Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I was kind of skeptical when I first heard what UW was doing, but man this looks great now. I really hope this does well for them when it makes it's way out of early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I bit. (it is a fishing joke)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Very zen.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
40% off for the next few days on Steam.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It may be a bug, but I think it works to help the gameplay. Better get that habitation going before too long buddy! I think they might put in tethers later so it might become a moot point.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Brick Shipment posted:

Sweet thanks, that's all I needed to hear in regard to aquariums.
And as this is singleplayer I assume no time passes when you close the game?

Time passes while you're looking at the PDA, not in the menus or out of game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Apparently in the new experimental patch, which includes a new intro where you have to grab the fire extinguisher and put out a fire in the pod, if you repair the sparking panel the status screen changes to say the "Gravity Anchor" is back online. I don't know if that means anything yet, but it seems like it might in the long term.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Azhais posted:

That's the seabassmoth

Think he means the SeaGlide, which takes 2 fragments and is under the Deployable section of the fabricator. It's a nifty little sea scooter with a light and a topographical map.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Adorn your body with your greatest fears. (subnautica shirt design)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

I haven't played in awhile, are the other leviathans in yet or just the reaper still?

Next creatures going in seem to be the

Sea Treaders

Crabsquid

Warpers

Lava Lizards

Spine Eels

Man I like UW's concept work.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, their artists are fantastic.

I hope they consider dropping the depth of the shallows and increasing the size of the map somewhat if they're going to add sea treaders, the first few biomes already feel really crowded.

I think the Sea Treaders get their own mini Biome that's basically a worn path running through the zones on the west side of the map.

Also their gimmick seems to be you need to follow them around and collect their poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5o2W4fc0Hs

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ughhhh posted:

Built a base in the shallows to experiment. Was really excited and made a a two storied base using two multipurpose rooms stacked up on each other. Started placing glass windows on the second floor to make a nice observation room. Last window i placed led to the whole thing flooding. All that work..... :negative:

Is there a way to salvage a sea base that has been constructed? I frantically tried to remove the windows with the habitat builder, but that obviously didn't work.

You need to get the strength value in the positive again and then repair all the holes with a welder. Most new parts add structural weakness. Bulkheads and Reinforced paneling boost it. Either remove windows and other stuff until it's positive or build strengtheners.

Alternatively you could deconstruct everything and get the materials back.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PowderKeg posted:

Built my first base, couldn't get it powered. Swam around for a couple of hours in the kelp forests and couldn't find a single solar panel plan to scan. Built a bioreactor, but when I went to get the required mold sample, the knife and laser cutter didn't break anything off of the mushroom tree.

I remember base powering being MUCH easier a few builds ago..

You need to break the big mushroom caps for samples right now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PowderKeg posted:

With the basic knife? I stabbed away at them and nothing seemed to break off.

Make sure you were cutting the caps, not the stems. They should break up into pieces that you can collect.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Solar is found in the Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest. You only need two fragments so keep searching.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Vargs posted:

This game is really cool, but will probably be much cooler when it is actually finished. Just wait imo.

Yeah, all the early access caveats apply here. I kinda like seeing it grow personally.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

lilspooky posted:

Have the devs stated what their eventual plans for the game are? The website doesn't seem to have much info, nor does the steam page(s). Overall I enjoy the game as I'm a scuba and ocean nerd. Happy to have picked it up on sale, just curious what we might expect to see.

I know they plan to move all the tech upgrades to chunks of ship wreckage that act kind of like mini underwater dungeons. I think the overall plan is to have you start out surviving, explore and find wrecks, figure out why ships that approach the planet explode, and tech up enough to build an escape vessel.

You can track a lot of the bits and pieces of this on the developer's Trello account.

https://trello.com/unknownworlds

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

A new zone called "Lost River"

Lost River should be pretty neat. It's a super deep zone where some sort of dense chemical mix forms an underwater river. I think it's inspired by the deep sea super dense brine pools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZD2STt_OU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

The players starting suit is basically magic in terms of it's ability to withstand pressure, made of future sci-fi materials designed to protect completely from g-forces in particular but all sources of pressure in general. I imagine it's using some sort of crazy gravity tech, similar to what the pod uses as an anchor and what the propulsion gun uses to manipulate stuff, but to a much finer level of detail and manufacturing than you can manage on planet.

It's only magic right now. In the future, for extreme depths and temperatures you're going to need the Exosuit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bridge fragments seem to be in the Mushroom Forest/Dunes on the western side of the map.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Make a compass. Although the Aurora is east/northeast of your escape pod before then.

To be more specific, I don't think the option to craft a compass shows up unless you retrieve a piece of magnetite from the northern mountain biome. It's pretty easy to find since you can just surface and look for the mists obscuring the mountain island.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 23, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I've had depopulation occur even without killing any fish for food (playing in Freedom mode), and even among apex predators. I sometimes see blood appear when Stalkers move through creepvine, so maybe they've been killing themselves.

The game also seems to do some strange things with how fragments show up in the world. I've swum around sections and not found any fragments, then when I get in the Seamoth and turn on the lights, fragments will suddenly appear in the middle of the water and start sinking to the ocean floor.

Small prey species tend to get eaten by the predators.

Predators AND prey can die to environmental hazards.

I remember cruising around in my Seamoth and finding like a dozen dead Scuttlebugs floating on the surface of the water. Directly below them was a geothermal vent connected to 2 or 3 cave systems. They had wandered out of the caves and gotten roasted one by one. Similarly I lost a couple of decorative Stalkers outside my observation windows when they chased their scrap metal toys into nests of Hanging Stingers.

About the only creatures guaranteed to survive are Gasopods. They tend to stick near the surface and have enough natural defenses to ward off anything. Actually they tend to be another source of dead fish since even Rabbit Rays will cause them to panic and bomb the surroundings.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Can anything kill a reefback?

I think the player can, they just kinda sadly crumble into bits like a cookie. If a floater happens to attach to one, they spin wildly out of control which is pretty funny.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Are you scanning all the cyclops bits over by the border between the eastern Mushroom Forest and the Dunes? There don't seem to be specific models for each part, just all parts in a certain area are "Cyclops [x] Fragment"s.

Also it's annoying when you finally scan the 3rd bridge piece and it sticks at 99%.

Pretty sure you just need to reload your save when that happens.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The newest experimental revision really changes up how the game plays. Now fragments only spawn in wrecks, lifepods and near the Aurora. I wouldn't necessarily switch over to experimental mode (I think every spawn point near the Aurora is set to Reapers Leviathans right now) but the next stable update should be a good time to start a new game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Welp, UW just made the early game like 10 times harder. No, I don't mean the fragment change. You know those giant coral tubes that are studded with limestone? All the nodes have been removed. You actually have to scrounge and cave to get copper now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, I'm probably going to make a big effort post on the forums soon and one of my points is that you absolutely need to start with enough to make a base from the start. Maybe a small bioreactor that takes 1 creepvine sample and 1 writhing weed tendril to make 50 power. Something crappy, but still good enough for you to get started.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think so.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Marzzle posted:

How's the progress coming?

The next stable build will be out mid April and include some pretty big changes. Most notably the scanner room and moving all the tech fragments to the wrecks and lifepods.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I just switched over to experimental and I'm liking getting fragments from wrecks better than pixel hunting over massive areas only to have nearly everything be for stuff you've already got the blueprint for.

I feel like my laser cutter isn't working the way it should, though. The cuttable panels are those slightly shiny ones with the red dots on one side, right? My cutter makes noises but doesn't do anything or drain its battery when I use it.

Cuttable doors are the ones that are blackened and dented and have a prompt come up when you mouse over them. Intact doors with a red light stay shut. Doors with a green light can be opened by hand unless they're blocked off by debris.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

That's less viable when the base is a quick tube down at the bottom of the grand reef that exists purely for oxygen purposes.

It takes a bit more prep, but you can set up a large aquarium and fill it with brain coral. Actually you could just setup an external planter and that would only take 2 titanium I think.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

How dangerous is the Reaper to the Cyclops? I know it can't directly damage it so far but I also know a Reaper got a hold of my seamoth and pushed it down below the terrain until it was destroyed by the depth.

Right now I don't think it can do anything. It might be able to accidentally knock you into the terrain which COULD open some holes, but actually attacking it is coming later as far as I know.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Kind of neat. Subnautica has partnered with GiveMeTap to make water bottles. 20% of each bottle goes to installing water pumps in various African countries.

http://www.givemetap.com/products/subnautica

Of course some pissbaby always has to try and rain on someones parade. Here's the second comment on the UW website.

quote:

Subnautica I hate to break it to you but you are another victim of one of the many "Help the Africans" causes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mister Bup posted:

Is there actually an endgame and stuff to this now? I played it maybe a year ago and it was fun for a few days but there was nothing to actually do once you had the big submarine aside from looking at the pretty biomes for a while. I also turned off the hunger and thirst since they were completely overbearing.

Would be neat on VR.

The endgame is building the best poster collection possible.

Seriously though, the end game isn't in yet but pieces of it are and it's looking like...
..you'll need to work on exploring and find all the upgrades necessary to A. Build a vehicle capable of getting you off planet and B. Explore the absolute depths of the ocean and navigate the remains of an Alien civilization in order to turn off whatever automated systems shot down the Aurora before you launch.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Subnautica : Why do I keep playing on Hardcore? :smith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I recently built the Cyclops and I really gotta say, it's a lot harder to drive than the Seamoth...

Now you know why people need special licenses to operate heavy machinery.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hit F8 in game to document it for the devs. It's an early access game after all.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Supposedly each level boosts the total amount of fish sustainable in a tank by 10, but in my 3-high I currently have something like 60 Spadefish swimming madly in some organic tornado.

I'm pretty sure tank capacity is actually infinite for holding fish (well it probably bugs out at some point) but fish will only breed within the 10 per tank limit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Met posted:

In the case of lockers, everything inside is deleted. It makes a good way of getting rid of excess items.

I was a bit bummed out to find rotten fish and random crap I put outside didn't go away ever.

Thankfully the new Bioreactor runs on anything organic you shove in it. Funnily enough, the most efficient power source is hatching large predators from eggs and then shoving the juveniles face first into the blender while they're still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Viperix posted:

On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

I would suggest at the edge of a biome transition with a decent sized cliff. You'll need that if you want to park the big sub close to your base easily.