Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

The first thing you should do is rush the big and the small sub.
You can dock the small sub in the big one, and even build stuff in it. Storage and stuff. It acta amazing as a mobile base and has it's own constructor.

Counterpoint: the big sub is slow, too big and a pain in the rear end to keep powered (takes 6 power cells). I'd just focus on the little one and grab a solar upgrade when you get the moon pool. Apparently they're planning on adding stuff to recharge the big sub in the next major update so maybe it'll be more useful at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

i cannot for the loving life of me find any goddamn cyclops bridge fragments. i've got just about everything else scanned and unlocked (including the pressure compensator for the cyclops) but i have never even seen one of the bridge fragments. do they look any different than the hull/engine fragments? i checked the coral forest where the wiki says they can appear but nothing :smith:

I'm pretty sure I found mine in the dunes, not the mushroom forest. Try looking there. Maybe they're more likely to spawn in that area. That or it was blind luck.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Its such a great game. Theres grind but the gameplay and worldbuilding are so fun it's relatively easy to enjoy anyway. It could be VRs first really killer game. Just makes it all the more frustrating waiting for the fixes.

Have they done anything about the HUD yet? Last time I tried it in VR (about 6 months ago) the inventory was rendered so close to your face that it was extremely difficult to focus on, and the health meters were partially obscured by the bottom left corner of the scuba mask almost outside the field-of-view. It ended up giving me a headache and I went back to playing it on my regular monitor.

Actually looking around the environment was great, but it seemed like they'd just flicked the switch in Unity settings to enable HMDs and put no other effort into it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Even without motion controls it's fine in VR on a gamepad... just the inventory (and any UI for that matter) is completely unusable. I mean, you can technically use it, but if you can use it for longer than 5 minutes without getting a headache you're doing better than me. It's annoying because it seems like it would take literally half an hour for a dev to fix.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I keep thinking about engineering a clipper for maneuverability and shields. It should get over 500 shield with prismatic right? Id have to mess with the power plant.

Its just so fast and pretty. Would a hull tank work better though?

The clipper is never going to be all that manoeuvrable imo, it's a big ship, it just happens to go fast. Also I'd suggest posting in the correct thread for better advice!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Where should I make a base?

Where do I find lithium

You can make bases wherever - they're not too expensive. In my post 1.0 run I only made one in the shallows, then once I was in the depths (<900m) I pretty much just used my cyclops as a mobile base. With the thermal generator it essentially had infinite power down there as the ambient temperature was warm enough to always be charging. I did make sure to take all the poo poo I needed though, like the accessible materials required for the thermal generator mod, which I built down there. It would have been a major hassle to keep going up and down in that thing. I also fitted my mod station to the cyclops so I could craft the mk2+ depth mods for cyclops and prawn.

There was a poo poo-ton of lithium nodes in the caves on the island with the QEP (the big gun) for me. Plenty of shale outcrops for other rare-ish materials like diamond too.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I don't have a scanner room or any vehicles

The jellyshroom cave is scary and I had to use like 30 pipes to get air down there

I'd suggest building a starting base near the surface where you can easily place solar panels without much infrastructure. I like next to the area with vines because both the resources are 4x4 so you don't want to have to store too many. You can always build others later if you want.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

double nine posted:

is the end-game content still prawn suit-only?

You'll want it to harvest the large nodes, but I can't think of anything that absolutely requires it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I managed alright - there were some tight spots, but the external cameras got me through.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone else think it's an oversight that you can't build a nuclear reactor on the cyclops? Late-game you have the thermal and efficiency modules, so you end up with a bunch of extra power cells left over from mid-game when it was necessary to swap them constantly. A nuclear-powered option would be a nice stopgap.

You actually used to be able to build solar panels on the cyclops, I don't think nuclear reactors existed at the time. They removed it, so no it's not an oversight, it's 100% intentional.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Just take another route, there are several.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not saying there aren't bugs - there clearly are, but I've put about 70 hours into this game since early access, completing it three times, and the only bug I ever experienced was clipping thorough a certain part of the aurora once. I was able to swim right back in though, it wasn't what I'd call game breaking.

Reading some of the posts here it sounds like the whole thing falls apart every 5 minutes, but I think that's only for a small percentage of players. Save often just in case and you should be fine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I wasn't saying don't get angry at bugs, though I will say that now: try not to get angry at bugs, it's pointless and doesn't affect anyone but you.

I was saying that people who didn't get horrible bugs generally aren't going to come and post about it in the same way that people who did will. So while there clearly are game breaking bugs, and they're more frequent than anyone wants, they are disproportionately represented itt. It's entirely possible to play through the game multiple times without seeing any.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

uPen posted:

The PS4 version was another matter.

Fair point, I should say that all my playtime was on PC.

Shame that the PS4 port sucks, it's a lot less forgivable having pop-in issues on a console, which is a relatively static target, performance-wise.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Peachy Poo posted:

Is there any sort of consensus on how this game plays in VR? I remember looking into it last year when I had a headset, and I think reactions were mixed. Been thinking about buying it lately though, but it seems like a game that could really benefit from VR, so if it's actually good with it I'd probably rather just hold off until I have a headset again.

The UI, i.e. health, oxygen indicators and inventory, is rendered about an inch from your face which made it completely unplayable to me. Some people don't have an issue with it but it gave me a headache. Really frustrating as it'd probably only take 5 minutes to fix if they could be bothered.

The environments look pretty great though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jawnycat posted:

There is Breathedge, tho I have not looked at it in awhile so no idea if it's actually good ahahaha. It's tone is extremely comedic tho, for good or ill. It's sitting in my library till it hits 1.0, just like Below Zero.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

I enjoyed it. The humour is a bit hit-or-miss (mostly miss for me) and it's not quite got the same polish as subnautica, but it still hits the spot. They haven't finished the story yet, but probably 2/3rds of it is there, and it's episodic so the early parts are fully playable and self-contained.

If you're looking for subnautica in space I'd definitely recommend.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

khy posted:

Personally I like Epic BECAUSE it's not Steam. I don't get spammed with a thousand lovely low-quality asset flips or 'curators' who recommend lovely hentai games because of cartoon tits.

Personally, I dislike epic store because they're incredibly anti-consumer, and want to kill a platform I own hundreds of games on by exploiting their enormous wallet rather than by being better in any way. I don't really care steam sells games I'm not interested in, I actually see that as a good thing.

I liked outer wilds a lot, but playing it didn't feel anything like subnautica to me.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

people talk about the game because its memorable. but to pretend its not a buggy mess is to deny reality

Clearly a lot of people experience terrible issues with this game, but I've completed it multiple times across several hardware configurations (all relatively high-end) and I don't think I've ever experienced a bug I'd call game-breaking. I think the worst thing that's happened is a reaper once pushing my seamoth partly into the landscape which ended up catapulting it out of the map.

I fully accept, judging from this thread over the years, I've just been lucky, but the game is not a buggy mess for everyone.

I still can't play the VR mode due to silly UI issues. That's not really a bug, but I guess you could call it game-breaking.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

zzMisc posted:

For the uninitiated, all you really need to know is that there's a dedicated 'piss' button. It's a fundamental mechanic that, when aimed properly at the toilet, turns excess hydration into random resources, for reasons. This is a fundamental mechanic you pretty much have to use to move forward.

This isn't true at all, I've played through the entire game in the last patch and didn't once piss in a toilet.

The humour is very bad, but you can just ignore the voice-overs and it's a very subnautica adjacent game. That other poster is right about the tools though - they break quite fast and you have to remake them, but it doesn't take much effort to do so.

It's definitely not as good as Subnautica, but I've played through Subnautica about 5 times at this point, and BZ several times. If you want more, this is the closest you're going to get right now.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

That game is trying SO HARD to get sales via "Subnautica in space" marketing, which you see all over the positive reviews. And then you check the negative reviews...

Yeah, if that kind of puerile thing irritates you, definitely don't play the game.

I played through the new content last night myself, and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's a pretty strange choice to give you base building so far into the game, then a few hours later effectively render it pointless. Though ironically, this is how I usually play Subnautica - build a base to get tech'd up, then build a cyclops and abandon it. The later sections aren't really on-rails, besides some scripted events and a fairly lengthy sequence at the very end, but it doesn't feel much like the early game at all.

I think the devs lacked a good vision, which is a shame because with a few tweaks it could have been pretty good. There are some bizarre design decisions. Like there are a number of corridors that just weave back and forth in a very small area, that you have to walk down several times. Why? This adds nothing to the game other than 2-3 minutes of tedium, and could trivially be replaced by a much shorter, direct corridor. I think the early access process didn't work well at all here, there are palpable breaks in gameplay style for each of the big content releases they did.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Checking the cameras constantly would make things even slower

You can still move while looking through the cameras and they give you an unobstructed view up or down. The only things you can't do are interact with the cyclops modules or change engine power, etc. which are really the only reasons to not be using the cameras temporarily.

Once you understand how the leviathans aggro works, they don't pose any significant risk to the cyclops, so it's a practically indestructible movable base with infinite power in the depths, assuming you have the thermal generator installed. It is a bit of a pain to get it down there and back up again though. Fortunately there are teleporters all over the lower areas, so you only really need to go through once.

I think one of the strengths of the original game is how it doesn't force you to play a specific way though. I watched a speedrun once where they never use any of the vehicles besides the seaglide. Two upgraded tanks gives you plenty of air to reach the endgame areas if you know where you're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
...but the first two Subnautica games are already built in Unity?