Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love this game. I made a toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I played through to the end of BZ. Overall I enjoyed it but the first game was the better of the two. However, BZ did have a a great story that kept me engaged, right up till the end. The world had some cool parts like the twisty bridges and the lily pad islands, but the rest was kinda boring. It felt a lot smaller too but that’s probably because a 1/4 or so of the game is overland. The overland sections felt forced and honestly, they shouldn’t have bothered. The snow fox could’ve been cool but was kinda too glitchy and fragile. The land worms got annoying real fast. I wasn’t a fan of the sea truck either and would’ve preferred the Cyclops return instead. Oh well. But I did enjoy the game. If they make a third, I hope they take their time with it and not rush. BZ just felt kinda rushed in places. But it’s still an amazing accomplishment for an Indy studio just like the first one was. 8/10

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zachack posted:

My big takeaway is that in 10 years when they both get remastered the cyclops and sea truck need to be switched in the games. BZ being smaller meant that I really only needed one base, so having a big home base and a true mobile base with the cyclops would be just right - let me park my rear end in the glaciers or lilypads or whatever and do excursions from there using the prawn for the various tunnel systems, while the cyclops fends off the somewhat too-numerous hostile critters. On the other side, OG was big enough that I wanted multiple bases, which makes the sea truck as a base intermediary vehicle a lot better, and I think the final areas would have been more fun if the cyclops hadn't been so big and clunky.

Navigating a fully upgraded Cyclops through the lost river and into the lava zone was the highlight of the game for me. Dropping distraction torpedoes, hitting the shields when you get attacked, steering it through the cramped passageways. All of that was fun as hell. But gently caress those lava leech assholes forever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The only story part of BZ that fizzled for me was the frozen leviathan and your sister’s fate. The rest was great and I thought the ending was pretty good. But I think they wanted to do more with the frozen leviathan but just didn’t get it done.

The first game’s story was better though, especially the reveal at the end when you make it down to the containment facility.

I really hope we get a sequel in the same universe but they should take a good 4-5 years to make it and not rush.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 5, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I also have to say that in BZ I really liked the more chill fauna- gently caress warpers forever, what a massively annoying monster.

(I haven't reached the end yet so maybe there's a BZ equivalent?)

Nah just a couple rear end in a top hat reapers in the final crystal cave, hopefully you’ve got the sea truck bug zapper installed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Best thing I love about the cyclops is being able to build poo poo on the inside. Make an indoor grow bed and fill it with marblemelons and never worry bout food/water again while in the field.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The bugzapper upgrade in the sea moth takes care of them. You won’t take much damage if you can time it right, unless they sneak up on you. It can drain power though so it helps if you’ve gotten far enough for the ion power cell upgrade.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The floating air pump and pipes are great in the early game when you don’t have ultra high capacity air tanks or a sea moth yet. They’re great for the grasslands where it’s past 100 meters and has some the large wrecks early on that you need to explore for key blueprints. For the longest time I never knew that you could run a pipe from a pump on the surface down to a wreck that gives you a place to refill your oxygen. But once you get a sea moth and start exploring beyond the grasslands it’s no longer needed as much or at all.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 18, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's crazy (but neat) how long this game has technically been available. Like I said, I just played it in May, but I'm seeing some LPs of it that are 3-4 years old. Game still feels fresh to me, like it was made this year.

I really need to give BZ a shot. I know it's a different vibe, but I need something.

BZ is a fine sequel. The story is “eh” for some, I didn’t think it was that bad. First game is definitely better though. The overworld sections are mostly a missed opportunity but there are a few cool areas. The Cyclops is replaced with a modular sea truck that’s also hit and miss. Prawn suit’s back and just as cool. The overworld vehicle, the Snowfox, is utter crap. I quit loving with it and just took my prawn suit instead.

If you like Subnautica and want more, definitely get it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TTBF posted:

I've got all the blueprints I feel I need except the grappling arm for the prawn. I've searched all over and nothing. Well today I was loving about in the Dunes in the prawn when I came across a big chasm. I knew I couldn't get back up if I jumped down so I was looking for a way across it. Suddenly I hear a roar behind me. I turn around and immediately get grabbed by a reaper. It proceeded to swim me over the chasm I was trying to avoid and then threw me down after it was tired of me drilling and punching it in the face. I landed on a huge wreck which contained one grappling arm fragment.

What's the easiest lost river entrance to drive the cyclops through?

I always use the entrance near lifepod 2. You only have to dodge one ghost reaper junior and once past that you’re near the blue tree.

Bring the ingredients for a thermal plant and a small base and build a supply depot by that tree on one of the vents.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 4, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I’m looking for the next survival builder drug. I’m either going with Medieval Dynasty or The Raft. MD is out of early access, while Raft is not, so maybe I’ll go with MD. Anybody played those two?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Found a time capsule early on in my recent play through. Was initially disappointed that it had a scanner and repair tool inside it…then I notice that they hooked me up with ion batteries in both tools!

:dance:

Hell yeah, I’m gonna pay that forward when I leave on the Neptune.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is there really anything else to name it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prawn Suit is always named Ripley.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna require a full restart. Give the full survival mechanics a try, they’re not that obnoxious. You’ll feel more proud of yourself when you beat the game. Then don’t be afraid to turn them off for secondary play through.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

the amount of water I'm supposed to drink IRL is pretty obnoxious too. all I do is piss it out again

Build the filtration suit so you can drink your recycled pee.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

My problem is that I'm finding all of the blueprints drastically out of order. I have all of these upgrades for a 'prawn' and I'll be hosed if I know what one of those is. Solar power isn't cutting it but I can't fit the bioreactor anywhere in my base and I don't know how to make aerogel for a thermal reactor. I finally managed to get a moonpool but i apparently need something else to make my seamoth upgrades, so the moonpool right now is just3 a garage that loses power every night. The real problem with all of this is that I am very bad at navigation even in games with maps and I'm stuck with a compass and my own stupid brain because, get this, it's been ten loving hours and I still haven't found the blueprints to make beacons.

Also I'm stressed out because I have space dysentery or whatever my mystery disease is, and the planet is under quarantine. Which hits a little different than it probably did in 2014. Also watching the building unfold into a cannon and shoot the friendly space-folks who were coming to rescue me was a real bummer.

I know, isn’t it amazing!
:allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Played for a few hours. It took a while for me to learn to stop picking up titanium and wreckage. I built several floating storage lockers. Finding enough silver for all the important stuff was annoying and it still is annoying, but at least I know to look for sandstone deposits now. It took longer than I liked to be able to craft the compass, despite finding the blueprint very early.

I actually reloaded some of my earlier saves to deliberately undo "progress". One of which was the timed distress call, which I didn't want to do because at that point I had no habitat tool, no rebreather (still don't!), no seamoth (still don't!) and no safe way to get down to the pod 300 m down. (My initial "brilliant" idea of a floating air pump and pipes was going to take a LOT more pipes than I cared to make.)

I've built a habitat almost underneath the escape pod, partly because the first one I attempted to build at a cliff edge was 60 m away and it took me a while to find it again. When I play again, I'm going to look for more silver ore so I can get the Rebreather, which I think will let me swim deeper without issue.

Definitely get that rebreather going, visit new life pods as you get them prompted and it’s time to start looking for giant wrecks in the red grassland areas. Don’t be afraid to use an air pump and a bunch of pipes to help you explore a wreck. You get like five pipes for like 1 or 2 titanium, it’s easy to set up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

star eater posted:

that’s how i explored the jellyshroom cave super early so i could suicide run getting the multi purpose room blueprint

Lol never thought of that, I usually scan it on the island.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I already have a few beacons set up at places. I do have a question about base-building. It seems that adding more components onto a base decreases its hull strength. So I should only make single rooms or small bases? How do I mitigate that?

I made a bunch of Titanium ingots, but I don't seem to have much use for those yet.

You need lithium for hull reinforcement. A cheaper method is to install bulkhead doors but they give less hull strength.

Lithium is found in the deeper areas of the game. Though there’s an easy way to get a ton: the weapons platform island has a cave with tons of easy to pluck lithium, diamonds, and gold. But it’s full of spiders, so get stabbing!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Make sure to install a power cell charger so your Cyclops never runs out of energy!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We were joking about the power cell and battery chargers. Using them in the Cyclops will drain your power a lot quicker than it charges it back up. The battery charger can be used in emergencies but it’s usually not worth it.

All you really want in there is storage, a fabricator, an indoor grow bed with marblemeloms, and maybe some cosmetic stuff if you want.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

star eater posted:

i checked out the deathrun mod but it is a little too intense for someone who doesn’t exactly have the map memorized. needing magnetite for the habitat builder is brutal.

other changes include no breathing surface air without a air pump, the bends, deeper radiation, more scans for items, higher power usage, sunken escape pod

it’s all adjustable tho.

drat, they don’t call it a death run for nothing. How you explore the islands if you can’t breath surface air?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a rut, like I don't know what to do. I discovered the portal to Keane/Degasi island, and actually found the ruins there. I don't know how I missed them the first time, but that just pointed me to the first habitat, I still have no idea how to get to the second. Incidentally, I somehow managed to get lost on that very small island and it took ages to find the portal back to Sunbeam island. But my alternative was to swim about a kilometer, without a Seaglide.

I've been searching for any wrecks I missed. I still don't have the Prawn suit, I'm missing several pieces for it, I don't have the blueprint for the Decoy torpedoes, or many other Cyclops upgrades. I found 2/3 of the Nuclear Reactor blueprint, and the nuclear waste disposal bin.

I guess I need to explore deeper, but that hasn't always gone well. I once encountered some huge white thing with tentacles and it was angry. I only survived because I was near a Tree Coral forest and I used the nimbleness of the Seamoth to dart where it was too big to go until it eventually gave up. Another time I tried going around the nose of the Aurora, but there was another one there so I didn't try to go that direction. So I'm feeling discouraged about exploring deeper.

Q: Does the AI message "There are multiple leviathan-class lifeforms detected. Are you certain that whatever you're trying to do is worth it?" really mean "this is the edge of the map, there's nothing good this way?"

Q: I did get the indoor garden blueprint. (Are finding the Degasi ruins really the only way to get half the modules?) Do the land plants require sunlight, or will the garden work even in an enclosed area. If it does work, that'll nicely solve issues with fuelling the bioreactor.

Q: Some early posts in the thread talked about using an Aquarium to farm fish. I stuck 4 Reginalds in a small Aquarium and they aren't breeding. They said something about making a double-high multi-purpose chamber and a double-high aquarium, but I tried stacking a multi-purpose chamber and it didn't work. Does that trick work and I'm just doing it wrong?

It’s time to explore the inside of the Aurora. You’ll need just about every tool to get through there. Here’s some spoilers if you really want to know:

Bring a repair tool, laser cutter, two or three fire extinguishers, and a propulsion gun. Bring some food and water but you’ll find extras inside lockers when you go in. Head to the front of the crashed Aurora in your sea moth but watch out for a Reaper. Look for a door blocked by boxes, use the propulsion gun to move them. Inside your looking for the prawn suit bay, scan them all and you’ll unlock it. You also want to look for the reactor core room. Repair all the breaches in there and the radiation in the water goes away.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t be afraid to revisit some of the larger wrecks. You may not have had the laser cutter on your first visit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Could be a time capsule role play.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I trampled the Prawn Suit through the Lost River and found the Disease Research Facility. Or rather, I left a Beacon, then turned around and left since I was full up on stuff and I wanted more maneuverability. I'm still exploring it. I have learned that the next breadcrumb leads beyond the limit my faithful "Mothy" can go.

Pretty funny that it's brighter down there than it is at the 150 feet mark in the Barrens.

Yeah, without mods, that’s it for your moth. There’s a good area for a base with thermal vents down there. A nice calm peaceful area, you’ll know it when you see it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Warning: :words: ahead.

My plan to take a 40-foot sub into a cave worked out pretty well. I packed it full of supplies, everything I thought I'd need to set up a base. The sonar worked really well at letting me cruise safely through the tunnel... but it drained the hell out of my Power Cells. (I learned that you hear a tone when a power cell depletes.)

I don't know where the spot "everyone" builds a base is at, but I chose a pretty quiet spot at about 680-ish meters down - pretty deep, but not within eyeshot of the Juvenile Ghost Thingee Leviathan. I put down some foundations over a vent and put up a multi-purpose chamber, two Thermal power plants, and some connectors to link on a scanner room and Moonpool.

I did not pack enough copper, which was a problem when it came to building advanced equipment, and I suddenly needed to build a Power Cell Recharger, and there was no copper in sight. After the base was set up, I poked ahead with the Prawn Suit, and made my way down into the lava depths. ...but only far enough to get some Kyranite, because I was approaching crush depth - again. I harvested about 13 units... then realized I needed to build a Modification Station, because the fabricators only created the base item.

I also had several heart-stopping moments, venturing out without my suit to gather limestone chunks from the area right near the Leviathan, desperately hoping to get enough copper without needing to walk all the way out. I discovered that it seems to hunt on sight, and if you hide right behind an object, it doesn't see you and gives up. I also almost drowned because it was a LONG way back to the moonpool from where the chunks were, barely getting in with 6 units of O2 left.

Once I had my equipment, there was yet another setback: You need to have a "Crush Depth Increase" component in order to craft the higher level of it, but my Cyclops "Mammoth" was already sitting UNDER the default crush depth of 500m, which meant I needed to go scavenge up components to make a MK 1 Crush Depth Increase, so I could take out the MK 2 one so I could upgrade it.

On the Cyclops' radar, Yellow triangles are moderate-sized predators, and Red are BIG predators, right?

I'm honestly not really sure what everyone is doing that they need nuclear reactors to keep the lights on. A couple indoor gardens and a Bioreactor does a lot for my needs. Not that I could make one anyway, I'm short one piece of a blueprint.

You can pop out the Cyclops depth module, upgrade it, and pop it back in before anything catastrophic happens. Just make sure you deconstruct and rebuild the mod station on the Cyclops.

And yeah, you haven’t found the cool base area, keep exploring the lost river. Look for a blue area.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Those jerks at Alterra don’t want you to know that you can throw your spent nuclear rods right on the ocean floor and it’s a perfectly legal thrill.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The worst is getting all the way to your tree base deep in the lost river and you forgot to bring lubricant, mesh, silicone rubber, or battery mushrooms that are only available topside.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

In BZ I'm just starting to explore the Big red crystal area and the two big critters are attacking me pretty relentlessly. Should I use the seattruck perimeter defense or prawn cannon or torpedoes ? I've read that the latter are pretty much useless. Or just rush the zone and repair often...

Yeah, definitely use perimeter defense when it grabs you. You can zap the leviathans right off before they do much damage and carry on.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like how if you pick up a baby pengwing the adults will come over and murder you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

snoremac posted:

Spoke too soon. Snowfoxing through worm land was my least favourite part so far.

Take the prawn and cheese that area.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

snoremac posted:

lol I'm just under 30 hours and literally just unlocked the prawn.

I might call it here. I had a great time but the exciting sense of progression and exploration has waned and I don't care to see the story out. Same happened with the first game. I liked both up to a point.

edit: I was closer to the end than I thought. I just needed to get the last architect component and the special fabricator.

The ending sequence is kinda cool and I enjoyed it. It’s worth a look and not too hard to do.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Subnautica 3 with online or local co-op.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Valid criticisms of Below Zero aside…I would absolutely want a Subnautica 3 that is mostly just more of the same and I’d be extremely happy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I killed my first Reaper Leviathan!
:black101:

It chased my seamoth into a cave and got stuck, lol. I hacked it to death with my vibroblade while it couldn’t move…

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wish it shot out faster and longer. Anybody modded that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’d recommend a Subnautica MMO but creating a game engine that could handle that and all the base building, construction, and vehicles would be way too hard to do without it crashing the whole time.