Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Because then you'd still be allowed to have soda, so it could nutshot you half your health every time and the people they listen to for balancing would still complain it's too easy.

To be fair as of them installing the purified water thing it is pretty easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some features don't load into existing games.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Well you see. It's "Realistic" that we don't lug around multiple air tanks because a realistic scuba man would not carry multiple heavy tanks... but go gently caress yourself if you bring up that real life tanks have an air capacity reaching untold heights of "At least five minutes"

In actual scuba diving the way players behave in this game would literally kill you stone dead, and not pleasantly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

It's powered by 02, which is why it needs more O2 at lower levels to maintain 1atm. I'm p. sure this is the actual explanation btw.

That would be kinda dumb, as you consume more o2 naturally at depth..

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They had to make a development stage entirely about a baby fish that you could give treats to.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I will never understand why games like this make every large predator agro. Having a few different personalities for predators (passive, traveling, territorial, aggressive) with accompanying idle animations would be more authentic and immersive. Most apex predators hunt for a very small percentage of their waking hours. It would be fun having to read a boneshark at a distance vs knowing they will zerg rush you 100% at a time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

I didn't come across it in game, but someone on Reddit submitted one that includes the PDA quote about adopting a pet, and a picture of the Cuddlefish

the capsule has a Mesmer in it

:lol: pure evil

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been very careful about not getting any spoilers for below zero, cuz I played the original Early Access and it's one of my favorite video games of all time. Without getting into the details would you guys say it equals the original, it's a lesser game, It's somehow better? I'm not touching it until it officially releases.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kind of missed the terraforming just because I play games like this to make a kick-rear end mansion. My original base before the terraforming was removed had a tunnel dug all the way from the safe shallows to the mushroom kingdom and I had a basement down there with my bed so I could chill out with all the fancy colorful mushrooms.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

My prawn suit gets stuck on any of the ramps in the alien thermal facility :(

E: okay I reloaded my save and simply boosted to avoid the up ramps and got through it.

This is the only bug in the original game that ever really annoyed me. I'll echo the thought that more base stuff would have been appreciated, particularly a larger room or a cyclops dock.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I played the beta for about an hour today just to make sure my computer was running it all right for tomorrow. About 40 minutes and I decided I'd seen enough and just decided to swim out and one random direction as long as it took for something to come by and eat me. Never happened. I'm not sure if I just pick the wrong direction for killer scary things or if the map is bigger but I feel like it would have taken me like 7 minutes in the original game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in my mid-thirties and the original subnautica was the first original IP video game in probably a good 15 years that I really got lost in. I'm so hyped for starting it up tonight. I'm sure it won't be the same experience but I don't care.

I will say, I do hope at some point they mod the new craftables into the old game. From the hour or so so far I've played of below zero It seems like the base building is probably more rewarding in the original game, just because there's a lot more open space in og.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I played the first game over the course of the past month or so, so it's still fresh in my mind and although I liked it a lot, it's not like an unassailable classic in my mind, so I'm wondering how I will feel about the sequel.

First impressions: Wow it runs a lot smoother, and wow the writing and voice acting seems pretty ham-fisted, but hopefully it goes somewhere!

I feel like the big reason I love subnautica so much is I've always been very much about theme and atmosphere in games. Most of the game series I loved growing up were fairly buggy, just because they were ambitious games aimed at a small market. I tend to not really consider bugs a part of the experience unless they literally can't be avoided and break the game.

If you thinks about subnautica in terms of whether or not it's a polished, professional product there are still things like sound direction that are impressive but it's certainly got legitimate flaws.

If you think about subnautica as something that delivered a unique, atmospheric experience it's nearly beyond reproach.

I said this earlier but the only bug that ever really took me out of the experience was the way your Cyclops would get stuck on some end-game environments. The only other criticism I might have is I always hate it when predators in video games are always aggro and never just ignore you. But that's a very specific minor complaint about very specific regions.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mid game spoiler: So are you supposed to be able to barely squeeze the truck into the undersea doors to get into that mine? You can just barely squeeze it in with no modules. Is there a way to open the doors more fully? It's a pain in the rear end pushing the truck through the gate, but I can't figure out another way to breathe long enough once you're in. The prawn suit probably fits, but I didn't unlock it until after I got down there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You basically have to get a running start at the top of it where it's slightly wider and then just wobble the boat around until you pass through. It definitely doesn't seem intentional that you can squeeze it in there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I figured the prawn had to fit because there were so many of those gigantic resource blobs.

Also I would pay a tenner easy to be able to put the large rooms and the skylights in the original game.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Squidsharks can gently caress right off. I swear they camp scannable parts. As soon as I got a vehicle defense item I stopped what I was doing and sought one out to body.

Also is it just me or is lead low key the most annoying base item to find?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 15, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They got rid of lead nodes? The asset already exists. :psyduck:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Graniteman posted:

I’ve play 8 hours of below zero, and I’ve yet to complete a blueprint for any of the seatruck additions (storage, fabricator, etc). I must be blind.

They're deeper.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how certain things that make real life hard translate to video games. Every time when I'm coming back to my base I think next time I'm going to carry some loving scanners. Every single time when I'm leaving my base exactly when I'm far enough along that I don't want to go back I realize I never made any scanners.

Early in the game I found a bridge missing hydraulic oil . Now I have the item and I can't for the life of me find the place. Anyone have a good way to navigate to it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can plant those, As a heads up

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't find the land element too annoying I just booked it on foot while shoveling chilis and salads down my throat. Have 2/3 Alien bits. Still haven't found the snow speeder.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a sleepy mother bleeper, work gonna be rough. Really pleased with my base design.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

The monster design in the original Subnautica is not really scary either, neither of them are scary games.

I think popular sentiment would disagree with you there bud.

I will say survival mode after a while kind of makes you not really give a gently caress about leviathans because there isn't a huge penalty for dying, but until you get kind of calloused by that there's a bunch of monsters that are creepy as hell and also really effective for jump scares.

I haven't ever tried a hardcore playthrough, probably about 5 or 6 months after I beat below zero I'll try and play through one and below zero on hardcore without dying in either. I imagine that would be a lot more tense.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Work is really lovely right now because my department is super understaffed and all I want to do is get to 5:00 so I can play more dystopian future capitalist hellhole rather than regular old present day capitalist hellhole.

You can tell me that the business is doing amazing or you can tell me that you can't staff us appropriately, gently caress off with both.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I play a very base centric game in both of these. I don't think I've ever had a seamoth a prawn the truck or a cyclops ever run out of power. The sea truck is functionally very similar to the seamoth if you don't have trailers attached. For a good six or seven hours in my playthrough I just mode it around in it like the seamoth without any compartments and it was perfectly fine for that.

If you have a repair tool on you and you don't mind dinging it up a little bit you can squeeze it into just about everywhere you could have a seamoth in the original game.

I could see how people wouldn't like it if they just put compartments on it from moment one and for some reason refuse to take them off.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not having a radar available for the seatruck is a bit of a bummer for sure. I get the thematic reason for why it's not in there, but honestly just adding that one function would make the cab-less truck a completely acceptable replacement for the seamoth.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So far the only thing in my game that can take a hit from the defense mod thing and not give a gently caress is reaper equivalent. I go out of my way to zap the squidsharks because gently caress those guys.

Honestly the truck seems to handle attacks better than the Cyclops did. It's just as tanky if you keep it topped up but it's much better at getting away.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished it. The late game is fine, less impressive than the original, but that was always going to be hard to top. Re: Sam I can infer that she kamakazied the virus base with her seatruck, but it's never explicitly stated in pdas I found. Did I miss something? I feel like the PDAs trailed off with her finding out they were shenaniganing with the virus and her beau wasn't going to take her concerns seriously.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much everything alterra just drips with exploitative capitalism.

There's a throwaway line when you first find a diamond in the original game that the equipment you use is running a tally of how many resources you find and will expect to be compensated for all the resources when you return.

If you read the letter that they send the protagonist in this one about her sister dying it ends with a line saying that the company is going to pursue her for the expenses of her sister's death.

I'm just using two examples from very early on in either game but there's a million just like it if you read the fluff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tonight I'm wrapping up base design and I'm going to scan that mother fucker. Plan is to just take the prawn down there so when I inevitably die I can use the truck to pick it up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Below zero never actually happened, because my space janitor cured the virus but never turned off the death laser. He is kicking his feet up on an alien beach sipping on a bladder fish martini and laughing about the fact that altera could have had iron battery technology and all the minerals they could ever want if there was literally any incentive for him to go back.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Altera's business practices are based on real world equivalents. It's a real transparent parallel to the old West Virginia coal mines (among a few other examples).

They would give you housing and food on a scrip currency and basically turn their employees into indentured servants. All the sudden you don't have any possessions or resources that aren't under company control and they have full control over the economy they've created.

The situation Alterra created is arguably worse because it's a hell of a lot harder to leave a spaceship than a coal town in West Virginia - if you get disgruntled and decide you'd rather be a hobo than effective slave labor.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dyz posted:

Sea Monkeys are the best. Their little clap when you take something from them is the best. The look of rejection when you don't is the worst.

What kinda monster doesn't take their item? I'll drop something if my inventory is full.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They immediately decided to start loving around with a galaxy-ending bacteria with a skeleton crew of people, and as far as I can tell their only concession to safety was to have one dude as a security person. Misrepresenting or not understanding risk is one of the fundamental elements of immoral business. It doesn't matter what their motive was, They're assuming incredible risk on behalf of billions of people without their consent.

Purdue intentionally misrepresented the risks of a single product and the end result is the opioid epidemic irreparably damaging huge swaths of multiple countries. Imagine what the blowback would be right now if it came out a major international business had purchased smallpox samples and was working on them in an unsecured lab setting.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's funny by having the large room they've completely shifted my need for resources. I always kind of want to have an aesthetically pleasing layout that includes basically everything you can have. If you don't care about appearances you can basically do that with one large room and a moon pool right now. I used to go through hundreds upon hundreds of titanium bits.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fish in this game are loving suicidal. The difference between avoiding the fish, ignoring the fish, and outright steering into the fish is maybe plus or minus two fish a minute donked.

I started out the original subnautica trying to avoid hitting critters but eventually you just become deadened to *donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Turns out that once AL-AN leaves your head, the seamonkeys start stealing again :(

This didn't happen for me, they were still doing the thing after I did the thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen screenshots of people stacking large rooms in a layered fashion, not exactly on top of each other but slightly off center, to make a tiered system. Does anyone know how those people did that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The best way to deal with the polar bear things is to just install the propulsion cannon on your prawn suit and yeet them into the water.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2021