Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Bought this on sale like others. Love it it's beautiful. My pod did drift so its possible. In my case it seemed it drifted suddenly when I died and respawned in it. It jerked and when I got out I was on top of the algea forest thingy. Maybe 100m from starting location.

Those loving exploding fishes.

edit: Just realised that when I use the fabricator enough my ship starts to move under my feets. or A fish is bumping it. I would not mind much if there was a hanchor of some sort you could craft.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You should work towards fabricating a habitat builder tool, so you can make anchored seabases that you can upgrade with neat stuff. The escape pod is just a temporary base for you.

I think the drifting pod is a bigger problem in this patch. I visited a faraway location for an in-game day or two, and when I tried to return to the pod it was 2 powercells of Seamoth travel away

Yeah got my first base going. Things are looking up I have the first propulsion thingy forgot the name and it's much faster and fun to get around.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

This game! HAd no idea it would be this good. Found "signals" poiting me to stuff. One in somewhere deep in an abyss I cannot get there yet. But another one is this huge island with plants and everything it's loving gorgeous. Also I can see bases on top of the montains on the island looking for a way to get there.

Had my seamoth disapear on me.. Had stranded it on the beach. When I reloaded my game I can see the marker to where the ship could be but there is nothing there and walking around I don't bump into it or anything. Oh well. Built a new one it's not very expensive.

Don't get why peoples on other forums (reddit et co) hate on the cyclops so much. It's slow! ! Well I guess it's a question of opinion. For me the cyclops is not a submarine to get deep or have cool explorations. It's a loving mobile base. I park it somewhere and launch missions from there. It's perfect for that. To move fast the seamoth is much much better.

Anyways. Got to go back explore this game. Also I recommend the expertimental version. In the 3 days I've had this game I must of gotten 3-4 updates already. The dev team is a loving dream in the context of a early release. Constant communication, open trello board, updates non stop.

Almost feel bad I got this for 12$.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well wadayaknow just found my seamoth! It was burried under the sand. The loving thing almost killed me too when I dug it up. It jumped out of the sand on my head. Now I have two seamoths. Oh well !

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

While this is already a fantastic game with lots of potential some bugs/omissions are really starting to irritate me. I understand it's a early access and givin all the disapointment I have had with these(Godus, castle story, etc..) I do think subnautica is above these by far (quality is great, the devs are by far the most active and opened (public trello for the win) I have ever seen on steam).

The biggest thing I miss/need is a loving compass/navball/map/anything. How the gently caress do you create such a wonderful game with wonderful ships and I don't have anything else then the aurora to orient myself. Underwater in the cyclops I cannot see anything below me. I don't know how I am supposed to go deep with the thing (or not even deep just anywhere "below"). I know I could place tons of beacons or whatnot I just find that boring and it's already confusing enough with all the white blinking indicators (original pod, 3 submarines, 2 signals).

Maybe I don't "get" the scanner on the seamoth. To me it's so small I cannot interpret anything meaningly.

Much less critical but unexplainably absent is mouse wheel support to switch tools. It's not dramatic that it's not there it's just that it seems like a trivial thing to add when you start any game with different tools/weapons.

There is a long list of things I want done but I understand the game is in dev so oof course everything is not there.

But I think I'll leave the game for now and wait for a significant update before burning out completely.*

*wil probably play anyways because I am an idiot who always gets burnedout from early access and when the game gets done have no interest anymore.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Metal Meltdown posted:

It's been possible in past builds to craft a compass. I heard that the recipe isn't in this build but I just ended up using the console and spawned one for myself. Having a compass is so drat handy I feel like it should be a default item.

Wait what? There is one but it's "disabled"? I'll have to hunt around for that (if it's still available). No Idea why they would do that perhaps it was bugged beyond easy fixes and it got put on ice. The devs do have a strong vision for their game (no lethal weapons for example) and thi scan be a double edged sword. It's pretty neat that they keep with their vision and all I just hope in the end it's a vision I like.

edit: seems it is there you have to hold mgnetite or a computer chip to see it in the fabricator. Wich is one feature I hate. Now to get it to work... Having it in inventory does nothing it seems. I cannot put it in a slot (1-5). I cannot add it to the seamoth.

BTW are the "official" forums for this game? Or are steam and reddit it?

edit2: oooh had to equip it on my shoulders.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 20, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

JamieTheD posted:

You put it in your chip slot, last I recall. Y'know, where you'd put the thermometer.

Tried that it did not work. But what did was put it on me from my inventory. Same place you put signals. Then it worked.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

I have never had a problem with this, and in fact really like the way the game handles it with the compass and nav beacons. I drop a bunch of nav beacons everywhere, and then memorize other features like "There's a vent halfway between the Lighthouse and Bird Spire Islands, there's a wreck I need to explore halfway between the Blood Kelp Chasm and the Glowing Cliffs" etc. and so on.

Also might be worth noting you can name your beacons.

When I wrote this post I did not know about the compass. It did make it much more navigable. I know to use my pod and the aurora to orient but when I am deep looking for stuff and want to head home. I hated having to surface to know where I am at. With the compass I head straight for home. Also the beacons and pods don't always showe up. Often I have to move around quite a bit before I can see the markers.

Abd kets agree to disagree on the map! I think it would be great. The kind that unlocks as you advance of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

It's a mix of procedural and hand crafted. It started mostly procedural, but they are making more and more of it is hand crafted as they go on. They seem to feel the hand crafted bits just plain produce better results, and I can't disagree. I think only the dunes are still fully procedural?

I'm following the official forums and some of things the dev say make it pretty clear the game will end up pretty restricted. They clame that they don't want to do more subs becaus e making subs is long and they don't have the finances. I can understand that somewhat except I wonder how they coded the subs so that it's a massive undertaking to add another one.

But the procedural vs hand crafted world is what I think will make the replayability less. I love that because they handcraft everything it looks fantastic. But they say the final map should be around 4km/4km because it is difficult and long to create. If it was procedural there could be no limit.

So they claim to not have that much time to add subs. Are against weapons. Are not sure about mods. And made a decision that makes it so the map will remain somewhat smallish for ever.

It will still be a great game. But probably not one I play for hundreds of hours like some other sandboxes. Wich is a shame.