Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers with this game. Unfortunately it seems like the entire loving internet is scared of "the reaper" and wants to tell me about it. Great, so now I'm terrified of a messed up shark thing. Problem is, I don't know where this reaper is, so every single excursion into new territory is excruciating. :suicide: Still discovered a fair bit, including a giant alien weapons platform and some cool mushroom caves.

Anyways, I got some decoys, which should help? But how do I use them? I don't seem to be able to equip them in my hands. I see you can load them into torpedo tubes, but I can't see any such tubes on my seamoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it went unsaid in the effort post a few back there, but you want to build the HUD upgrade ASAP, as it takes scanners from 'useful with effort and patience and back and forthing' to just 'useful'. It's actually an upgrade for your suit, not the room, to be clear.

Yeah, this took me a while to figure out, range upgrades all the way!

I finally unlocked multi-purpose modules, and I'm putting a break on all plot relevant activities to build pretty gardens and aquariums. Explore the Aurora and get those coordinates? Find the Degasi habitat site? Look into that odd infection I have? Nahh, I'm busy covering my walls with grass and planting mushrooms.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

Incidentally, having a couple of drones left out for stalkers to play with makes it decently easy to collect stalker teeth pre-HUD chip. Wherever they leave the drone, there's a decent chance that there's a couple of discarded teeth lying about.

See this was the plan, but I've been watching the stalkers' escapades and they've been clipping through the seabed and dropping all their teeth below the map. There's quite a collection down there according to my HUD.

E: On the plus side, this meant I could map out the steam vent in the shallows when they dropped a drone below the map.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 8, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So building my base between on a ridge between a lava vent and a kelp forest looked cool, but now I have nowhere to build a moonpool. Well, there are two spots: directly over said lava vent, or clipping through a mess of kelp. I've now spent an hour trying to align a new base across 2 rock pillars :shepicide:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Big (1.8gb) update for subnautica on steam now. No patch notes that I can find, but their twitter says its an engine upgrade and texture optimizations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing this for the first time (except for a false start that was interrupted by WoW classic).

Scrounged a bunch of stuff and realized I could get the MK2 and 3 depth upgrades for the Seamoth. Apparently it has a limit of 900 meters now. I thought the story was wrapping up now that I found the Degasi camp at 500 meters :v:

E: weirdly free diving is like my safety blanket because nothing is obscuring my vision and the stasis rifle has kept everything at bay so far. Maybe it's just me, but the seamoth seems to attract predators. I also just got a cyclops but so far it seems only to excel at getting stuck in holes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 26, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trip report: Dear god, why didn't I make a hud chip earlier? Base building is so much easier now.

Found two time capsules, one with a stasis gun and another containing poo :v:

I haven't progressed any further, just spending hours making a pretty home that snakes through some stone arches in the kelp biome and out over a cliff overlooking one of those plateaus filled with red seaweed.

I do appreciate that the game doesn't demand much in the way of rare resources. One trip stuffing the seamoth and my inventory with magnetite or rubies or whatever lasts a long time. Food is sorted with a farm, and water too, as soon as I can get a filtration machine up and running.

My only complaint is that I can't make furniture and plant beds snap to base elements. Getting furniture to line up properly is time consuming and it bugs me when stuff is slightly off center.

A warper is parked by the beach of the alien island, which makes my lithium harvesting trips a nerve wracking experience.

E:

SlothfulCobra posted:

The seamoth lights attract predators, so going around with your lights off is stealthier.

I got in the habit of using the Seamoth as a floodlight for whatever area I was investigating, and it got nibbled to death.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It's not just you. Predators - particularly the really nasty ones - are attracted to the Seamoth, especially when the lights are on.
They may also be attracted to the Prawn suit but that's their problem.

Cool, makes sense. Base building aside, I feel like I'm going native. Not using the vehicles when trying to find a pod, only the flashlight when absolutely necessary. Just freediving and catching fish with my knife when I get hungry :clint:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 29, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've only found one piece of a prawn, so I've decided that's my next goal. I've also got to find a pod close to the crash site that I heard about at the start of the game (and I think one of the logs mentioned a prawn bay there) so I think the next step is to brave the waters where I keep hearing roaring in the distance. Unsure if I'm just going to swim or take the unupgraded cyclops in silent running mode.

Also need to find a way to make hydrochloric acid. Stabbing mushrroms did not work and the gasopods don't help either :downs: That was a painful expedition

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 29, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll want to get into the Aurora sooner rather than later if you haven't already.

Ok yeah, the Aurora wasn't as deadly as I expected. Taking a straight path there was actually pretty safe!

This weekend I punched bonesharks to death and found a cave with a portal inside, south of the Aurora's stern. Looking forward to seeing what's behind it. It's really out of the way so I'm wondering if I'm about to do some sequence breaking.

Also getting a shitload of time capsules. Kinda wish I had started finding them earlier, I'm rolling around with 5 stasis guns now. One of them had some kind of super battery in it, which is pretty sweet. Another of the time capsules had a picture collage of early access Subnautica and descriptions of how things were different. Really cool poo poo!

I built a comedically large pile of scrap to harvest teeth, so I think my time capsule is just gonna be filled with them :v: Hopefully it'll make somebody's life a little easier, they can be a pain to find.

E: my seamoth teleported 100 feet up into the air while I was inside the Aurora, so that's annoying. It's hovering directly above a reaper so uh... guess I'm building a new one.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 2, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m hopping back in once they finish the final biome :unsmith:

I played BZ in early access. Kind of wish I had waited, though.

Oh dang, have they confirmed that it's the final biome?

Valheim is great, the only other game that has the same vibe as Subnautica, somehow.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yall are describing Forever Skies

Yeah, I'm cautiously excited for this

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

My singular criticism for OG subnautica is that there really needs to be a way to dock the Cyclops with the main base.

Good memories of trying dock my brand new cyclops. Why *thud* isn't *crack* this *slam* working!

It looked a lot smaller when it was being constructed in the air. Then I got out and realized what the issue was, and also that the hab was broken in 10 different places.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

People should get used to paying more than 20 bucks for anything that isn’t a AAA game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The layoffs are all due to external factors. Publishers and investors made some wild overcommitments, on the assumption that the bump in growth during Covid was going to continue. Layoffs have hit GaaS studios equally, it isn’t a magic bullet that can shield a studio from recession, inflation or idiotic growth projections.

In any case, folks have been making a good argument for raising the price floor for indie games. That solution is just as valid as in-game monetization, depending on the type of game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wouldn’t mind AAA games reducing in scope a bit. We’re kinda getting diminishing returns as open world games grow larger and larger. Like, is it really a selling point that Skull & Bones has a larger world than all the Assassin’s Creed games? I didn’t even see everything in the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Care to give some examples

Wolfenstein 3D

Tales of Maj Eyal

Some other old games I can’t remember offhand. There’s a blurry line between abusive mtx and extra levels, expansions, character classes, whatever. The business model has always been there, it just turned to poo poo when publishers started experimenting with it in the 00’s

E: honorable mention to games like Monster Hunter World that have tons of poo poo mtx but they are not purchasable or advertised in the game. You have to browse the game’s steam page to even be aware that they exist

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 22, 2024