Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OgNar posted:

My problem the last few plays have been that Stalkers have been stealing my drones from my scanner room.
I didn't think I was even that close for them to be finding it.
While my scanner picks up teeth I am still pretty far from the creepvine area.
Last time I just pocketed one and put the other a little bit in front of my base.
I really only use them as free base markers.

When I build a scanner room I just take the drones and throw then in the trash. They clutter my HUD and get stolen by stalkers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Cartoon Man posted:

Gonna require a full restart. Give the full survival mechanics a try, they’re not that obnoxious. You’ll feel more proud of yourself when you beat the game. Then don’t be afraid to turn them off for secondary play through.

I did play it through about 5 times, every time on survival.

The amount of water you need to drink was still obnoxious every single time. If you know you're not a big fan of those mechanics anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to start with them turned off.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Below Zero definitely has some much better options for food.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GD_American posted:

Slight correction- if you go inside of the big hole in the hull on the lifepod side of the Aurora, you don't have to go past anything scary.

Floating right in front of the nose in murky water, is something pretty scary.

Go on the surface and during the day, chances the big bad will bother you in any way will be very, very low. (Obviously if you loiter, those chances will increase.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It does suffer immensely from a lack of cohesion. Original game had 1 main goal: get off the planet, and 1 main way to do it: go deeper. Obviously it had sub-goals and different obstacles to overcome, but that ultimate goal and main mechanic of getting deeper didn't change.

The DLC starts with finding your sister or at least what happened to her, but changes completely to getting Alan together and off the planet. Which could work, if it was handled correctly, but it's not. On the contrary, the goal of finding out about your sister is just dumped at the side and it's easily possible to finish the game without ever even finding the big thing in the ice that cost your sister her life. Sorry sis, guess you weren't that important after all!

And there's the same lack of cohesion in mechanics. There's the penguins that ultimately don't matter, the Marguerite storyline that goes nowhere, the fairly pointless excursions on the ice, and the biggest mistake of all in my book: not going deep enough. Subnautica original was about getting much deeper (1500m) than you can even imagine at the start of the game, while Below Zero doesn't even reach 1000m.

I guess that could maybe work if your vehicles could only reach that depth, but you get the Prawn, so there's really no excuse.

Anyway, they did change writers fairly late in development, and it really, really shows.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Question about The Alien Containment Module; I found and hatched a Crabsquid egg, how big is my four-eyed octopus going to get inside a three-story aquarium? Anywhere close to full-grown size, or will they just stay a mini-size pet?

You should become a fisherman like I have, and hunt them for sport when they cross your path! :black101:.

Prawnsuit, grapple arm to latch onto them, Drill arm to shove into them while they flail about in panic as you turn them into sushi.

You can also use the stasis rifle. Just keep refreshing the stasis bubble and keep stabbing it until it's dead. It does take a while.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Especially in the original, a grappling arm is basically a requirement to get unstuck in certain areas where you get stuck in the floor all the time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah the answer is "subnautica 2, with both a dorsal seamoth bay on the Cyclops and the sea truck. Take away the cargo compartments for the moth, or allow it to only equip one, and add some scouting poo poo to it. A better version of the SeaGlide's terrain sonar, kinds of torpedoes which are interesting or cool or worth building ever, an auto-mapping module? something which creates, like, a 30-second version of the gravity trap, so you can stick 2-3 of them to cave ceilings and swim out to gather all the poo poo up

Also the map is a 20-30% greater 2d cross-section, and 50% deeper as well.

Yes I also want all the things.

I've also always wanted a surface ship. (With a camera underneath obviously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah Outer Wilds is great

It is. Don't read anything about it, just buy it and play.