Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ousire posted:

But the thought that it's sentient is much more unsettling.

I feel the opposite, honestly. If it's sentient, then the possibility exists of communicating with it. Just imagine how incredible that could be, how much could be learned from peaceful communication and interaction with the Submachine. Something alive but unaware, you can't do much with. Humanity would essentially always be at its mercy, with no way to communicate. And while it may turn out that the Submachine is outright hostile to humans, it might also not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 30
Submachine 10: The Exit

Last time we made significant progress. We explored several areas and learned a thing or two about the nature of the Submachine. Let's continue where we left off, and go to Portal IOI, the Stabilizer Bay.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Grime Dragon

RTL
Only two screens to the left of the Portal, but one of them has a weird statue, while the other one has a Note on the back wall.

This is one of those Notes that doesn't fit the screen in one go, so be sure to read it here:

quote:

- If there is countless number of sub-layers, it's practically impossible for two people the end up in the same layer, right?
- Yes, good observation.
- But the non-living matter can be persistant between layers.
- Yes, there are special building materials mixed with just a hint of karmic water. This technique was discovered during the Fourth Dynasty.
- Naturally. The architects of the Plan...
- So you can imagine how a non-living sentient organism, powered by the super-intelligence of Shiva was able to embrace all layers at once. The Submachine is now living in five dimentions.
I am a bit surprised that it says here that the Plan was made by architects from 'the Fourth Dynasty". I thought it was the Submachine itself that came up with it. Also, a strange mention of Shiva, which will become much clearer later this update.

To the right of the Portal we find this handle that makes a ladder come down. Up we go.

RTL
The second level has some cables in the back.

And this weird sphere. We can open the door by turning both knobs.

Is that tape storage? And the mess of brown purple cables kinda reminds me of a brain. Anyway, one seems to be missing, so we'll have to come back later.

To the left we find the Vector Finder that was still missing.

And on the right we use the Ladder Piston we found all the way back in the Captain's Ship to raise the ladder.

Why couldn't the builders of this place just have put down tall enough ladders? Oh well, let's grab the Picture.

Another one of those single-glyph hints.

How nice, the Karma Portal here is already activated.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 8 Redux 2

And it brings us to the Dock, the Layer 1 area of Submachine 8. We immediately grab the Coil from the first screen, and then go left.

Hm, a holder for a Light Sphere, which we don't have. The steps going down are still there, so let's take those.

By the way, if you were wondering why the music is called 'redux 2', well the soundtrack has a few bonus tracks that didn't end up in the actual games. Apparently, for this area, Mateusz went with the second iteration Thumpmonks made.

Down here, we can put the Ladder Step in the wall, but that won't be enough to climb further down. We really can't do much here right now.

So, we run back to the Portal and jump to OII now, an area with a spherical Portal device.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Crossover

It looks a bit dangerous, walking on pipes hanging in the void. But I suppose we don't have much of a choice.

Oh hey, we can go inside here.

To the right, the laser grid blocks our way.

RTL
To the left, there's another laser grid. But there's also a hole to let us into the lower sphere.

Among the mess of cables, there's a three way switch. But any position other than the starting position immediately blocks our way out, so we'll leave it as it was.

Outside to the right, we find a sphere larger than the others.

Over the top and down the other side...

RTL
And we find another way in.

quote:

- - - - - - - - S.H.I.V.A. - - - - - - - -

no permission to access
(@sh):root.ping//
And here we have it. This Portal location is called the S.H.I.V.A. Access Area. As you can see it's a sort of hub for the multidimensional supercomputer, the "Mind" to use a sci-fi term, of the Submachine. And it's called S.H.I.V.A. This is what all the Hindu references were leading up to.

We don't have access to actually do anything with it, so instead we go left and grab the Plasma Charge (which I actually didn't recognize as a pick up at first glance).

The pipe to the left leads to the other side of the laser barrier we saw before.

We'll be back. For now, let's go to the final Portal area, III, the Meditation Temple.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Transient

RTL
Let's start by going left one more time. An inactive Karma Portal thing, and a ladder.

The far left room holds the final hint to the puzzle in the Iron Pyramid. I'll put that on our list of places to return to.

RTL
At the moment there's not a lot to do down below.

Although the right side of this basement floor has got another one of these.

To the right of the Portal, we find a mostly symmetric layout.

I have no idea who this statue is supposed to depict, but he has a Ladder Step for the Submachine 8 area for us.

RTL
Down the right-side ladder, we find another Light Sphere device. If you count the rooms carefully, it follows that this Light Sphere should lead to the room directly under the Portal.

And to the right, there's another old Sub-Bot in its capsule.

That's all there's to see here, so it's time to go back to old areas and solve some puzzles. First stop, the Iron Pyramid.

All that was left to solve in this puzzle was the top symbol. Turns out it was already in the correct position. Oops. If I had known that I could've completed this puzzle way earlier.

Anyway, when the puzzle is in the solved position, the box in this room somewhere on the top left of the pyramid projects an item in a circle of Karma. But our inventory is full - and we're not nearly done with the game.

And that's why the Backpack is so handy. For now I put the Secret, the Stick and the Triple A Battery in. The Backpack can hold anything except for the Pictures and Notes, but it has a weird limitation in that if you are holding multiple items of a kind (like 2 Vector Finders), they would take up multiple slots of the Backpack, even though they are in one slot in the on-screen inventory. I suspect that's a technical limit of the game.

In any case, we made some room, so now we can pick up the Cog Wheel and move on.

The Iron Pyramid has these two rooms. We can't use our Cog Wheel on the first one, to the left of the Portal, but we can use it on the other one, which is near the right edge of the pyramid.

We put it in, and give it a turn. This makes the ladder in the next room shift down one room height. This makes it impossible for us to reach the top floors, but that doesn't matter, we're done there.

RTL
However, we can now access a new underground section, which has a boring old wooden ladder leading into a secret room of the Iron Pyramid.

Guess where we're going this time.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 5 Redux 1

Welcome back to the Root, from Submachine 5. We don't have those transporter keys anymore, so let's just explore this part.

I think we've already seen two empty Light Sphere sockets, so this is going to come in use soon.

Ah, it's the old citric acid puzzle.

No citric acid this time, though. Just a small Cog Wheel.

To the right, we find that the Sub-Bots have invaded even here. There's also a switch hidden behind those plates. I certainly missed that one the first time I played this. Who thinks of looking behind some random metal plates, if all other random stuff standing against walls doesn't ever have anything?

The switch lowers a ladder.

We can use those handles on the wall to make our way to a Karma Portal on the left.

This one is apparently short range, it takes us to another section of the Root. The other end of the Karma Portal is in that light socket to the left.

We can open that thing on the wall, although that has no effect. There's another note here, though.

quote:

- Do you know how many numbers are there between 0 and 1.
- ... Infinite?...
- Exactly. There is a countless number of sub-layers between any two main layers of reality. The important thing to remember is that as there are seven main layers, all stable, as all their sub-layers, there is also the eighth layer, known as the layer of light, which is not stable and it can float freely through all other layers. Murtaugh was trapped in the eighth layer once, that's why he was unable to focus his being on a single layer. Fortunately Elizabeth managed to snap him out of this trap.
Interesting bit of backstory, but I don't think this note has any shocking news.

That's it for the Root. We take the Karma Portals back to the Iron Pyramid, where we can put the small Cog Wheel in the other wall device. We'll need some more cogs before we can complete it.

Now that we have the final Vector Finder from the Stabilizer Bay, we can go on and activate the Karma Portal in the Karma Studies Facility.

But that will have to wait until next time.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 9, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

All those broken Sub-Bots kinda making me think that S.H.I.V.A. is broken and Submachine not so much works as coasts along on secondary functions.
Or it's in the slow and painful process of selfrepair after all those Karma Portals broke the everything in it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love how small bits of all the other games are beginning to show up. It really drives home the point that this is the final game that ties everything together.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FPzero posted:

I love how small bits of all the other games are beginning to show up. It really drives home the point that this is the final game that ties everything together.

Yeah, revisiting previously-solved puzzles to see what else has happened is pretty neat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just a quick notice that there won't be an update this weekend. Instead I spent some time moving all music links to a more stable host (lpix, and Clyp for the few files that were too large).

I expect to have an update ready next week, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 31

Welcome back. Last time we collected the last Vector Finder, so let's use it in the Karma Studies Facility.

"i wonder where i'll float next?"

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 6 Redux

RTL
The Karma Portal brings us back to the Cliffs, at the Edge. The Karma Portal has formed in the old Portal device. By the way, it turns out that this is the first time I got any Sub 6 music in the LP. When I was playing The Edge, I didn't consider it necessary to upload the ambients of that game.

RTL
Going left around the corner, we find the entrance to the Tunnels, and a Picture.

It's one more of these glyph hints.

Clicking on the grates makes the screws pop out one by one, and then the grates just roll off the cliff. Nifty!

We enter the left tunnel first.

The lasers are easily disabled.

Nothing on the pillar, but we pick up the hard to see Blockade Removal Tool from the floor.

RTL
Climbing the ladder, to the left we find another Plasma Charge.

And to the right we find yet another of these devices. We still can't do anything with them.

That's one tunnel explored. Time for the other one.

In this strange room, we can only go up.

To the right, there's this wheel that seems to be stuck.

On the other side, we get a third Plasma Charge.

The stuck wheel is why we needed to pick up the Blockade Removal Tool first. We remove the thing blocking the gears here.

Now the lights on the wheel are green, and we can use it to turn the room, so we can continue right.

Here we find another Ladder Step for the Submachine 8 area.

And another wheel, so we can go to the lower area.

It's always a bit difficult to find things to talk about in these tunnel areas. But we got a new item, a Karma Vial.

I have recorded this playthrough several weeks ago so I don't actually remember what it's for. I guess we'll have to find that out together.

And to the right, we find the Hatch Valve.

Now, there's no wheel down here, so to get out of the tunnel, we need to backtrack to the right, turn the wheel so we can reach the top wheel, and then rotate the room back into its original position.

With that done, we can go to the right of the Karma Portal we entered from.

Some devices with red lights (which means we can't use them yet) have appeared here. To the right, we can still climb on top of the pipe.

When I played through Submachine 6 I actually commented on this room - about how it was an actual empty dead end that served no purpose. Well, now a part of the rock wall has come down, revealing a hatch. I think Mateusz might have been planning this all along.

Conveniently, we just picked up the Hatch Valve.

More Sub-Bots, and another laser grid. If you paid attention to the one in the Tunnels, you know we need three Plasma Charges to activate the switch.

Now we reach our actual goal in this place.

Bleep. We'll need to visit S.H.I.V.A. again to see what we just did.

To the right is this S-3-C door which is tightly shut. Let's not worry about that and go solve puzzles elsewhere.

Back through the Karma Portal, and through the Karma Studies Facility to the Binary Portal, because we need to go back to IOI, the Stabilizer Bay.

Only to take the portal to the Docks again. This game has quite a bit of backtracking.

We can now use our Light Sphere here.

Inside the ship, there's a couple of items to collect.

The hatch to the right holds an Insulator Cap.

And on top, we find another Cog Wheel for the Iron Pyramid puzzle.

Back outside, we now have enough Ladder Steps to complete the ladder going down, into an area which we couldn't reach back in Submachine 8.

This floor looks different to the rest of the Dock...
We take the Light Sphere here and go further right to find a Note.

quote:

Light crown converter needed to connect light crown to the fuse outlet.
A rather direct hint for a puzzle later on. It'll be useful because it tells us what parts we need for that puzzle.

To the left, we find this picture about Layers, which we first saw in Submachine 7, I think. That was before we knew what the different Layers actually represented.

Further to the left, taking the Root Path Finder turns off the blue light. Sounds like we need to visit the Root again. Yeah, the game starts with a bunch of puzzles that stay within their own area, but in the second half we need to run from place to place, collecting things to use elsewhere.

This is the end of the road here, we've now completely explored the Dock. Next stop, the Root.

The Karma Portal to the Root was in the Pyramid, so on the way there I quickly put the Cog Wheel we just found in the wall device here. All we need is one more large Cog Wheel and we can complete this puzzle too!

Anyway, in the Root we go down and around to the other, semi-hidden Karma Portal which we found there before.

On the right side of this resin-covered room, we can fit the Root Path Finder in the socket to make a Karma ladder appear.

Going way down, we find the Data Tape.

[More backtracking...]

We need to bring this to the brain-data-something room in the Stabilizer Bay.

Good, instead of "Insufficient Data", it now says that the Stabilizer is standing by. Nothing seems to have changed in this area, though.

Back in the S.H.I.V.A. Access Area, the entrance to the large sphere holding the S.H.I.V.A. console is now shut. This is one of the effects of activating the S.H.I.V.A. evacuation protocol at the Edge. By the way, it's starting to get annoying to type S.H.I.V.A.

However, if we go into the broken pipe and down to the three-way switch, we can make some progress.

Using the Insulator Cap here permanently disables the laser grid that prevented us from leaving this room. That means we can put the switch in another position and see what places open up. Let's go right first.

This is where the grid was that used to prevent us from reaching the S.H.I.V.A. console from the back.

The console is now completely dead, but the evacuation protocol made a ladder appear. When I first played this game I thought we had actually killed S.H.I.V.A. somehow, but now I think that's unlikely. We probably just shut off this main access point. I am not really sure though.

We climb down along this big chain.

Down here we find the final Cog Wheel.

It turns out there's a dead-end screen to the left of the large chain. I apparently missed that one when recording, so here's a picture I found online.

With the Cog Wheel in hand, we climb back up, and turn the switch so we can enter the left sphere.

Where we find a fully activated Karma Portal. We'll explore the new area behind it next time.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's always a bit difficult to find things to talk about in these tunnel areas.

For what its worth, I don't mind if you don't have much to say about an area. Its still enjoyable to look at the puzzles and art.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man I forgot the true extent of backtracking and item puzzles that this game has. I must've been in a complete haze during the 2-3 hours I spent completing this one the first time.

It's still a super good conclusion to the series though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 32

Welcome back! What better way to spend my quiet easter weekend than by writing an extra update?

We found a new Karma Portal in the S.H.I.V.A. access area.

Recognize this place? Yep, that's the communication dish we used to call the capsule to Liz's ship. We are in the Winter Palace.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 7 Redux

Entering the palace proper through the door, we can go back out through the broken wall to the right, but it still leads to a dead end with floating blocks.

Going left, let's explore the back rooms again. The place mostly looks like the way we left it, but it seems Sub-Bots have invaded here, too.

The top room has one of those closed Karma Portals (the small dot that lights up when your mouse comes near), but more importantly, someone left a Telescope Tube for us.

The communication device that was the focus of a rather involved puzzle has now been blown up. There's something in one of the holes, though.

Let's take the Grape, it'll probably have some use later.

In this back room we take the Skull, because walking around with a human skull is a perfectly normal thing to do.

The view from the telescope and the Layers sign are unchanged.

Further on, weird cables have appeared in the back. There's nothing new about the sign, so let's see if there's anything on the second floor.

quote:

- I'll come back to the shrine every 32 years. I promise, anyone who still listens to this frequency.
There's the magic number 32 again. Anyway, 32 years? That's a long time. Guess it makes sense if you can time travel, though.

RTL
Further to the left, the passage to the other side of the Winter Palace is completely gone, and replaced by those cables.

Behind the final back door... well, that certainly wasn't there before.

My inventory is getting full again, so I put some stuff in the Backpack. Next, we can grab the Telescope Head and open that hatch.

In here, we find a Portal Stabiliser. This little lid would have been closed, had we not brought back the Data Tape to the Stabiliser Bay's S.H.I.V.A. module.

With the Telescope Head and Telescope Tube in hand, we can assemble a telescope in the next room. The view isn't anything to write home about, but when we step back...

A Secret falls out and rolls to our feet. That's the second Secret we found. Out of ten. Did I tell you this is a big game? That's not completely fair though, we won't be able to get most Secrets before we enter the last 25% or so of this game.

I like to dedicate the leftmost column of my Backpack to Secrets, for now.

Anyway, we're done in the Winter Palace, so we take the Karma Portal back to the S.H.I.V.A. Access Area, and from there we take the Binary Portal.

Back to the Iron Pyramid, where we can finally finish the second Cog Wheel puzzle.

RTL
Turning the wheel makes the ladder next door move down. Except... this ladder is not long enough. We can no longer reach the lower floors from here.

This is where you need to remember the teleporting Anubis heads we found way back. We can reach the one on the far right.

And it takes us to the lower floor on the left, where the descended ladder lets us climb down to a new room.

That Portal Charge looks important, let's take it.

We can activate this machine nearby with the Karma Vial we found at the Edge. In the circle, objects start flashing rapidly, too fast to make out what they are.

However, if you activate one of the buttons (7 buttons, 7 layers? Maybe.) and then hover your mouse over the circle, it will stop at a certain object. That piece of rock is what's behind button number one.

A metal sheet, and a differently shaped rock.

That looks like some sort of icky grub, and a brick.

And finally, an ornament and another stone.

There's only one we can actually take, it's the third object, which is a second Stone Grape.

To use the Stone Grapes, we need to portal back to the Stabilizer Bay.

Do you have any idea what this might activate? Hint: It's in the Karma Studies Facility.

Before we complete the Stone Grape puzzle, there's one other order of business here in the Karma Studies Facility. We need to bring the Winter Palace Skull to the study with all the skulls, and put it behind the magnifying glass.

That way we can find the Explorer's Chip that was attached to it.

The Stone Grape statue activated this similar statue to the far right of the Karma Studies Facility. It holds a second Portal Stabiliser.

Gah, can we be done with the backtracking already? The next stop is the Meditation Temple at Binary Portal coordinates III. We found a Light Sphere device here when we first visited the place, but haven't been able to use it yet. Well, we got a spare Light Sphere now, so let's go.

There's only a single room hidden here, but it does hold the Meditation Glyph.

And this is actually all we need to activate the Karma Portal of this area. The Meditation Temple is rather small, the Karma Portal was right next to the Binary Portal.

Any guesses where we're going next?

RTL
It's the Temple from Submachine 9. The Karma Portal is in front of the left statue's head.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 9 Redux 1

Ah yes, I remember this neat soundtrack.

The place is almost completely covered in resin now. Looks like we won't be visiting Liz' grave again. There's a Secret sitting here in the open, you just have to spot it. It immediately goes into the Backpack.

RTL
To the left, there's a lot of resin and not much else.

The path to Mur's grave is a dead end too.

However, some of the resin has shifted since we last were here, and we can now climb through the hole to those stairs.

RTL
The stairs have collapsed further up, but the hole is accessible. We can explore a new corridor here. Back in Submachine 9 we could access this area from the top, but with the resin it looked quite different:

quote:

RTL
In any case, we find some electric equipment here.

Whatever that device with the power socket is, it's completely dead. But if we use the Coil that's been sitting in our backpack for a while, the thing on the left opens, and we can grab a third Portal Stabiliser.

That's it for the Temple, so let's get out.

Next stop is the Angel Ruins, OOO, where we found the first Binary Portal. Here we could climb down those planks to reach an incomplete Karma Portal device.

With our three Portal Stabilisers and the Portal Charge, we can fix it.

It takes us to... do you recall this place at all? I don't blame you if you don't. It's been a while.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 2 Redux

We are all the way back in the Lighthouse Dungeon, from Submachine 2. It's been quite a journey since then, hasn't it?

Going right, we find that this place has been hit by the resin curse as well. Let's see if there's anything we can find on the bottom level first.

Because of the resin, down here we can only go left.

We had to put a Wisdom Gem into this device way back when. Now, it holds a Light Sphere that we can take for ourselves.

A bit further right on the second floor, we run into this device. Back in Submachine 2, it had a hint written on it, but had no other purpose. This time, we can try pulling the breaker, but it just jumps back in the position it was in. That's two directions covered, finally let's climb the stairs up to the third floor.

The old sewer entrance and the hatch to the Lighthouse proper are unfortunately covered in resin. We can only try to go right here.

With the Light Sphere, this is no longer a dead end.

We end up in a part of the Lighthouse Dungeon we've not seen before. Looks like we're under some large stairs.

To the right we find some kind of device that won't do anything yet.

The way further down is blocked by a barrier.

But to the left we discover why we needed those four rune Pictures. Clicking on each square changes the symbol. It's not too hard if you got all four Pictures, because each correct symbol appears on only one of the squares.

It's important to have all four Pictures, because to get the prize we need to leave the Lighthouse Dungeon, move through the Angel Ruins to the Portal, go to the Meditation Temple, and climb down to a specific corner of the place.

RTL
Which is recognizable by the fact that it has the same type of antenna as the device in the Lighthouse Dungeon. Good luck remembering that, though.

Our prize is, once again, a very rare and important item, the Fork.

We run all the way back to the blocked part of the Lighthouse Dungeon, where we use the Fork to bridge an electrical connection.

Now we can pull the breaker over on the other site, to open the barrier and make the ladder drop down.

RTL
I'm sure you remember this place. If not, let this video stir your memories. It's also a good way to recall how we ended up here in the first place. Anyway, there's two things to check out here. First, the note someone left next to the phonograph.

quote:

Dear Elizabeth!

I'm so close! You won't believe how much progress I've done in last... How long was it?... 3.5 years? My lord, it feels good to be focused again.

I know this sounds stupid, but as a time traveller I have to say it feels good to see time run by you.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. My theory of focused karma was correct! I have scientific evidence at my laboratory. Once it doesn't penetrate any two given layers creating a portal - it actually restores previously destroyed sub-molecular order.

Now, all I need is some kind of... portable karma stabiliser, and I'm good to go!

Just imagine - stable and secure karmic portals. Would you believe that?

M.
Can it be true? Can the world be fixed, and can Murtaugh truly redeem himself? Maybe so, those Karma Portals that were powered by those circular devices looked surprisingly stable.

Oh, and the reason the Submachine arcade game is broken? There's a Karma Portal here now!

You can probably guess where it'll take us... but that will have to wait for next time.

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016
Two updates in one weekend! It's like christmas, but except it's easter.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MercurialOne posted:

Two updates in one weekend! It's like christmas, but except it's easter.

https://twitter.com/MateuszSkutnik/status/853522373101977601

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think one of the most unsettling things about Sub10 is revisiting areas you were in just recently. Like, I'd expect the Sub2 lighthouse digouts to be fairly changed by now but we just left the Sub9 tombs not too long ago. And yet everything is filling with resin at approximately the same rate. Or take the Sub7 Winter Palace. Why are so many things suddenly broken? Is someone following us, destroying the machines we used to progress?

Of course, who knows if time even flows linearly in the submachine. Or if it flows at all.

The other question, and I can't remember if it's addressed or not, is what's the deal with the resin? Where did it come from and why is it filling up all these previous locations? I always thought it was sand and represented the supposed burying of the lighthouse that we learned about way back in Sub2. Like, maybe it all just broke in through the boarded windows. But that doesn't explain how it got to all the other areas of the machine.

Though now that I'm actually typing...what if the lighthouse is the location of the submachine itself, so as it fills with sand, so do all the other areas? I've beaten the game but I've never started piecing together elements before so these are genuine questions I don't know or remember the answers to.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have no answers to your questions.

The wiki folks pieced together from cryptic posts by Mateusz that resin hardens over a period of centuries, and apparently it has been theorized that it appears in areas that have seen a lot of karmic activity, but nothing has been proven.

I would like to remind you that after I'm done with Submachine 10, I will contact Mateusz again with all interview questions you folks send in. I doubt you'd get any meaningful answers regarding the deeper nature of the Submachine, but it can't hurt to ask. If you phrase your questions so I can ask them without needing the context of the discussion in this thread, I will pass them on to him.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2017

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Now that old puzzles from previous Submachine games are being re-purposed, I'm ready to ask: For how long was it planned to have the final Submachine game reprise the series's iconic locations? How many of these puzzles were designed for Sub10 and how many were extra ideas that couldn't be fit into the previous games?

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
So this is something I've been wondering about for awhile and only now bothered to dig through all the posts to find the notes relating to it. In submachine 1, there's this note:

Mur posted:

last summer I went camping under the big waterfall of Kent. I guess this was a great trip for me, however some people do not understand why. Well, I did lose my left arm, but what the hell, I found out that I had a third arm. The invisible one. Since then I started to learn how to use my karma arm, and soon my skills were those of a master. It wasn't a surprise to me when people started turning their backs on me, since I was considered to be a freak and mentally ill. Funny thing, I can't tell them the truth, it would be like explaining the possibility of space travel to a goldfish. So I'm just trying to
Followed up by this note in Submachine 2:

Mur posted:

live my life peacefully not disturbing anyone. The job of a Lighthouse keeper seemed to be just right for me. And I wanted to spend the rest of my life in that lighthouse. But after five months my isolation came to an end when they decided to bury the building. My worst fear ever was to be buried alive. But what about to be buried alive inside of a building? I didn't want to take any chances. So I'm leaving today.
So if I understand the chain of events correctly, Mur is living in the 'real world', loses his arm, gets his karma arm (granted by SHIVA, I think was mentioned?), moves into a lighthouse, the lighthouse gets buried, and now he may or may not be in the submachine, and then he creates a portal to escape from it, and is then definitely in the submachine. However, later in on another one of the games, there's this note:

Liz posted:

It's no wonder they wanted to bury this whole lighthouse with him still inside.

The collapse death toll was growing exponentionally.

L
And as CO2 infers for the context of this and I agree (I believe this note showed up around when we were first learning about karma portals so it would fit)

Carbon dioxide posted:

Mur was buried alive in the Lighthouse on purpose, as a punishment for all the deaths he caused with his Karma Portals destroying the structure of the Submachine?
But you can clearly see a contradiction here. If Mur was buried for his crimes in the submachine, yet being buried was how he got into the submachine, how can that be? We've seen some time shenanigans recently now, so it could just be some kind of time loop. But that makes me wonder, because while time is clearly somewhat malleable inside the submachine, it seems strange that it could also affect events that occured "outside" the submachine. Another odd thing is that, if i'm remembering right, SHIVA gave Mur his karma arm despite him obtaining it while he was in the 'real world'. I suppose its not out of the question that SHIVA could affect things outside of the submachine though. Also, it could be possible that the event Liz is referring to in that note was something Mur did in the real world, and then the timeline would make more sense. Finally, it could also be (though I dont really think this is true) that Mur had been in the submachine for some time before he found the lighthouse inside it and then got buried. That would also fix the timeline, and you could even say he was inside the submachine before he even got his karma arm, though to be honest this line of thinking doesnt seem to mesh well with what he writes in his first few notes in my opinion.

If this isn't explained by the game or any posts by the creator then I can edit this so you can send it with the other questions from the thread.

Zakrelo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 17, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Meanwhie, i am very, very worried about us having explorer's chip in our head, too.

What it does? Why it does that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it's nice to see someone trying to fix the universe. Better than the alternative, at least.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is the reason I kept a report of all the notes in the 2nd post, you know.

By the way, I think what I'll do is, after the LP itself is over, give you folks a week or so to send in any questions for Mateusz, before I contact him. You never know if the final parts answer some questions you might have.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I asked a ton of questions before, but here's another one: what are some things that most people don't know about your game series or haven't noticed yet? Any plot details or design decisions would be cool to know.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I realize this is a stupid question, but I'm still trying to figure out how you bury a lighthouse while leaving it structurally intact. The Kent Lighthouse was a regular lighthouse, wasn't it? Or is that an assumption too far?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Antivehicular posted:

I realize this is a stupid question, but I'm still trying to figure out how you bury a lighthouse while leaving it structurally intact. The Kent Lighthouse was a regular lighthouse, wasn't it? Or is that an assumption too far?

That one's easy: Karmic Dirt!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 33

It feels to me like we're finally making progress again - solving more puzzles than we're finding, and getting access to new areas.

Last time, we found this Karma Portal in the Lighthouse Dungeon, where the old Submachine 1 arcade machine was. Let's jump through.

Recognize it? Yeah, the ending of Submachine 1 was us seemingly escaping into nature. Here we see the same scene, except it turns out to be just a painting.

This is the first time we can properly explore this area, and they decided to reuse the Submachine Zero soundtrack here.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 0 Redux

Further to the left, we find that someone put up a lamp that looks like it's supposed to imitate sunlight, to add to the escape illusion. And then we hit a dead end, with another dead Karma Portal.

RTL
To the left of the start, more paintings.

RTL
Well, that building looks familiar.

quote:

- You can't fix everything, just let it go. Submachine doesn't need your help. It's fine as it is.
- You know you're taking away my life's goal, right?
- We'll find you a new one, don't worry. You were part of this organism, I admit, a crucial one, but just a part nonetheless. You can't think of yourself any bit higher. That would be arrogant, and't that's not you anymore.
- What would I do without you, my dear...
A note next to the device. Sounds to me like Liz is trying to convince Murtaugh to stop fixing a broken world.

RTL
Next up, we find an entrance of some kind, and then discover that this area loops around. Not like the Loop, but an actual, sensible, circle. Still, we can't cross the gap to get back quickly.

The entrance turns out to be the back entrance to the elevator we used to escape from the Basement a very long time ago. As soon as we press any button, it takes us down.

It stops in a place that looks a bit familiar, although I don't remember the Basement being this... red. And the elevator door just faded away in front of our eyes. This might be a problem.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - submachine 1 Redux 1

You have heard this exact track before. I used it as the music for my initial Submachine 1 update, because it was the closest I had to the missing soundtrack of that game. But this is where it is actually used.

This place is called the Infernal Basement. I hope to escape as fast as possible, because that sounds scary.

We grab the Unlock Lever, then climb down. Even the strange wall devices are red here.

Down at the bottom we find this switch, which we'll immediately flip because why not.

To the right there's this... museum stand? I don't know. But there's a Stone Weight on the ground.

Going back, one floor up, we find this room to the right. There's a Karma Portal behind the glass, and we can use our Unlock Lever on one of the holders to unlock it. I think we found ourselves a potential escape route.

From the room to the right of the entrance room, there was also a ladder going up. It takes us to this place. One of the lights is already green, because we pulled that switch downstairs.

And just to the left of here is the second switch. We pull it to reveal another Unlock Lever in the right room. Nice!

RTL
Next, we go to the one direction we haven't explored yet: to the left of the entrance room. We can turn this disc on the wall.

We do so, turning the disc in the top room with it, until it's in the slot. This turns the light green here.

And reveals a third Unlock Lever in the downstairs room we passed earlier. While we're there, we can unlock two more holders.

The final room of this area is to the left of the entrance and then down. When we use the Stone Weight on the scale, the last Unlock Lever pops out.

That went easier than expected. But it's nice to go back to some simple contained puzzles after all that running around. Portal time!

We made it all the way back, we're in the actual Basement now. I suppose this proves beyond a doubt that it's a real place, not just a dream or arcade game.

The music here is another redux of the Submachine 1 theme.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - submachine 1 Redux 2

To the left we collect the four Fuses. I'm glad they stayed where we left them, because while this place mostly looks the same as in Submachine 1, there's moss (or fungus?) growths and cobwebs everywhere. I wonder how much time has passed here since then.

Back to the right, the ladder going down is just a dead end.

I have to say I kinda like this version of the Basement. We just solved the puzzles in another Basement, and we spend quite some effort to reach that place at all. Now the game rewards us with this area. There's some stuff to pick up, but there's no actual puzzles left here. We solved all of those in Submachine 1. We're just here to enjoy the sights and reminiscence.

RTL
Only one way to go: up from the Fuse room. Hey, didn't there use to be a drawing of the Lighthouse on the wall there?

Three new directions to go from here.

Going down first, the switch doesn't do anything anymore. As I said, no puzzles here.

In this part of an old puzzle, we grab the four Stone Cubes. Remember how the bells made them float? We can still ring the bells but the Stone Cubes are needed elsewhere.

Finally, another dead end with the broken remainder of an old puzzle on the other side.

Going left from the four-way room, we can still change the positions of these pistons, but they don't serve a purpose anymore.

Apparently a Sub-Bot has made it even here.

Going up from the central room, we find the place where we made the escape elevator appear the first time. This time, there's a Karma Portal here on the circle. We'll first explore the rest of the Basement before taking it, though.

To the left, we can now take this Valve.

And the two Pearls from the clock, as well.

Up here, there's just another Sub-Bot. That plate on the wall with the loose wires used to be a switch. Do you think the Sub-Bot pulled it straight off for some reason?

Going right from the Karma Portal, we first grab the Spoon, which ended up on the floor.

In the room up top that used to hold a Wisdom Gem, we now find a Light Sphere. Appropriate.

Before we leave, I'm going to run back to this room in the Infernal Basement real quick. That'll save us from some backtracking later.

The Spoon, that piece of silverware that has been so useful to us, gets a place of honour on the altar. This reveals a Secret, which we immediately throw into our Backpack. That makes four out of ten.

And now, we can get out.

The Karma Portal takes us back to the Angel Ruins (Binary Portal OOO), behind a door that has been locked the entire game. See the large machine? I'm sure it was placed here intentionally. It's a hint that we can now start on the puzzle with those similar-looking machines that we saw all over the place.

But with all the stuff we found in the Basement, we can also do a few other things. While we're in the Angel Ruins, we can quickly take the Karma Portal back to the Lighthouse Dungeon, where we found this device.

Using one of the Pearls from the clock, we reveal the fifth Secret.

Next stop, the Royal Storage Facilities at IOO. To be exact, Storage unit 33/3, on the right side.

We found the first of these machines here a long time ago. A Fuse activates it.

Over in the Karma Studies Facility, behind the far right door, we saw another of these things.

Pearl --> Secret.

And in another corner of the Karma Studies Facility, we activate the second machine with another Fuse.

The third device was in the Tunnels at the Edge.

And if you're playing this game, I hope you remember the last one is somewhere in the Meditation Temple (III).

Back in the Angel Ruins, next to the Portal from the Basement, the machine has now opened up to reveal the Empty Karma Stabiliser. It doesn't do anything in its current state, so let's go and fix that real quick.

We portal to the Resin Mine and from there to the Lab's Rooftop, and make our way to this room.

We couldn't pass through here earlier because it's apparently exploration teams only, and the scanner didn't recognize us as an explorer. Well, now that we've scraped the Explorer's Chip off some poor person's skull, we can put it on the ash tray in front of the scanner to trick it.

Like this.

The screen here asks for a Karma Stabiliser, which we conveniently just got.

We put it in, fill 'er up.

And we grab the now active Karma Stabiliser.

As we get back to this screen, it starts glowing, as if it's reacting to something.

We can use the Karma Stabiliser on the floating roof tiles... and they glow for a moment and put themselves together again. Looks like Murtaugh's experiment to restore architecture broken by Karma Portals was a success!

This is quite enough for this episode, but next time we'll see just how powerful the Karma Stabiliser is.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is as good enough an update for me to give you a question to ask Mateusz:

How far in advance did you plan the games? I imagine at some point there must have been some serious planning done considering items from Sub1 become useful in Sub10.

-----

This isn't a question for him. I'm just musing now. I wonder if the Light Spheres somehow transformed from the Wisdow Gems? We've seen two of them in locations we left or discovered wisdom gems in the past: one in the lighthouse digouts and one in the basement. They must be connected somehow unless someone is moving around behind the scenes, grabbing the gems and leaving us the spheres.

I forgot about the Infernal Basement. It's pretty unsettling in that color scheme. Revisiting the Basement is a really cool part of this game since all of the puzzles are broken and all the pieces can be picked up again. It's definitely been a long time since we were here last.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, here's an overview of the questions to Mateusz that have been posted so far.

There were quite a few posts in between where I wasn't sure it was just people discussing current events, or if it was a question intended for Mateusz, so if I made any mistakes in this list, please let me know.

And as I said before, after I finish this game I'll wait a week or so before actually sending the questions to Mateusz, so you can send in any more questions or correct questions in this list until then.

Glazius posted:

Hmm. Well, if it's a question, I have to ask; what's the most interesting urbex-related thing you've found that you couldn't fit into Submachine?

GeneX posted:

Here's a question: Why use hindu and buddhist theming? Karma portals, Shiva...is it just for flavor?

Oh, also: if you could redo any section of any game in the series, which would it be and why?

Shoeless posted:

While I doubt this will get a straight answer, I may as well ask: What is the exact chain of events and circumstances behind the Submachine(s), how did everything happen, why did they happen, what are the Submachine(s), and what was actually going on throughout the games? For a more likely to get a response question... If you could go back and change one thing about each Submachine game, what would it be (if there are any)? Did your vision on what was going on and what you planned to have happen change over the course of creating the games?

EagerSleeper posted:

A couple questions I'd like to ask Mateusz:

Is there a conventional Earth like the one that we know, or has humanity in the Submachine series been living adrift in these strange, floating worlds of the submachines forever?

Did you ever sketch official character art for some of the characters like Mur and Elizabeth?

Did the submachines exist before humans? If so, then were the submachines ever meant for a different non-human civilization?

ArchWizard posted:

Now that old puzzles from previous Submachine games are being re-purposed, I'm ready to ask: For how long was it planned to have the final Submachine game reprise the series's iconic locations? How many of these puzzles were designed for Sub10 and how many were extra ideas that couldn't be fit into the previous games?

EagerSleeper posted:

I asked a ton of questions before, but here's another one: what are some things that most people don't know about your game series or haven't noticed yet? Any plot details or design decisions would be cool to know.

Antivehicular posted:

FPzero posted:

This is as good enough an update for me to give you a question to ask Mateusz:

How far in advance did you plan the games? I imagine at some point there must have been some serious planning done considering items from Sub1 become useful in Sub10.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Question for Mateusz: Why is Murtaugh so mean? Living people to die doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

Also, who are the people who worshipped Murtaugh and placed him in a sarcophagus? Is Liz pissed about being buried next to him?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 23, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So it looks like when we beat the first game, we blacked out for a bit, and were unknowingly sucked into a karma portal to the infernal basement. We woke up in front of the fake scenery screens, and were sucked backwards though the next karma portal into the lighthouse, with the intro to the second game being a bit weird because we were going through a karma portal.

So how did we move from the exit to the fake scenery screens? Did a Sub-bot move us, or did we wind up going through a different karma portal to get to the screens instead of the infernal basement?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

EagerSleeper posted:

Question: Why is Murtaugh so mean? Living people to die doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

Also, who are the people who worshipped Murtaugh and placed him in a sarcophagus? Is Liz pissed about being buried next to him?

I might be wrong about this, but I think what's going on is that the viewpoint character is traveling through time as well as space, so the locations we're visiting and the stories we can piece together are happening over a fairly large amount of time. Here's what I think the timeline with Murtaugh is:

1) Murtaugh goes camping near a waterfall and undergoes some kind of weird event (contact with the Submachine?) that causes him to lose an arm and become aware of a "karma arm" that lets him open portals. He immediately starts screwing around with this and opening portals around and through the Submachine, starting to damage the structure of reality. He moves into the Kent Lighthouse and presumably starts building the lighthouse digouts Submachine connection
2) At some point, Murtaugh slips into the eighth layer of reality, where he can't meaningfully perceive other human beings -- this is where he becomes full rear end in a top hat Murtaugh. Elizabeth is, for some reason, the exception to this; he can perceive her normally, so she remains fully human in his eyes.
3) The karma portals get destructive enough that people notice and blame Murtaugh and attempt to kill/punish him by burying the lighthouse. Mur escapes (which is, uh, not a surprise from a guy who can make portals) and goes on the run, getting involved with/possibly founding(?) the Lab in the process to help his exploration. Since he's still trapped on the eighth layer of reality, he's happy to use explorers as disposable tools to gain knowledge.
4) The protagonist shows up, alerts Mur to their existence via pinging the lab, and is rescued from the Loop by Mur to be recruited. Protagonist does Mur's bidding and is left to die, and Mur heads to the Core to seek revenge on those who tried to bury him alive (possibly Liz?).
5) Whatever happens at the Core, Liz or another power finally gets Murtaugh unstuck from the eighth layer, which returns him to perspective and makes him stop being an rear end in a top hat. Ashamed and repentant, he works with Liz to try and repair reality. Presumably they gain acolytes through this process and may also start time-traveling themselves?
6) Decades pass as Liz and Mur work on this, apparently successfully, and presumably their friendship recovers in the process. When they die (of old age?), they're entombed by their acolytes in the Temple.

The protagonist is jumping all around this timeline, and it's possible that Mur and Liz are navigating it too, so who knows at this point. The salient point: Mur's karma powers screwed up his brain, our limited direct interactions with him were during this brain-hosed rear end in a top hat period, but we've seen plenty of evidence that this will eventually get straightened out.

No word on where Einstein got to, though.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Since the elevator into the infernal basement disappeared, what does it look like from the other side? (into the lighthouse and through the arcade machine to that rocky area)

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Antivehicular posted:

I might be wrong about this, but I think what's going on is that the viewpoint character is traveling through time as well as space, so the locations we're visiting and the stories we can piece together are happening over a fairly large amount of time. Here's what I think the timeline with Murtaugh is:

1) Murtaugh goes camping near a waterfall and undergoes some kind of weird event (contact with the Submachine?) that causes him to lose an arm and become aware of a "karma arm" that lets him open portals. He immediately starts screwing around with this and opening portals around and through the Submachine, starting to damage the structure of reality. He moves into the Kent Lighthouse and presumably starts building the lighthouse digouts Submachine connection
2) At some point, Murtaugh slips into the eighth layer of reality, where he can't meaningfully perceive other human beings -- this is where he becomes full rear end in a top hat Murtaugh. Elizabeth is, for some reason, the exception to this; he can perceive her normally, so she remains fully human in his eyes.
3) The karma portals get destructive enough that people notice and blame Murtaugh and attempt to kill/punish him by burying the lighthouse. Mur escapes (which is, uh, not a surprise from a guy who can make portals) and goes on the run, getting involved with/possibly founding(?) the Lab in the process to help his exploration. Since he's still trapped on the eighth layer of reality, he's happy to use explorers as disposable tools to gain knowledge.
4) The protagonist shows up, alerts Mur to their existence via pinging the lab, and is rescued from the Loop by Mur to be recruited. Protagonist does Mur's bidding and is left to die, and Mur heads to the Core to seek revenge on those who tried to bury him alive (possibly Liz?).
5) Whatever happens at the Core, Liz or another power finally gets Murtaugh unstuck from the eighth layer, which returns him to perspective and makes him stop being an rear end in a top hat. Ashamed and repentant, he works with Liz to try and repair reality. Presumably they gain acolytes through this process and may also start time-traveling themselves?
6) Decades pass as Liz and Mur work on this, apparently successfully, and presumably their friendship recovers in the process. When they die (of old age?), they're entombed by their acolytes in the Temple.

The protagonist is jumping all around this timeline, and it's possible that Mur and Liz are navigating it too, so who knows at this point. The salient point: Mur's karma powers screwed up his brain, our limited direct interactions with him were during this brain-hosed rear end in a top hat period, but we've seen plenty of evidence that this will eventually get straightened out.

I think there might be some self-fulfilling prophecy type time travel happening as well; as Carbon Dioxide noted the lighthouse burial doesn't seem to make sense timeline-wise, since it apparently happens in revenge for Murtaugh loving up the timeline but it happens before he really gets started with his large-scale experiments. It's possible someone else, probably SHIVA, is messing with the timeline for some purpose that hasn't been explained yet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

So how did we move from the exit to the fake scenery screens? Did a Sub-bot move us, or did we wind up going through a different karma portal to get to the screens instead of the infernal basement?

Is it possible Murtaugh dragged us through? Either because he was still good at that point, or because - if the time jumping theory from Antivehicular is right, because he recognized us because we helped him earlier in HIS personal timeline (but later in ours).

There is another problem, though. When we arrived in the Lighthouse the first time, the Karma Portal was nowhere to be seen. Moreover, the arcade machine was intact, even though the Karma Portal broke it in Submachine 10. The Lighthouse certainly feels older now, so assuming it was repaired before Submachine 2 causes other inconsistencies. We could answer this on a meta-level that Submachine 2 wasn't quite planned for this one plot point, but that doesn't feel very satisfactory. So how DID we get from the Basement to the Lighthouse?

Zakrelo posted:

Since the elevator into the infernal basement disappeared, what does it look like from the other side? (into the lighthouse and through the arcade machine to that rocky area)

Don't worry, I'll take a look in one of the upcoming updates.

EagerSleeper posted:

Question: Why is Murtaugh so mean? Living people to die doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

Okay, so I have no idea if these were meant as questions for the thread or for Mateusz. So a request for everyone:

:siren: From now on, please write Question for Mateusz in front of any question you want me to forward to him. :siren:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 23, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Antivehicular posted:

kvx687 posted:

I think there might be some self-fulfilling prophecy type time travel happening as well; as Carbon Dioxide noted the lighthouse burial doesn't seem to make sense timeline-wise, since it apparently happens in revenge for Murtaugh loving up the timeline but it happens before he really gets started with his large-scale experiments. It's possible someone else, probably SHIVA, is messing with the timeline for some purpose that hasn't been explained yet.

Thank you for answers! I have a hard time following this game's plot at times, and I'm glad to have a better understanding of what's happening in this very interesting game. That's why I'm also hoping that Shoeless' questions will also get answered, so that way the plot can be answered.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Okay, so I have no idea if these were meant as questions for the thread or for Mateusz. So a request for everyone:

Yeah, it was a question to Mateusz, and I have edited the post now.

Question for Mateusz: What is up with Einstein the cat? Also what do you think the scariest detail you have put in your game is? For me, it is the part about how submachine can loop itself 'vertically'.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

:siren: From now on, please write Question for Mateusz in front of any question you want me to forward to him. :siren:

In that case, then

Question for Mateusz
How did we get from the Basement to the Lighthouse? Was there a direct path, or were we moved by something?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out in the post two below this one.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My assumption is that we got sucked through the Karma portal there and don't remember it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

My assumption is that we got sucked through the Karma portal there and don't remember it.

That's what I meant by the direct path. But in that case, then there must have been a different karma portal at the time, because we went through an elevator to get to the screens, and then wound up in the lighthouse, skipping over the infernal basement. Was there another karma portal, or did the elevator lead us directly...

No wait, that's it. We just used a different elevator than the one to get to the infernal basement to get from the regular basement to the screens, then traveled through the karma portal to the lighthouse. The karma portal was always in the game machine, and only broke the machine some time after we left. Problem solved.

Alternately, it is the same elevator, but we got off at a different floor. The rest of the theory is the same.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 24, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hold up a second, I just found something.

This might be exclusive to the HD versions I bought a while back, but when you put all four tiles into the slots in Sub 1, you're teleported to the Infernal Basement for a moment before you step into the elevator.

There are no doors to other areas yet, but this definitely happens as soon as you put in all four tiles. So it's definitely the same elevator. That means that we did get warped through a karma portal to the infernal basement, but we couldn't see it. Just like we couldn't see the one that took us to the lighthouse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the basement still have the original art style? That's a neat touch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

Hold up a second, I just found something.

This might be exclusive to the HD versions I bought a while back, but when you put all four tiles into the slots in Sub 1, you're teleported to the Infernal Basement for a moment before you step into the elevator.

There are no doors to other areas yet, but this definitely happens as soon as you put in all four tiles. So it's definitely the same elevator. That means that we did get warped through a karma portal to the infernal basement, but we couldn't see it. Just like we couldn't see the one that took us to the lighthouse.

Well found. I can confirm this is only in the HD version. And it is probably a wink to Submachine 10, because the HD versions were made when the games were already quite far plot-wise.

I did a little bit of digging and found there's actually several different versions of Submachine 1 out there. The wiki tries to list them all:

(Original logo)
- Original Submachine. The earliest version, with only 9 rooms and puzzles that are simpler than in the version I letsplayed. Already had Mur's first note.

- Submachine Extended Version. For the most part the same to the version I played. It uses an older engine and UI, but it does have the 19 rooms that are also in the final version. The drawing of the Lighthouse on the wall first appeared here.
Submachine extended has several sub-versions, at least one of which has an alternate ending. Once you step out of the elevator, where you would normally see the beach/painting in the distance, there are two doors. One with a blue light, which leads to the normal ending. The one with the red light (Matrix reference?) leads to a teaser screen showing a prototype of Submachine 2. I do not consider this ending canon.

- Submachine 1 Version 5. The version in the new engine which I played. This was released when several other Submachine games were already out. Has the 19 rooms from Extended, but the ending is restored to normal. Another change is that for the puzzle where you need to find a coin with a 4-digit code, it has been changed from a 50 eurocent coin to an ancient coin, to better fit the theme.

- iSubmachine. Apparently an attempt to bring Submachine to the mobile market in the form of an iPhone / iPod app. Differences from the other versions are that of course it's touch controlled, which means the important hint from the mouse cursor changing when you hover over something that can be interacted with is gone. It also expanded a specific single-room puzzle into 4 rooms. The wiki says iSubmachine has been completely removed from the store long ago, and Mateusz has said he's not planning to ever release a mobile version of a Submachine game again.

- Submachine 1 HD. Mostly the same to Version 5, except of course the graphics are HD and, apparently, the final puzzle now transports you to a red room where the elevator is, as FPZero showed.

Oh, and that prototype of Submachine 2? A very incomplete version of it can be played. Notable features are that the rooms are 3D and you can turn around in them, like in a more typical 'Escape the Room' game. There's also a very creepy door with blood coming from under it. If you zoom in on the blood and then zoom back out, a message scrawled in blood starts appearing on the wall next to you. To exit the first room, use the wisdom gem already in your inventory on the stand. I am glad the final series did not go in that direction...

Glazius posted:

Does the basement still have the original art style? That's a neat touch.
In Submachine 10, compared to the original? Well, yes. But it doesn't really stand out to me, I feel that while the locations got more and more detailed, the basic art style has stayed consistent throughout the series.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 34

Welcome back! In case you couldn't tell, I'm getting excited now that the ending of the game - and the series - is nearing.

Last time, we got the Karma Stabiliser with which we can fix structures broken by Karma.

Before we get to play with it, there's a place we need to go.

It's in the Royal Storage Facilities, and I've delayed this as long as possible. But it can wait no more. If you thought the looping geometry of the Storage Units was bad, well get ready to see the most annoying part of this game.

We unlocked a Karma Portal in one of the units a while ago. We never went through it. So let's go.

No. No no no no no. NO.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 10 - Submachine 3 redux

So, we find ourselves back in the Loop. This is a part of the Loop we haven't been to before, called Level X.

If you remember, in Submachine 3, every level of the Loop had a small number of interesting rooms surrounding the central 'portal' room. While it did seem like a scary place where you could get lost, the puzzles and navigation weren't that bad. Especially when we got the Navigator device.

It's different this time. Similar to one of the Storage Units, whenever you walk through a door or climb a ladder, you get transported to a completely random room within Level X. And there are way more rooms than in that Storage Unit. So, what happens is, when you're trying to solve a puzzle, you're looking for a certain room, can't find it, get irritated, start running through the rooms faster... and before you know it you ran right past the room you needed and can't go back. On top of that, this area opens up early in the game and cannot be solved completely until way later. Having to come back here a second time is no fun.

We start the main puzzle by inserting the Valve (which we got from the Basement) into this wall device. By turning it, we can choose which light turns green.

That switch on the device with the horn seems to be locked in its position. And the other room is just empty.

We find this room, with a screen that looks similar to one we've seen in Submachine 3. The blocks light up blue when you hover your mouse over them.

In the very next room, we happen to find what's supposedly the back of that screen.

The puzzle? It's completely different from the Submachine 3 one. We actually need to insert the four Stone Cubes from the Basement to complete the screen.

Revealing the seventh Secret at the back side.

Back to the main puzzle. We find a room with a couple of horns, and symbols of which one is similar to the symbol under the place where we put the Valve.

The next room we find is another valve room - but this one came with a valve included. It's almost identical to the other one, the only difference is the symbol.

Turning the valve makes the corresponding blue point move up or down. Our goal is to align the two blue points with one of the horns.

Like this. During this part of the puzzle you need to move both blue points to the right position. That means you need to keep track of where each one is and how many turns the valves need. Every time you need to turn a valve, you need to step through a whole bunch of random rooms till you find the right one.

My way of doing this is getting one blue point aligned with one of the horns by moving whatever valve I find first, then getting the other valve in the right position too. That still takes a bit of trial and error, because I haven't bothered to figure out whether the points move up or down when a valve is turned clockwise.

In case you hadn't guessed, there's also two rooms with horns, only distinguishable by the orientation of the horns. When the blue points are aligned, one of the horns lights up and you can turn the corresponding switch.

And then you have to do it all over again for the second horn. In this case, after I got the valves in the right positions, I found the switch before I found the room with the two horns, so I just turned it to be done with the whole thing.

Turning each switch turns a light green in this room, and two green lights mean the hatch opens, giving us the Plasma Coil.

And the final part of the puzzle is to escape. We need to run around until we happen upon the Karma Portal room again, so we can jump back through to the Royal Storage Facilities.

Phew, the things I do for this LP. I envy you, readers who don't have to play through this particular maze.

Let's get out of here and see what that Karma Stabiliser does.

First stop, through the S.H.I.V.A. Access Area to the Winter Palace, and in there we go to the dead end to the right of the palace.

With the Karma Stabiliser, we can fix the floating blocks and create a bridge.

quote:

- But how is it possible, that she knew the Submachine was sentient and reasoning? That's like Lumiere brothers talking about retina cinema of the early 21st century.
- Don't forget, that's Elizabeth you're talking about. Right?
- ... Right...
Retina cinema, huh?

Further to the right, we find another Karma Portal.

That takes us to a small, floating island with the same South Garden look. We grab a second Plasma Coil here.

Next up, the Karma Studies Facility. To the far left, where the world is broken, we created a Karma bridge, that led to nothing but a closed/broken Karma Portal.

Well, the Karma Stabiliser doesn't just repair walls, it also reopens or stabilises broken Karma Portals.

The Portal takes us to another tiny single screen area where we find the Tile D. If you guessed we need to find three more, well done.

We also grab the Metal Spring from inside the box.

To the right, there was also a broken area. Let's use our magic again.

And as parts of the structure come flying from wherever they went, Secret number 8 is brought to us as well.

Next on our list, a broken wall in the Angel Ruins.

Which reforms another Karma Portal.

I have no idea what or where this room is, but we're just here to grab Tile C.

We need to go through the Lighthouse Dungeon to get back to the Basement Exit area. Interestingly, if we try to go back to the Infernal Basement it just tells us the elevator is gone. That fading door is gone for good.

It's actually a bit annoying if you forgot something in the Basement and figure this is a good way to get back there. Once you're here it turns out the only way to get back there is through the faster route, through the Karma Portal from the Angel Ruins.

Anyway, we're here to fix the broken Karma Portal that's over the chasm.

Which takes us to a strange electronic room where we find the Tile B. My inventory is getting full so I'll put it in the Backpack.

Back in the Angel Ruins, remember this room we passed through when we first arrived here from the Captain's Ship? There was an unreachable Secret in the hole. We can now fish it out, by combining the Long Stick that's been sitting in our Backpack with the Metal Spring.

We stick it in and...

Gotcha!

Another Secret in the bag. There's just one left now.

Next, we climb up out of the Angel Ruins and take the Karma Portal back to the Captain's Ship. It's been a while since we've been here, but we left a few puzzles unsolved.

Hm, on the right, we still cannot unlock that hatch that prevents us from climbing up. But we can make a red light turn green on the left.

This is where the Triple A Battery goes. Another item that we found a while ago and has been sitting in our backpack forever. It was also quite difficult to find. By the way, if you look carefully, the letters on top say -S-3-C-. Ring a bell?

We climb out of the Captain's Ship, down to the Northern Garden Docks, the area we started this game in. You know, by now I almost forgot that this area was in the game. We haven't had any reason to go back since we found the first Binary Portal.

But there's a shattered wall here and you know what that means.

A Karma Portal that leads us to Tile A.

It's easy to forget, but there was also a broken Karma Portal all the way to the left, in our starting screen.

It leads to a pillar floating in nothingness. We grab the final Secret from it, and move all of them from the Backpack into our inventory.

This seems like a good place to take a break. Next time, we'll get the reward for finding all Secrets, and we will finish the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's no wonder I never found all the secrets in this game. They're all over the place!

• Locked thread