Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Judge Tesla posted:

So far I've built a radiation suit, a scanner, a knife, repair tool and a base builder tool, I've turned off food/water requirements because frankly if I can I will, those bars add nothing but pointless annoyances.

De gustibus non est disputandum, but I enjoyed the rhythmic planning aspect of the needs cycles. It gives you something to plan out besides hunting for the next components/resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WarpedNaba posted:

The main issue about the draw distance is that if you can't see the grass/details, you can't see the fragments either. Which is a problem if you're zooming around in a Seamoth.

Forget about the details, I could run into rock formations almost a second before they were drawn on the screen when the Seamoth was going full steam.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JawnV6 posted:

I'm guessing it's smart enough to not let me put a Power Cell charger in the Cyclops?

You can absolutely do this. It's not a good idea*, but you can.

*It used to be that the efficiency module for the cyclops + a charger allowed you to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which was amusing but also broken.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How well does this run on lower end PCs?

I got bad pop-in on my 7.5 year old laptop (which was high powered when it came out), especially when using the fast vehicle. I could run into terrain obstacles a few seconds before they were drawn.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Skippy McPants posted:

Insted, you learn that the place isn't out to get you at all

Warpers definitely are.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I once nearly drowned near shore when I was ~9 and got both disoriented and shoved well under the water by a wave in murky water and couldn't tell which way was up. I've had a fear of drowning and water I can't see the bottom of ever since.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wrr posted:

While the warpers rapidly lost visual-scariness as I realized they mostly just sort of bob around and don't do much, I was always on edge near them because of their ability to teleport me out of the safety of my seamoth. THAT always pops into a fight-or-flight panic scramble to get back into my safety pod.

Nothing quite like trying to bring your prawn back from the lava castle to your cyclops, only to get chain teleported out of the prawn the instant you get back in it every time until you die.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wrr posted:

Seconding wanting reasons to explore the biomes other than just pure curiosity. There is some interesting stuff out there along the western ledge that I never saw until I installed the map mod and started filling it out. Finding those big wrecks is so exciting at first because the promise of finding some dope tech to scan and get access to, but they quickly become unimportant. Just put more base decoration items in or something, I dunno.

I may have said this before but shout out to subnautica for being smart enough to pop up a more-or-less fullscreen UI element with the items arranged on a grid for base building, and not the FO4 scrolling menu at the bottom.

In earlier builds, before wrecks were a thing, fragments were scattered across the landscape. It gave a lot more incentive to engage with the terrain, so you weren't just bouncing from wreck to wreck in your tech development phase.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fojar38 posted:

_____________/

Maybe he should lay off the Loch Lomond.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Just remember to remove any modules from the scanner room before you disassemble it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I thought that maybe after all these years they might have solved the "Reaper Leviathan bursts out of the terrain" issue, but no, one appeared deep in the underwater mountain caves a few minutes ago while I was looking for a purple tablet I remember being there and instantly ran off with my seamoth, again going straight through the ground and jumping hundreds of meters away in a couple seconds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Replaying the endgame, I'm not sure how they expect people to find the thermal plant, or the final base without having found the thermal plant first to give you a vague direction to head off in, unless they'd played earlier iterations where you get express waypoints and more-or-less remember where to go.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Drake_263 posted:

The lava castle used to have a signal location pop up in it when you got close to it, something to the effect of 'unusual energy signature detected' or something. It got removed because people who'd already played the beta excessively complained that it was too handholdy.

The entries into the lava castle do have those glowing green alien pylons around them, but it doesn't help that they suffer from pop-in and there's two very big predators patrolling the area you generally want to keep an eye on.

Yeah, I knew that the entrance existed, that there were lights there, and what to expect once I entered, but it took quite a while to actually find the drat thing. I could easily see someone looking around the castle for a while, not finding anything, and concluding that it's just a geographical feature.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oasx posted:

The monster design in the original Subnautica is not really scary either, neither of them are scary games.

A reaper going from non-existent to suddenly roaring and smashing through the terrain deep inside a cave, with its head taking up the entire cavern, is the only thing in gaming that has legit made me jump in my chair within something like the last decade. Granted, that's not exactly intended behavior, but it works.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One way to check for visible-but-occluded outcrops is to not scan them, then wave your scanner over an area and see if any scannable options pop up. Not much use if you've already scanned, though.

Sandstone in shallows and kelp forest tends to be in caves. There's a large cavern in the northern kelp forest (I think near one of the life pods) that's open to the surface and has tons, but it has one of those hypno-fish so be wary of your oxygen count as you might lose a bunch if you get charmed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DreadUnknown posted:

/\The outdoor growbed is super useful in general in both games, I used one filled with Creepvine to light up the area around my base in the first game.

I once built a trail of growbeds with Creepvine (for visibility) and brain coral so I could reach the containment facility without building any vehicles other than a Seaglide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

McCracAttack posted:

I've seen console games crash like three times in my life. Two of those crashes happened this week playing Subnautica: Below Zero on PS5. I'll take the pop-in from the first game back if it means no more crashes and lost progress.

I take it you never played the console version of The Witcher 3.