Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

skipmyseashells posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a game scare me like peeking my head under that murky water at the crash site and seeing/hearing a leviathan in my face

It took me a legitimate hour to navigate that space the first time I saw it. The murky water, the roaring, the half second sliver of the Reaper just in the distance, shook me in a way that was visceral. I had so much fun just scaring myself in that area as I slowly moved from rock to rock. I cannot remember when a game got to me like that. So much fun to be had on the razor's edge of terror.

Between that and just standing on the edge of the game world and just looking down into that abyss, Subnautica is easily one of the best horror games I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I started a hardcore run. It was nice to come back to the shallows and the oxygen thing certainly gave the game an edge. I was a bit disappointed in Below Zero so I was looking forward to exploring the wrecks and dodging reapers again. I finally found the time to sit down and start the first base, so I started gathering materials and went down a cave. Apparently, I brushed up against something blue-ish and glowing against the wall and very quickly died. I actually thought the game had crashed. Shame.

All this chatter makes me want to start up another go at the hardcore run. Is there any mods on Nexus that are just game changing?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
As the sum of all its parts, Below Zero is not my favorite experience. A lot of the time, I felt like I wanted to go back to the base game just with all the QoL stuff intact. Still, there are some things in Below Zero that are very much worth experiencing.

The icebergs near the Green House are incredible to navigate around. The weather effects, particularly the hailstorms that send flurries of ice-balls into the water, are stunning. The first time I broke the surface into a white-out snow storm was great. The land stuff is disappointing, but using the Prawn Suit's grapple to swing around and avoid...things was fun. The new underwater biomes are neat.

It would be hard for any game to follow up the original Subnautica

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I only found one escape pod but it had an Ion battery and a Trucker's Cap that sat proudly on the desk of my best till I put it in my own escape pod.

I started the game with survival on for a few hours. I got annoyed by the constant need to eat and hunting for fish. However after a few hours in freedom, I restarted the game with survival back on. Once I had figured out the basic loop of gameplay and how to go use the grav traps to fish and get fresh water, I thought the game was better for the addition of supplies. It was like I had figured something out and make the planet work for me and that was a good feeling in the game, especially cause I don't really play survival games before this one.

I do think the first time you play the game, the survival aspect is not well defined and can get a bit frustrating. However after getting my feet wet so to speak, I greatly enjoyed its addition to the overall game. I do think they could guide you a bit better through it at the start tho.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I have thought about how the two stories start a lot in that regard.

In Subnautica, you are all but tossed into the ocean with a good luck and a "lol capitalism" tablet. It is very much what you make. There is the story regarding the other survivors, but you never meet them. Instead, the story basically what you make of it. The player is very much the main character and this lets you own your accomplishments a lot easier. Even as the game progresses, the story is still very much happening to you and your actions ultimately matter towards the overall completion. You can stop at any time and just enjoy the overall vibe, but it is pretty easy to pick up the threads and move forward.

In Below Zero, Your character puts herself in that situation. She is not looking to be rescued but instead wants to figure out the various mysteries surrounding her sister, the planet, etc etc. There are characters to interact with, albeit loosely, but the story wants to feel personal. Changing the writers in development is probably the biggest issue to why the story feels so disjointed and unconnected, but it also kinda had to be lynchpin for the game really work the same with the first one did. I needed a stronger, more concrete reason to be there and explore because I put myself there. It had all the potential to be a personal story, but never gels right and ends up feel very insubstantial. I think it really hampers the overall experience actually.

Its a simple thing but the framing device really changes how I approached and felt about the games. I think Below Zero is good and has some great spots/moments, but its hard to get into and that really drags the game down for me.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
2 Grav Traps, one set low and one set high, placed in the kelp forest with a couple of pieces of debris scattered around is a god-send in the early game. Plenty of fish, teeth, as well as odds and ends right next to my base. Figuring out the Grav-traps really made survival a lot easier at the start.

edit: Grav-trap snipe!

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 13, 2022

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
To me at least, it was always the framing device at the start of Below Zero that really harmed the game. Especially considering its the same one as the first game, done worse.

In the original, you essentially wake up to an endless ocean and a crashed spaceship. At this point, it is entirely up to you to survive, get established, and start getting off this planet because you crashed. Even an hour into the game, it further reinforces this by having every escape pod empty and the spaceship blowing up again; you crashed and you are alone. This really sets the tone as even 900 meters down and knee-deep into the story, I can still draw a line backwards through the plot to this point. The plot happens to you and you resolve it so you can go home. It is what made the ending of my first play through bittersweet as I did not want to leave this place I had come to call home.

Now Below Zero has to follow up this act and it is not an enviable job. I think going the route of a story driven campaign is the right call for the sequel and I like the opening. "Let's get to the bottom of my sister's disappearance and what is going on with this shady company" is a good starting point, but how you get onto the planet just pulls me out of the game. By screwing up the landing and finding yourself in the same survive-or-die situation very quickly, this opening makes my character feel a bit foolish. I kept thinking what was "Plan A" after landing. I kept coming back to it when I was getting near the end or trying to pick up a plot thread, "Why did I do this to myself".

It is a shame because the environments in Below Zero are fantastic. The first time I surfaced into a whiteout blizzard was so cool.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cythereal posted:

I think I'm not going to touch the radio again until I shut this thing down. I assume that the power plant 1,200m deep is my ultimate objective due to being the most remote. I do believe I have a goal for the game!

I love these posts :3:

It is really making me want to start another hardcore run up.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
Warhammer 40k: Darktide with the boys
Finally bought Total Warhammer 3

All the insanity that is the end of a semester of teaching...

and these posts have got me downloading Subnautica again. What is it about this game that is just...so addictive? My fault for reading the thread but godspeed Cythereal

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I always appreciated the lack of the map. I started by using the Aurora as a landmark and orienting myself to that each time I went out. Even after getting the compass, I tended to use the Aurora as my guide stone. Later on, It was the entrances to the deep rivers. It made the world feel a bit more organic as I just mentally mapped out where things were, using biomes as my general map locations. It added to that feeling of "conquering" the world, which is not the best word for the situation, but how else do you explain that sense of power and place from when you begin in the game to where you end at.

Going from a half-starved survivor to submarine captain navigating the deep, dark trenches of the game is an incredible journey.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Regarding Stalkers and teeth. I had a pair of Stalker eggs that I raised in the Containment center and let them out near my base. I left a few pieces of scrap for them and sure enough, I had a few teeth outside my base from time to time. This is not terribly efficient but I thought it was super cute. Plus I loved seeing the Stalker with its head in a piece of scrap swim by the window from time to time.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t listen to these clowns, find those cyclops parts, build one, and drive it around like a loving boss. I color mine red and black and name it Red October.

Yeah, the Cyclops is what took me from the feeling of barely surviving the experience and living at the edge to "I'm master of the seas!". It was an important milestone in the last leg of the game for me.

Learning how maneuver it though the deep was tricky though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I bounced off it my first time with the same issues. The time limits, the puzzle nature of things, the general feeling of being lost. I gave it some time and came back and found myself completely in love with it, despite some frustrations. I found a "Spoiler-Free" guide on Steam that really help direct me in a few places. It really cut down on some of the more tedious aspects of the game, without giving away the wonders of the game. I honestly wonder if I would of enjoyed the game as much as I did without that guide though. Sometimes a bit of hand-holding can go a long way. I would recommend it if you really found yourself stuck.

Great ending though, 10/10. Very much worth the journey.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I heard The Forest was similar. I picked it up on the last Steam sale, but I've not had the time to mess with it. Anyone have thoughts towards it?

I will say that everyone needs to play Outer Wilds though. Its an incredible experience, and the spoiler free guide on Steam was really handy in helping me put the last pieces together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The first time I surfaced into a whiteout blizzard was genuinely disorientating and I loved it. The weather effects I really enjoyed. The lily pads were also just incredible, almost haunting the first time I came upon them.