Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Grabbed this on a whim, very much enjoying it.

This game has an amazingly strong sense of place--the lighting in particular does a great job of making the underwater environments feel alternately claustrophobic and terrifyingly infinite. The variety in atmosphere between different environments is also pretty striking, which is great because seeing new sights is still the primary reward and motivation for play.

I dig the base fabrication, particularly how easy it is to sprawl out and run ridiculous habitrail labyrinths all over the map (whoever made the call that climbing ladders should be instantaneous deserves a raise). Also find it pretty amusing that in a total reversal from the typical survival-crafting norm gold and diamonds are utter trash and copper is the prized resource I never have enough of.

The weakest part for me is currently the aggressive wildlife. The 3-dimensional nature of the environment and the constant visibility restrictions lead to attacks that feel totally out of nowhere way too often, and like other posters I still only have a puny little dive knife for protection despite having been rolling around in a Cyclops for hours and hours. The little red piranha guys and exploding suicide fish in particular feel entirely like video game enemies placed around the environment to hinder a player and not predators in an ecosystem.

Only major bug I've run into so far was a random Seamoth despawn that drowned me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

You can also just leave beacons at all the points of interest.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I think if they added something like really big salvage chunks that need to be loaded and carried back to base in the Cyclops vehicle bay it'd add a lot--as-is, the Cyclops is pretty exclusively a quality-of-life upgrade and that makes it feel more hollow than a giant, kickass submarine should. A binary increase in capability, like the Prawn suit's drill arm letting you finally crack those big resource nodes, and a concrete reason to actually take the sub somewhere beyond easy access to lockers would really make it more interesting as a gameplay element, I think.