Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Once you get the basics of the stable version down, I highly suggest moving to experimental beta version. The experimental builds have all the newest content. The game is updated several times per day. it's not always content, it's usually just tweaks and fixes, every once in a while something new is added. It currently has large aquariums and farming. Farming means you can plant kelp and mushrooms outside your base. This means endless amounts of kelp and kelp seeds which means endless amounts of fibers, lubricant, and silicone rubber. You can also plant acid mushrooms which means lots of batteries if you can get enough copper. There are other plants that are scattered throughout the game that you can plant but don't really have much use as of yet. There are water plants as well as land plants. You plant the former outside, and the latter in your base.

Large aquariums are build inside a multipurpose room. These allow fish to reproduce. Fish will reproduce until there are 10 fish in the tank. 10 is not the overall limit, it's just the limit for reproducing. Large aquariums can be stacked. So if you build several multipurpose rooms on top of each other, you can build large aquariums in each one. The aquariums span the entire height of your stack of rooms. Each aquarium adds to the reproductive limit. A double height aquarium with Reginalds inside will spawn enough fish to keep you constantly fed.

There are also eggs. Eggs allow you to get larger creatures into your aquarium. Things like stalkers.

Those farming update is supposed to release to stable sometime this month. that solves the food problem. Water is solved by crafting a stillsuit and having a water filtration device.

The main things you need in this game are titanium, quartz and copper. Titanium is easy to get, it's literally everywhere. Pick up scraps of ship and turn it into titanium. The easiest place is near wrecks. Quartz is kind of rare at the beginning of the game but you eventually will find areas that provide nearly endless amounts of it. You just have to find them. Copper is harder because you can only get it from busting up rocks, mostly in the kelp biomes.

Once you get the hang of the game, it's really easy to quickly get set up and scan all the fragments you need for blueprints. Then you just have to explore the world. There are plenty of things to explore and they are always adding more stuff.

I should note, there's two things called experimental in this game. One is the experimental graphics setting, that's not what I'm talking about. The experimental builds are gotten by choosing the experimental beta through steam.

That sounds fantastic once it gets there. RIght now, my issue is the cyclops. The idea behind it seems awesome. The idea of it recharging your seamoth also sounds awesome. The idea you can't park it next to some power units to recharge bothers me to no end. I do hope respawning of materials comes in eventually. Also, a better weapon than a survival knife would be amazing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

This definitely exists.

the freeze gun and propulsion cannon are all I'm aware of. I know you can upgrade the knife, but my main issue is reach. I suppose there is seamoth torps as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
New patch today. Lots of machinery updates. The cyclops gets an exterior camera, thermal reactors have a proper model and bio and nuclear reactors are officially in or something.

However, the biggest news is this:

quote:

Creatures will now respawn after being killed by another creature or the player. This feature was in high demand by you, the players! Thank you for your continued feedback to support the development of Subnautica.

Literally patch of the year with that change.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Unless they were change, they do have a timer, and turning around will cause them to burn through their timer long before they can get back to you. So I usually just side step them as they get close causing them to overshoot. But yeah, they are pretty dangerous fish in general.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Subnautica: The Reapers Have Returned

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Or just strafe sideways. They'll explode harmlessly somewhere when you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just want a docking clamp for the cyclops.