Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'll allow it under the Creative Commons non-commercial license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So my first thought was "Oh No! Live service bullshit."

Then I thought about Astroneer, which has a somewhat similar gameplay, although it's much cozier and safer. (No mobile threats, and otherwise your other threats are falling off things to your death or asphyxiating, both extremely avoidable, especially as your oxygen tethers are cheap and easy to craft)

It appears to be monetizing around cosmetic hats and costumes for your astronaut, and runs regular and holiday events and challenges. It is also very supportive of multiplayer and you can absolutely ignore the cosmetic extras.

A Subnautica with that sort of business model would be pretty great in my mind. Modern game dev is expensive, even so if you're bad at it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

People should get used to paying more than 20 bucks for anything that isn’t a AAA game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Teledahn posted:

So my first thought was "Oh No! Live service bullshit."

Then I thought about Astroneer, which has a somewhat similar gameplay, although it's much cozier and safer. (No mobile threats, and otherwise your other threats are falling off things to your death or asphyxiating, both extremely avoidable, especially as your oxygen tethers are cheap and easy to craft)

It appears to be monetizing around cosmetic hats and costumes for your astronaut, and runs regular and holiday events and challenges. It is also very supportive of multiplayer and you can absolutely ignore the cosmetic extras.

A Subnautica with that sort of business model would be pretty great in my mind. Modern game dev is expensive, even so if you're bad at it.

The microtransactions of Astroneer are the worst part of it, and they're so out of place.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

The microtransactions of Astroneer are the worst part of it, and they're so out of place.

You can just not click the 'dress up my astronaut' button?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Couldn't you just mod in the hats?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's another big worry: when things go online like that or into service models, mods become Bad and they try to stop them, and subnautica was really helped by mods.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

That's another big worry: when things go online like that or into service models, mods become Bad and they try to stop them, and subnautica was really helped by mods.

That had crossed my mind. For me having a craft from proximity mod and a fill in as you explore world map made all the difference in playability, and if you're monetising comestics it certainly does push devs towards this line of thinking

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
fwiw GAS/GaaS is a big new buzzword that gets investors* really excited, but is effectively meaningless. The team can mean something like Fortnite, but it can also mean "any game with DLC". Cyberpunk is classified by some as a gas model even though it's had exactly one (1) paid update.

*investors, it should be noted, that have recently become very very timid around games

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

fwiw GAS/GaaS is a big new buzzword that gets investors* really excited, but is effectively meaningless. The team can mean something like Fortnite, but it can also mean "any game with DLC". Cyberpunk is classified by some as a gas model even though it's had exactly one (1) paid update.

*investors, it should be noted, that have recently become very very timid around games

This is my gut instinct as well. The release was intended as buzz-word bait for uninformed investors who just think GaaS=money, and no-one thought for a second that it might filter through to a better informed audience.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Given the corporate nightmare dystopia that the games are set in, there was something tragically ironic about the initial interpretation of the information though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Awwww... For some reason I had remembered that they added the seatruck to the base game.

I'm not the biggest fan of the actual seatruck but its little docking station rules. Hard to believe they never designed any sort of docking station for the Cyclops.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Absolutely zero apologies for my learned reaction to games described as transitioning to GaaS but I've had some hope restored for Subnautica 2

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Teledahn posted:

You can just not click the 'dress up my astronaut' button?

How very insightful of you. To hell with everyone around you explaining how microtransactions hurt games whether or not they're engaged with.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They work fine in DRG. It even has seasons and a free battle pass! It’s some kind of miracle game.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

They work fine in DRG. It even has seasons and a free battle pass! It’s some kind of miracle game.

Can you name any other games besides DRG that pulled that off successfully? I want to be cautiously optimistic about SN2 but let's not pretend the GaaS bit is not a worrying piece of news.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Absolutely zero apologies for my learned reaction to games described as transitioning to GaaS but I've had some hope restored for Subnautica 2

My reaction in another Discord was pretty comical.

Someone: IGN just announced subnautica 2 will be GaaS
Me: You know, whatever. Below Zero made me realize that the original subnautica was pretty perfect and didn't really need a sequel, I'm fine with Subnautica being a standalone experience and it will always be special to me.

*2 minutes later*

Someone: Oh wait IGN was talking bullshit.
Me: Cool, day one pre-order. I'm a little piggy oink oink oink.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Can you name any other games besides DRG that pulled that off successfully? I want to be cautiously optimistic about SN2 but let's not pretend the GaaS bit is not a worrying piece of news.

SN1 and BZ were both constantly updated and patched for years. Calling it “live service” instead of “open development” or “live development” is just a really bad choice of words.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It's been a few years since I played it but Rocket League seemed to have a good approach where there were piles of cosmetic items available for purchase but everyone had the same gameplay experience if they didn't care about driving a DeLorean. Not sure if Epic has managed to ruin it since but I have no problem with that sort of thing.

Payday 2 did it pretty well also, you had to buy new maps to be able to host games on them but could join someone else's game on any map, everything else was just skins. There were mods to unlock everything but it didn't seem to hurt sales.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If people are stealing jokes from the thread for Reddit, then I'm stealing a Reddit joke for this thread:

"GaaS? What do you mean there will be GaaS? I have gas right here."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

wolrah posted:

It's been a few years since I played it but Rocket League seemed to have a good approach where there were piles of cosmetic items available for purchase but everyone had the same gameplay experience if they didn't care about driving a DeLorean. Not sure if Epic has managed to ruin it since but I have no problem with that sort of thing.

Payday 2 did it pretty well also, you had to buy new maps to be able to host games on them but could join someone else's game on any map, everything else was just skins. There were mods to unlock everything but it didn't seem to hurt sales.

I can confirm that Rocket League is still incredibly fun, and I'm so glad I bought it before it left Steam, because it's fantastic on the deck.

Epic!! :argh:

Just leave your poo poo on Steam, c'mon now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they're going to make a premium product I hope they charge a reasonable rate for it. There are a bunch of games, Subnautica, Dave the Diver, Valheim etc where I consider the amount of entertainment I received versus what I paid for it as basically theft. I want to pay creators who make a unique experience and support their product and give me hundreds of hours of entertainment an appropriate rate.

I've probably paid something like a thousandth of a cent for every hour I've spent on Valheim. Meanwhile there are AAA titles I got like 8 hours from for $70. They deserve more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

If they're going to make a premium product I hope they charge a reasonable rate for it. There are a bunch of games, Subnautica, Dave the Diver, Valheim etc where I consider the amount of entertainment I received versus what I paid for it as basically theft. I want to pay creators who make a unique experience and support their product and give me hundreds of hours of entertainment an appropriate rate.

I've probably paid something like a thousandth of a cent for every hour I've spent on Valheim. Meanwhile there are AAA titles I got like 8 hours from for $70. They deserve more.

Yeah, I feel this. Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be the best example of this all lining up properly. Full price, absolutely full experience.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

some real paypigs up in this thread

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMesCaZjudI

Christ I hope this runs on the Steam deck.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ugh cringe bad interviewer.

“Will there be leviathans?”
“Will there be vehicles?”

Questions 1 and 2. Maybe I’ll try the rest later, but next thing he’ll ask is if there will be water.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Someone tell me if he asks if Marguerite is back. In fact, make her the main character.

Subnautica 2: Reaper Genocide
:black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Someone tell me if he asks if Marguerite is back. In fact, make her the main character.

Subnautica 2: Reaper Genocide
:black101:

He did. No comment. (tbf, he was asking about the return or involvement of any of the previous characters, including Marguerite)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot how many tiny little atmospheric items were exclusive to below zero. It's a real bummer that they don't have the shower in OG. I liked having a little exclusive area with the moon pools to enter and exit the base with a shower nearby. It's dumb but I really enjoyed having a wet area and a shower before entering the dry portion of the base.

The large room by itself being included is a great addition, because storage in the multi-purpose rooms always felt off, but it's still a bummer they couldn't include more.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 10, 2024

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I will be very disappointed if there isn't at least a book of Marguerite's 101 Roasted Reaper Recipes in the game.

I may be slightly more forgiving if you can't replicate all 101 of them in game.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

How very insightful of you. To hell with everyone around you explaining how microtransactions hurt games whether or not they're engaged with.

How do you think games are funded?

Given how many studios are being closed or subject to 10/20/30% layoffs recently, do you propose game studios not look for funding models that will attract investment?

I might wish it was otherwise too but I don't see the issue with Astroneer's cosmetic DLC. Yes they 're expensive for space hats, but you can literally not click the button and the rest of the game is fine.

These are the difference between having a Subnautica game to play three years from now, and having nothing except snarky comments wishing things were otherwise on the internet. Good luck sticking your nose up in the air and refusing to buy a game that doesn't exist. You'll get your wish sooner than later.

If you want to make real change, get used to playing smaller games. Modern development takes too many people and is too expensive to not need large upfront funding that requires investor-friendly returns. Or, heck, start making your own game in your garage. If it's any good I'll buy it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Microtransations are garbage bullshit for assholes no matter what you think about a particular implementation hth

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The microtransaction defender has logged on.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Teledahn posted:

How do you think games are funded?

Given how many studios are being closed or subject to 10/20/30% layoffs recently, do you propose game studios not look for funding models that will attract investment.
Modern development takes too many people and is too expensive to not need large upfront funding that requires investor-friendly returns.

I mean, many of the big layoffs are happening in companies that are wildly profitable.

But the shareholders are wanting more money and faster money, leading to this progressive enshittification and cyclical layoffs.

Like, I don't give a crap about cosmetics hidden behind a menu either, but your whole post of just guzzling straight from the corporate propaganda machine. Straight up serf mentality.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The layoffs are all due to external factors. Publishers and investors made some wild overcommitments, on the assumption that the bump in growth during Covid was going to continue. Layoffs have hit GaaS studios equally, it isn’t a magic bullet that can shield a studio from recession, inflation or idiotic growth projections.

In any case, folks have been making a good argument for raising the price floor for indie games. That solution is just as valid as in-game monetization, depending on the type of game.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, games have been cheap as dirt for a while now, especially if you got a modicum of impulse control and can wait for sales. I don't mind studios raising their prices a bit, especially if it cuts into the microtransactions BS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As much as we complain about the big guys raising game prices, we do have to be honest that even AAA have nowhere near kept up with inflation for the last... ever.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

As much as we complain about the big guys raising game prices, we do have to be honest that even AAA have nowhere near kept up with inflation for the last... ever.

I mean, this is an incredibly good thing and to be welcomed. The fact is that the market has expanded massively for video game, and that once the game has been made there is very little cost to selling additional units. This creates a rare situation where we should expect prices to come down while maintaining solid profits. There's no need to raise prices just because of inflation in other markets.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wouldn’t mind AAA games reducing in scope a bit. We’re kinda getting diminishing returns as open world games grow larger and larger. Like, is it really a selling point that Skull & Bones has a larger world than all the Assassin’s Creed games? I didn’t even see everything in the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm sorry, what's the problem?