Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Finding the ultra high capacity tank fragments before finding the high capacity tank data box was apparently a common occurrence and I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I thought the reapers would respawn on load?!

I don’t think they do. But if they do they shouldn’t, because it takes effort to kill one and would undercut the feeling of accomplishment

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The devs have specifically said they intentionally didn't include anything that would give a feeling of accomplishment for killing a mob :eng101:

Then I imagine the leviathans stay dead so you have to live with the consequences of your actions, a depressing empty ocean

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

the seamoth fits in the final teleporter if you really want to cut down the cross-map time

Oh poo poo I never tried that til just now. Depth is correctly ignored so the seamoth doesn’t take damage too

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Would love a Large Room with a glass ceiling in the Lava Lakes, that’d be my vacation spot

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Exploring the deeps of Twisty Bridges while “A Continuous Thrum” played was definitely a highlight of the game. Couldn’t possibly capture the vibe of the game any better

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zesty posted:

You know, besides all the fragments and materials you need.

And a noisy sharktopus thing that is fairly terrifying

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I succeeded at permadeath only because I tried to beat the game as quick as I could before a glitch could get me.

Finished it in 7 hours, which is 7x the current speed run record but I’m pretty proud of it.

Didn’t even use any vehicles :smug:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

wolrah posted:

Also doesn't the speedrun route die a few times as a "teleport to nearest base" shortcut?

This is true but apparently it only takes the speed run time from 58m to 1h3m - so not that big of a diff

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The pop-in issue just added to the terror of the game so I’m all for it

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Further to this, don't try to walk into the, uh, somewhat final area in BZ while in your prawn suit. If you even CAN get in, you'll get stuck.

I actually made the swim back up. All the way :shepface:

You mean you swam from the fabrication center all the way back to the surface? drat.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Cytherial do not read: Neat, he's gonna metagame himself into the ultimately-unsatisfying-on-first-play 'sunbeam just leaves due to orbital debris' outcome.

it’s so cool they’re actually making the correct in-game moral choice given their order of discovery.

If Riley was making contact with a potential rescue ship, but before they made actual plans to rescue him he discovered the active space gun that obviously shot down the Aurora, the ethical thing for him to do is cut off contact with the Sunbeam since he knows they’ll just get shot down too

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I guess I always thought the radio was two-way and we were just not hearing Riley speak. You’re probably right though.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Besides a map, I feel like this game sorely needs a mobile resource scanner module for one of the vehicles instead of making me spam scanner bases to find just the right lumpy brown-gray smudge in the clutter that I want.

Not really a spoiler for the next game but hey they made this! It’s a handheld mineral scanner that points you to the nearest mineral of your choice! hopefully it gets added to Subnautica 1.0

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah it’s totally fine just don’t take a nap in between

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

How are the new base pieces made available? Typically you would need to scan them first right?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If the trailers for Avatar 2 had said “it’s kinda like subnautica” I would’ve bought a midnight ticket

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

“James this game is incredible! You can dive SO DEEP, like 1.6km deep!”

JC: wow, 1.6 huh? That’s adorable. :rolleyes:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Did they ever improve the pop in distance in this?

I want to say yes but it’s still not great, probably as good as it’ll get

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

In stark contrast to the first subnautica I would highly recommend you just google how to get stalker fur as it’s very dumb and makes no sense

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't either. I don't know what the "pop in" people are always complaining about even means. Only issue I remember was having fish swimming around inside my base sometimes.

?????

Pop-in has been a very common complaint about lots of different games for a very long time now. I don’t even know how to explain it without sounding like a patronizing prick.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it has something to do with texture draw distance? I have never noticed it as a problem, but I've also been gaming since games had draw distances of like ten feet. There are some Cities: Skylines assets where the LOD is done wrong and they disappear when you zoom out too much, that's the only thing I can think of. People post stories here of their Seamoth suddenly appearing inside of a mountain or something and I've never had anything like that happen.

Yeah it’s usually a texture issue but Subnautica is special in that you can travel quickly enough that not only do the textures pop-in late, the solidity of the world also lags behind.

So for example the first time I tried to find the PCF my prawn walked through walls that hadn’t yet had a chance to become solid (or visible) and I was terminally stuck forever and had to reload

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ErKeL posted:

Sea of Thieves for its generation of waves alone makes an incredible game. Rolling around in a boat with your mates trying to loot as much treasure as you can before returning home is a solid adventure.

Subnautica is definitely completely unique in its environment though. With time I realised I was rarely in danger but when the sun set the first few nights or when I dived deep into the abyss first time gave me absolute chills.

The first few nights were also unnerving for me because I just assumed some things changed when the sun went down. Maybe creatures get more aggressive or migrate to different biomes or something?

That not being the case was a minor disappointment imo

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Never apologize for killing those things. Far too annoying/scary/ugly to live

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That is an exciting post but also makes sad because it means Subnautica 3 is further away than I thought :(

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Cyclops is amazing and exploring it for the first time is unmatched in terms of shock and excitement. BUT since you can’t recreate that feeling in the sequel I’m glad the Seatruck exists.

Perfect for the cave-heavy late game and discovering new modules is almost as cool as finding out the Cyclops has a dry dock*

(Yes I know that info is in the database but I can’t read)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Well, also, the modules seemed mostly useless. Like they'd be better applicable in a harsher area. Automatically collecting fish? Ok, but I'm filled with food already.

Scanner Room Module was right there! and they hosed it

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

GD_American posted:

I never understood people whose favorite vehicle wasn't the Seamoth. Beautiful little Scooty Puff Jr. sounding bastard that moves like a jet fighter in the water

Seamoth’s best feature was its lack of free look which definitely amplified the anxiety of setting off into uncharted waters.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I feel like I'm missing something as I still haven't found the first tank upgrade, exploring with 75s of air is a bit of a bother, but with vehicle support it's been manageable.

Same exact thing happened to me in my playthru. Just look up where it is.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I coulda swore they fixed it so scanner room upgrades return to your inventory when you deconstruct them

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

You should be able to build 2 (3?) moon pools next to each other that connect together for a cyclops dock

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It’s funny how the Precursors went to such trouble to create hunter-killer warp monsters to specifically kill things that have a terminal disease

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

TuxedoOrca posted:

On one hand, I've always wondered what Subnautica would be like with another player.

On the other, I dunno what "live-service" might involve in this case and if it will ruin it.

Reaper wears a Santa hat in the month of December

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

But for the record I would’ve pwned all of you at the Cuddlefish Egg Hunt challenge

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I didn't think it was possible to have fauna actually directly, purposely attack your base.

In BZ Squidsharks in the Lillypad Islands would periodically poke holes in my base

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Complications posted:

Generally I have my power rooms/towers be the ones that are reinforced everywhere to provide hull integrity for everything else. It feels thematic to me.

Yeah it works for the nuclear reactor room. Like, obviously these reinforcements are to prevent radiation from damaging the environment.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's annoying that most of the time when you find a log you can't stop to read it right there because you're limited by oxygen.
In Settings under Accessibility you can turn on “PDA Pause” to solve this problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Counterpoint: there should never be a "scan this" icon, every time you want to scan something you should have to solve a puzzle in real time, and you can run out of air or get eaten while in the puzzle interface.

I hope it’s a Pipe Dream puzzle clone!