Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I was thinking the same thing, but I dont know why the CellCache data would be triggering a gpu driver bug for people though? Cant argue with the fact that it fixed the problem though. Went from 100% crash rate to no problems at all.

Its gotta be the game doing something wonky thats triggering some flaw in the hardware or software but who the hell knows what it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I found plenty of grappling arms in both the Grand Reef wrecks. But they were all deep inside, I think it took a laser cutter AND a repair tool AND a propulsion gun to move debris in order to get to them, as welling as noticing and swimming down several corridors.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The saddest part of Subnautica is that there's so many good places for a base and so many good views for your bedroom but you can only pick one for your main base.

My base goes through the teleporter from gun island to floater island and I have a bedroom (and soon a moonpool) on each side.

Also the view from halfway up gun island is pretty sweet.

Will post pics today for sure, they werent uplpading last night it was weird.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Come on folks, just hold out a piece of metal and let them take it and they will happily give you a tooth. THAT is what the degrassi log says to do, not fighting them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I dont know what log you are talking about. Theres only one I know of that talks about getting teeth from stalkers and it says to feed them metal to do it.

Although the dude does worry she killed the stalkers anyway even though it wasnt needed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(

Go to the deepest degrassi habitat you've found so far...

And then go deeper.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

For how crucial it is, the modification station really ought to be a more common bit of loot.

You also get it as part of the Degrassi storyline, no need to scan fragments.

Mrenda posted:

What if I crash it? What if it floats away? What if monsters attack it and strand me miles from home? This game ain't good for my heart rate.

A ghost reaper in the lost river/lava zone boundary stole my seamoth and trapped it underground and stranded me a kilometer from the nearest source of oxygen. It was very stressful! It hurt me pretty bad in the process too.

I actually managed to build and power a base before I ran out of air, planted a melon and bulboa seed so long term hunger/thirst are taken care of, thermoblade cooked fish to prevent myself from dying of thirst until they matured, and am now... well, I'm not really entirely sure what I'm going to do next, hahah! I'm just sort of slowly expanding the base and my farm.

I'll figure it out though. I think someone said if you build multiple air tanks you can swap them out for extra time? That might need to be what I end up doing.

I've actually got a scanner room with a bioreactor set up at the tiny alien research facility near the ancient skeleton that I used to find some nickel, which is pretty far from where I am, but if I bring some biomass I could power that up as a waypoint and maybe reach the surface from there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 18, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you love building huge stupid bases like I do, the cyclops is the most useful thing in the game because it has CARGO CAPACITY. Head down to the aurora wreck, fill up twenty lockers with titanium, then go to town. Also makes for an easy storage area for food and water and alien artifacts and other stuff you might need in areas you dont have a base but that you dont want taking up inventory space.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The fear has vanished and been replaced by annoyance, so any advice on making ghost leviathans just kinda gently caress off and go away (or die, if needs must) without torpedoes?

Punch them in the face with your prawn (other hand grapples to their face) over and over and over again.

Oh, and I finally got those images from Friday night uploaded!

First, my Floater Island base:

It's got a big ol' aquarium stack, a room full of water generators, my underwater farm area which still needs to be filled with rare plants, and further down away from the island there's a moonpool and an access door for parking the Cyclops.
Rapid ladders that go both to the top of the island, and to....

here - the cavern that contains the portal! Getting to and from the portal is basically a matter of a few seconds. I didn't know this little entranceway exists until well after I started construction of this upper access route (it originally went the long way around - lots of wasted construction time!) and I'm glad it lined up. Now, thanks to hours and hours of effort (out of water tall structures are... hard) I can save thirty seconds ever time I use this portal. This will never, ever pay off!

on the other side of said portal, you'll find base number two:

This took a lot of titanium and time, and I still have future improvements planned!

The first foundation there is my outdoor farming platform, which I need to expand with every type of plant from both islands. The second platform is for more solar panels and is my rapid descent diving board for arrivals.

I definitely need more multi-purpose rooms, and the I still have some posters and furnishings to add to the inside. I also need to gather like... 200? 300 more quartz, maybe, to get all the windows I want across both bases. Everything needs to be glass! You can see a moonpool was added after this picture.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Lets look at this from the perspective of hull damage; is the current system better than a proposed alternative of where you can only repair at base but have significantly more hull? Not really. Cause right now hull damage is just tedium; you have to occasionally jump out of your ship to patch it up and then go back to driving.

This is the most stupid argument I have heard in a long time.

Right now, hull damage is tense and exciting, because it drops fairly quickly and you have to decide whether to jump out NOW and repair it NOW while you still can even if the danger is still around, putting you character in direct peril. If you screw up, preserving your vehicle either means risking danger, or completely escaping from danger first and then topping off.

Meanwhile, in response to a system describes as "tedium" (but which has great potential for real meaningful risk and reward choices) you propose a system that is literally tedium incarnate - every time the player takes damage, they now have to decide between risking their vehicle by continuing the journey, or doing a boring and time consuming jaunt back to home base to repair. Which is exactly the same as how the current mechanic works except you have added a buttload of transit time, aka tedium.

As much as I criticize the devs sometimes I am super glad some of you arent having any sort of say in how this game works, yeesh. You would suck all the fun and tension right out of it in favour of tedium and busy work.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rynoto posted:

2x Jump Jets, Thermal, Depth, Drill, Grappling Hook is what I run most of the time.

I usually stick an extra drill and grappling hook in my inventory so I can double grapple while moving and double drill while drilling. Feels like it really speeds things up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think its especially to describe replacing the current situation, which is harder and more challenging than the proposed alternative (but less tedious) as somehow making the game harder. Its literally "lets make the game less fun and also easier buy the player has to risk BOREDOM" as a game mechanic.

Its the groggiest of the grog brainworms at work here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 19, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

R. Mute posted:

Is there any real point to the Cyclops - aside from functioning as a mobile resource depository while I was building my second base? It's unwieldy, sluggish, useless against leviathans and the like. The Prawn suit's pretty nippy anyway and can punch everything in the face so why bother?

The whole point of the cyclops is that having one means you never have to build a second base. Anything you can do in a base you can do in a cyclops, although being able to recharge power cells comes later and is never very effective so you will want to build like eighteen of those and a whole bunch of batteries so you only have to return to your normal base once ever to recharge them, and even thats based on puttering around doing poo poo that isnt needed.

Although its also a really amazing cargo truck, yeah, incredibly useful for that if you DO want to build a second base. You can even store an entire base inside (I do, I have a locker for scanner room and thermal power, and one the moonpool and upgrade station, and a third for power cell chargers. If needed, I just build a base on the fly and disassemble it when I am done)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Watching it fling stalkers and stuff around is pretty hilarious. Also nabs resources pretty quick.

If it was a 1x1 device I would carry it with me everywhere but I just cant justify losing that much storage space for a niche device so instead I carry it with me nowhere despite really liking it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There are complete prawn suits in some of the wrecks as well, the aurora isnt the only place to find them. And unlike the fragments I dont think they are random.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nuclear reactors dont take much material and last for a good long while in most bases. Better than babysitting power imo, and usually easy enough to grab a titanium and two quartz for them while you are out.

Solar and thermal are both still better though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

My biggest complaint is where the multipurpose room is. I explored the lost river before I got to it. Had to completely redo my mother base :argh:

You get like... two different plotlines to go to where they are, and three different regions that have them! How did you miss them for so long?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The only radio transmission I didn't follow-up immediately was the one where the location was corrupted, although I think I found it by myself later. Where exactly are the multipurpose room blueprints according to the story?

You can find them via:
Commander Keen's orders (he sends a transmission ordering you to meet him on the floating island, and if you have even a modicum of curiosity it's impossible to miss the base with the multi-purpose room. You might not realize you should scan it, though)

Uncovering either the grand reef or jellyshroom cave Degrassi seabases. These are also plotline locations, although they require you to have actually completed the plotline tasks on Floater Island to show up on your HUD, so they are mostly a second and third chance to do the scan if you didn't realize you were supposed to while exploring earlier. Entering the Jellyshroom caves at all should immediately reveal some constructions and provoke you to explore for more though, so still a valid route - I actually found that really early on without being guided there. Deep reef base you probably won't just stumble upon.

The Sunbeam plotline - this should end with you exploring inside the alien base and also the rest of the island. They have towers that light up and literally guide you to the portal from right next to where you are supposed to meet the Sunbeam. The portal drops you off right near the scannable bases on Floater island.

If you explore the mountain island a little bit you should find the portal - there's a very clear path that leads you right to it, with moving parts and lights to make it more obvious.

Also I don't mind them locking up the multipurpose room because it's... not really terribly useful? It's mostly there for decoration and optional late game stuff, if you spend the whole game without it the only thing you miss out in is the alien containment - and you can only get that from places that have multipurpose rooms to scan!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 21, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

you need the room for a bioreactor which is arguably the best power source if you don't have solar available.

That's called "thermal power". Bioreactor is mostly for if you want to build a base in a lovely spot there's no reason to build a base in.

Pollyanna posted:

Tag yourself I'm the "Line: -1".

I'm "BaseRoot.IsLeaking"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The multipurpose room not having any huge benefit is exactly why it shouldn't be locked. The main reason people want it is for aesthetics. Since you can't actually do anything with it you can't do with a simple hallway at the start, there's no reason it should be withheld from the player.

Literally all of the aesthetics stuff aside from windows is locked and you have to go out and find it. You don't start with any aesthetics stuff, and of the aesthetic stuff the multi-purpose room is by far the easiest to find with multiple instances of it in fixed locations and multiple signals pointing you at it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I forgot about the aquarium. I also had one in my first basic base before I got the multipurpose room.

Also I agree with the above. Expanding from a lovely base to figuring out how to make the basic rooms work to make a nice one to getting and integrating tje big rooms is a good progression, gamefeel wise.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 22, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

I was playing hardcore, exploring the Lost River biome and popping out of my seamoth to pick up resources and scan things. Turned to go back to my seamoth just in time to watch it get exploded by a Ghost Leviathan. 85 seconds of air, time to go back to the surface. I said "Oh, fuuuuuck" loud enough to wake up a sleeping cat.

I had something similar happen to me. I wrote up a version of it in this thread, and also posted it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7zfzur/i_cant_believe_im_still_alive_that_was_one_wild/

I assume your trip didn't go as well.

(My seamoth would have certainly blown up if I hadn't had a reinforcement mod on it, when I finally got it back it was down to like 23% health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish there was a better source of quartz. I can never get enough of that stuff. If you want your base to look pretty you need soooooo much glass.

Better than the Lost River?

Because its pretty damned good.