Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

In any case, folks have been making a good argument for raising the price floor for indie games.

I think indie developers will have more trouble with pretending the demand side of the equation doesn’t exist than major publishers

MikeJF posted:

As much as we complain about the big guys raising game prices, we do have to be honest that even AAA have nowhere near kept up with inflation for the last... ever.

This isn’t something we have to admit and be honest about like it’s some harsh realization or like companies have been doing people a favor. Prices have been kept low because the market got a lot bigger with more competition for entertainment dollars.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

I wouldn’t mind AAA games reducing in scope a bit. We’re kinda getting diminishing returns as open world games grow larger and larger. Like, is it really a selling point that Skull & Bones has a larger world than all the Assassin’s Creed games? I didn’t even see everything in the first game

Especially when everything is copy pasted quests Jackson Pollocked across the map. There's always something to do because there's a 1000 items to craft with ten upgrade levels each and god knows how many parrot tits my dumbass is gonna need this go around.

This is obviously not subnautica at all I'm derailing like a mah

edit- tiny timbs good point games is bigger than movies these days

Shuka fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 10, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Like, is it really a selling point that Skull & Bones has a larger world than all the Assassin’s Creed games?

Isn't that a sailing game? I'd hope it's a bloody big map. Lots space to sail in?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Big news for underwater game enthusiasts: A new Endless Ocean game is coming to Switch. It ain't sci-fi, and it ain't spooky (beyond the natural terror of the deeps), but there's online multiplayer and it's cool and there's fish. The Endless Oceal series is very chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlowSAO_zLk

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm not sure why you would make it multiplayer, but it looks like something I might like.
Like Beyond Blue, which was basically the scanning part of SN.
Enjoyable, but not much to it.

Here's the Switch link for it.
$50
https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/endless-ocean-luminous-switch/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 22, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Finished my OG replay and on to below zero.

Below Zero is so close to a tremendous game. The base and vehicle design is great. They just needed to incorporate more open water and diversify the biomes a bit more.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like you've forgotten about the above-ground segments already. Update us on when you've done them again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you've forgotten about the above-ground segments already. Update us on when you've done them again.

Lol, my take on them is "meh."

Just boring. I never hated them as much as some people.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
sometimes mtx is fine and yall need to lighten up, not every game with mtx is a gatcha slot machine addiction engine

they can and have been implemented into games just fine though I admit that it's the exception and not the rule

so it's good to again remember that afaik no one said anything about mtx in subnautica

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MTX are bad. They encourage negative behavior from developers - and practically obligate it from publicly traded developers. There's no point in defending it at any level or similar concepts in any industry. With the benefit of hindsight we as a society would have been better off if we had dragged Frank Lorenzo out of whatever office he was hiding in in the '60s and thrown him into the deepest, darkest hole we could find.

There are some bad behaviors from businesses that you might personally be okay with. For example, If I know for a fact that I'm going to buy a game at launch I've got no problem pre-ordering and effectively giving the developer a loan. I personally have no problem with increasing the cost of games. Hell, There are four or five niche developers that could probably just send me an email asking for money and I would probably pay it if I ever saw it. I wouldn't give anybody poo poo for saying any of those behaviors are consumer unfriendly because they are.

Subnautica is an exploration game based on the central theme "Corporations are exploitative and will always make the worst possible decision and you're literally better off swimming with weird tentacle sharks that can swallow you in one bite then putting up with their bullshit." That message hits a bit differently if they're also asking you to pay $1 for cuddlefish armor.

It's wild that the whole thing comes from IGN just completely misinterpreting something from the developers that was, certainly, meant to be promotional. In a way it's probably effective marketing because, I bet you anything, it caught people's attention.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 22, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feels bizarre having to explain how MTX breaks diegesis, in the Subnautica thread of all places

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Subnautica is an exploration game based on the central theme "Corporations are exploitative and will always make the worst possible decision and you're literally better off swimming with weird tentacle sharks that can swallow you in one bite then putting up with their bullshit." That message hits a bit differently if they're also asking you to pay $1 for cuddlefish armor.

it should tell you about the cuddlefish armor after the game's AI tells you that everything you use is property of the corp and you now owe millions

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The above ground parts were fine except that I got lost in the snow plains area with the vents and diggy worm things, because I hated the controls for the hover bike. I fixed my mouse sensitivity on my second play through and it went a lot smoother. Below Zero also had the issue where even the sea truck with a few capsules could just outrun almost every threats so the terror of hearing the underwater roars turned into 'guess I have to double back before I pick up lithium this time'. Also the alien was kind of annoying.

still liked the game though, especially the earlier shallow water parts and the floating islands were neat but there needed to be more that you needed to accomplish around there, I basically visited them twice and never again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

sometimes mtx is fine and yall need to lighten up

lmao no

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

sometimes mtx is fine and yall need to lighten up, not every game with mtx is a gatcha slot machine addiction engine

they can and have been implemented into games just fine though I admit that it's the exception and not the rule

so it's good to again remember that afaik no one said anything about mtx in subnautica

Care to give some examples

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Frantically googling for good examples of microtransactions. The algorithm now serves you libertarian trash all the time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wolfenstein 3D

Tales of Maj Eyal

Some other old games I can’t remember offhand. There’s a blurry line between abusive mtx and extra levels, expansions, character classes, whatever. The business model has always been there, it just turned to poo poo when publishers started experimenting with it in the 00’s

E: honorable mention to games like Monster Hunter World that have tons of poo poo mtx but they are not purchasable or advertised in the game. You have to browse the game’s steam page to even be aware that they exist

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 22, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Admiral Joeslop posted:

warframe

whatever the hell helldivers is doing right now seems fine? (I haven't played it)

stupid loving hats in tf2

Like, honestly y'all. there's no indication that subnautica 2 is gonna have mtx anyway so it's a loving stupid thing to talk about in the subnautica thread

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should put a bunch of fake microtransactions in subnautica 2 with content that they never actually made and and in universe currency that you can't actually get.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Below Zero also had the issue where even the sea truck with a few capsules could just outrun almost every threats so the terror of hearing the underwater roars turned into 'guess I have to double back before I pick up lithium this time'.

Yeah the creature design was extremely hit and miss and it's too easy to get a seatruck upgrade that basically makes you immortal. There's a perfect game out there incorporating elements of both of these titles which makes it a shame below zero wasn't just made as an expansion that added in-game elements to the existing title. I'm very optimistic about Subnautica 2, Hope they focus on variety and cohesiveness of the world and your interaction with it over incremental graphics updates or a super involved plot line.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Warframe?!?!?! lmao

Also we stopped talking about it, someone came to white-knight for the idea of microtransactions and brought it up again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

so the terror of hearing the underwater roars turned into 'guess I have to double back before I pick up lithium this time'. run it down with the boost button a few times until it's dead

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

LonsomeSon posted:

Warframe?!?!?! lmao

Also we stopped talking about it, someone came to white-knight for the idea of microtransactions and brought it up again.

paypiggies gonna squeal and wallow. it’s what they live for, after all

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

They should put a bunch of fake microtransactions in subnautica 2 with content that they never actually made and and in universe currency that you can't actually get.

Let you earn in game two less than the lowest cost item.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah the creature design was extremely hit and miss and it's too easy to get a seatruck upgrade that basically makes you immortal. There's a perfect game out there incorporating elements of both of these titles which makes it a shame below zero wasn't just made as an expansion that added in-game elements to the existing title. I'm very optimistic about Subnautica 2, Hope they focus on variety and cohesiveness of the world and your interaction with it over incremental graphics updates or a super involved plot line.

Whats weird is that shock upgrade was like that in early access during the original subnautica and it plus the more maneuverable seamoth meant you could literally dogfight a reaper and shock it to death. So they made it weaker but useable.

I dont know why they changed it back in Below Zero.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TrashMammal posted:

DRG has fine mtx imo. Absolutely nothing in the game pushing you towards them, you can just buy them if you want to support the devs. I bought a cosmetic pack after playing for a couple hundred hours because I wanted to thank them for making such a good, generous game.

DRG is so chill that you can play with mods to your heart’s content and still advance the various unlocks. I run an extra players mod so we don’t have to leave someone out if five or six people want to play at the same time, and none of the game’s progression systems give a poo poo.

If the mtx finance Ghost Ship’s ability to keep patching and expanding a game I love, then imo that’s cool.

I love DRG :shobon:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
there's a handful of games i wish had some way for me to toss them extra cash due to post-release support, like stardew valley & terraria, ghost ship did that pretty good with the support packs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sloober posted:

there's a handful of games i wish had some way for me to toss them extra cash due to post-release support, like stardew valley & terraria, ghost ship did that pretty good with the support packs

you can just buy more copies as gifts, I suspect

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

General Battuta posted:

DRG has fine mtx imo. Absolutely nothing in the game pushing you towards them, you can just buy them if you want to support the devs. I bought a cosmetic pack after playing for a couple hundred hours because I wanted to thank them for making such a good, generous game.

DRG is so chill that you can play with mods to your heart’s content and still advance the various unlocks. I run an extra players mod so we don’t have to leave someone out if five or six people want to play at the same time, and none of the game’s progression systems give a poo poo.

If the mtx finance Ghost Ship’s ability to keep patching and expanding a game I love, then imo that’s cool.

I love DRG :shobon:

This isn’t an empty quote we might be the same person. Drg is the first game I’ve gone out of my way to buy microtransactions for. It’s only cosmetics that you don’t even see because the game is in first person. I guess you can see the guns, but I honestly don’t even? I just wanted to support them for making such a great game and purposefully not trying to attach upgrades or new mechanics or seasons behind a paywall.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If subnautica 2 can give me even the slightest glimpse at subnautica + barotrauma it could be one of the greatest games ever made.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I gave two on the previous page, Rocket League and Payday 2. I'll also add Train Simulator and the Euro/American Truck Simulator series to that. All of those games have piles of DLC, most of which is either purely cosmetic or legitimate content expansion, with no loot box gambling bullshit, no pay-to-win, etc.. The DLC adds real value for those who want it while those who don't care for it aren't pressured to buy anything and get to benefit from continued development of the core game.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SHISHKABOB posted:

If subnautica 2 can give me even the slightest glimpse at subnautica + barotrauma it could be one of the greatest games ever made.

I just want to be piloting my sub in some dark hole in the world, using lights and sonar to slowly map the area, when something hears my sonar pings and starts clicking back with it's own. And now you're playing hide and seek with something in the unknowable gloom that sounds like this, only much louder and more immediately terrifying.

Being able to scream at your team mates to 'turn the god damned lights off oh god it can see us' would be amazing. That or having four dudes in Prawns giving the Cave Reaper the ol' Marguerite sashimi special while Klendathu Drop plays over someone's hot mic.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TrashMammal posted:

I've been playing warframe for 6 years and have spent $20 on it (and I didn't need to), you might not like the game but the mtx model is incredible next to just about any other game in the ftp space.

EDIT: This isn't the place for this discussion, I regret responding to it in the first place.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 23, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
On anoher noe, anyone picked up Pacific Drive yet? It's a very different type of game than Subnautica, but I'm getting some similar vibes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So many little foibles in the build engine that drive me nuts. I just want to use an observation pod in a hallway, I just want to put my lockers in a row.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished below zero and went back to the original subnautica. I played as far as I could in early access and finished subnautica after release. This time I'm stuck and looking on the internet is confusing me more: Every time I have done the aurora before I entered from the back without a propulsion cannon. This time it looks like I can't get through there any more. I enter after climbing and getting past lots of cave crawlers, there's a fire extinguisher and I use it to go in. Then I can't get into cargo bay 3.

The internet says the only way to enter it is from the front but I've literally never done that before. Did this get changed at some point?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the main entryway is by the engines in the back, you need a propulsion cannon though in previous releases you could get by without one with enough effort and time.

There was also an entry around the bottom which led to the Prawn bay, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm fairly sure that on my recent playthrough I didn't need the propulsion cannon. Came in through the damaged & burning bits in the back as per normal, I think there's multiple ways in but if you do some catwalking while still on the outside you end up at a higher floor where I think you don't need anything but fire extinguishers?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah poke around the destroyed burning end and there are ways in that only require a fire extinguisher or some tolerance for pain.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Propulsion cannon is always useful to have when wreck diving since at least 1 maybe 2 have objects you can move to go deeper in.
And scouting outside the Aurora can usually get you the parts to scan to craft it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always bring a propulsion cannon because yeeting crabs out to sea is fun