Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Robzilla posted:

I want to get this but I have a moratorium on Early Access games.

This game is really cool, but will probably be much cooler when it is actually finished. Just wait imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Google Butt posted:

shoot it in the head with the stasis rifle

Somewhat related: My only death to fauna in this game occurred in the post-Neptune-built victory lap where I decided to scan all of the creatures that I never bothered to previously. It was so trivially easy to stasis rifle the Reaper and 2 Ghosts that I pretty much lost all fear of Leviathans. Casually strutted right up to the face of the final type for my last scan and....oh yeah. These ones breathe fire. Turns out it kills you pretty much instantly, too. Who woulda thought

If I play through Subnautica again I may have to opt not to use that gun, though. Despite my blunder at the very end, that thing is stupidly overpowered and the tension suffers greatly because of it. Almost everything goes down to one shot + 3 seconds of knifing. I paved my way to the stars on the backs of a thousand boneshark corpses. Hell, even without it the predators in this game, while scary-looking, don't seem very adept at killing you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Voyager I posted:

The Pathfinder Tool owns by the way. Aside from saving yourself from panic deaths when you're exploring caves and wrecks, the nodes emit enough light to illuminate the kind of small spaces you'll be crawling through. Since you can also move around and use other tools without losing light, it makes for a better light source than the lightstick or the flashlight, and it's absolutely worth it at a single inventory slot. This sorta leads me to one of my quibbles about the game -- a lot of nifty-but-situational dive tools are 2 x 2, which means I end up leaving them in a locker unless I'm doing something where I know they'll be necessary (using the Grav trap to fish sulphur out of the Lost River before I got a prawn was great, but I don't think I've used it since then). It's sad that they spent effort making these legitimately fun physics toys and then they end up getting sacrificed on the altar of inventory space.

Only having 5 quickbar slots is also the worst. Why not give me 9-10 like every other game that exists? I don't really feel like using these niche items when I need to gently caress around swapping things in my inventory to use it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Surely at least half of us painted the prawn yellow because of this, right?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Infinite. You can't kill any large predators period, you can only make them go away for a bit.

I used to think you couldn't kill smaller predators but then I had some experiences with two of them that give me inklings that you totally can, they just have insane amounts of health.

As noted above, leviathans are definitely killable with the prawn suit or knife; it just takes ages. I absolutely would not say that smaller stuff has an insane amount of health, either. You can trivially annihilate anything other than a leviathan or a lava lizard with one stasis blast and like under 10 thermoblade swings. Even something as large and scary as a crabsquid stands no chance.

That being said, the death animation on Subnautica enemies is weird and it's possible you killed stuff without realizing it. They tend to just stop moving and then repeatedly twitch every few seconds for all eternity.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 11, 2018

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Short a couple of lithium and a diamond on that one, but I'm close.

The Cyclops can only carry the Seamoth OR the Prawn, right? Not both at once? What should I use when?

You're probably better off with the Prawn most of the time. While the Seamoth is undoubtedly the most pleasant vehicle to drive, it doesn't actually do anything that the others cannot. Meanwhile the Prawn can drill and can enter deeper areas that would crush the Seamoth.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I've just built the seamoth. And like everything about this game it's filling me with fear. I'm can't drive in real life, why would I have control over a speedy depthy machine in a life or death situation. What if I crash it? What if it floats away? What if monsters attack it and strand me miles from home? This game ain't good for my heart rate.

This game starts out spooky but by the end, you're so accustomed to it all that even Leviathans become a minor, mostly ignorable nuisance that you occasionally need to roll your eyes at and swat away.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tried to avoid using the wiki for this game but as soon as I noticed that a basic loving room was locked, I went ahead and looked up its location. Then I spent a long time swimming around the jellyshroom caves with a tier 1 oxygen tank and no seamoth looking around for it, drowning repeatedly until I finally found the right direction. It was unpleasant but I have no regrets because not starting out with room blueprints is stupid.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

Holy crap, the cyclops eats power cells. But I made it into The lava area! It's really, really tough to navigate and these sea dragon dudes are really rude...

The cyclops barely uses any power if you have the efficiency upgrade. You can find an already-built one in the Aurora. You also might have lava slugs attached to your sub. Those drain energy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They haven't. If 76 million played this game, it would instantly be the most popular game of all time and every company on the planet would be racing to build Subnautica knockoffs.

Underwaterca
The Sims: Ocean Living
Water Monsters
Alien Oceans
Dark Souls V: Abyssal Darkness
Deep-Divin' with Abu Garcia
Battlefield 5: Underwater Assault
Archimedian Dynasty 2: Leviathans Return
Ariels Scary Excursions: A Little Mermaid Tale
The Incredible Machine: Watery Widgets
Subnautica Minecraft

I'm extremely down for Terror From The Deep-esque sequels

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished this game. I had a good time with it, although it's no Subnautica 1.

One of the main issues that I took with Below Zero was the increased focus on story and characters. 1 had a really great, lonely vibe to it that felt reminiscent of Metroid Prime 1 which I also love. The plot taking a backseat while only offering little hints until the very end was to its benefit. What little bits of interaction and characterization that existed with the Sea Emperor and your PDA AI were reasonably well done. BZ? Not so well done, and its everpresent nature really kills the atmosphere.

This game was also a lot less unnerving than the first. Nothing ever felt like a major threat and the small, enclosed map leaves little to imagine what might be in the deep, dark distance. Granted, a substantial amount of this is just due to familiarity with the series. I was hoping with a sequel they would veer more heavily into horror to compensate for that familiarity, but it seems like the devs went in the opposite direction with sea monsters that gently caress off after hitting you once for a trivial amount of damage (or gently caress off immediately when you ram them). The only semi-dangerous creature is relegated to its specific cave that contains nothing else in a very artificial way. The previously mentioned story elements also contribute to this. It's easier to be spooked when you feel truly alone and trapped on some unknown planet.

I thought the surface content was pretty alright...for a bit. Did get pretty loving tedious over time. The worm zone in particular is huge and almost impossible to navigate while again not being threatening at all.

Despite the complaints about it, I did enjoy the Sea Truck. Granted, I only ever slapped a storage module on the thing since further modules seemed like a fairly worthless trade for something that makes the vehicle slower and more difficult to maneuver, but with just that one added section it was basically a Sea Moth with a bunch of extra storage and the ability to walk around inside a bit. Greatly preferred it over the clunky-rear end Cyclops, or the Prawn which makes me feel like I'm playing a terrestrial mech game rather than something underwater. I never did put a single non-depth module upgrade in the truck though, which was a bummer. Just didn't come across all of the parts necessary to build anything else. I think it was much easier to find scannable bits in the first game where you are generally cruising around looking for enormous wrecked sections of the Aurora, as opposed to Below Zero where you are instead generally looking for sea monkey nests scattered about in small cave mazes.

Also liked the additions to base-building. Even minor stuff like a glass roof is pretty a-ok in my book since building a cozy base is one of my favorite parts of these kinds of games.

Overall: fun and worth playing, but I was hoping for something more.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 18, 2021

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

That's not what you did anyway? Curious if you took the truck all the way into final biome, I would assume the shock module recharge would to be slow to keep them off you in the last room. I ditched my truck as soon as I go into the purple crystal biome.

I took the truck there and didn't even have the shock upgrade. The leviathans lose interest in you immediately if you hop out of the driver's seat and hang out in the storage module. It's very silly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Talorat posted:

Only complaint is the Ice Worm mechanics felt a little eh. I think I would have rather it been that the thumpers distract the worm, rather than repel it, or maybe the thumpers have much longer battery life but the worms are way more fatal so you have to build a path to the objective using the thumpers. As it stood I basically would just ride around on my bike until a worm knocked me off, then quickly throw down a thumper and be on my way, which felt cheesy but was effective.

I'm surprised you even needed to do this much. My strat was to just sprint around on foot. No vehicles, no thumpers. I don't think it ever even hit me.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite story moment in BZ was when Alan uses several musical metaphors in a sentence, demonstrating a very clear understanding of music and its intricacies. And then a few minutes later he has some unrelated conversation with your character where he is baffled by this bizarre and incomprehensible human concept called..."music"?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

On the other hand, nukes are loud as gently caress. I had to redesign my second base just so the reactor was a few rooms away from everything else, to keep the noise down

I initially put mine in a normal, sensible location which was a huge mistake. Ended up dismantling it (which destroys the rods) just so that I could set up a new one. 4 consecutive tube sections attached to the far corner of by base just to reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure where subnautica can go as a series from here but I'd love to see a game that worked with similar survival mechanics and basebuilding in another setting.

I want it to go full-on horror. Make a Subnautica that's scary as gently caress. They have a good base for it.