Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Efexeye posted:

It's so much more fun than The Long Dark

I think they're both good games, but this is a very true statement. Like, in the time it takes you to loot an abandoned cabin, you can cruise across half the ocean and build a shiny new seabase wherever you end up. The Long Dark wants you to carefully reflect on the world and your actions, and Subnautica is all LETS GO SWIMMING AND BUILD PRETTY AQUARIUMS YAAAAAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

There really needs to be a default power option for bases, even if it's just crafting batteries and cramming them into a slot in the wall for a few minutes of power.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?appid=264710

:raise:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

As a Minecraft player it makes perfect sense to me

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that Subnautica is one of the few games in the survival genre that really resonates with me. Are there any decent LP's on Youtube where the player isn't an insufferable rear end that covers a fourth of the screen with his ugly mug?

MrKravin has a little series on Subnautica, and he's frankly adorable. He does a whole Survival Sunday series if you like his style, too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

If they're going to require you to scan a multi-purpose room then they might as well make the floating island visible so new people actually know to loving go there. I didn't and I ended up suicide-diving into the jellyshroom caves just to build a decent base.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

A button to pulse interactables would be really useful considering how cluttered the seafloor can get. I always have a miserable time finding anything in the red grassy areas. They could limit it to just pulsing things that have a light on them if they want to keep people grubbing around in the dark areas, just make it easier to figure out if I'm looking at scanable garbage or literal garbage.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Section Z posted:

Hand tailored uber death monsters because just a simple lack of map geometry ruins my IMMERSION :byodood: Now an infinite supply of reapers who exist only to kill me? That's the realistic survival experience I crave :downs:

Somewhere, this is basically the argument put forth without much in the way of hyperbole.

Is that really why we're not getting some absurdly huge maw rising out of the darkness to swallow and kill you? Possibly implying that the entire play area sits on the back of some unfathomably enormous organism that preys on the creatures that stray from it?

'Cause uhhh that would be my vote. I'm giving myself shivers just thinking about it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I get why survival games want you to have to stuff your face every five minutes or so (to make provisioning and planning for long excursions a thing) but I don't think this is the kind of game that really benefits from that kind of detail. I'd much prefer if your food/water needs could be satisfied passively by technology, like just by adding water purifiers and farms to your base. I don't mind scrabbling for food for the first hour or two but if I have a fully-operational submarine fleet I feel kind of stupid having to worry about starving because I didn't pick enough potatoes and stuff them into lockers.

With something like The Long Dark, it makes more sense to have to eat because you're kinda managing a whole spreadsheet of calories and temperatures and other crunchy stuff, but Subnautica doesn't feel paced right for having to stop for a snack every few minutes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I dunno, I've been playing Subnautica again and finally got the Cyclops back and after a few hours, I think the developers were right about this one. With the old Cyclops I would just motor it right to wherever I wanted to gently caress around and set up shop but now I'm thinking more about how to get where I'm going and what's around me. Silent running is essentially invincibility but if you start cavitating that's like a dinner bell for every rear end in a top hat in the biome to eat your sub. So I can zoom through the kelp forests and plateaus but once things start showing up on sonar I kick it down to silent running and decide how close I want to get to my destination before breaking out in the Seamoth. Taking it to dark and scary places feels scary again, the same way it does when you're puttering around in the Seamoth, but parking it in silent mode still gives the same sense of relief.

I understand that some people want a base they can run around in and park wherever with impunity but for me, the Cyclops changes honestly make using it more interesting just because there are decisions to make and things to pay attention to now. I've spent more time with it post-update than pre- because it feels more like a submarine I have to manage than the magical gamebox it was before. I don't find using it tedious at all, definitely not like having to feed myself every 5 minutes or sift through piles of lead and titanium for some god damned copper.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think Cyclops taking damage would be ok if fish were a bit more dynamic, but apparently trying to take a bite out of a hardened titanium hull just makes them hungry for more.

Now if they ran away after trying to take a chunk out of my giant ball of metal, then I'd feel happier making the repairs because at least I know the area is clear for a while.

That's kinda how it works though. The fish (and by "fish" we're talking about bone sharks, not biters or stalkers or even sand sharks) only attack the Cyclops when it's making noise. The moment you go silent, they scatter. You have control over how clear the area is... if you want to putter around in silent mode forever you're basically invulnerable unless you drive it down a reaper's gullet. The dynamic is figuring out when you're safe to speed up and when you need to go dark, you never just get attacked randomly or without recourse.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The point is that you "know the area is clear for a while" because you have control over that. Attacks are entirely dynamic, just based on how much sound you're making instead of... what your boat is made of, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Right, I'm pretty sure this means the thread has reached unsalvageable levels of negative garbage. Between this and my last attempt at being positive about the game I'm sure as hell never coming back.