Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I'm interested to see where the Martial Arts Mafia Grandma side quest is headed, but yeah, seems like something that should have popped up later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Like, there is definitely a certain percentage that can be blamed on me not being great at the game/trying to talk and not being completely focused, but those fuckers are really fast and hit really hard.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Another Person, maybe you were thinking about Beijing and Nanjing when you were talking about the northern capital and southern capital. http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/BeijingInformation/BeijingsHistory/t1137369.htm

Unrelated, but earlier in the LP you guys were wondering about :

- What type of discs were sold at Beam.
The sign outside says "DVD" so I suppose that's what they sell, rather than blu-ray or what have you.
- The whiskey Date was drinking.
Ballantine's (judging from what I could make out on the label)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Pea posted:

The sign outside says "DVD" so I suppose that's what they sell, rather than blu-ray or what have you.

This game came out way before BD was a thing, and I don't really know how big into the VCD scene Japan was. No idea why I didn't notice the DVD sign, though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New ep! Have a good weekend, everyone!

Episode 31 - Young at Heart

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New ep time!!

Episode 32 - A Solemn Occasion

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Funerals here just seem to be bad places to be in general.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

TBF, when has a funeral been a good place? Funerals suck.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dear Thread,

Stuff has come up and there won't be videos Friday or Monday. I tried to think up something to fill that spot, but I couldn't think of anything actually interesting.

Sorry :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Looks like nothing today either, sorry all.

I promise there will be something next week though! Just probably not on Monday, if I were to hazard a guess. I'll just release one in the middle of the week since it's been so long. I'll get it cut and rendered right after we finish recording.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So AP is unexpectedly out this week, and not wanting to pull back from my Content Promise, I've been trying to think of things that would be relevant and interesting for you guys.

My original thought was a locker key hunting video, but that sounds supremely boring.

I was also thinking either streaming a little Kenka Bancho, which I've never played but I've heard is similar in spirit and style to Yakuza. Or maybe I could stream a couple other games Nagoshi has been involved in (like Daytona USA, Super Monkey Ball, etc.).

Do any of those things sound interesting to anyone?

If I streamed a thing it would probably be on Friday.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Streams are a thing I'm never able to catch so I don't think I'm any help here. Just waiting in the wings for Yakuza really.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I would archive it and post it in here so nobody misses out.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Would miss the stream too but that first thing sounds interesting

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
Also would not be able to see a stream and would like to see some Kenka Bancho.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cool! I'll test it out tomorrow, stream it on Friday, and will archive it ASAP.

Both stream and archive links will be posted here, natch.

I don't want to do it as a non-stream video because I may not have a co-host, and I'm much better on my own streaming. The more casual nature of it is better for me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So apparently I don't have OBS Studio set up right, because it refuses to stream.

Sorry I couldn't get anything out. I am very angry about this.

I'll try to do something Monday.

e: Or maaaaaaaybe over the weekend if I can find some time to myself.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 11, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I did it! Here is some Kenka Bancho. The audio mix isn't the best, so sorry about that.

A Little Bit of Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble

e: Also we're recording this week, so I should have something out on Friday!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bad news. Turns out there is a Yakuza 2 LP Curse.

My PS2 decided to fall off my desk because ??? and no longer powers on. Also my slim will play every game except this one.

So There won't be more updates in here until I can find my backup PS2, get it working, and make sure it's 110% secure.

Sorry about the wait. I'm absolutely livid about this.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well this sucks. Sorry about all the poo poo going on Mike.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It sucks really bad. I think my old one is at my parent's house. As it happens, my parents are coming to visit this weekend, so if I'm very lucky they'll have some idea of where my other one is and can bring it down with them.

Otherwise I'll have to look around for a cheap fat PS2.

e: And it looks like they're not toooo much online like the price of a new game or so, so it's reasonable. Maybe I'll poke around yard sales this weekend or something too. It's not the end of the world, probably.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 16, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's not good at all.

Kenka Bancho seems like it might be pretty funny though, if it doesn't just repeat the same joke over and over.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

My parents said they might know where my old one is, and if that doesn't happen, I have a friend who is willing to give me theirs, so hopefully this won't be a long break.

Kenka Bancho was interesting. I want to get back to it at some point. It seems like it has an interesting charm to it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Maybe your next LP? I would follow it for sure.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I don't know about an LP, but I'll at least stream it or something.

cat doter and I are actually looking at doing a co-op game of some sort for my next one. Either that or Vagrant Story.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Update: It looks like I have a working PS2 and a maybe semi working one also, so I will record as soon as scheduling allows! I'm glad this hiatus wasn't too long, but please don't be surprised of the new PS2 explodes and kills me for daring to defy The Curse of the Yakuza 2 LP.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It took a while to get back into the workflow, but here's the next ep! We have a few more recorded and awaiting editing/rendering, and I think we're going to record more this week. I think we'll be good for a while, if not through to the end!

Episode 33 - We're Back

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Sweet, glad to see you guys back.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
some of the delay was my fault, but the curse is real

#breakthecurse

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pea posted:

Another Person, maybe you were thinking about Beijing and Nanjing when you were talking about the northern capital and southern capital. http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/BeijingInformation/BeijingsHistory/t1137369.htm

Unrelated, but earlier in the LP you guys were wondering about :

- The whiskey Date was drinking.
Ballantine's (judging from what I could make out on the label)

Sorry for the super late response, I haven't really been reading much SA in the past few months! Thanks for the correction though, I'm not really sure how I mixed up Chinese fact and Japanese facts, but I am going to guess it is me mixing up the fact that the places I was thinking of had two similar sounding names. that sounds exactly like something I would do. There might be a different fact I was mixing it up with regarding Tokyo and Kyoto though, I am sure there was some Trivial Pursuit level fact I had about their naming reasons once upon a time as well. I play a lot of mapgames, and with that comes useless trivia about places, history and names.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Brovstin posted:

Sweet, glad to see you guys back.

I'm glad you're glad, bb. <3

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yay, you're back!

I wish all your episodes were 40 minutes, for once I didn't feel like "Is it over already?" when it stopped. 19 ones are just enough to get me into it before it's over.
Probably a bit late to comment on that kind of thing now though, this close to the end.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I didn't think we were that far past the halfway point.

I try to aim for closer to 30 minutes per episode, but it fluctuates. I feel like the average person would skip out on it if they saw a bunch of long eps. Also we record in 2 hour chunks usually, so it functions as a sort of a 1 week buffer at the 20-30 length.

Nice to hear you want to have longer sessions of listening to us, though!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

mikeycp posted:

I didn't think we were that far past the halfway point.

I try to aim for closer to 30 minutes per episode, but it fluctuates. I feel like the average person would skip out on it if they saw a bunch of long eps. Also we record in 2 hour chunks usually, so it functions as a sort of a 1 week buffer at the 20-30 length.

Nice to hear you want to have longer sessions of listening to us, though!

I actually have no idea if you're close to the end or not, probably got that idea all on my own and thought someone else said it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

As of the last recording we're in the middle of chapter 10, and there are 16 chapters, I think.

Also, completely unrelated, this game is on a dual-layer DVD and apparently some PS2s really don't like that. Very strange. The curse tried to make that fact defeat us.

e: Also the next episode is also pretty close to 40 minutes IIRC, just so you know.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 6, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Time for a new ep!

Episode 34 - Be Kind, Rewind

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Time for Monday's ep. Now to get recording so there are more to go after this one...

Episode 35 - Family Matters

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No random encounters at all in that part huh? Normally I'd call that a reprieve but I just didn't spend all my money on knock-off martial arts videos.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

No. It was weird. I think we might've exhausted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

New Ep! Have a good weekend, y'all!

Episode 36 - Love on the Battlefield

• Locked thread