Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reapers Yelling always sounds further away than it actually is. I hate them. I hate them so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xanderkish posted:

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers.

My general strategy is to swim until I hear one of them screaming and then to decide that place belongs to the Reaper and I should be somewhere else.

I am still upset one of them moved into my happy mushroom kingdom. I thought that biome was safe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Three-Phase posted:

I have to admit this game is pretty awesome but I think with an Oculous Rift it might be a little too much for me.

That was neat when I finally got around to checking out the wrecked spaceship. "Hey the bow and starboard look fairly OK! Let's go to port and... Oh my."

This was my first experience with the creature I've dubbed 'The Motherfucker', too. I know it's called a Reaper. I don't care, it'll always be the Motherfucker to me. I'm chatting with a buddy on my headset as I check out the port side of the Aurora, and I'm like 'My screen's shaking, wonder if the wreck is settling? Plus I hear something really loud and JESUS CHRIST!"

It was two of them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It gets even easier. The second you have fruit trees they produce so much moisture and food and require no input that you can easily refill fully any time you go to base, and the stillsuit nearly ends the water game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Despite having some minor fear of the sea myself, I can confirm scuba diving is rad and there are many pretty fishes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xanderkish posted:

Still had some close calls with all this, like that time a Reaper popped into a mushroom forest and I turned around and spirited away while shouting expletives the whole way back. And I still get frightened when I see Reapers, even though I know I'm in a big-rear end submersible where they can't hurt me.

One moved into my serene mushroom kingdom and still won't leave. The Reaper owns that base now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Funkmaster General posted:

Am I the only one who finds the reaper totally not scary at all? I mean, at a distance it's terrifying the first few times because "woah, that's a big loving fish!," and he remains nerve-wracking due to gameplay mechanics that make an encounter with one certain death, but in terms of design he looks ridiculous and isn't scary at all. I actually think all the creature designs in this are absolutely fantastic, but the reaper is the one exception.

It's the sound, speed, and what he'll do in gameplay that scares me, not how he looks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What can't the Reginald, Wonder Fish, accomplish?

Best fish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HiKaizer posted:

Putting fish into it seems vaguely immoral in some fashion. I have never wanted for power enough yet that I had to worry about the reactor efficiency. But I also build a lot of passive power generation like solar panels and geothermal.

The fish can either be used to power the base or the diver. Either will consume the fish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Met posted:

I just played fetch with the same stalker and a single piece of scrap metal to get all the teeth I needed.

When I realized they were relatively intelligent and playful I stopped trying to kill Stalkers.

I think they're cute. :3:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mechanical Ape posted:

What annoys me is how all that lethal dark matter radiation doesn't bother the fish. I'm jealous, fish! What's your secret? :argh:

Reginald can do whatever the hell Reginald wants. He is the best fish.

No idea how the lesser fish survive, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's got a lot. He's like what, 1/5 of a full nuclear fuel rod?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hyperdense compressed fish is the breakfast of champions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I had a crabsnake near the abandoned base in the jellyshroom cave come out of nowhere to attack my seamoth when I wasn't even in it. This update made stuff hilariously aggressive.

On another note, this happened somehow:

What, two of them? That was my very first encounter with them months ago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm probably not going to play the release if they put in 5 minute crafting timers. I have other games and I had a lot of fun with this one already.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can the Prawn fistfight a Reaper?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good. Wasting time on adding a half-baked multiplayer wouldn't have helped anyone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danaru posted:

Is there any major drawback to making a gigantic gently caress-off tower of vertical connectors aside from the hit to hull integrity? There's a really deep chasm near my base that I want to connect down to so I don't have to swim up so far to refill my oxygen tanks.

Always build hubris palaces.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Brave move! The thing that always gets me nervous in this game isn't the wildlife but the descent into the yawning abyss when I can't see anything in any direction. It really activates something primal in me, it's very scary.

Same here. I've gone scuba diving before, I'm a good swimmer, and I love the water, but something about being in ocean deep enough not to see anything but the water in all directions always wigs me out a little.

Also this game really makes me wish I could go do scuba again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

I honestly really doubt you've actually had a moment of excitement from your knife breaking.

And the knife is mostly only useful as a tool. You can drive some stuff off (or kill it) but the knife no longer snapping like cheap tin wouldn't suddenly make the knife a guarantor of survival in all hostile environments.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I stopped killing Stalkers about the same time I realized they play with toys and also they run away if I knife 'em once.

Other monsters can gently caress off but I'm okay with my occasionally dickish sharkdolphin neighbors.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

I really wish there were more complex predators. Stalker behaviour really is one of the best things about the game. At one point early in development I was super excited because of the promise of more stuff like that but... it doesnt really feel like it ended up going that way.

I really just want a game where I play as an alien naturalist and learn about the fascinating life of alien critters and how to love in harmony with them hahah my dream game is never going to exist

I want this so much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Overwined posted:

Someone just needs to port Unreal World into any decent-looking 3D engine.

That's the Iron Age Finland Simulator, right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehrunes posted:

Nice. One of the devs posted an extensive look at the Cyclops changes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDqRbTETS8 (upgrades are in experimental but enemy behavior doesn't seem to be) and the lead designer put up some internal feedback here (performance is unsurprisingly the largest complaint).

Oh good. I really hated having my extremely expensive investment be a genuine mobile safe haven I could explore from. That really sucked and I look forward to having to constantly rebuild Cyclops.

Christ, I wish they'd stop listening to those people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehrunes posted:

Uh, listening to who?

The forums posters on Subnautica's official forums who keep demanding stupid poo poo like 'crafting should take 5 minutes' or 'Small predators should be able to destroy the Cyclops.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If they just made sandstone look noticeably different it'd be a much easier issue.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

twistedmentat posted:

Whats up with all the people playing games that demand them to be as hard and punishing as possible? It was Dark Souls wasn't it?

It makes them feel 'hardcore'.

Also, they have the idea that the relaxing fish-touching game is actually really scary and brutal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nothing about the game scared me until the first time I was out at the Aurora, exploring around the place and seeing what I'd find. I'm talking to a friend over Skype because we're both playing and trying to find where the silver's at and all, and I mention to him "I hear some kind of rumbling. I think the ship's settling or something." Then 'HOLY poo poo! WHAT IS THAT!?" because it wasn't one, but two Reapers. That was the first time I ever saw them, and I'd mistaken the screaming for the ship groaning.

Also the first time I died in game, obviously. I think everyone's first Reaper is quite the experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you can build your bases in all kinds of very pretty, cool places. Like, who doesn't secretly dream of having a high tech undersea base amidst an alien mushroom forest, surrounded by pretty fishes?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reginalds are the classiest of fishes, though.

Just look at the name.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So if I don't have a stasis rifle, what's my game plan when something the size of a house shows up and is really pissed off at me? Will they back off and get bored if I juke them enough? I know they don't turn as well as they sprint.

I think that's what stands out about Reapers. They feel like they hate you. You. Personally.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you outswim one? I remember them being faster than you but that was back in the days when you could carry multiple O2 tanks and it would slow you down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel bad eating peepers because they're adorable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Real talk it was a huge shock to me when I started the game up, made two air tanks, and the second one did nothing. I'd taken a long break while waiting for the game to finish development; when did they remove the old 'carry more than one tank but swim slower' thingy?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PantsBandit posted:

I find it hard to eat a fish with a name as cute as "Reginald"

You just have to tell yourself they're really posh and stuck up. Imagine them in a little top hat.

Except that only makes them cuter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like building giant undersea palaces to my own hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny that the realism types never seemed to have a problem with your oxygen tank lasting a couple minutes.