Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Picked this up a few years ago and burned out a bit trying to finish it, right around trying to get the Cyclops down through the magma zones. Picked it back up this month and played through a roughly 28 hour run and finally beat it! I missed an achievement because while I grew Cuddlefish I never released one :(

Is sub-zero in good enough shape to buy? I loved Subnautica and still in that kind of exploration mood. If it's not good to go I may just do another play through and make all the bases I wanted to make but never got around to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I just want my Alien Containment areas to more accurately represent the local biomes where I discovered the samples

Also a giant aquarium-style room I can fill with towering cylindrical alien containments with flora and fauna from every biome I vist

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Going from the Seamoth to the Cyclops was such a big shift in the original game. You went from zooming around with super agility to driving a building. Going into the lost river with the sea moth was no biggie but getting the Cyclops through without a Leviathon seeing you was some awesome Hunt for Red October poo poo. Then inevitably you’d get whacked and try to book it out and get away and have to run around putting out fires and repairing cracks only to get to the lava zone and realize you don’t have something you need and have to go all the way back up

It was such a great design decision and made these sprawling areas you may first explore in the Seamoth feel downright cramped and inescapable.

Plus it was super fun to stock the Cyclops up with everything you figure you’d need then drop out in the Prawn Suit to drill some ore while warily watching where the Sea Dragon was.

Man Subnautica really nailed it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I gotta say the Pre-prawn portion of this game had a lot more awesome free-diving portions. In Vanilla I feel like I got a Seamoth depth upgrade and was fine to explore everything through the river with that. Here I couldn’t find a depth module to save my life so I wound up seagliding to several story beacons using oxygen plants and it was super fun

This happened all the way through the Prawn suit mine area. I found my way into it free diving through a thermal vent my truck couldn’t fit into. I slid along the path of oxygen plants, found the alien artifact, then got greedy scanning prawn suits. I realized I couldn’t get back the way I came so I figured my only chance was forward. Found the main mine entrance and a few more oxygen plants on the way and finally found my way outside and revved as fast as I could to the surface blacking out and thought I had died. It was a super fun element I don’t think I had experienced in the game before since in the original the only
times you’d be in danger like this were wrecks.

Now I have my prawn suit and went back in to mine the hell out of those nodes. If only I can remember where I found the first parts of the speed and horsepower modules for the truck and the grappling arm. Also major hurdle was finding a drat spiral plant. I had scanned it but had zero idea WHERE so I just zoomed around for a few hours looking for it and getting distracted by cool stuff.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hot take - don’t use quality of life mods. Tons of the enjoyment is in organizing resources and remembering to bring beacons and not knowing where something is. It creates stories and makes it feel real

Having all your items sorted for you automatically sounds dumb as hell. Why not just use console commands. Making a big base and getting ingredients ready then hull integrity falls and oh poo poo where did I leave my repair tool is the point of the game.

And like a map? I mean cmon. A map would straight up ruin this game. Draw one yourself with a ruler and some colored pencils.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Is anyone else getting a super weird reflection effect on their double-wide alien containments?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I once got all the way into the lava zone in my cyclops and went to hop into my prawn suit only to realize I left it in my base.

Also you all are crazy for building main bases in weird spots I have one giant base next to my escape pod / drop pod and MAYBE a few thermal scanning rooms for annoying pickups and fragments.

Doing a run with dozens of massive bases does sound kind of fun though…

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hot take I didn’t mind the snow fox. Dropped a pad for it by a good truck drop off and used one of my storage module slots for it and another for my cold suit. I’d hop out and hop on and boom good to go!

Handing was totally different from the underwater craft but what do you expect. Just took maybe 5 minutes to get used to the mouse vs strafe interaction and I was golden. Boost module and I was flying around the snow zone.

Brought 12 beacons and dropped them around key spots and it was super easy navigating. Everyone’s all “oh no this survival game is hard to navigate” like that’s the point for goodness sake.

Snow fox rules. All you seamoth spoiled scrubs can’t handle the seatruck and snow fox handling and it shows.

Above ground did need way more biomes however. Do an above ground volcano area. A cool crystal above ground area or a sudden temperate forest heated by the heat plants. Above ground area suffered but it’s not cause you couldn’t figure out the grace of the snow fox.

Jump on. Boost across a ravine. Jump off and pick the snow fox up. Dive underwater and find a new entrance jump out and redeploy it.

All you folks stomping around in the above ground areas in a 2 mph prawn suit suit complaining about the pacing of the above ground parts are like the “there’s got to be a better way!” actors in a SnowFox informercial.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I really just want more base customization options and decorations. Make it look all rusted out like Marges with bones around or some star-trek style ultra slick station. The colors were a great addition - I went with a deep blue on my big base and it looked gorgeous.

My biggest thing in Subnautica 3 is being able to make alien containments look like their biomes beyond just a few plants. If I plant some jelly shrooms the alien containment should get darker and look like the jelly caves and let my baby crab snakes hide in them.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Playing the first game in creative mode with my five year old and built a scanner room in the tree room looking for creature eggs for our aquarium (alas no, the one thing he wants more is an aquarium full of lava larva and I worry it will be impossible) only to discover there are metric poo poo tons of Nickle in that area along with nodes full of everything you’d ever need. drat. I got to excited to see the cool tree and lava zone and wasted so much time searching the upper river for nonsense.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Subnautica should have a map but only show a 3D map of the relative positions of all your beacons and any terrain revealed by your scanner rooms.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah I liked that aspect actually. Made me feel like I was piloting a vessel designed for more people but it's just me so I gotta adapt.

Oh yeah! Wasn’t there some message about the cyclops having a large crew requirement? It made it feel overwhelming when poo poo went down and you were trying to run away while fighting fires going silent and launching decoys and having no idea where you were.

The music helped too Abandon Ship is a total slapper.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Who docks a Seamoth in a Cyclops?!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hey it’s not space magic to make a base you also need a 2x2 foot square piece of random wreckage and a fun crystal you found in a cave.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The part that I got stuck on was I somehow missed the scannable hydraulic fluid on the bridge so I spent hours searching every lab and dig site for the drat recipe before googling it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Must have played 50 hours of this on creative mode with my 5 year old just exploring, building random bases, giant 300 foot towers filled with alien containment, naming and painting various submarines, and reading about the ecosystem. So many good memories =)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The seamoth will get you far but it won’t get you far enough.

For those who are annoyed by a lack of a map I used to think the same thing - like a rough map that filled in as you played. Instead in my next play through I made a little drawing map and dropped ~12 beacons at key locations like cavern entrances or key resource areas and that did the trick for me.

Try not to read too much about the end. The best part of this game is spending 3 hours preparing for a huge expedition only to find out you need the one thing you didn’t bring and another thing you don’t even know where to find. Assume there’s something cool and scannable at each new depth you reach and you’ll be fine.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I think Below Zero suffered from being the sequel more than anything else - if the first game didn’t exist to compare it to it would have been a triumph of course.

But at the same time I felt there was a lot atmospheric that could have been done way better. In the original game there are a lot of ticking clock moments like the ship exploding or going to meet the “rescue” ship. At the same time there’s a growing sense of dread as you find life pods and degassi stations abandoned and hear an alien signal saying they are hunting you. It made it feel like something was just around the corner.

In Below Zero there are all these amazingly designed abandoned bases both on the surface and underwater but you get a lot of info that undercuts this. I was baffled there were so many references to the alien imposter game they were all playing assuming it was hinting towards some darker subplot you could find out about betrayal or madness among the Alterra crew and even a threat of someone still behind targeting you but no you get logs just saying so and so left the planet.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Funnily enough the biggest barrier I had in this game was the hydraulic fluid. After about ten hours exploring every corner of the map I finally googled it and felt a strong urge to uninstall the game

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I blame literally everyone except myself.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

People who hate BZ took their prawn suit into the above-ground sections instead of Getting Good and going full Snowfox and are like “ugh this sucks the above ground is so boring”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The part that had me raging was my 6-hour search for the hydraulic fluid recipe.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Meskhenet posted:

I think i know why i finished subnautica but not BZ.

I stopped playing BZ when that lady gave me a fetch quest.

I just loled about it now that i actually typed it out. Oh well.

Subnautica is just all fetch quests. It’s just fetch quests but in deeper and deeper water.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

(Playing Below Zero): ugh this npc just gave me a fetch quest this game sucks I’m going back to the original.
Subnautica: go collect these five plant clippings from all over the map.
Ugh finally so much better I hated that lame fetch quest in BZ.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Of all the things I could have missed in both games I spent hours scouring the Below Zero map for any human settlement or wreck that could possibly have a blueprint for hydraulic fluid for the bridge. Went all the way down and back multiple times.

Finally googled it and was loving pissed as hell.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Some metals can be tricky. As a general rule the metals you need to get to depth x are generally available at slightly shallower depths. Some can be hard to find - poke around every new area for things for sure.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

This whole thread opening a big can of cope branded “actually I liked using the Prawn Suit on the surface making everything take 10x longer and it wasn’t just because I couldn’t get a hang for the SnowFox controls. Also unrelated but the above water sections took sooooo long clearly bad design”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Getting the Seamoth in Subnautica was like being able to walk after having to crawl scraping at the ocean floor for hours

Not only the speed and feel of it but it was also the first easy way to get oxygen down to where you’re searching and opened everything up to about 250 m so the world got so much bigger right as you were able to move through it faster which is honestly such good game design it makes me jealous

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I had a near death experience after going on a super long oxygen plant fueled sea glide trip into a cave in Below Zero. It turned into the area at the bottom of the main mine shaft which I hadn’t seen yet so I looked around all excited and lost my sense of direction. Finally found the main shaft and got to the surface while the screen was going black. Super fun and honestly stressful.

If you treat the oxygen plants in BZ as an excuse to do long-range sea glide exploration it’s fun but super risky and adds a nice layer to the game. Don’t wait for a prawn suit get in there and take your life in your hands.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I played creative mode with my kiddo since they were 4 and had so much fun with this game. They’re 7 now and we finally started a survival mode game and actually managing everything with them is just insanely fun.

We’ve taken tons of notes on where to find things and beacons so they will randomly say to me as I’m driving them to school “I think we can find some lithium if we go to the Dry Land beacon.” Such a blast

Still a bit scary but now that I’ve played the game 4-5 times I’m pretty good at avoiding jump scares or laughing them off.

Released a Cuddlefish by our base and he immediately got attacked by a stalker who had somehow de-tethered from the kelp zone by our base lmao. I did a quick google and confirmed the fish didn’t die but may have been teleported somewhere.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah the game has a bit of a weird thing where to make your base look nice with lots of glass you have to make part of it look like poo poo with reinforcements and foundations.

I try to cover my foundations with grow beds to make them look purposeful and pretty and then hide 3-4 reinforcements in weird corners where the view wouldn’t be nice. But one large room glass roof will really gently caress your hull integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Below Zero did a super good job of using oxygen plants and complicated locations to create almost a push your luck game of exploration. I wound up swimming down a crack in a volcano so deep I came out into the mines and was desperately scanning prawn suit fragments and grabbing rubies while panicking over where the next oxygen plant might be. I wound up having to swap my laser cutter battery into my dead sea glide while aiming straight up the mining shaft at the end and wound up on the surface at -4 seconds or oxygen 500m from my seatruck.