Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I found out that releasing pet gasopods outside your seabase is a very bad idea, the poison will go through the wall and kill you, then you respawn and the poison kills you again two seconds later, and so on..

Is there a good way of getting stalker teeth? The advice i read on the wiki mentions letting it bite your seamoth, or check the seafloor where it has been gnawing on scrap, but i never manage to find any teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What are the benefits of using the cyclops compared to the seamoth, apart from it being easier to move your stuff around?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You can kill some creatures with the standard knife, you can't do the same with predators?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Met posted:

Exploring around is the whole point of the game. I'd rather changes were made to expand on the exploration side of things rather than a new system of researching that ultimately has me in my base putting a bunch of crap into a vending machine with a long timer.

It would be nice if the game removed all the extra fragments of a specific blueprint once you collected a full set. It is annoying find a moonpool fragment for the 10th time once you have already made one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope they upgrade the Cyclops to also hold the Prawn, because right now it feels super useless, the Seamoth is just better in every single way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was referring to the Cyclops being unable to hold both the Seamoth and Prawn. I haven't yet found any real reason to go below 900 meters, and i half expect the Cyclops would explode because it is constantly bumping into thing and taking damage.

The Seamoth has virtually unlimited power with the solar cells, can go fast and is much much more manoeuvrable, they should just find a way to combine it with the Prawn in sort sort of transformers style vehicle.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just started a new game, i am not sure who thought it would be a good idea for the gasopods to make those creepy sounds all the time.
How do you get into the Aurora now? The door that you could get in through before is blocked.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is pretty annoying that every single biome has bonesharks now, especially since most blueprints are in wrecks now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Demiurge4 posted:

You're being mocked because you seem mad that the game doesn't move out of the survival themes. The sea is dark and full of terrors.

I think that for a lot of people the appeal of this game was that it was different than most survival games. Instead of chopping down trees in order to build a cabin to keep you safe, you were free to swim around and just look at the scenery. There were still dangers but you were safe most places.
The game now seems to be heading in the direction of a generic survival game, it isn't bad by any means but it was definitely better a few patches ago.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From what i can see you need a propulsion gun to get in and out of the Aurora. You can technically get in without it, but then you need to cheat to get out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am pleasantly surprised that they listened to feedback about how annoying it was to have all the important blueprints be locked inside wrecks, that was really killing the fun of the game for me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Cyclops just got even more useless
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/silent-running/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The game is still really good, and worth the money. Some of us just think that the devs are wasting their time by making changes that are dumb, just so they can appease a small minority who want survival games to be as hard and tedious as possible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I haven't played it since they started putting in a story and alien bases, but i never had a problem with the performance. My computer is on the average to low end, and i run it on a harddrive just fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe i was just unlucky, but i started a new game and i could hardly find any quartz, it used to be almost as common as titanium.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For a game this fun and addicting it is frustrating to see the same bugs that were in the game at the release of early access still not get fixed.

I could deal with shoals of fish constantly swimming through my base and i could deal with the boneshark clipping through a cave wall and swimming in air, stopping me from examining an alien portal.

But i just tried to dock my Prawn in the Cyclops, i hit the Cyclops and it disappeared and now the game is telling me that it is located 338755 meters away....

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Have the seamoth and prawn be able to combine transformers style, that way you wouldn't need the dumb cyclops to transport the prawn around

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For me the problem is the number of bugs that have been in the game for years that have yet to be fixed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

redreader posted:

So is this basically done or is there a final release to come? Looking forward to a full playthrough.

They are doing daily updates until release day, where they will presumably release one big final update.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like building in the Mushroom Forest because it's pretty, and it is close enough to the surface that solar panels still work good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For the first time I am going to build a thermal plant, but all the vents i have found so far are either in the safe shallows or surrounded by dangerous predators. Is there any special place that people usually build there base at? Preferrably some place i can go with my seamoth.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have played through this game several times, but this is the first time I have ever built the scanner room (partly because it didn't work for the longest time). Wow I don't know how i ever lived without it, it makes finding resources so much easier.
Though I found it a little annoying that I could deconstruct it when it had modules installed and they just disappeared, though that is mostly my own fault.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am nearing the later parts of the game and I hope somebody can tell me exactly what to do from here on. I entered the Lost River area and explored a damaged alien base that had warper parts, an emperor egg and some alien info about the disease. I don't find this part of the game particularly interesting, i just want to get to the point where i am ready to make the escape rocket, and get the alien part over with as fast as possible. So can anyone tell me briefly where to go and what to do?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OwlFancier posted:

Go further into the river, near the disease lab you explored there is a plateu with a skeleton on it, one exit from that chamber leads past a large tree with blue brine pools round it, go past there and down into the lava tubes. Follow them along until you reach a large lava filled chamber with a big volcanic smoker formation in the middle. Swim into the big structure and find the thermal plant. Bring two purple keys, get the alien power data (not really needed but useful) and the blue key (scan it before you pick it up/use it). Go back into the large chamber. Nearer one of the walls is a big sinkhole in the floor, go down through it and into an even more lava filled room. Here is the primary containment center. Bring two blue keys (you have to fabricate one) and five ion crystals. Use the keys to open both doors and the ion crystals to open all the teleport gates, from here you can teleport around the map and finish the disease cure, then you should be able to deactivate the big laser gun and fly home once you build the rocket. If you bring a cyclops into the lava lake, you can get it out again a little faster, the final lava area also links back up directly to near the disease research facility, but you need the blue key from the thermal plant to get in so you need to go the other way first on your way down.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The cyclops could use a camera drone or something similar that could show the vessel from a bit away, the camera angles aren't always useful when it comes to tight spaces.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The cyclops combined the lava section was not fun, and it was the first time the game felt like a chore. But I completed the game and overall it is a great experience. I just hope the developers get around to fixing all the bugs that have been around for years.

Something odd happened to my base towards the end, the upper part of it became completely flooded despite the structure being high, and the lights were notability dimmer. Not sure if it was a bug or I did something wrong.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Do the creatures in the game reproduce asexually? Twice during the game i experienced that a creature in my alien containment had multiplied even though i am sure there was only one creature in there when i left.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you reload a game before taking off in the rocket and make a new time capsule, does that also count or does each player only get one?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

redreader posted:

I bought this game ages ago and never saw a single cuddlefish

It is a relatively new addition to the game, and there are only four cuddlefish eggs in the game as i understand it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

by.a.teammate posted:

Amazing thanks, I went to the keen signal once I upgraded my underwater ship thingy but I have the lazer cutter too now so maybe i'll go back and take another look

The laser cutter opens up the ability to explore a lot of wrecks, for some reason they decided to make it a lot harder to get in this final version of the game.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you have the reinforced dive suit i find that you can usually just swim really close to a leviathan and avoid most of its attacks, and you don't take a lot of damage when you do get hit.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have put 100 hours into this game and I only just realized that the prawn uses two powercells and not just one....

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Another thing that I think would help would be to put the damage indicator on the main cyclops hud, having to stop and step back so you can see that screen is a little annoying.

Also, when I first tried removing lava larva’s manually, a new one attached itself to the hull as fast as I could pull them off, is it actually possible to do something about them without the shield generator?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The in-game screenshot option seems to have stopped working for some reason, so you will have to endure one with the hud on.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ciaphas posted:

Just making sure, the LOD/popin is really amazingly bad for everyone in this game, right? Nothing on my compy is broken?

Yep, everyone has those problems.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will never understand why hardcore gamers insist on ruining games for everyone else. If you think a game is too easy then it is your own fault for lacking enough willpower to impose limits on your game.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a stupid viewpoint. Self-imposed challenges have their place but the idea of having devs rebalance a single-player game is to aim for what the optimal experience is. Lets look at this from the perspective of hull damage; is the current system better than a proposed alternative of where you can only repair at base but have significantly more hull? Not really. Cause right now hull damage is just tedium; you have to occasionally jump out of your ship to patch it up and then go back to driving. There's nothing interesting involved in it. Furthermore if the game was balanced around not being able to repair then they could remove hull damage from minor, insignificant collision which serve only to annoy the player. It'd also give more incentive to use the strengthened hull module which is mostly pointless right now.

Just because a change makes the game harder doesn't mean its bad. A game being harder can provide the player with a better experience. Also self-imposed challenges aren't really applicable to a first playthrough where people are still feeling the game out and won't realize how broken something is until they have been using it for hours.

EDIT: Let me just head-off a potential argument by saying I don't think the difficulty of Subnautica is in a bad place. I think making it more brutal without those changes being applied to an optional mode would probably be worse for the game. Hull damage just isn't something I think the game handles particularly well. You shouldn't look down on a potential change just because it makes the game harder.

If these changes only affected a new difficulty mode then i wouldn't have a problem with them, other than I think the developers would be wasting their time, there are a ton of bugs to fix and some potantial DLC in the works, there is no reason to once again try to appeal to the type of player who doesn't like the game.

Having to constantly go back to your moonpool with the seamoth just sounds tedious and not fun in any way, with the cyclops it would be even worse. The lava zone is already dumb as it is, and the leviathans attack the cyclops even going slow in silent mode.

Subnautica is so popular because it feels like less of a hardcore experience than other survival games, if that is too easy for some folks then self imposed limits are the best and easiest way of making the game harder.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The top part of my base is flooded for no reason, I assume it is a bug.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Google Butt posted:

did they improve the pop-in yet

No, and they probably won't either. The game spent a lot of time in early access and I imagine that they just want to move on with DLC/another game, and not spend even more time and money on optimisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's a good game and it deserves to get good reviews, you can do that while also mentioning the bugs that exist.