Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drunk in Space posted:

Playing this for the first time in a while, and noticed something pretty cool:

When did eclipses become a thing?

Enjoying all the other new stuff too. The water and the lighting effects associated with it look fantastic now.

My first eclipse was terrifying. I was just starting the game and in the middle of a kelp field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Subnautica: If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The game is silly about foundations. It wouldn't let me remove them even if I have the hull integrity available because other objects are connected to them.

I just rebuilt my base a piece at a time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

I probably missed the discussion in my thread read through but is there a reason from the devs why no map interface? I want one really badly. Seems totally weird to not have one.

There are mid-late game methods of mapping the world.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Knife them all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I killed a nearby one and it hasn't returned.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

I think that should be the winner. Subnautica: if you stare into the abyss, eventually the next chunk loads.

I like it. Hopefully we only need that title until 1.0 when they clean that up...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Demiurge4 posted:

Stalker teeth might as well be called rooster teeth. I've found 3 the entire time I've been playing and now I'm trying to build the cyclops.

I just played fetch with the same stalker and a single piece of scrap metal to get all the teeth I needed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

What happens if you deconstruct something that contains other stuff, like a module or a locker? Tries to fit into your inventory or just disappears?

In the case of lockers, everything inside is deleted. It makes a good way of getting rid of excess items.

I was a bit bummed out to find rotten fish and random crap I put outside didn't go away ever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bhodi posted:

So I uh, I tried to dock my seamoth into the moonpool while it was draining and it ejected me and I fell down to the seafloor. It thinks I'm in my base because it's making clanking walking sounds but I'm on the surface. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it. Going to try and walk to find some quartz and make a little habitat that I get in/out in the hopes it'll trigger swimming again

are there any console commands I can use to force swim?

I had a similar issue falling through my base once. I just went into a hatch from the outside and that fixed it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:siren: mini patch :siren:

No big changes. Little fixes here and there.

quote:

Update 67 is now available on Steam. We haven’t named this update, because it is a little baby update. Unlike Farming, Power Nap, Machinery, and other updates, 67 doesn’t include any big exciting new features. It does include important and useful improvements to the game. Read on to find out what’s inside.

Subnautica now supports the use of Xbox controllers when playing on PC. You can adjust controller bindings in a new options section in the main menu. Controllers do not yet work in the main menu itself – Sorry about that, we intend to remedy this in future.

Thanks to some optimisation work we’ve done for the Xbox version of Subnautica, the game will now run slightly better on low-end PCs. If you are running Subnautica on PC at or near minimum-specification, you may notice slightly better frame-rates.

We’ve applied a blowtorch to the loading screen. It will now crash far less often on Windows. The ‘grey screen’ crash, where the Subnautica would become non-responsive and crash, was one of our most frustrating bugs. After this update, we expect you will see it a lot less often.

Also included in Update 67 are:

Drowning in Hardcore mode will not longer cause an endless black screen
Seamoth and player turn speeds are now more consistent
FPS command now available in console
VR Bugs have been squashed – you can now make a climb & use the Mobile Vehicle Bay properly
Locked but known technologies (e.g. Seamoth in Constructor) will display grey icons in fabrication menus

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Stringbean posted:

Started this up last night, got a radiation suit made up and a lot of gear. Should I aim for the wreckage? Or is there something closer to the escape pod that I should have been looking through?

Sure, go for it. Bring a fully charged welder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

You look like a badass, ready to take on a reaper with a survival knife.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Weren't we some sort of science expedition? Shooting up the wildlife isn't something we came to this planet to do.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't mind the lack of guns, but lots of science expeditions (especially extreme ones) have some sort of survival kit that usually contains weaponry. Cosmonauts had survival shotguns in the Souyez capsule to protect themselves against wildlife in Siberia for over 20 years.

Yeah but this isn't mid 20th century earth. This is enlightened "We don't even eat meat as a society anymore" future. Weapons being defensive makes sense in that context.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bhodi posted:

The game has ~10h until you hit the early access wall, imo.

Maybe if you use maps and look things up. I went 20 hrs, myself.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought Peepers were the best food. Apparently it's Reginalds.

Emptied my 20 peepers into the ocean. They'll be fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fruits great when in the base. Reginalds are good for salting.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a three story tall alien containment. I'm inside of it but I can't seem to drop this grassy plateau egg inside of it. What's the problem?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You'll get a good 10-20 hours out of it right now but there's a lot more end game content planned.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Silver was the hardest thing for me to find as a new player. I never found any in kelp.

However, I did find them in the red grass areas. A trick on a quick second playthrough found that the scanner would highlight sandstone nodes if I didn't scan them. They're also easier to see from above.

I also found sandstone nodes in a hydrothermal vent in the safe shallows.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah. As soon as you can just drop a room under your lifeboat. Everything constructed can be refunded for the full materials so don't be afraid of "doing it wrong" the first time because you want everything to be perfect.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Seaglide sucks up batteries insanely fast. I had a seamoth before the battery charger.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wait till you go so deep that there's never sunlight.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How is the Cyclops supposed to be recharged besides abusing the power cell recharger? Have bases everywhere with power cell rechargers? It's a bit silly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What modules do you guys use for the seamoth?

-Solar Charger
-Max Depth
-Hull Integrity
-Radar

Can't imagine replacing any of those. It's my explorer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've only been caught by a reaper once on my seamoth and it brought me to 20% health with armor.

I assume the armor helps against accidentally crashing into walls so I prefer it based on that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Doesn't it only take 5 solar panels to negate the water filtration's energy use?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That sounds unfun. :thumbsup:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We're talking 4 minutes maximum. Do you get upset when you have to microwave something for 4 minutes? Because it already took time to get it and put it in the microwave? NO! Or at least you shouldn't, because if you've ever had used a microwave in your life, you know that that amount of time will go by like that. I would love to see how these people handle War Frame, where almost EVERYTHING takes hours and days to build not mere seconds and minutes.

:shrek:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

As someone who has less time than ever to play games I am very attuned to when a game is wasting my time. It's just not worth it with so many other entertainment options available.

You should make a quick account over there and post that. I'll post it if you don't want to but I'd like to have more voices in there where the devs can see it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah I assumed the same thing, where it would be like every other survival game and let you just skip time. But nah, just staring at the ceiling

You don't understand. That wouldn't be realistic. If you want to skip the night you should sleep in a bed and then actually go take a short nap in real life. :shrek:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Trustworthy posted:

Y'all could just chill back in a comfy chair and look out a window at some of the game's gorgeous wildlife in its natural habitat. Sometimes it's nice just to take it all in; not every second of life has to be some kind of Adderall-fueled action sprint mall madness shopping spree

I could do that without being required to do so.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The "truth is in the middle" guy in that thread.

Let's not genocide EVERYONE. Just half of everyone! That's fair, right?|

edit: Ha, and just a few posts later the same guy has a meltdown.

quote:

heck lets go then better way: triple the drat times because now it adds a real realism card into play... lets keep arguing left or right who is right game forever then ... lets keep running this cause you cannot understand people who like times and keep standing "I am right, you are wrong" way

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a console command that also gives you instant crafting. The point is that waiting around shouldn't be the default. I don't want to tell people what options they have to cheat in to make the game not annoying to play.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They made ANOTHER thread with a poll, and then threw a fit when things didn't go their way again.

quote:

All those mint accounts only made to vote here make the validity of this poll highly dubious, no matter which way it will turn out.

quote:

How even the poll is compared to how the original thread has become basically all instant supporters does go to show that they aren't necessarily the biggest, they just make the most noise. Not that voicing your opinion is a bad thing, mind you. Its just interesting.

quote:

Don't forget to account for all those accounts made over a year ago who've been pretty much completely silent until now.

quote:

Manufacturing a false consensus by vote brigading and dog piling (with and without fake accounts) isn't that uncommon on the internet.

:tinfoil:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just can't get over how that one guy thinks he's heroically part of the silent majority and everyone he disagrees with is maliciously trying to be louder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mesmers aren't in the game? I've seen a few even recently on the Stable release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a fair chance your progress would be erased on the 22nd when the next release comes out.

I don't think you'll feel cheated if you played through what content was available now and then started fresh on full release in December. I got around 20 hours before running out of content on a playthrough. I've since raised that to 40 hours playing with experimental builds and goofing around a good deal.