Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If my base loses power do the fish in my aquariums die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im gonna be an adrienne barbeaubot

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gonna make sure i wear this shirt when i play now:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Antoine Silvere posted:

i cannot for the loving life of me find any goddamn cyclops bridge fragments.

I cant find a single one. Been looking for a couple hours, I wish that making power cells wasn't such a chore. COPPER!!!!!:argh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's so much more fun than The Long Dark

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

came within 1 second of drowning on a 14 hour hardcore save because i wanted to scan blueprints for a picture frame AND another kind of plant pot

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm never going to find my 3rd Cyclops bridge piece. I'll never see like 60% of the map

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, the cyclops is a mobile resource gathering base, not an exploration vessel, why would not having it limit you to 60% of the map?

Well you can't go deeper than 225 in an unmodified Moth, so...place like the jellyfish cave are pretty much off limits. I have the whole upgrade console and no moon pool parts, as well :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, found it. The rebreather was excellent advice, even if i did find myself swimming home after building a third air tank and diving deep in the dunes. I guess my moth had momentum when I hopped out at 224 meters because I turned to it after scanning my third bridge fragment just in time to see it violently explode.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I built my habitat basically right under the escape pod and also put the vehicle bay just a few meters away and it's really strong- way under the crush/crack limit. However, when I built my Cyclops, the pressure of it dropping into the water must have been huge because upon returning to my base right afterward it was flooded to the top.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Definitely copper.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

So is the map or at least the zone map fixed then? I had assumed that it was randomised.

Everything is fixed except I believe the way fragments are dispersed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Got an email this morning, I guess they pushed the new build?

Hi everyone!

A new Subnautica update is available on Steam. The Oculus Update brings support for Oculus Rift SDK 1.3, which is a nerdy way of saying: You can play Subnautica on your Oculus Rift right now! If you already own Subnautica on Steam, it is not necessary to buy again on Oculus Home. You can use your Steam copy to play with the Oculus Rift.

Learn more about the Oculus Update
Not all the fun is reserved for Oculus users. Everyone gets all these new features :
You can now sit in chairs! We know how desperately you've wanted this so we've working hard to deliver
Base oxygen production now requires power
Fragments now spawn inside wrecked chunks of the Aurora
Lots of creatures have had an animation overhaul
There's a fancy new 3D main menu

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

This is going to mess with a lot of people, but I suppose that at least now there's a reason to build bioreactors.

I build bioreactors anyway! poo poo is cheap and easy to refill, supplement with solar and you need to drop a mushroom and some kelp in like every 4 hours.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just put kelp in your aquarium plant slot and you can just grab three from there any time you need them

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I would really love to see Subnautica become THE killer VR app because it's a lot of fun just with a mouse and keyboard and it's so much more fleshed out than the mostly glorified tech demos that are available now for VR.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bugs and issues with what, the VR part? I put 40 hours in with M+KB and I don't think I saw a single glitch

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

double nine posted:

I could use a set of goals to strive for in the early game. I made some fins, a welder and a knife and ... now what? Also i guess the reactor blowing up is an unstoppable event but does it change my environment significantly?

make a seamoth to go deeper, build a base to pimp out with all the stuff you find, work towards a giant mobile base in the cyclops

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I find the game a lot more fun in Survival mode and without wikis.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i played this game for 50 hours on survival and never built a water desalinator. potted plants on the cyclops for life

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think survival will get a lot harder once you have to dive wrecks for blueprints. Right now you just take one trip to the island and you're set for food and water, as long as you have a pot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What are those labels? Do they come from a scanning room (I never built one)?

Equip a frequency. And I think you can pipe in air from the surface with those pipes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

waystofleshouta30hourexperience.txt

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

do these people realize that the long dark is available if you want gameplay that's just to slowly but surely starve to death

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

40+ hours in this game and I've never been in the wreck itself

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Met posted:

There's a difference when people use the term "Wreck" vs "Aurora"

I meant I've never been in the Aurora you pedantic gently caress :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

in any case, I put 40 hours in and never went in the wreck of the Aurora This game greatly benefits from not using the Internet and figuring it out for yourself.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

building a cyclops is like, 50% of the fun of the game, I'd say

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

whoops

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm gonna be an adrienne barbeauxbot

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ambaire posted:

The last time I was really playing this game was last year before they made the seamoth change that turned it into a slow laggy monster instead of the zippy underwater fighter jet I had. I honestly don't see myself playing subnautica again unless there's a way to revert to the march 2015 version. Despite the fact that I have 28 hours in it, if I could get a refund, I would. It's basically been developing backwards and is now in no man's sky territory.

source your quotes

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Long Dark is pretty okay but you'll eventually die no matter what

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ARK sucks balls, take it from me

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

Hey, I like Ark, and I play it single player a lot. I find it really similar to Subnautica. You spend most of your time wandering around collecting resources to build up your base, exploring the landscape and dealing with the local wildlife.

I guess single player would be fine but there's no real challenge- Ark is meant so that you team up with others and raid other factions' bases. It sounds fine but in theory it works out to "who can stay online longer"

and the performance of the game is balls too

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

You could say the same thing about Subnautica though.

not if you play it in Survival mode. Playing ARK alone is contrary to the entire design of the game, but more power to you if you find it relaxing

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ARK and Subnautica are really nothing alike and should not be compared.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've been playing Osiris: New Dawn with a buddy just to chill and chat and smoke and drink and in my opinion unless you're in to the PVP aspect of things, cooperating with another person adds nothing to this genre of game besides 'WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE loving CARBON???' when you log in

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lonos Oboe posted:

You should try something like 7 days to Die with a couple of mates. You are talking about 4 dudes who lived together through college but will straight up murder each other if you steal their favorite hat ingame. Or leave you to be killed by zombies because it's funny.

I mean, that sounds fun in theory but the dude I'm playing with is probably willing to lose his job to grind me in to the dust in a PvP scenario, he's just that type of buddy

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Subnautica is absolutely worth $10. I put 18 hours in and could see that there was a lot more story to add so I shelved it until it releases, but I've spent $10 on much, much shittier games than this. Even if they added nothing else I think it's worth the $10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Haven't done this yet but it's tempting. One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed. I just want a chill underwater exploration thing where I can zip around in my fighter plane seamoth. Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

you are a gigantic baby