Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh here's something kinda spoilery with some neat implications attached.

https://sketchfab.com/models/5fefbc2704c04fb8a9dfe4b1e8f7f171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

A ladder will go straight to the top if there's not intermediate levels.

I'm kind of scared of the day they add animations to ladders. My current base has a dozen floor vertical connector to the thermal vent level.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What do people even do with such large bases? I see pictures on reddit of these giant bases with tons of rooms and hallways. What do you even put in them?

I generally have a section with a large display tank for my fish collection (minus a few of the largest ones which look silly) surrounded by windows. A nice indoor garden area, often on top of the display tank, also with windows. I like to have at least one free breeding tank for making whatever as well as a dedicated one for feeder fish. Depending on power sources you may need to snake up for better light or down to get to the thermal vents. If you run on Biopower you might have some breeding tanks set aside for that. Then there's the obvious stuff like the Moonpool (maybe more than one when the Exosuit comes out), Scanner room, and fancy bedroom or office(very important if you need to meet with the Elven trade liaison). You may also have some outside platforms where you can grow underwater plant samples or useful crops like Acid Mushrooms and Jellysacs. And then you need the hallways to connect them in an artistically pleasing manner based on the local terrain.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TasogareNoKagi posted:

The explosion breached containment, so it was leaking radionuclei into the surrounding area. Then you fix containment and, uhm, the solution to pollution is dillution? :shrug:

That works since the radiation doesn't actually clear out for another couple of days.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

priznat posted:

Where can you find 1500m depth dives or is that just in the off the map abyss?

I've maxed out my seamoth's 900m doing that but not much of interest there.

The cyclops really needs some better sensors or something because it's lik piloting a building around right now.

Had an idea to build a giant cage structure using tube connectors and console spawn a couple leviathans in there and watch em fight.

There are several cavern biomes that start at like 1km depth. I'm not entirely sure where the connection points are. Just look for cave openings in the deeper biomes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Bhodi posted:

So I uh, I tried to dock my seamoth into the moonpool while it was draining and it ejected me and I fell down to the seafloor. It thinks I'm in my base because it's making clanking walking sounds but I'm on the surface. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it. Going to try and walk to find some quartz and make a little habitat that I get in/out in the hopes it'll trigger swimming again

are there any console commands I can use to force swim?

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

You'll probably want to use WARPME to send you to the last valid location visited.

If that doesn't work try RANDOMSTART to warp back to the escape pod. (note this will also teleport the pod to a different starting location)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
My current base perched around the rim of an active vent.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
More specifically I think you'll get a different prompt if you put your mouse over the floor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Met posted:

Checking out more Trello.

:saddowns:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Looks like the transfuser may be getting cut. There's no longer a "Transfuser" update and the card for implementation of the transfuser got moved to "Maybe".

I can understand that. The stuff you can do with it is neat, but it doesn't really slot into the overarching goal they have planned for release. A version of the game where it IS central would be kinda interesting though. Instead of building the Exo or subs, you have to run around sampling native creatures and genetically modifying yourself to the point you can swim in the extreme environments of the planet's core.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 21, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
pointless post

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Okan170 posted:

Is that a new glass roof section or has that always been there?

I think that's the top of the observatory module. There's still concept art for a glass roof and bottom for the multipurpose room though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Cool, the Reefbacks actually have their reefs now. :unsmith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Official update trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrSOzTJ8hU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

Haven't played since September and man I do like the latest update. I'm noticing a lot more polished flavor bits.

Also I got into a staring match with a mesmer just for the hell of it and son of a bitch it made my suit or PDA or whatever say all kinds of creepy poo poo. gently caress.

Does it still have the sound effect I will always associate with Rob Zombie?

https://soundcloud.com/kamakazi/mezmer-trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUcavDoSbYQ

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

Unfortunately I took screenshots with the ingame thing, so I'm not sure I can upload them anywhere. I'll either look around more or just go back. Probably with the Invisible cheat so I can get better shots.

I'm pretty sure in game screenshots are just in a folder somewhere.

Gimme a minute.

Yeah they're under your save slot folder.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They left the door open for MAYBE doing a 1.5 expansion thing like Don't Starve With Friends. Base game is single player only.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Scoss posted:

Ended up buying the game and have been enjoying it. It does indeed run like crap on my decent machine but not outright unstable yet.

One problem I am running into though is that I seem to have exterminated all the fish around my hab, and I need to swim further and further out just to catch bladderfish for basic water needs. Will they ever respawn?

Things killed by you stay dead. Things killed by the environment or other creatures respawn. You are loving up the ecosystem mang. Try investing in sustainable aquaculture. (make an alien containment, put in live bladderfish and let em breed)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The people who said fog weren't trying to justify anything, there is literally fog covering the islands so you can't see them. You can still look for the fog itself because it doesn't blend into the background perfectly though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
ARTSY FARTSY

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/13/subnautica-flora-artwork/

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yall are being ridiculously hyperbolic. "A couple mosquitos" aren't gonna take out your cyclops. Even in the demo, before they make any adjustments based on playtesting, he had to spawn in several mid level predators, get them angry and intentionally let them gnaw on the ship to show off the system. He was also using a console command to damage the sub at the same time. Let your voice be heard since we're still in the Beta, but freaking out like this just makes you look dumb/crazy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Funnily enough, the red texts from Negrotown are almost exclusively bought by someone who hates the idea of the thread/forum existing and is just trying to stir up infighting.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Section Z posted:

It's always a really, really bad sign for a game's development when multiple Goons start namedropping me as a good example of issues rundowns :ohdear: It would be a more pleasant reality if my ramblings were way off base, rather than not often cynical enough :v:

But yeah, draw distances are pretty jarring and actually detract from what little sense of "alone in the abyss" I'd have. The realization that lovely draw distances were why I couldn't see surfaces I turned out to be practically on top of just killed it for me.

It's particularly janky when you watch part of the super pretty and nice looking light up mushroom biome just blink off and on like a lightswitch past certain distance thresholds, but at least in that case it's usually far enough away to not matter (Except when cruising around looking for the opening that would have bright sunlight highlight it hidden by drawdistance void). An open world six degrees of motion style game only serves to highlight these shortcomings you could more readily get away with in a landlocked game, and wringing your hands saying stuff like "But water diffuses light!" only goes so far.

Mostly though, it's the island visibility and creature pop-in that gets me. I wonder how long until people start claiming that reapers also have an alien cloaking device, like is often tossed around as a fanfiction excuse for the largest land masses in the game having worse visibility than Superman 64.

Except the islands aren't a matter of draw distance They're literally hidden by a layer of fog for gameplay reasons. You can still see where they are if you know what to look for, but the devs don't want you seeing them as soon as you surface.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

New feature! Machine lifeforms!

...the experimental mode has some texture errors right now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They stick around, but once they're full sized, which happens immediately upon release, they act like a normal version of that creature. If you want to swim with a friendly Boneshark, you have to do it with juveniles inside the big tanks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh hey. Looks like "Subnautica with Friends" is still on the table.

https://twitter.com/Flayra/status/850497326288326656

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would they do that.

They finally put those constant demands to rest.

What are they thinking?

It's not like they're adding it to 1.0 at the last second. This is for post release. Either as free or paid DLC or a standalone MP version.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
At least they have a definite end for the game in the form of getting offplanet. Too many other sandbox games just go "Uhh I guess you'll die at some point and that's the end?"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Even if they did nothing else and left it as is for the rest of time, I think 50% off the preorder price is a bargain. I paid full and don't regret it at all.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Y'all are still overreacting. I took my cyclops down to the Lost River through the narrow Blood Kelp trench. The were sections where I scrapped against a wall for like 30 seconds trying to get through and each time there was only 1 small tear that needed to be fixed afterwards.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Xibanya posted:

I clear my cache whenever the game gets laggier than usual (probably every 6 hours of playtime) so I haven't seen for myself, but does the fauna you kill ever come back? Do you eventually depopulate areas? If so that kinda sucks.

Stuff killed by you stays dead. Stuff killed by the environment or alien lifeforms is supposed to repop. The idea being to force you farther afield if you're relying on hunting. Note that you can also breed new fish and release them if you want activity out your window.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You know, if you're going to set up a base a kilometer underground at the bottom of a superdense poisonous brinefall overlooking a volcanic zone, you should probably remember to pack a LEAST one Creepvine Seed. Almost every powersource requires lubricant and the one that doesn't requires sunlight. Ohh well, I guess I'll spiderman my way back up to the surface and get one. I suppose I should also grab other farming essentials like acid mushrooms and gelsacks. I guess Table Coral too since that's surface only.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 30, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fperson1 posted:

From what I remember, gelsacks spawn in the Lost River, or at least in a nearby biome.

It would be nice if titanium and other basic materials spawned in deep areas so you could build and expand a deep base. Maybe make them large deposits only so that the exosuit drill arm acts as a natural gate to that. It'd also be a nice way to get around the Cyclops problem; build waystations with plants or aquariums for food, water filtration, nukes or thermals for power, and a moonpool each, and daisychain your way in. Might do that on my next playthrough, actually, it seems like a nice goal to work towards.

They do. I think you might have to go to the Blood Kelp for Copper but everything else including Raw Titanium spawns in the lower caverns.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Game remains very good.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Here is a baby man encountering his first reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJSckfrkDs&t=225s

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I found the Lost River. Good poo poo.

It really is. Probably my favorite zone in the game. What makes it doubly cool is that it's based on a real phenomenon where super dense brine pools form on the ocean floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZD2STt_OU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The current experimental patch actually seems to be making things easier BTW. 2 rubber from 1 creepvine seed instead of 1 from 2. 1 lube from 1 seed instead of 1 for 3. Magnesium is gone and now the repair tool just needs 2 salt. That sort of thing. Also finally replacing old placeholder graphics.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I accidentally stranded my cyclops in the lava cave because I didn't know that the lava worms suck energy. This kinda sucks.

On the bright side I found the secret thing and I brought a bunch of junk with me to build a base, so I think I'll just set up a base here with a bio and thermal reactor and recharge my cells.

That's why it's worthwhile to scan and read the entries on everything new you come across. One neat trick is to pull all your powercells for a minute and then put them back in. With no power to suck, they detach and swim away.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 13, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

Just being a breeding pair of Reginalds and enough glass to make a containment tank.

You also need Creepvine for lubricant/rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

If you're trying to do everything you can do on the surface. What do you need a replenishing source of rubber/lubricant for at that point anyway? I wouldn't think it'd be fun spending a couple hours of bringing materials down for the 5 minute feel good that you did so.

I assumed a lava base is just a source of food/water.

You need lube for every kind of power plant and if you have to replace a vehicle. Rubber is good for bulwarks and ion cells and such. Besides you just need one seed to get it started and you gotta put something in the Aquarium planters anyway.