Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Paracelsus posted:

This is going to mess with a lot of people, but I suppose that at least now there's a reason to build bioreactors.

Not even quite. The starter safe shallows now have solar panel fragments all over, still as the boxes. On the other hand, the door cutting mechanic is completely broken, cut two 'open' but the chunk is lodged in the doorway and you can't enter the room. Also the safe shallows wreck that is supposed to contain the Seamoth fragments doesn't contain anything except desk and chair stuff. Tried going to their forums and it's over capacity...

Look at this nonsense...

Edit: Although the lack of a Seamoth is giving me a new appreciation for the Seaglide. I never knew you could harvest resources while still on it, and I have so many batteries that its power usage is a non issue.

Anyone find Seamoth fragments?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
They still haven't fixed the seamoth, though. It used to be hyper agile, then they hosed it up with some serious mouse lag where the mouse moves the view and the seamoth catches up instead of the mouse moving the seamoth directly.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I was having a bunch of fun with this game a few months ago but the vr patch broke the Seamoth so it lags horribly when turning and I haven't played it since then. Still waiting for them to put a fix out...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

giffan posted:

That thread quickly turned into a weird steaming pile huh

Quick question: About how much power is need for the Moon Pool?

The moon pool doesn't use any power by itself that I remember, but the seamoth uses some power to recharge when you dock it, if that's what you mean. I think it uses maybe 100-150 max? I dunno, haven't played it for a few months.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It would be nice to have a gamemode halfway between survival and creative where you don't have to worry about hunger or water or oxygen but you still have to gather resources and everything.

Call it.. Discovery

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
On the other side is Minecraft, which is living proof you don't need crafting time for a compelling experience. Even most of the mods don't require any time to craft items. Obvious exceptions are pumps and thaumcraft infusion poo poo etc.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Everyone who gives a drat about this should go post in the subnautica forums. The people can influence change if they care enough to involve themselves.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Aren't solar panels easily found at the edges of the safe shallows?

Yeah, they're all over the safe shallows.

Why did they decide to animate your character blindly sticking their left hand out for every single item you make. WTB a mod to turn that off. And why can't I make the big room from the beginning, exactly?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The last time I was really playing this game was last year before they made the seamoth change that turned it into a slow laggy monster instead of the zippy underwater fighter jet I had. I honestly don't see myself playing subnautica again unless there's a way to revert to the march 2015 version. Despite the fact that I have 28 hours in it, if I could get a refund, I would. It's basically been developing backwards and is now in no man's sky territory.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Haven't done this yet but it's tempting. One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed. I just want a chill underwater exploration thing where I can zip around in my fighter plane seamoth. Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Thanks, it worked great.

Magmarashi posted:

It is considerably loving stupid for a 15 foot shark to be even be attacking a strange 178 foot long creature, in an ocean with predators of that size, to begin with and much loving dumber for it to actually be doing damage to it. They are babies compared to it.

'Actively doing something dumb' like 'Using the sub'

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find a way to say earlier.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ya know, I take it back. I put a couple hours into it this morning and it's really not that bad... got the Seamoth and it seems sometime in the past year they actually fixed it so there's no rotation lag and it's the zippy fighter plane I remember. And I like the new HUD style. The music is still as good as ever, too. Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard.

e. There is a significant amount of pop-in and occasional graphics lag, however.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Why are there two different Prawn suit blueprint progress bars? Got one at 3/4 and another at .. 2/20. They've certainly added quite a bit to the storyline.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

enraged_camel posted:

imagine how awesome it would be if after going off the edge of the map, your PDA goes "warning! titanic lifeform approaching" and then you get swallowed by a huge maw that reaches out from the depths

Dongattack posted:

M-m-m-mods?!

I don't get it, is this a request for a mod to do what enraged_camel suggested?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Or just have a loving toggle in options that says 'destructible craft on/off'. There, done, no more complaining by either side.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This is the most retarded (subnautica) forums-related bullshit I've ever seen. I'm trying to edit my post since I mispelled something, goddammit.

How the hell do I disable oxygen warnings when playing on normal? I tried switching to hardcore since it said no oxygen warnings.. nope, still the 10s one.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally got the prawn suit and got the grapple and mining upgrades. It became quickly apparent that I needed a gravsphere for mining, so I deployed one, and ... it's a fish magnet too. This is hilarious.

e. and slightly annoying since the fish end up dragging the gravsphere off.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 16, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Digirat posted:

Sounds like that would make you something other than a shivering, helpless diverman who must devour upwards of 20 watermelons to be satiated for the next several minutes. Pass.

Did they buff melons? I noticed they give 22 food and 15 water now. They also last for a relative eternity in the bio-reactor.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

EDIT: While I'm at it. Air tanks stack. Whenever you get a hold of the modification station, totally make at least one high capacity tank. Twice the air for slightly higher weight is so worth it.

They don't stack anymore.. the only air tank that matters is the one on the equipment grid. I made two high cap ones about 5 minutes into my experimental playthru (where high capacity is craftable with the fabricator) and nope the second one did nothing. A single high cap bumps oxygen to 135 tho, so it's not that big of an issue. And the super synthetic one which needs the mod station is 155 ish.

Lonos Oboe posted:

I spent a stupid amount of time catching fish by hand. Once you find the propulsion cannon, you can catch them gravity gun style.

Or just make a gravsphere. See my post above from my prawn experimentation.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

How the hell do I disable oxygen warnings when playing on normal? I tried switching to hardcore since it said no oxygen warnings.. nope, still the 10s one.

Lonos Oboe posted:

I tried checking out the game files to see if you could swap out the audio file for a blank one. But alas, no dice. As far as mods go, I am sure it is easy enough.

It was just a stupid rant and I should stop doing those. The (normal) 30s/10s warnings saved my rear end at least 20 times during my 14 hour stint yesterday.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

scuba school sucks posted:

I want to see what your reaction is when you first encounter the Mesmer. Can't say I've ever seen a game do that to me before.

I've only encountered one of those and after I knifed its face, it ran away. Did the same thing to a warper that ported me out of my seamoth. I'd really like an explosive torpedo upgrade for the seamoth... kill all the bad stuff.

7c Nickel posted:

The next patch just drops magnesium entirely so that's at least one thing off your concern list.

I swapped to experimental just for this and other QOL changes.

Ghost of Starman posted:

- Agreement with the general sentiment that the "survival" elements are kind of... a bit much. I wouldn't mind if the rate of hunger/dehydration were, like, halved. As it is, there's a lot of busywork just keeping hydrated and fed, + waiting for the drat fabricator to bleach water and cook fish.

This is especially dumb since a bottle of bleach would be enough to purify a few dozen gallons of water minimum. Although, does it even work that way? Bleach seems like the last thing I'd want to use for purifying something drinkable.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 18, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I found the regular mod station just fine in the latest experimental, but I've searched pretty much every single wreck on the surface and the seabase under the safe shallows and can't find the vehicle mod station. Can anyone confirm it's spawning on experimental? It's a bit odd having cyclops/prawn/etc but no mods for them.... prawn is useless without it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Paracelsus posted:

It's been a couple months since I played, but I usually found them out in the open in the Crash Zone, right near the Aurora's hull.

Note that I said 'on experimental'. I can find them just fine on the release version. It's like they hosed something up regarding those fragments in the past few (experimental) versions.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

That makes sense, but what does the scanner room do?

I left beacons at the mountain island because there's a lot of useful minerals there, and the floating island. I'm trying to find the great reef at this point, but I'm not sure what kind of blueprints I need at this point. Probably better just upgrading my poo poo now i have the modification station. Maybe I should actually continue the story. Which is something I really like, outside of the sunbeam, you can do everything i've come across at your leisure.

The scanner room finds stuff. Get the hud upgrade, 2 speed 2 range upgrades, tell it to find sandstone in the safe shallows and after about 5-10 minutes, your hud will be filled with sandstone markers. As the active markers increase, it also bogs down the inventory system / mouse position detection so interacting with lockers and stuff becomes nearly impossible until you gather the stuff and turn the scanner room off.

e. meant limestone but anything applies, really.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

So broken and not really needed.

So with your options, hot knife or diamond knife, still suit or reenforced dive suit?

Huh? The scanner room is awesome and essential for finding some stuff. Just has a minor downside one should be aware of.

Also I guess I'm the only person in the thread playing the experimental version. It does away with knife durability so I just use a heated knife for everything.

And reinforced dive suit. The extra physical protection is quite useful. A single desalinator thing produces more than enough water especially supplemented with a melon bed or whatever.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Robiben posted:

One thing I would say is the grappling hook upgrade is kinda required if you want to really explore. The jumpjets aren't super strong by themselves but you can use grappling hook momentum to get up pretty high and also once you get good with it you can Bionic Commando yourself around pretty quickly.

Haha, yeah. If you get the angle right, you can almost 'fly' along like if you were playing Just Cause 2, but underwater.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Invalid Validation posted:

Unless it's changed recently your base starts having cracks if you don't give it enough foundation to boost its hull strength.

On experimental, I built a pretty large base just using multipurpose rooms with hull reinforcements, zero foundations. Didn't have any problems with flooding. It was only about 20m down, though. I like the look of a base without foundations a lot better...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
From some of the dev/player chat on the forums, it seems they're wanting to make it more of a linear story driven game and do away with a lot of the open world exploration stuff. The only reason I bought it in the first place was for the sandbox exploration etc. :(

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ardeem posted:

Defense system + solar charger + persistence = dead reaper that had followed me into the safe shallows.

You can kill reapers? Awesome. Do they stay dead? Time to clear the map of the pests...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zesty posted:

What? How do you even convert what's here out of a sandbox and into something more linear? I can't imagine a worse mistake this late in development after having so many people buy into it because it's an exploration survival.

I heard rumors of removing a couple of the (easier) alternate entrances to the lost river so there's only 1 entrance...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Jesus christ, that reads like something from April 1st. Do the devs literally hate fun?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It would seem that the 'force wreck to temporarily despawn' bug is still in effect. If you build a scanner room or whatever so it's clipping into a wreck, the wreck just .. vanishes when you finish constructing the room. Hello floating goodies...

Also, scanner rooms continue to be hilarious. One goes from "can't find sandstone for anything" to "oh my god the circles are taking over the world".

Edit: It looks like 'temporarily' is actually 'permanently'. Tried it on a different wreck with an L-shape, removed it and wreck's still gone. Tried going away from the area and coming back, wreck still gone. I'm almost afraid to try it out on the Aurora and see if I can get it to vanish. Anyone want to check?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 19, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Double Punctuation posted:

Somebody earlier mentioned that marblemelons were bugged. What, exactly, is the problem with them?

I haven't had any problems with them. I have a large planter against a wall in my main multipurpose room and have knifed at least 20 so far in my current game and it's worked as expected.

For that matter, the game is remarkably bug free now. Only encountered one bug and that was when I placed two moonpools adjacent, causing a mod station against one wall to get eaten.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

This is the most stupid argument I have heard in a long time.

Right now, hull damage is tense and exciting, because it drops fairly quickly and you have to decide whether to jump out NOW and repair it NOW while you still can even if the danger is still around, putting you character in direct peril. If you screw up, preserving your vehicle either means risking danger, or completely escaping from danger first and then topping off.

Meanwhile, in response to a system describes as "tedium" (but which has great potential for real meaningful risk and reward choices) you propose a system that is literally tedium incarnate - ever time the player takes damage, they now have to decide between risking their vehicle by continuing the journey, or doing a boring and time consuming jaunt back to home base to repair. Which is exactly the same as how the current mechanic works except you have added a buttload of transit time, aka tedium.

As much as I criticize the devs sometimes I am super glad some of you arent having any sort of say in how this game works, yeesh. You would suck all the fun and tension right out of it in favour of tedium and busy work.

:agreed: I like the way the system works right now.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

You must be watching the wrong streams, you're supposed to be complaining they are the ones who took 12 hours to find it while you roll your eyes at how easy it was for you.

But seriously, my sympathies. The fragment system remains all kinds of RNJesus even when you have the map memorized. I can't feel good about unlocking the Cyclops start to finish in in roughly 5 minutes of seamoth cruising, because I know it was just the fragment spawns being forgiving.

Yeah. On my first save that I started two days ago, I went through 5 wrecks before I finally found a second prawn grapple arm. On the second save that I started yesterday (because I didn't like the way the first one was going), I found 3 prawn grapple arm pieces in the first wreck under the floating island. The frag rng is loving crazy.

Also, in the first save, I found 3 moonpool frags around that first wreck. Second save? Only one.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm setting up max range scanners to find the last databoxes I'm missing. What are my power options if there's no solar or thermal available, carry an extra 11 slots for a multipurpose room and bioreactor then feed random fish to it?

I wish the scanner had an option to pan the holo up a bit so I can see the underside a bit better...

e. holy gently caress. 4 silver nodes (~48 silver ore) clustered around a jellyshroom passage in the grassy plateaus. I think I'm set on that for the rest of the game..

e2. It seems that scanning speed only affects how fast it scans nodes. It will happily detect something 400m away as quickly as 10m.

e3. It seems that one can move the seamoth around by swimming into it. Amazing.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Oh yeah, and I really wish there was an inventory size upgrade.

Or <horror>let inventory items stack.</horror>

It would definitely 'break' the inventory tetris side of the game but if someone finds a way to hack that into the game, it would be amazing.

HexiDave, is it possible to make it so when I try to pick up an item and my inventory is full, that item is shuffled into the nearest inventory with free slots?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
TBH, I think that the moon pool is required for a first real base, placing it first since the orientation matters so much. I always want to be exiting the seamoth into my base area, not on the other side or some awkward thing. Even if my base ends up sprawling around the moon pool with endless multipurpose rooms...

Also, the multipurpose room is infinitely superior to a passageway. With the passage, you can place maybe 3-4 lockers total? With the mp room, I can place T or U formations of lockers on each diagonal side for 12 to 16 total and still have the doorways free.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bhodi posted:

This is one of the most ridiculous changes they made with the 1.0 patch. They are the same size in your inventory as their capacity, and you used to be able to to pick them up while full. Even if they were bigger inside, who cares?

Because the devs hate fun, of course.

Just like Starbound.

Yes, I'm still bitter over how they ruined the starbound grappling hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah there are a lot of things I REALLY like about Subnautica, but one of its biggest issues is the devs just don't seem to respect the players time. There are way too many gigantic items, and way too many play sessions where you hardly accomplish anything because half of it is just spent managing inventory space and ferrying between spots for resources.

<sarcasm>

Have you taken a look at the player model? How does he carry anything beyond a couple items, anyway? I think, for hardcore mode, the devs should have gone all out and made it ~true to life~. Seaglide occupies all slots while being carried from where it was constructed and floats in the world where it was last used. The player can carry maybe 2 salvage and swim. Of course, there would be an option to make a sort of bag that one could stuff things in and tow behind them.

</sarcasm>

Certainly would make it more interesting, though.