I know that I wasn't the first one sent out here. I know there were at least 5 people before me.

And as hard it might be to hear, you have to hear this:

Just as I wasn't the first here, you probably won't be the last.
Murtaugh has sent at least 5 people to their death? I'm starting to think I shouldn't have trusted him - but what choice did I have? Even if he did it for selfish reasons, he saved my life.

Besides, the only way out of here is through the defense systems, so I haven't got much of a choice right now...

And a bit of news: Murtaugh wants to reach the core of the Subnet, which is impossible to reach while the defense systems are up and running.

Back to business. There was a wall plug up here on the highest level the elevator can reach. When we plug in the Connection Pod, it activates and we move into a view where we can navigate a part of the System.

What's slightly annoying is that you have to click real close to those lines to move to the next screen in the System. In contrast, when walking around you can click anywhere near the edge of the screen and it will register.

Anyway, we toggle the setting to unlock door 5, retrace our steps to leave the System, take our Pod with us (after you exit the System, it just sits there in the wall), and take the elevator to the middle level.

The new room has another wall socket.

Going up, we find a virtual representation of the blinking screens in the room.

In the bottom screen, we can unlock door 8, upstairs.

I don't think those are office blocks in the background, I think they're parts of a huge computer.

Two new sockets in this corridor. Let's start with the left one.

Hm. Apparently it has noticed us and is running protocol 54-1 to stop us, and 54-2 to stop us from reading that message.

Up on top a representation of the fans we saw earlier. Hovering on them stops them temporarily. To the right, we seem to be locked out from going any further.

Let's hack the right hole in the wall then.

Isn't that convenient, a switch for the gate that just blocked us. We toggle it, exit the system, and go back to the left hole in the wall.

All those '54' protocols seem to be about locking us out, so we switch all of them off.

The first change is that we can now read the message.

Murtaugh posted:

@lab
I don't know if this message reaches anyone or just bounces off of the defense system firewall, but if there is a slightest chance then I must take it.
---
I need you to disable following protocols:
2-18 - secondary DS
1-12 - primary DS
1-0 - mainframe
Thanks for the info, bastard.

Actually, following his instructions might be the only way I get out of here alive. I'll keep those protocols in mind - secondary defense, primary defense, and if I have to, the entire mainframe itself.

RTL
After disabling protocol 54-4, we can find the final secret area in the first System access we used, outside door 8.

Hey, a map of where humans have been. I'm going to guess C is the core. You can see a radius around the core is free of the 'infection', showing that the defense system works quite well to protect it. I'm not sure if there's any other meaning to the pattern on this map. If anyone has an idea, I'd like to hear it.

In any case, disabling protocol 54-3 lets us proceed in the rightside port.

Clicking on the square with the tiny e moves it to another position.

We move it next to our position on the map, which brings another elevator this way.

This time it has horizontally aligned buttons. That makes it different from the other elevator, you see. By the way, I accidentally forgot to take the Connection Pod out of the socket, I had to come back for it. It's an easy mistake to make.

RTL
This is where the rightmost button takes us. I think it corresponds with the leftmost part of the map we just saw.

We're blocked from going up by this electric spark. So let's try to go to the other elevator stop.

RTL
This whole area has a much more mechanical look to it, I think. The walls aren't as shiny here.

The right ladder takes us here, to another wall socket. Before we start hacking, let's see what's to the left.

Another socket and a telescope. The view isn't terribly impressive, though.

I went back around to the right side to start hacking there. It seems we found the turret control. That thing looks rather dangerous. We're going to do something about that.

Down here we can see it's armed.

Going left, we can disarm it. It's still operational, though.

But now that it's disarmed, we can take it offline in lower portion of this System part.

This allows us to do some stuff inside the System part to the left. I happened to take this screenshot right during a screen transition, and decided to leave it in because it shows what plugging in looks like.

If we hadn't turned off the turret, we'd be stopped right here. But as it is, we can go up, and then either go left to 2-18 or right to 2-17. Murtaugh told us to disable protocol 2-18, so let's completely ignore him and go right.

Oops. Protocol 2-17 seems to search for any disabled turrets and turns them back on.

Going back out, the way to 2-18 is gone and once we backtrack further, we can't even go back to 2-17.

Luckily this protocol can't re-arm the turret. But we have to go back around, hack into the system to the right and take the turret offline again to be able to get to 2-18.

RTL
2-18 looks like just another toggle. I wonder what this does.

It completely resets all turrets, batch by batch. If you let this happen, 'our' turret will turn back on, and we need to go back around to turn it off, similarly to triggering 2-17.

However, if we press cancel while it's in the process of resetting, this somehow breaks the entire secondary defense system.

In case you were wondering, this also disables protocol 2-17 and entirely breaks the turret's system in the other room. DS2 is offline now, meaning we can progress elsewhere. But let's take a break first.

As a final side note, the wiki points out that Mateusz used the same green computer visuals in a more traditional 'room escape' type game he made for the Jay is Games site. I'm not going to LP it, but you can check it out here if you like.

In any case, join me next time to see if we can disable the computer's final defenses and if we can pull off a daring escape. We can.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Similarities to Blame! are more glaring, now.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I feel so bad for the random people those dots that are far away from everyone else represent. It's already pretty alienating being in the submachine net, buy dying so far away and isolated in an inhuman place seems pretty nightmarish.

Glad this LP is back!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is actually pretty neat, for both the plot and this sudden duality of the cyberworld.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 16

Alright, let's see if we can get out of this dangerous place. Last update ended just after we disabled the secondary defense system and shut down all the turrets.

We take the 'horizontal button elevator' back to the other section, which we tried to visit last time, only to find out we were blocked from continuing there.

RTL
The entrance area hasn't changed.

But disabling DS2 turns off the electrical barrier up the ladder.

Up on top we have direct access to the mainframe. We're getting close! Let's dive in.

We can click the middle dot here to change the direction we can travel in. First of all, there's an interesting area if you go down. I almost missed this one because I assumed it was the way back out. I don't think it's actually possible to leave the mainframe at this point.

Down here are these folders, each one clearly referencing one of the Submachine games, including Zero and FLF. Clicking on one shows a string of binary. Each one apparently spells out the name of the game it's referencing.

To the left of the intersection is this puzzle. Moving the mouse along one axis (horizontally) moves the right dots up and down, while it rotates one of the left dots around the other. Moving the mouse along the other axis moves the left dots up and down, while rotating one of the right dots. The goal is to connect the dots, as you can see on the right. This will lock them in and make some binary code pop up.

It sounds more complicated than it is. In practice I find myself moving the mouse around slowly until I hit the sweet spot. It can be a bit finicky but it isn't too hard.

Solving this puzzle makes a connection appear in the top section. We need both connections to continue, though, so let's go right from the four-way intersection.

A closed gate, with the switch to open it right there. Nice and simple.

We hit this unlabeled toggle and the way forward opens.

This dot takes us to the next part of the mainframe System.

This time it's a 5-way intersection. Things are definitely getting tougher near the end!:downs:
Up is the 1-0 gate. Murtaugh told us that's the mainframe itself, but we can't access it because the primary defense is still online.

To the right is the gate to the primary DS settings. To open it, we need to active the three lights. Guess what the three other directions of the intersection are for.

To the bottom right is this strange part. Once again, we need to connect the dots. This time, we do so by dragging the filled-in dots with the mouse. The top left one is our connection to the intersection and is stuck. The others can move 'freely', except that the connection lines can't get longer. So you need to disentangle this mess carefully.

Once you got it right, everything clicks in place and another binary message appears. It seems most of these longer strings of binary spell out a word or something, but they aren't very interesting. This one just says 'locked'.

It doesn't get any simpler than this 'puzzle' to the bottom left, which is just a toggle. To the top left is another mouse movement based puzzle.

In this case, horizontal movement moves the left dot right and left, while vertical movement rotates that dot to the right. Connect the dots... and that should unlock the primary DS gate.

> reset

I'm not completely sure how this is supposed to work, but resetting the human recognition pattern turns off the primary defense system entirely. Does it think we're one of its service robots now?

You want assistance? Let's give you some assistance.

Hell yeah, I'm sure.

And it turns off like an old CRT TV.
It's weird to think about how long CRT screens have been out of production now. There's already plenty of people around who don't even remember what a CRT TV was like. Aaaanyway, it isn't quite over yet.

Murtaugh posted:

mur@lab: hello?
mur@lab: I can't believe it.
mur@lab: you managed to disable the defense systems of the subnet.
mur@lab: now we can travel freely throughout the net. We can finally invade the core of the submachine.

mur@lab: unfortunately for you, your adventure ends here.

mur@lab: good bye.
Murtaugh? What do you mean by that? MURTAUGH? MURTAUGH!!!

He ejects our Pod, making it fall all the way down. He also disables the wall socket so we can't plug it in again.

The lights are out. Even the elevator is completely dead. We seem to be stuck. Murtaugh is trying to kill us.

The good news is that we're now able to remove the cover of the fan in the left room.

We take the fan out and struggle our way up the ventilation pipe.

It's a long way up but we manage to reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

RTL
There doesn't seem to be much here, though. The left is just a dead end. There seems to be something to the right, though.

Crap, it's another dead end... wait, did we pass something on the way here?

Good thing we brought the Connection Pod, these original Portals don't have the human-friendly interface.

When we hit the toggle, the Portal immediately activates...

And that is it. I think the Edge is an interesting game. There's a lot you learn about the history of the Submachine in this game, and the "exploring computers to hack them" mechanic is quite fun. The only thing that doesn't sit quite right is the fact that you're clearly supposed to feel scared, because a lot of people died here. Yet, you're never in risk of being shot by the turrets. The only one you get to see is on a computer screen. Any tension falls a bit flat. Then again, I'm not sure if it's possible to get that quite right in this kind of game.

Before we go to the Core, there's one more side game to see. So join me next time, when I'll play Submachine: 32 Chambers.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 3, 2016

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016
It really ends on something of a cliffhanger. Do they all in the series do that?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, most of the games end on cliffhangers. It's more enticing that way. When they were all slowly releasing, the cliffhangers kept people interested and made them play the series over and over looking for new hints about what was going on in the Submachine. Submachine Universe was also released at this point and helped bridge the time between 6 and 7 even though it didn't have any real plot-advancing elements to it. I'm going to put any details of it in spoilers because CD has said they may or may not show at the end if they can figure out a way to do so since it's an exploration game instead of a plot focused one. I figure it's ok to talk about here because there aren't currently plans to show it off and this is the point at which it was released but if CD wants me to get rid of it I will.

It's interesting because it involves the portal device from Submachine 4 and 5 and allowed players to explore all over old rooms and a bunch of new ones to try and uncover new places. In those rooms you'd often find pieces of paper lying around with notes on them theorizing about the mystery of the submachine. Apparently those theories came from the Submachine forums themselves, so it was a cool sort of Alternate Reality Game-style of user integration. It also got updated periodically so players would go back to it every couple months and there might be new rooms with new theories to uncover. I don't think it was updated much longer after 7 released but it was a neat timewaster that you could easily spend a good few hours on exploring around and seeing what weird stuff was hiding in parts of the submachine the main games never went to. If you managed to follow a long chain of room hints you eventually found your way to what later became the beginning rooms of Submachine 7, with a note that congratulated you on finding the area and expressed hope that you were looking forward to the next game.

CD, was 32 Chambers released before or after Sub7? I could have sworn it was released after 7 but I might be wrong.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

First of all, I've had some time to think about it and I've decided I won't be letsplaying Submachine Universe, I don't think it would be very interesting in a Let's Play format. All I am planning is making a post explaining what Universe is about, and post a link for those who want to explore themselves.

Submachine Universe was originally released a few months after Submachine 6 (the one I just finished), but it seems Mateusz updated it after each new game, adding new rooms and stuff. The wiki has a changelog of Universe, showing some new rooms were added at least once every year (not linking, too many spoilers in the wiki). What's funny is that there's still player theories in there that have been made impossible by future games. Apparently Murtaugh has promised another big update of Universe sometime this year, to add stuff from Submachine 10, the final game.

Anyway, feel free to talk about Universe, just don't mention any parts that come from main series games I haven't LPed yet.

Internet tells me that Submachine: 32 Chambers was released in August 2010, while Submachine 7: The Core was released in December 2010. So they are quite close, but 32 Chambers was earlier, so I'll show off that one first.

Unrelatedly, I think FPZero is the first person who abbreviates my name as 'CD' instead of 'CO2' ;)

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of curious as to why you'd end up getting "betrayed" like that. Have we got some kind of special power or something from having solved all these puzzles and now we're a threat?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Glazius posted:

Kind of curious as to why you'd end up getting "betrayed" like that. Have we got some kind of special power or something from having solved all these puzzles and now we're a threat?
The impression that I get is that we were a useful tool that has served its purpose. Though his comments at the end there seem to indicate he may be planning something morally questionable, and would rather not have us attempting to interfere.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I always got a "you've outlived your usefulness" vibe out of the end of Sub6. It's interesting because up to this point, Mur has been pretty much our only outside communication and has seemed relatively benevolent until this chapter.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Unrelatedly, I think FPZero is the first person who abbreviates my name as 'CD' instead of 'CO2' ;)

:doh:

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

FPzero posted:

Yeah I always got a "you've outlived your usefulness" vibe out of the end of Sub6. It's interesting because up to this point, Mur has been pretty much our only outside communication and has seemed relatively benevolent until this chapter.
Seems a bit pointless though, it isn't like the protagonist is any position to know the Mur has screwed him over. Mur could just as easily said "drat, there's been a breach in the 3rd reactor's containment buffer and it's disrupting the subnet's pattern regulator. I'm not going to be able to keep this link open, do your best to survive, I'll reconnect as soon as I can, otherwise I'll see you in the Core" and not turned the only competent person he's met in here into an enemy on the off chance he runs into something he needs help with in the Core.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason he seems to be in a full evil villain "gotta explain my plan to the protagonist" mode right now, yeah.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 17
Submachine: 32 Chambers

Submachine 4: The Lab posted:

Need water. Must find water. Not much, one drop would be enough. Just one drop of water. All I see is sand, 32 chambers filled with sand as I remember.

Write down the coordinates, he said. Wish I have done that. I need water.
Just a drop...

Welcome back! Today we're tackling the final side game, and explore the 32 Chambers.

The origin story for this game is rather funny. Casual game review site Jay is Games did a game design competition with the theme "Sandbox". This reminded Mateusz of the Note he put in Submachine 4. He made a game about these 32 chambers filled with sand... and won the competition by a landslide victory. Apparently it didn't matter that it wasn't a sandbox genre game.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 32 - Ambient

It seems we are playing as one of the original explorers, possibly the person who left that note. Anyway, let's get the hell out of here, I'm not sure if this place is safe.

Well, poo poo.

This area is themed around Meso-American cultures. There's a Mayan glyph in the back, and apparently our explorer can read ancient languages. This glyph is here to greet us. Also, to the right, partially obscured by the rock, we find a Jadeite. Let's go left.

The box has a box glyph on it. Clicking it opens it, making a bunch of sand flow out, and revealing an object.

The Bacab(wiki) were four Mayan(wiki) gods holding up the sky. They also had to do with the progression of the years, but Wikipedia doesn't say anything about the seasons.

I don't know much about Mayan culture, so if any reader has anything to add, go right ahead. Anyway, clicking the air glyph in the back opens up some kind of vent we can crawl through.

There's a second Jadeite in the vent. We pick it up and climb down to find an exit. I'm keeping a room count to the right of the images, by the way. These parts of the vent are 3 and 4.

RTL
The game calls that broomstick thing a Lever Handle, so we pick it up. There's also a Jadeite very sneakily hidden in the sand on the left side. Most of the puzzles in this game are about getting the gemstones, and they are required for beating the game, so if you miss this one you have to come back later and possibly search everywhere before you find it.

Compare the floor on this picture to the last one if you want to see where the Jadeite actually was.

You can climb up here to another area. I cut off the HUD from the top part so you can more easily see the complete picture. It is an actual Mayan relief, found on the sarcophagus of a Mayan king, Pacal the Great(wiki), although it's shown upside down here. Apparently some groups of conspiracy theorists believe it shows a guy piloting a rocket ship, supposedly proving that the ancients had contact with extraterrestrials.

In any case, it is hard to see, but the top left of the relief holds the Winter Bacab Plate. Luckily the cursor changes when you're hovering over an object you can interact with. Let's climb back down and explore to the right.

Here we have an Olmec face. As I understand it, the Olmecs(wiki) were a similar but distinct culture from the Mayas, possibly their predecessors. Anyway, we plug in the Lever Handle, push it upwards, and hear a sound that reminds me of an hourglass emptying.

We opened up something in the relief room. Down in the tunnel we grab the Wooden Stick standing against the left wall.

By the way, if you're wondering why I'm counting clearly connected parts of rooms as separate chambers, and why I'm also counting tunnels... well, let's get back to that question when we finish this game.

In this room, we pick up the Wooden Bowl from the stand above the door. We can also push down the rod in the back, but it pops right back up, and we don't have anything that kan keep it down.

The message shown on the left is from the glyphs. According to the Submachine wiki these are all real Mayan glyphs, but Mateusz gave them a new meaning for the game.

To the right we find Ixtab(wiki), the Mayan goddess of suicide. It's hard to believe, but apparently the Mayans believed that in certain circumstances, suicide was a honorable way to die, and was a sure ticket to the Mayan version of heaven. I guess in a way it's similar to the more recent Japanese way of ritual suicide, seppuku.

Clicking on the center stone plate cycles it through four 'elements'. We simply follow the hint in the last room, in order. So we leave the plate in this room to show 'air'.

In the next room we put the plate on 'wind', and pick up our 4th Jadeite from the floor (back right).

In the furthest room to the right, we put the plate on 'fire', which immediately locks all plates in place and opens up something, somewhere. The box contains a Round Stone, which we'll be needing later.

A ladder opened up in the room with the hint, taking us down into the 15th room.

Pushing our Wooden Stick into the hole in the wall makes a wall shift, so we can grab our first Topaz. If you look carefully, you'll see there's also another Jadeite sitting on the third ladder step from the bottom.

Downstairs we find a rather dangerous looking area. The spears that shoot out when your mouse cursor gets close make a reappearance.

Going right, we find an easy to grab Jadeite. Apparently this statue in the room beyond that is from the Toltec culture(wiki). The Aztecs considered the Toltec culture their cultural and intellectual predecessors, in the same way westerners often think about the ancient Greeks and Romans. And that's four Meso-American cultures I've mentioned already: Maya, Olmec, Toltec, and Aztec(wiki).

Anyway, the glyphs to the bottom translate to, from left to right: "Water", "Refutation / Denial / Rejection", and "Drink". Another hint - we have to deny the statue a drink of water. Can you think of anything available we could put in his chalice that would indicate the opposite of a drink of water?

If you said sand, well done! To the right we find a head in the wall which vomits sand when we turn the wheel.

We can use the Wooden Bowl to catch some. It doesn't look like it when it's sitting in the inventory, but it fits on those iron bars perfectly. And no, I don't know why the game won't let me grab sand from one of the piles elsewhere.

The sand goes into the chalice, and our clumsy researcher drops the bowl down into the abyss. Nothing seems to happen at first, but something opened up elsewhere. Fun bit of trivia: according to the wiki, this is the only room in the entire series where it's possible to render a game unwinnable. There's a bug, it's possible to leave this room before the animation has finished. If you do so, you lose the bowl and the next part never triggers. This was clearly unintentional - in some cases the puzzles of Submachine get deviously hard, but they never get unfair.

One room to the left, a rope was lowered. It seems the vertical wall here has to do with the Mayan Calendar.

Anyway, we pick up the Spring Bacab Plate from all the way up top, just above the little arch above the calendar. To the right we find a door and a 'mole glyph' with a down-pointing arrow.

The latter is a hint that you can remove a floor panel here to get the 2nd Topaz. To the right are a pair of Pokeballs that turn when you click on them.

Anyway, through the open door (it wasn't locked) we find... a wall blocking our progress.

The left Pokeball rotates this wall, letting us pick up the Stone Cone and letting us through to the next room.

The next chamber is still blocked off. We need the right Pokeball to turn this wall. As a slight complication, turning the right Pokeball also turns the left one (but not vice versa), so you need to get the right wall correct first, then also move the left one back into the correct position.

After turning the wall a bit, we see a ladder going further down, and some kind of switch. We still can't pass, though.

That looks better.

Down here, we're blocked by sand, but at least we find the Weightstone. Time for a bit of backtracking.

The Weightstone is used to hold down the rod here. Most of the puzzles in 32 Chambers are rather straightforward. The difficult part is finding all the objects you need.

Pushing down the rod removes the sand in chamber 25, letting us climb down to... more sand.

To the left, we find a second Round Stone. I'm not sure what this is a statue of. There's no description on mouse-over and the wiki doesn't seem to mention it either.

To the right of the ladder we just took down, we find a gate with a symbol that looks like the switch in the Pokeball wall room. We'll get back to that.

In the rightmost room (the 29th, we're getting there!), there's a statue with the 7th Jadeite on its forehead. The wiki does have an entry on this one: It's a stela, or commemorative statue, to honor a Mayan king of Copán, Honduras(wiki).

Now, to open the gate, we have to use the Pokeball panel in the lower room in order to reach the switch up the ladder.

This gives us access to the last part of these Submachine ruins.

RTL
We end up in the boring looking room to the right. The room to the left has a lot of stuff.

First off, the box contains the 3rd Topaz. Secondly, according to the glyph, the drawing on the wall is of Ah Puch. Wikipedia tells me this name is related to the Maya "Death Gods"(wiki), however it only appears in later writings, so it was probably not an original Maya name.

Finally, putting the Stone Cone on the stone on the floor makes a pillar rise, and unlocks something next door with a series of clicks.

Stairs have appeared there. Before we climb them, let's also look at the right room. According to the glyph, this is a drawing of Chak Chel(wiki), also known as Ix Chel, the 16th century name of the Mayan goddess of medicine and midwifery. An opposite to the Death God in the other room, I suppose.

We pick up the Summer Bacab Plate from near the feet of the goddess. The Tooth glyph is the one to the bottom right. Clicking on it gives us access to the final Jadeite.

The ending is up the stairs, but we need one more Topaz to activate it, so let's backtrack and get that first. Another little annoyance that shouldn't be a puzzle but becomes one anyway, in order to leave through the gate, you need to click in front of the stairs, because you walked straight in. All other transitions in 32 Chambers allow sideways exits so you might've forgotten that this is a thing.

We need to go all the way back to Olmec, near the very beginning of the game. The two Round Stones are his eyes. Now, what we need to do is lure him into a lava pit and claim the gold as our own.

Well no, that's another really good game. The head simply opens its mouth and we can grab the Topaz.

And here we are! Up the stairs, Chamber 33 of 32, this is where you find out you're in trouble if you missed any gemstones.

We put the Jadeites in the outer ring and the four Bacab Plates in the inner part.

Next we have to turn each ring until it matches up with the rest. When you get a ring right, it locks in place.

After matching up the outer rings, we can fit in the Topaz crystals in and turn the inner rings.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 32 - Monks

Finally, we move the face right side up in order to finish the game. This complex looking object is actually an Aztec relic, the Aztec Calendar Stone(wiki), also known as the Sun Stone, dug up in Mexico City.

http://i.imgur.com/B0wfdMg.gifv It seems to act like a Stargate.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 32 - Outro

And it ends on, well, this note. 21-12-2012 is the date the long count of the Mayan calender ended. The long count lasts roughly 5000 years, and for some reason people were convinced this was the end of the world. This game was released in 2010, when the Mayan calender thing was quite hyped.

7137 is close to the date when the current long count ends. Mateusz apparently said later that this means that in the game, somehow we just saved the world from destruction.

Indeed, thanks to everyone who's reading this thread. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far (or at least I hope you are).

... So, what's up with there being 33 chambers in "32 Chambers"? The answer is, I don't know. The wiki implies that one of the double-tall rooms should be counted as a single chamber... but that makes no sense, because there's multiple of those, no reason to treat one differently from the other. Keeping the tunnels out of the calculation makes no sense either. I think Mateusz either simply miscounted, needed an extra room to make the layout work, or counted like a programmer, meaning there's a zeroth room.

This was the final side game. Next time, we'll explore some of the most beautiful parts of the Subnet in Submachine 7: The Core.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 9, 2017

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
My understanding of it is that there are "32 chambers filled with sand." The 33rd and final chamber, with the calendar and gemstones, has no sand in it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is a neat little side entry but it's pretty frustrating if you haven't been able to find the jadeite easily. I had no clue that all of those Mayan glyphs meant a variety of things, including hints, but this is Submachine; I should expect that everything has a purpose or meaning.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ManicVolcanic posted:

My understanding of it is that there are "32 chambers filled with sand." The 33rd and final chamber, with the calendar and gemstones, has no sand in it.

That theory would make sense, but you'd have to apply it on a metaphorical level. Rooms 3, 7, 20, 21 and 22 also have no (visible) sand in them.

By the way, I went to a real life escape room yesterday. It was a fun experience. Lots of finding numbers together to open number padlocks, which unlock other hints and keys for other locks. And all of that in a nicely themed series of rooms.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've been interested in visiting one of those places here in DC sometime. Just need to get my friends together and go.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I assume that he was counting rooms, adding one to his count as he programmed. At some point, he skipped one by accident, and it was too late to fix it by the time he discovered it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, huh. A game-wide collection quest that you actually need to do to complete the game. I think that's actually pretty neat.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Time for a new page, I think.

I never really liked the ending of 32 Chambers. Aside from a personal distaste for the Aztec calender doomsday "theory", it also leaves everything unresolved, which isn't too good for a standalone game. On the other hand, it was only made for a gamejam.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what we will see at the Submachine's Core.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Just what is a submachine anyway? I've been reading through and I'm still not sure why anybody would make a machine like this.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tombot posted:

Just what is a submachine anyway? I've been reading through and I'm still not sure why anybody would make a machine like this.

I don't think it was created by humans. I'm not sure if alternate universes are at play, but if there's a thing about a karma arm opening up doors to different places, then maybe a Submachine is something that's keeping track of all the different realities, and cataloging them for... stuff?

Another theory is whether there's even a 'real world' for us to return to. Maybe submachines are what's real, while we're actually kinda in a Matrix movie sort of situation that we just woke up from.

Just tossing stuff at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know what this all reminds me of, that might actually make a pretty sick game along these lines in its own right?

Gearworld. Its a sort of a fictional travelogue about a similar sort of underground complex; full of bizarre mechanisms of usually uncertain purpose, ancient beyond living memory, and no clear indication who put it there. The main differences are, unlike Submachine, there's definitely a surface to return to, people get down there because there are occasional entrances on the surface; and it's not sinister at all, it's just kind of there being old and befuddling, sort of like the Antikythera mechanism. It doesn't really kill people arbitrarily, the scholar "writing" it occasionally meets other explorers I believe. And, of course, Ursula Vernon is a hell of a lot funnier than Mateusz.

It's a little difficult to read because I don't think it was ever collected in a more coherent format than the livejournal it was originally posted on, but it's a pretty good read all the same.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 18
Submachine 7: The Core

It's time for the next game in the main series, The Core. If you remember, last time, in the Edge, we turned off the Submachine's defense systems, but then Murtaugh betrayed us and we barely escaped by taking a Portal to an unknown location.

We arrive in the new location to see the Portal fizz out. We left the Connection Pod behind at the Edge portal so there's no way to go back - not that we wanted to anyway. Let's explore.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 7 - Dark

Immediately to the left we find this strange sort of energy barrier. If we touch it (by clicking) it causes a tiny ripple and a dull sound. But we're not getting through like this.

To the right of the portal then. Here we find some weird machinery and Greek-inspired remnants of a building.

More importantly, we find our first inventory item, the Steel Tube. On the next screen, there's more... stuff and a few planks hiding an item.

The blue square object is a Key Stone. We'll take it with us. A bit further ahead, we find some useful stuff. Seems there's been people here not that long ago.

We grab the Code Card from the ground, and the Picture and Note from the table. This game has separate inventory slots for notes and for pictures, making it easy to look through them for hints. That will come in handy.

The picture seems to have some kind of hint. As far as the note goes...

quote:

note to myself

possible entry points failed

check on 291

good feeling about this one
Okay, this tells us a few things. Submachine explorers have been here, probably Murtaugh's people if not himself. They were here four years ago - the game was released in December 2010 and the note is dated December 2006. And a set of Portal coordinates. Except, they aren't that useful. As you can find out in Submachine Universe, they're actually the coordinates of our current location, known as the Sanctuary.

One screen further to the right we find a dead end - we have to be careful to not fall into the void. But there's another picture with a hint here.

The Code Card allows us to pull the switch and shut down the energy barrier to the left. Let's continue.

...only to run into another barrier, this time without a reachable off switch. Let's at least grab that rock on the pillar.

Hey! Did you see that? I can't pass through... but that rock can. That gives me an idea.

Careful now.

Yes!

And with the light bulb broken, the shield shuts off and we can go on. But that reminds me of something.

After switching off the previous shield, we could've taken the intact Lightbulb. Let's grab it now, I don't want to come back for it later. Let's go left.

More pillars and more weird tech. And a valve we'll need in a bit.

RTL
Nothing of use to the right here, but someone broke through the wall so we can go further left. The text appears when you look at the Buddha statue.

RTL
We do grab the Gong stick standing against the statue. To the left there's a pair of big guns. Are these part of the defense grid? Were they brought here by the human explorers? At least they seem to be out of order now. We'll take the Key sitting at the bottom of the screen though.

These pretty fluorescent plants are everywhere in this area. It's part of why I think the Core looks so pretty and alien. They sway around a bit whenever my cursor passes them. Anyway, the empty pot has another Key Stone.

RTL
Further to the left, we find some old ruins, and then a gong. Well, we have a stick, so...

DONGGGGGG.

We'll find out what the gong did in a second. In the pot there's another hint picture. We have no idea yet what it's for.

Further on we find some more plants and pots. There doesn't seem to be anything here, but it turns out there's a small clickable area between two of the pots. Here we find our first Token, which are the optional secrets of this game. There are five in total but they're really well hidden.

We're as far right as we can go. Another statue with a zen-like message, but this one is holding a third Key Stone. We've seen all of the Sanctuary now, so we'll have to backtrack and see if we can find a way out of here.

On the way back we find that the rubble on the screen to the right of the gong has assembled itself into some sort of doorway... including floating blocks. But we can't do anything with it yet. First we have to go all the way back to the explorer camp and use our key to open a box.

Where we find a carefully packaged wisdom gem for the taking - although this game calls it an Energy Gem.

The Energy Gem fits into a slot in the gateway and activates it.

To actually open the gateway we need to use the right combination of Key Stones. That's where we need one of the hint pictures.

We put the Key Stones in the right way, use the valve to turn the middle part, and there we go. The gate opening doesn't make any sound, so if you don't know what to do you might be stuck trying combinations for a looong time. Anyway, let's step into the light.

Woah... that was weird.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 7 - Heavenly
I like this track. As soon as you step through the gateway, you know that you're in a completely different kind of place. Welcome to the Winter Palace.

A few of the notes here don't fit on a single page, this is one of them. Make sure to read the transcription for those.

Liz posted:

Hello.

My name is Elizabeth.

Welcome to my temple of solitude.

There is a great chance that you wandered here after being tested by Murtaugh. If that is the case, I am very sorry that I couldn't get to you before him. It must have been tough on you to get through all his traps, tests and tasks to fulfill. However - worry no more. If you can't find me in the garden, then I am at my laboratory and will be joining you shortly.

Please wait patiently here and try not to touch anything.

Thank you.

L.
Well, Liz seems nice so far. It's just... who knows how long ago this was written. Let's keep exploring to make sure.

Let's go left first. There's an inscription on the stone here. I don't really know why there's suddenly a king or who he is, but we could use some peace after all that happened in the Edge.

We're basically on a path that connects the actual Winter Palace to the right to the South Garden on the left, and we're currently going towards the Garden. The stand here has a map and an attached note.

Liz posted:

How could they have possibly known?

How could they mimic the structure of the subnet so accurately within simple garden plans?...

This is completely baffling.

L
Okay, seems we're somewhere in the middle of this garden. The map looks complicated and apparently it mimics the Submachine network? Weird.

Further to the left there's four more smaller gateways. Only one is active, so let's go through.

We've teleported to the top right of the map... and there's lots of these pretty plants here, and floating rocks with mushrooms for some reason. The Submachines get so strange sometimes...

Further to the right we find a bronze Key, and after that a dead end. We can't go any further in the South Garden right now, so let's return to the large gateway and explore the Winter Palace.

Thank you, majesty.

Now this one screen annoys me a lot. Submachine 7 is a great game overall but here I got stuck for a while on what I think is a game design mistake. You know how Submachine has taught you so far to click on the edge of the screen to go to the next area? Well, in this case, if you click on the far right (near the banister with the plants behind it), the screen scrolls right and you end up on a walkway in front of the palace. But if you click on the domed gateway to the middle-right, the screen also scrolls right, and you go inside the palace. There's nothing clearly indicating that these are different paths, until you actually find there's two separate clickable areas. Of course you need to go both ways to beat the game. You could wander around for hours trying to find an item you missed or something, while it was a fork in the road all along.

Anyway. Let's first take the far right path to the walkway in front of the palace.

Liz posted:

I know it is kind of ironic to dock my laboratory out here in the ruins of the winter palace.

The king always wanted this palace to become safe haven for people of science.

Here I am, my king.

L
I'm not sure what kind of laboratory can be docked... but it seems these out of place things to the right are the docking clamps. Now we just need to find a row boat to get to the lab.

To the left of the ladder, the path seems to be broken up into floating blocks. All that's here is a Stone Key (not to be confused with a Key Stone) we can pick up.

Back to the palace entrance, let's visit the actual Winter Palace this time.

Pamphlet posted:

WELCOME

Welcome to the world's famous Winter Palace of the fourth dynasty.

Built in 1832 by sir Henry o'Toole, a young architect, barely known at that time, merely the servant of King's master urbanist.

After finishing this palace o'Toole gained respect in modern art circles of the Western Kingdom.

This Winter Palace and surrounding gardens are prime examples of antistructural architecture freed from boundaries of material durability.

Make sure you also visit the famous Kent Lighthouse built by the same architect.

Thank you for coming, we hope to see you again.
Hah. This place was built by the same guy that built the Lighthouse. That explains a lot.

Indeed. The Lighthouse was built in 1857, so this was built 25 years earlier. What's also fascinating is that the pamphlet seems to be designed by the same person that made the Lighthouse tourist pamphlet (I think that's Mateusz' signature at the bottom).

The door here is closed tight. But as I move my mouse towards a certain crack in the wall, some weird light appears. Let's carefully...

ARGH WHAT THE HELL! I think I'm gonna vomit. That felt like someone pulled me through a tiny tube by my navel.

Okay so we seem to have been teleported. Note that that animation normally only lasts a fifth of a second, so blink and you miss it. Now, let's see what that note has to say.

Liz posted:

Now you know how Murtaugh's karma portals work. You just used one. They can in fact transport you through different dimensions.

However the ones drawn within the core are... short range. Those were the first ones he has ever drawn. A test. Baby steps if you will.

Now that you used one - please, do not use them anymore. They shatter the fabric of this dimension. Murtaugh neglected that fact and... Just look around where we ended...

L
So, we've finally found the work of Murtaugh's karma arm, first hinted at in the very first game, before there was any kind of real story. Turns out they destroy the world - they're the cause of all shattered areas and floaty blocks.

By the way, in the right picture you see where the portal 'exits'. Karma portals are two-way, we could return through it.

To the right we find what looks like a puzzle, which we can't solve quite yet.

Left of the karma portal we find this door. It turns out it's the same locked door we saw before. The karma portal only teleported us two screens away, short range indeed. At least this means we don't have to take that portal ever again. Let's go up the stairs.

This is the view outside that window. Looks like there's some rocks floating in the void there.

To the left we find another karma portal. We have no choice to go through to collect a required item.

Crap, are you serious? I don't want to go through that again... okay quickly then..

URGH

We're now on that little rock we saw through the window. There's another Stone Key here, and that's it. We have to take the karma portal (in the crack in the rock) back to where we just were.

By the way, I'm not showing it off but the direction of the karma portal animation and the shape of the thick line is different each time you use a portal. From the portal, let's go to the right of the stairs.

quote:

Once there was a man who said he knew what was happening after Murtaugh left.

Since then that man left us as well.
Okaaaay...

Anyway, the second secret Token is hidden in the crack in the back wall. Good luck finding that if you don't know where to look.

And the Key we found earlier opens this door.

Some sort of control room, with another note.

quote:

Why does this sociopath only talk to Elizabeth?
I suppose they're talking about Mur. I'm not sure what kind of relationship he and Liz had or have.

Anyway, on the wall there's the map of the Garden again, this time without a "You are here".

And the control panel poses an easy puzzle. Only the third of four gates to the Garden was active, and only the third switch is down. So if we pull all of them down, and run back to the Garden entrance...

We can now explore the rest of the Garden.

But we'll do that next time. So join me then as we explore the rest of the Garden and the Palace, try to solve the most complicated puzzle in Submachine so far, and try to find out where Liz has gone.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not dead, folks!

Sorry for not updating in a while, I had all kinds of life stuff going on. I'll try to keep some kind of schedule going from now on, but I can't promise anything. I'm planning to finish this LP though.

At least I got the rest of Sub7 recorded so those updates should come out smoothly.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm not dead, folks!

Sorry for not updating in a while, I had all kinds of life stuff going on. I'll try to keep some kind of schedule going from now on, but I can't promise anything. I'm planning to finish this LP though.

At least I got the rest of Sub7 recorded so those updates should come out smoothly.

Awesome, I'd love to see the rest of these, they're really cool. The thread really does need another page, though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm not dead, folks!

Glad to see that you are back.

I'm just posting to help push this to a new page.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm also very glad that this is still going. Every once in a while I purge my thread bookmarks but I kept this one in last time in hopes you'd make a new update sometime.

The Core is a really interesting setting. I agree that those fluorescent plants really help contribute an alien feeling to this garden. It's a big change from the rusty, metallic areas we're accustomed to exploring. That fork in the road definitely confused me the first time I played, as did the puzzle you mentioned we couldn't do yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
^ Don't worry guys, this is the last post of this page. Next post should start a new one.

Anyway, welcome back. Glad to see this continuing.

• Locked thread