Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endie posted:

Frankly the lack of verisimilitude ruined the whole aesthetic for me.

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
like that bit in lord of the rings where the orc dudes are like "looks like meat's back on the menu, boys" and you wonder what opportunities orcs really have to order from a menu. I picture even a finger buffet as a bit far-fetched.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I do think that if it was the tale of the oyster and the orc and the orc had an O.P. and did that trick with the pebble then that would have worked because orcs are painted as pretty sharp thinkers who are often distracted from observation duties by a love of fine dining. That just hangs together better.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wowzers, I never thought about it

why would the orcs even know the word menu

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
An oyster was in love with the moon. When the full moon shone in the sky, he spent hours watching it with open mouth.
An uruk-hai saw from his observation post that the oyster was completely open at the full moon, and decided to eat him.
The following night, when the oyster opened, the orc put a pebble inside.
The oyster immediately tried to close again, but was prevented by the stone.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

wowzers, I never thought about it

why would the orcs even know the word menu

we're through the looking glass here, people

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like is there an orc restaurant where they sit down and order brackish water to drink with a troll flank steak & a side of hobbit feet?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Winding down to leaving for the day Endie?

Or poop posting?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

like is there an orc restaurant where they sit down and order brackish water to drink with a troll flank steak & a side of hobbit feet?

the sources are silent

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Winding down to leaving for the day Endie?

Or poop posting?

yeah I'm off drinking with malcanis in 20 minutes. Also the whole feeling in this thread is a bit more post-positive

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Endie posted:

This is probably more the pflax neogroon type thread. Not that I know much about his plans and maybe they will be super-angsty elitist pvp or something who knows?

Yeah should be interesting to see what his plans are. I just like ganking pubbies in high sec, so joining GSF seems kinda silly. Miss minilove though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you'd really have to prepare hobbit feet just right if you made them too

like, they walk barefoot everywhere so you know the meat is tough, and like the hair? You'd have to take great pains to get rid of all of it and hobbits have a lot

the more I think about this the more I think that the orc restaurant just doesn't make a lot of sense

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rakeris posted:

Yeah should be interesting to see what his plans are. I just like ganking pubbies in high sec, so joining GSF seems kinda silly. Miss minilove though.

you just put an alt in code and join miniluv ganking shenanigans

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Eonwe posted:

like, they walk barefoot everywhere so you know the meat is tough, and like the hair? You'd have to take great pains to get rid of all of it and hobbits have a lot

the more I think about this the more I think that the orc restaurant just doesn't make a lot of sense

You could just skin the feet and boil em for a broth, kinda like ham hawks.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

yeah that just spoiled the rest of the trilogy for me. Like when they did those underground scenes in isengard or in the bit in mordor i was looking for any sort of orc cafe or perhaps orc street food where there might be some sort of menu available but that whole side of things is left terribly under-developed in what i think is a big mistake by jackson

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i can never watch lotr again

hobbit hocks might not be so bad tho

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

pflax post in the thread to tell us about your corporate vision and also to weigh in on the orc fine dining experience discussion

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

personally I think hobbit feet would be split in to the meaty bit of the foot and then the sole could be like jerky

just have to sear off the hair

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

personally I think hobbit feet would be split in to the meaty bit of the foot and then the sole could be like jerky

just have to sear off the hair

Blowtorch the hair, then stew it for hours. Like ox tail.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Endie is bat going to participate in the 2v2 ibis only frig tourney.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Zasze posted:

Endie is bat going to participate in the 2v2 ibis only frig tourney.

I can neither confirm nor deny that we are testing ibis fits furiously somewhere in a wormhole on duality.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Although I had never heard of this tournament.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Endie if ever I'm down in Edinburgh can I buy you a beer?

You don't have drink it sitting at the same table as me, that'd be nice but optional.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Endie if ever I'm down in Edinburgh can I buy you a beer?

You don't have drink it sitting at the same table as me, that'd be nice but optional.

It would be my pleasure.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Especially if that buy me a beer bit isn't just a turn of phrase.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Endie posted:

It would be my pleasure.

Conversely, if you're ever in Aberdeen give me a shout.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Wait a second it just struck me that that story with the oyster and the crab and the orc had two full moons in successive nights

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe that happens in Middle Earth

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Conversely, if you're ever in Aberdeen give me a shout.

If you're from Aberdeen then the buy me a beer thing was just a figure of speech.

I'm from Aberdeenshire though so I should be around in the next couple of months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nope it doesn't

quote:

Tolkien was very careful in the moon phases described in his works, so that they fit the passing of days realistically. Tolkien was remodelling the phases while reviewing the book in 1944 so that he preserves the consistency. The moon phases described in the Lord of the Rings correspond to the phases of years 1941-2 and its probable that he used a recent calendar for reference[23]. Unfortunately, some minor errors (that can be detected only after thorough measurement and astronomical knowledge) slipped his attention

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that story is bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CCP want me to condense the past 6 weeks or so of EVE happenings into a 3 minute segment on The o7 Show (they gave me 5 minutes before).

With the exception of the RMC collapsing more, and some Lowsec shenanigans, I don't think it will be that difficult.

Plus side, I get to talk about the first Fiend dying :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Endie posted:

like that bit in lord of the rings where the orc dudes are like "looks like meat's back on the menu, boys" and you wonder what opportunities orcs really have to order from a menu. I picture even a finger buffet as a bit far-fetched.

It's like the scene from the Empire Strikes Back where the rebel ships are trying to run the Imperial Blockade and the Imperial captain is like "Good, our first catch of the day" and you're wondering when he has ever fished or why fishing would be a thing in the Empire or why that phrase is being used at all.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

CCP want me to condense the past 6 weeks or so of EVE happenings into a 3 minute segment on The o7 Show (they gave me 5 minutes before).

With the exception of the RMC collapsing more, and some Lowsec shenanigans, I don't think it will be that difficult.

Plus side, I get to talk about the first Fiend dying :toot:

Can you talk about ~the meta~

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Space friends, menu simply means list to chose from, or a collection of offerings for selection. It's etymology is from small / detailed, so orc english can have followed the same routes to become a list of foods to eat.
Like the pile of dead body parts would be there, and someone would roughly list whats in it to eat. BOOM A MENU.

Doesn't literally have to be at a restaurant, go back to watching all 614 hours of LOTR in peace.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

Space friends, menu simply means list to chose from, or a collection of offerings for selection. It's etymology is from small / detailed, so orc english can have followed the same routes to become a list of foods to eat.
Like the pile of dead body parts would be there, and someone would roughly list whats in it to eat. BOOM A MENU.

Doesn't literally have to be at a restaurant, go back to watching all 614 hours of LOTR in peace.

phew, thank you my immersion is now unruined

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I did thing with Goon when Kartttttoon didn't pay our space bills, that was a good time. I joined Goondev and worked for SOLODRAKBANSO and then Lucas Tigh did a warp to me and thought I was a spy because he went mad on Internet Drugs and Solo said if that was the case then they were hosed because I'd worked on the auth backend. Also once Vio called me into a private something on TS because I had logged into TS from a Swedish IP.

This is the fun you can have in EvE: Online a spaceships in space game. I had a lot of fun tbqh. We killed furries in wormholespace. Hratli Smirks is a cool guy.

My wife got in an argument about whether hobbits have oversized feet or not.

That's my eve stories thanks Eonwe for the opportunity.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oodles posted:

Can you talk about ~the meta~

I tend not to, since it ultimately devolves into "this idiot cried about this other idiot on twitter/reddit/slack/a poorly written article" etc. and that's not really what CCP asked for with regards to the videos.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Video Games/FAU, I'm sorry if this breaks the rules about text logs but this is about a noted idiot who has joind and been kicked out a lot of groups for being well, an idiot.

[17:25:12] Lilith5 > JEFFRAIDER why is half your show about Football?
[17:25:31] JEFFRAIDER > Lilith5 why can't u make and keep friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also Video Games/FAU, I'm sorry if this breaks the rules about text logs but this is about a noted idiot who has joind and been kicked out a lot of groups for being well, an idiot.

[17:25:12] Lilith5 > JEFFRAIDER why is half your show about Football?
[17:25:31] JEFFRAIDER > Lilith5 why can't u make and keep friends

I have no idea what any of this says, I apologise.

• Locked thread