Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So I uh, I tried to dock my seamoth into the moonpool while it was draining and it ejected me and I fell down to the seafloor. It thinks I'm in my base because it's making clanking walking sounds but I'm on the surface. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it. Going to try and walk to find some quartz and make a little habitat that I get in/out in the hopes it'll trigger swimming again

are there any console commands I can use to force swim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Met posted:

I had a similar issue falling through my base once. I just went into a hatch from the outside and that fixed it.
Sadly, I'm on the edge of a cliff. I was able to just die and respawn back in.

After experimentation, it seems that I get dropped to the ocean floor no matter where I attach the moonpool to my base! This sucks.

e: found a thread. It's a known issue in VR. I'm not going crazy! Phew! http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143099/game-breaking-oculus-glitches

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 6, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What I really need is silver; quartz is everywhere for me.

So in reading more about playing this in VR, a lot of the bugs I'm running into are due to not having any animations. I didn't know there were animations for stuff! I also didn't realize my slow walking pace in buildings is a VR-specific thing. I really hope they fix it soon.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

IronDoge posted:

Now that I have my Cyclops I find myself not going back to the game so much. Do they have plans of adding in and endgame of some sort? It's always nice to have a goal to work towards
I got the cyclops recipe complete before I even found the last piece of the seamoth. I can't build it yet, but it's sad that that's the "top" of the tech tree at the moment. Still, early access!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't played in a while, and when I did I played in modes that didn't require me to eat because I was sick of hunting for salt every five minutes. Did this change?

I've heard stuff like "all you need is (some fish) for food and gasbags for water", but I'm phone posting and can't figure out what the recipes in question are.
the mighty reginald can be eaten for +44 food, cooked without salt. All you need is a dozen quartz/titanium to make yourself an alien isolation tank and throw 2 of them them in to breed. Then when you find the island, you can get and grow fruit and all your food problems go away forever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Once the game is more feature complete I'd love a more gritty and lowtech mod or alternate gameplay mode. You'd start on a surface island and scrounge up scrap to make basic tools and make very short dives for pearls or whatever, then later on you'd craft your first wetsuit and start salvaging more valuable tech from the Aurora from a workbench, basically expanding the tech tree hugely and making the current tree the endgame.

Heck you could make your first bases a bunch of pre-crafted inflatable rooms you have to anchor to the sea floor until you get the building wand.
Ooor you keep true to the theme and be in the water 99% of the time because the game is called subnautica and it's about being in the water.

It's not something you should "unlock" partway through the game, it's not somewhere you go just to scavenge resources before going back to your above-ground shelter. If you want an above-ground survival game there are about a dozen on steam in varying stages of completeness that you're free to play right this moment.

Fortunately, the designers seem to agree. The early game is pretty much done at this point excepting minor tweaks like critical blueprint unlocks soon to be found in larger wreck rooms.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 8, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Eh, that link's SUPER basic. Here's what I'd suggest overall:

• Harvest nearby quartz and scrap, stay in the safe shallows. Break open any limestone chunks you see.
  • Make o2 tank with quartz and titanium (conv. quartz into glass as needed)
  • Make 1-2 floating deployable containers for general storage
  • Cook and eat non-airsack fish and make airsacks into water to survive as-needed
  • Find 3 salt crystals and 1 crash powder (easiest from tunnels & coral), make them into a welder. Repair your lifepod to stop it drifting and to start making healthpacks and transmitter
  • Once you find the kelp forest, get 6 creepvine clusters (the glowing yellow pods) and make them into fins and a survival knife. Keep a lookout for table coral (red coral) and cut 2 off when you find them.
  • Once you find a copper ore, pick up 2 acid mushrooms, make a scanner and start scanning everything. Look for rectangular boxes on the ground and scan those. Find enough solar panel boxes to unlock the blueprint
  • Head back to the kelp forest, hack off 4 chunks from plant itself with the survival knife, scout around for limestone chunks along the deeper walls in the kelp area, you're especially looking for silver.
  • Once you get 2 lead, make a lead radiation suit with the 4 kelp chunks
  • Once you find 1 silver and the coral and have unlocked the solar panels, make a habitat builder.
  • Make a temporary base using the habitat builder using 10 titanium, 1 glass, 2 quartz (foundation, 1 corridor, 1 solar panel, 1 hatch) near the lifepod. Make lockers (2 tit, 1 glass) to store your stuff and get rid of those crappy floating ones. Note: you can build solar panels underwater and they seem to work fine.
  • The Aurora should have exploded by now. Head in that direction, continuing to break limestone and scan anything you come across.
  • When you find the dropoff where it starts to get deep and there are pillars with red kelp on top, and you find 3 more silver ore, go sideways until you find a kelp forest. Build your first "real" base here overlooking the cliff and near the kelp. I'd suggest 1 foundation, 1 X corridor and a hatch on the one side and 2 general purpose rooms stacked on top of each other on another side. Put down some solar panels, build and place a fabricator inside, line the walls of the X with your lockers and make this your new main base. You'll want to find seaglide blueprints in the kelp area.
  • Gather enough materials to make 2 alien containments and put them in the stacked general purpose rooms. Put at least 2 airsacks and 2 reginalds in there and let them breed. Also put a creepvine cluster in there and let it grow. that'll solve your food+water problems for the immediate future.
  • Explore the aurora by heading towards roughly the middle. Bring your welder. There's a trench leading to a hole in the side. Weld what you need to weld, There are 2 modules to be found so do that and leave the way you came in. You can also find reginalds in the trench if you haven't found them yet.
  • Explore up and down the aurora on the flat plains, plunder all those emergency chests and scan everything you find. Look for oddly shaped pieces of scrap and scan those as well. You'll want to focus on the blood kelp pillar area until you find all the seamoth pieces and the battery charger.
  • Once you get the modification station, make your o2 bank bigger and pick one of the fin upgrades (I like speed fins, but a lot of ppl like charge fins). Think about swapping your radiation suit for a stilsuit
  • Make the vehicle bay so you can make a seamoth and make the moonpool so you can dock your seamoth. From there, explore the different areas and unlock blueprints and always keep a lookout for deeper chunks you can break open for that sweet, sweet silver.
  • Eventually you're run across the floating island, explore the thing and grab some fruit, once you have a potted plant you make sure you add that to your base. Eventually, unlock the cyclops, build and outfit it.
  • You win! Explore all the other areas and continue to unlock / make modifications to the vehicles so you can explore deeper coordinates you find in chests

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 9, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I want glass X and Y corridors.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The game has ~10h until you hit the early access wall, imo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't think you can deconstruct the fabricators on the other lifepods you find, which is total bullshit if they let you deconstruct the one in yours.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's kinda dumb that i can get the schematics for the upgrade station and the Cyclops before i can get the moonpool. The current messages / sensor beacons that lead you around need some work.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
WTF do you even use the knife for except for getting plant cuttings, who cares how strong it is.

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been slowly gathering up the materials (not to mention courage) to take a stab at the Aurora. I have the seaglide, laser cutter, and 2/3 of the seamoth fragments. Do I really need the propulsion gun to explore the Aurora? I seem to see equal numbers of posts claiming one way or the other, and it may be something that's changed with patches.
You absolutely need the propulsion cannon to punt some boxes out of the way of both entrances to the internals. You need a laser cutter to get at the prawn suit and storage upgrade. You can explore a bit without the cannon and pick up a PDA but most of the stuff is locked behind it.

You can get the cannon recipe from inside all the little boxes scattered about the aurora area (and in other areas in general sometimes). If they're open on one side they sometimes have a scanable part.

Cicadalek posted:

Also, does anyone know how to get into this room in the Aurora wreck?
The wiki says you can't yet. It's for a future patch and contains the rocket launch pad (that they talk about in the aurora data after you download it) which presumably ends the game when built.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

You absolutely don't need anything but a scanner, a welder and a radiation suit to get into the Aurora.

You can just enter from the back of the ship, run through the fire above the first part with a bunch of boxes stopping you and drop down. You take about thirty damage.
Not any more you can't, there are now boxes blocking the way. you angle down towards the cargo bay and there are a heap of large boxes (that you can't jump over) that were added, positioned right in front of the door. They were added presumably with the coffee and castles patch.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh I guess I imagined it when I played through it this weekend, did you start a new game recently?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The entrance on the side of the aurora used to lead directly into the engine room but it was closed off in the same patch that added all the internal bits like the lab and prawn bay. The only two entrances now are the one below (leading to the laboratory) and the one above (labeled airlock) leading to a T where you go left into cargo and right into a small office. The entrance up high is accessible from below by going up the ramp and then along a thin curved beam with a box on it which leads around fiery wreckage.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is embarrassing but I didn't know you could run. :blush:

You didn't used to be able to while playing in 3d, I guess they fixed it at some point and I kind of forgot it existed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm still confused why you all are trying to knife fight a stalker instead of just running away like a sane person. It takes a dozen hits and the shark pretty much just runs away after you slash it once, you'd literally have to chase the thing down and killing it provides no benefit whatsoever :wtc:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Aurora boxes?!" Turtlicious kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against bookshelves. he kramers against endlessmonotony's toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a texture seam and falls out of the map you think you hear him exclaim "I'm an rear end in a top hat too, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't really get it but I still had a giggle good post mate :hfive:
it's just one of our in-house memes https://www.google.com/#q=site:forums.somethingawful.com+kramers+in+the+door+and+just+keeps+kramering

Looks like my subnautica adventure is done for this patch, it's consistently crashing on me when it tries to load up objects, the logs say something about long delays and trying to de-cache resources. Could be the 20 hours on the save that's the culprit, it's OK, I'll explore the depths next patch. They still need to do a VR pass and make things like the compass and text at the bottom of the screen work. Also undocking seamoth/prawn from the cyclops spawns you in the game world where you last docked, not where the cyclops is on un-docking. All these are known bugs in trello, just need to wait for them to fix it!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

The dick-waving dipshittery never gets old, oh boy :jerkbag:

Anyway, is there even a halfway decent, readable map to where poo poo is? Getting lost in the dark on the ocean floor looking for a hole to progress isn't fun anymore.
I like this one, and just ignore all the pointless info on the right side of it

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/7/7e/595137118_preview_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161126033628

Xibanya posted:

I was having a great time in Subnautica and then at about the 9 hour mark my game crashes no matter how many times I load it or reboot. I saw upthread someone saying something about deleting temp files, anybody got more specifics on that?
never tried it myself, but what people recommend is clearing your cache via this guide
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818789065

then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\Saved Games\

Find which slotXXXX folder has your saved game data and then go into your CellsCache folder and delete everything in it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just want to say, I still love your avatar and text. :allears:
so glad it brings people joy, even 10 years later :shobon:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sadly, no updates or fixes to the myriad of VR bugs :smith:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Taima posted:

So how close is the current version of the game to "the full experience"?

I want to play it but if it's going to be way better in 6 months, I'll continue waiting.
The first 5-10 hours (assuming you don't park yourself on the wiki / look at a map) are pretty solid and done except for small lingering bugs. The end game doesn't exist yet. All the content and future roadmap for the game is to flesh out the later parts; by and large they seem happy with where the early-mid game is right now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Truga posted:

If you're a big dumb baby like me you'll spend 30 hours building your base and never leave the shallows tho, except to get upgrades for cooler base modules :v:
I wish I could put glass on everything. Disappointed you can't put a hatch on the top/sides of a glass corridor.

The latest thing I've been doing is a 4 stack of multipurpose rooms, with the alien containments on the bottom. If you put glass windows on the sides of the bottom one and the middle, you can sort of see out and it feels really open. That makes your floor a habitat, I just wish I could make the roof be transparent as well :shobon:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 3, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Has anyone explored the new content? Is there anything that you can "get" like unlocking teleport pairs to speed journeys or is it just kinda neat stuff to look at right now? Last patch added 2x strength ion batteries, IRC.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Fish just attack and you get to do nothing and like it? if you go to put out fires they just keep attacking? How is this possibly fun in the slightest? I honestly can't even think of a way to make it fun, just tedious.

Can't wait to drive through a bunch of sharks screaming "oh, just piss off" as they bounce against me while I flank speed to get to where I'm going faster

I do really like that environmental ping though!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And I'm frustrated as hell by the inability to hide that ship namer and color thing, it's bright and annoying when the lights are off why won't you just cloooooseeeeeee

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Straight from the devs mouth:
"sorry sorry im trying to remove it"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

emoji posted:

Why make up obvious false lies to prove your point about being hypothetically bad at the game? The cyclops is 5 plasteel, 5 enameled glass, some lube, and one chip. That's 10 minutes of work if you know how to get stalker teeth.
:goonsay:

Presumably you stuck a replicator in there and a bunch of lockers filled with god knows what and of course the upgrades while we're pretending scavenging for more resources is the issue we're discussing

Thanks for kramering in with belligerent opinions buddy, why don't you see yourself out

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The draw distance is just a tweakable option; if you optimize the engine you can set the distance out farther without things becoming a slideshow. Pop-ins have the same cause and so general engine optimizations should makes things pop faster (hopefully before you're literally on top of them)

I completely believe they have an optimization pass planned. I remember NS2 ran like hot garbage until they spent a month optimizing it up to playability, so this exact thing happened in their last game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh thank you VR jesus, they finally did a pass and fixed all the outstanding VR bugs, I don't even care about the colossus now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I started a new game today and the early game silver issue is muuuuuuch smoother with cpu using gold. You can get pretty much everything you need for all the basic equipment and tools from safe shallows and the kelp forest 100m away now. A+.

The radio explicitly says "go check this lifepod out" and so it's a much more breadcrumb experience to scan wrecks, and the first two make you swim over wrecks with the seamoth and seaglide pieces.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I realized what this game really needs is dedicated resource storage bins. Something smaller than a battery charger that can hold XXX of a single resource.

Having 10+ lockers filled with materials makes it a pain when you're trying to do large scale operations.
This would be amazing. They could repurpose that small wall locker that no one has ever built ever. An additional huge quality of life thing would be the ability for the fabricator to pull from adjacent lockers or all lockers within the habitat or cyclops.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This whole saga solidifies my opinion that forums are garbage piles full of uninformed bad opinion and devs should never, ever listen to a word of any single one of them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tbf, our enameled glass is literally made from bone shark teeth

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

So? Look at how alloys work... Copper and tin are both very weak/soft metals, but combine to form tin bronze, which is much stronger/durable than both. A copper/tin weapon would do almost nothing to a bronze armor.
:rolleyes: i'm not having a "this isn't realistic" discussion in a game that has magic fabricators and the ability to carry enough material in your swimsuit to construct a giant sub, again, out of thin air

I'm just saying it makes sense in game logic if you take a material from a creature and make something with it, that creature will have the ability to damage it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

However a nuclear space submarine from the future shouldn't be damaged by slightly oversized barracudas.
Whether it should or shouldn't is entirely up to the gameplay. I don't disagree that they likely went in the wrong direction with the colossus, but as I started a new game this patch I haven't built one yet to see how bad it is in person. I don't think I leave it in dangerous areas in general though; it's not like reapers are "guarding" anything you need to get to and if what the devs say is true than it can't even be damaged when you aren't inside it. It probably just adds tedium.

What I DO think is bad is that you now get all these upgrades from lifepod info caches, way, way before you can get the modification station to actually use them (given logical game progression through message breadcrumbs)

e: and the PDA that actually leads you to the jelly shroom cave to continue the story and has the mod station is on a floating island path away from the habitats and so very easily missed

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Still angry you can't close the panel that lets you change the color / name. WHY ARE YOU SO BRIGHT IN VR WHEN I TURN THE INTERNAL LIGHTS OFF

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I expect if Subnautica was moddable, then we'd get the Realistic Calorie Consumption Mod.

Somehow, someone would go through the pain to establish all these realistic data modules on energy output per hr, and then say we need to eat twice as often in game because 'realistic' survivor.
That would be great because then the people who enjoy that sort of thing will be happy and the devs wouldn't feel they have to implement ideas to make only a small, vocal segment happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is not a 100 hour game and trying to play it over and over like one isn't going to increase your enjoyment. Judging from the plot that's already there It's looking like a 15-20 hour experience with a static plot and a specific end goal without a ton of replayability.

It's going to be plenty of fun for people who haven't been obsessively installing and playing every patch.