Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

teknologik posted:

Picking up this game to eventually play with Oculus, even though I have some Thalassophobia and will probably have a heart attack.

I already get a knot in my stomach just from being deep underwater and not having a clear sight of the bottom, I can't imagine how bad that would get if I were doing VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

They are like really weird. The fragment distribution is, imo, one of the few remaining things I don't like about the game. There's no logic of any sort to their distribution, which means finding the rare ones essentially requires looking them up online and hoping. I will say that there are actually, as far as I can tell, variations in fragments based on proximity to wrecks/crashed pods. I did the same thing as you forever looking for solar panels (internet says shallows/kelp but hell if I could find any) before realizing they only seem to spawn in near crashed pods and then I found like a dozen in a row once I narrowed it down.
The biggest problem with the fragment distribution for me is that the locations don't make any sense when compared to your tech progression. I'm drowning in Seamoth Upgrade Console fragments gathered from the Grassy Plateaus long before I can get Moon Pool fragments from the Grand Reef, even though the Console Fragments can't be used until I can build a Moon Pool, and the main reason to pursue this line of upgrades is so that the Seamoth can survive the pressures of biomes like... the Grand Reef.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wild fish and plants don't repopulate or respawn; you may have killed off the local stuff around your base.

I've had depopulation occur even without killing any fish for food (playing in Freedom mode), and even among apex predators. I sometimes see blood appear when Stalkers move through creepvine, so maybe they've been killing themselves.

The game also seems to do some strange things with how fragments show up in the world. I've swum around sections and not found any fragments, then when I get in the Seamoth and turn on the lights, fragments will suddenly appear in the middle of the water and start sinking to the ocean floor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

I'm never going to find my 3rd Cyclops bridge piece. I'll never see like 60% of the map

Are you scanning all the cyclops bits over by the border between the eastern Mushroom Forest and the Dunes? There don't seem to be specific models for each part, just all parts in a certain area are "Cyclops [x] Fragment"s.

Also it's annoying when you finally scan the 3rd bridge piece and it sticks at 99%.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

The cyclops has a more shallow dive depth than the moth though its only 200 max. And I got the moon pool before I built the cyclops anyway its not too hard just patrol the reef edges and bring a pressure compensator and two air tanks along with your seaglide and moth

Can't craft the seamoth pressure compensator until you build a moon pool.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

And you cant craft the cyclops one without a pessure compensator blueprint which is harder to find.

They're all over the Mushroom Forest. They're probably second after Seamoth fragments for "stop throwing these at me and give me some ($&#*&^ new types" for me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I just switched over to experimental and I'm liking getting fragments from wrecks better than pixel hunting over massive areas only to have nearly everything be for stuff you've already got the blueprint for.

I feel like my laser cutter isn't working the way it should, though. The cuttable panels are those slightly shiny ones with the red dots on one side, right? My cutter makes noises but doesn't do anything or drain its battery when I use it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

7c Nickel posted:

Cuttable doors are the ones that are blackened and dented and have a prompt come up when you mouse over them. Intact doors with a red light stay shut. Doors with a green light can be opened by hand unless they're blocked off by debris.

Yeah, after poking around a bit more I found the ones that can be cut, apparently I was just going to all the wrecks that didn't seem to have any.

On the other hand, no fragments spawned for me in the Dunes, Blood Kelp, or Sea Treader's Path wrecks, so no Cyclops on that run.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

Base oxygen production now requires power

This is going to mess with a lot of people, but I suppose that at least now there's a reason to build bioreactors.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

just put kelp in your aquarium plant slot and you can just grab three from there any time you need them
That's less viable when the base is a quick tube down at the bottom of the grand reef that exists purely for oxygen purposes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ambaire posted:

Look at this nonsense...

This is happening to me as well.

quote:

Anyone find Seamoth fragments?
They're now chunks of the Seamoth model, and I've found a couple in the Grassy Plateaus. You need 5.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xanderkish posted:

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers. Any suggestions? I'm thinking sticking to crevasses and keeping low to the ground away from open water so they have less room to navigate. Any other ideas?

e: also strategy includes staying inside my sea base loaded up with aquariums and farms and watching the sun rise and fall forever and never going outside.

Minimize time spent in reaper areas unless you're in the cyclops, and follow the terrain closely to minimize the angles they can approach you from.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Honky Dong Country posted:

I wish I know what order energy is used in. Like in my main base I've got solar, bio, and nuke built in that order. I'm hoping my base depletes solar, then bio, then nuke, as each power source contributes a portion of your base's capacity. But I don't know. I wish you could see how much power is left in each unit of fuel (bio or nuke) or even better, could manually set priorities when it comes to power usage.

I've never actually built a nuke, but from my experience solar is used before bio.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Night10194 posted:

It gets even easier. The second you have fruit trees they produce so much moisture and food and require no input that you can easily refill fully any time you go to base, and the stillsuit nearly ends the water game.

At the moment you can put a growbed and battery/power cell chargers on the Cyclops and be completely self-sustaining indefinitely in complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I can never really justify using the Seaglide, because it takes up a huge amount of inventory space and burns through its battery stupidly fast.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dylguy90 posted:

Oh man you haven't lived until you've got a battery charger and two sets of seaglide batteries. How do you even collect resources?

I make a Seamoth, which I can find the parts for easier than the ones for a battery charger.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I wonder if the point of scanner rooms is that you set them up with a solar panel, a hatch, and maybe a foundation somewhere, use them to search that area, then remove the upgrades, deconstruct the room, and set them up somewhere else.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

So if not a water purification thingie, what's the best way to get an endless supply of potable water?

A) Stillsuit

B) Fruit tree

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Speaking of power, am I correct in assuming there is no way to make it prioritize your self sustaining/natural power supplies? Or at least not dip into a reactor until until you somehow run everything else dry at that moment?

It should do this automatically. I know it prioritizes power from solar panels over power from a bioreactor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Viperix posted:

Second, do you ever get any sort of navigation aids other beacons, ie a map?
You can get a compass for one of your two chip slots, and I highly recommend it. Magnetite is in the Mountain biome to the north-east-ish.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Subnautica: If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

For me, it's usually more a matter of "If you gaze for 20 seconds into the abyss, eventually the sea floor will finish drawing/redrawing."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DopeGhoti posted:

I suspect it's largely disk I/O constrained; I moved the game to an SSD and the pop-in is still there, but things do load a _lot_ faster when they are asked to load. I think they just need to work on their LOD settings, which is an optimization thing, and since it's still not feature-complete yet, I can see why that's still on the 'todo' shelf.

I'm running on an SSD and I've crashed my Seamoth into pillars that don't appear at all until about 10 seconds after the collision.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats weird. I don't have an SSD and I haven't had pop in THAT severe. Are you guys using the recommended or experimental settings?
My laptop is 5 years old and probably doesn't meet minimum specs on this game (my quad-core is only 1.86 ghz rather than 2), but it's never had that kind of trouble with any other game. This one will actually cause my laptop to overheat and shut down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Stalkers will break their teeth on the Seamoth, without damaging it. Bother some for a bit and you should be able to get some teeth.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

So, quick question about Cyclops blueprints.

I finally went to the grand reef and sparse reef area to collect those blueprints I still needed. And I already had two cyclops upgrades on my blueprint list. (Regular for Plasteel + Aluminum oxide. Ultra for x10 Plasteel, oxide, and the first upgrade)

Now, I'm seemingly stuck at 2/3 of "Cyclops" scanning. I have a "Cyclops pressure compensator" that only needs 1 plasteel ingot between my recently unlocked Water Filter, and Nuclear reactor/Rods/Thermal reactor.

But scanning more Cyclops pressure compensator fragments (looking like those safes) now just give me titanium.

Safe to assume this third one I have (which in just now hindsight I can't even build), and this partical scan progress, is just an EA gently caress up?

I admit after I get around to making a secondary base in the reefs near floater island area, I'll probably be shelving it until it gets more optimized. For some reason while things run pretty good generally, physically turning my Cyclops turns things into a real shitshow, no matter what settings (I'm above all the recommended stuff, with 16 Gigs of Ram not being enough to have kept me from getting a memory error steering it through a kelp forest one time).

1,500 depth max (900, if I don't want to pop my seamoth) is of small comfort, when it's such a ballbuster doing anything but drive it forward and backward.

Did you console-spawn a Cyclops or something?

The Cyclops has three components that each have their own scanning requirements: hull, engine, and bridge. The pressure compensator is its own, separate thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Whale Cancer posted:

I cannot find a single seamoth part. Thinking maybe my game is bugged and I need to start a new one.

They aren't little safes like the other fragments, they're chunks of the seamoth model, sometimes partly obscured by the red grass.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

priznat posted:

I really like their base building model, how things snap together cleanly.

Sometimes it works well, and sometimes it just won't let you place things for non-obvious reasons. Trying to place a bed on the Cyclops in the room behind the cockpit is far too complicated because it won't let me rotate the model and it projects longways by default. I had to settle for it projecting into the pathway I walk and not having room for a chair to go with the desk.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Whale Cancer posted:

Found the seamoth parts! Took a while because i kept getting killed by sandsharks. I just took a bunch of batteries for my seaglide and finally got it.

I cant wait until i can find a way to kill because I'm going to commit sandshark genocide!

Make Seamoth Perimeter Defense.

Make Seamoth Solar Charger.

Fry sandsharks and biters all day long.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't Rear The Reaper.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Welp, after the latest update the game will overheat my laptop within minutes, guess I'm not playing until the optimization passes happen.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HiKaizer posted:

The predators in Subnautica don't hunt you down, they only attack if you get close enough and then they back off if you leave. It's not like other survival games where as soon as the lights go off hordes of predators or monsters home on on you to end your miserable existence.

I've had stalkers and bonesharks follow and attack me for very long distances.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Okan170 posted:

Building out a cozy little space on the Cyclops is my new favorite pastime in the game since they added all the fun furniture! Also, this puts to rest my fear of planters on board the Cyclops since in previous versions they caused massive physics issues, but it looks like they're more resolved.

I just wish the bed fit better into that space so I could make it proper quarters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's also a lighting problem where constructed items will show lighting from the opposite side of the day/night cycle, so they appear dark when they're lit up and shine in the darkness. It's especially bad for appliances on the cyclops, but I've also seen it with items like seabase hatches or scannable furniture in wrecks.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

What modules do you guys use for the seamoth?

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

Can't imagine replacing any of those. It's my explorer.

Solar charger, max depth, defense field, armor. The armor can be easily swapped for something else, but the defense field is really good at dealing with pesky wildlife and also not getting destroyed by Reapers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Away all Goats posted:

If they really want to balance the lantern fruit they need to change the growth rate of the fruit. Right now it could give 1 food and 1 water and still be worth it because like 20 fruits grow on it at a time with zero input from you.
The fewer food/water units each fruit gives you, the more likely you are to accidentally bleed out because you ate too many things.

It looks like you can still do decently by planting a Chinese Potato plant and Bulbo tree in your Cyclops, although you'll be wearing down your knife getting the Bublo Tree Samples.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
On a related note, is the supply of Marblemelons limited to those initially placed when the game world first spawns? It seems like you can plant them in a growbed, but once you pick them there's nothing left to spawn another.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Big updates to the Aurora, there are now a lot more explorable rooms and corridors with parts gated by keycodes and obstacles you need certain tools to get past, as well as posters, scannable furniture, and the spot where we'll likely get the exosuit fragments.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A flashlight seems like a rather low-tech thing for the fabricator to take 90 sec to make.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
They'd better not put timers on converting scrap metal or refining lubricant/silicone rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Bone Sharks.