Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I really enjoyed losing 4 hours because my game crashed on hardcore mode right after I had found everything to start base building and the sea truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Plek posted:

Why do people still play on hardcore after all the apparent bugs resulting in deaths? Just restart when you die, there is no other difference.

Because I wasn't aware there were apparent bugs resulting in deaths and I prefer not having a warning pop up every single time I get near zero oxygen. I haven't been keeping up with the thread to avoid spoilers, and I assumed that they took it out of early access due to it being pretty bug free.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Given the time it took to push this out I don't think it's realistic but I'd like a world map that is freaking huge to justify putting a couple different bases down. I liked BZ well enough even if it did feel like a slight step back from the original, but I'd really like to see a reason to drop a base 1km down other than vanity. Also bring back the cyclops. I don't want to tool around in a seamoth with extra steps for my main exploration vehicle, I want a submarine where I'm rushing back and forth to fix leaks from the leviathan that just thrashed me for not being careful. Grab, zap, and go had zero tension for me and was only in one smallish area anyway.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol yep: prawn suit, grapple hook, drill. Don't fear the Reaper.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You pointed out two-three things in your post to follow up on regarding where to go/what to do next so I don't know if I'd say the breadcrumb trail has gone cold.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did they explain why if Sam had the antidote why she didn't just inject the leviathan with it and instead suicide bombed the entrance or whatever to no effect other than killing herself and that other dude?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I tried to do a run where I limited the character to only eating mushrooms or other non creature foods and also not using bladder fish for water until I slammed the sea truck into a bunch of fish on the way back from a trip and said gently caress it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Now I'm sitting here on my throne fashioned out of sea monkey skulls...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Are there any mods for the OG that substantially mix it up enough that it would be worth another playthrough?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think a vast map with a reason to build several bases would be awesome as a way to mark your progress whether lateral and/or vertical.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The Oz plants were one of the few things I thought bz did right. I could push further on and hope for an oxygen plant or run back to the surface or whatever.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I liked that aspect actually. Made me feel like I was piloting a vessel designed for more people but it's just me so I gotta adapt.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

One of them followed me into the shallows and I don't know if it got stuck or what but you're on my turf now ya big bastard let me introduce you to the prawn grappling hook and drill. Or maybe I hooked on it and that's why it ended up in the shallows who cares the important thing is don't respect nature and punch it in the face. I'm pretty sure that was the game's message.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh yeah that's the one I shot with the grappling hook and drilled until it was laid to rest on some rocks shallow enough to have most of it's corpse above ground. Don't come at me like that fool.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If the environment is trying to kill you, kill it back harder.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Never underestimate the vocality of idiot loving gamers on the internet.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sealab 2021 the MMO WHEN

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They better let me build an Adrienne Barbeaubot.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah y'all getting this rear end backwards and what is cool and good would be to have larger areas that the cyclops can cruise on through and sure dock a sea moth why not. The sea truck kinda sucks.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's more of the same just not as good. Might want to put a little space between the two games. The QoL updates are good.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oasx posted:

I once bumped into the Cyclops, and it was teleported several kilometers away, far outside the map.

Did you swim out to retrieve it?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So did a bunch of people. That's part of the knock against the game and clear evidence that they changed writers partway through.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

My main problem with it was what felt like the lack of exploration and zones feeling really condensed. In the first one, I fumbled around until I made a big trip out to the aurora or something in a seamoth, and then would load up the cyclops later for an expedition that might run me into reapers. I never got that sense in BZ of actually needing to prepare for a trip in advance or that I was making a *journey* somewhere.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Breathedge sucks rear end. I slogged through a lot of it hoping that the cool base building part would ever happen. Nope, just build some required modules and abandon the whole thing. Humor was not good, and I gave up when I hit a bunch of boring back and forth fetch quest poo poo.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

And also if they made the water biomes a lot larger along with giving me a drat cyclops.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lmao if you think a virus is gonna take down Marguerite.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The hole in the plot is because Marguerite put her fist through it.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 5, 2022

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That is the correct perspective and I'm glad you came to the objectively correct conclusion. Capital M is just up in there like "You're a disease, and I'm the cure."

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Same. It was more Subnautica, more condensed environments, and it didn't have the same magic but it was still fun. Cyclops was better than the sea truck tho.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

In this game there should be a precious resource on the desert planet that people fight over, to create conflict. Maybe we can give it a cool one-word name like Desert or perhaps some other sand-related word that starts with the letter D

Welcome... to Dirt

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I still don't even get some of the later plot. Sister goes and sets a bomb off near the frozen leviathan, despite having the cure, and kills herself and the security person. Why do that? Why is the path clear to the leviathan after a bomb was set off in the cave? Unless I missed something, none of that makes sense.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I installed a couple mods and when I would walk to a certain point in the engine room the game would glitch to high hell and launch the cyclops to the maximum depth in the game world where I would need to watch it slowly implode. Good stuff. I do like the "run around and patch holes in your beat to poo poo and flooding sub" gameplay.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I leave leviathans alone, except for one that seems to always start poo poo over by the red grassland area. Usually lasso that prick and drill to death while riding it into the shallows.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't think a box that pulls materials you've stored from other boxes is removing anything but tedium and nowhere near making yourself immortal. That's a weird take.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's an unusual joy but it's not any more weird than Marie Kondo is. No need to be insulting dude

Saying I think an opinion is weird is not insulting. That's a weird take as well, dude.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Breathedge really loving sucks. Bad writing, purposely wasting your time, whole thing is just a slog which gets worse the longer you play.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Careful with the cyclops docking mod. If you are near a cliff and the auto park kicks in, it can freeze your game. I lost a lot of progress due to that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If you ever need an HR guy with a professional certification, let me know.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

withak posted:

I would be perfect for all of those jobs, but first you need to tell me what the next game in the Subnautica universe will be.

Subnautica 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Marguerit is an inescapable force of nature.