Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread! So, got the game finally and am on my first playthrough, moooostly spoiler-free. Kinda hard to not see things when you've been following the game for years etc.

The progression has been... odd.

I got the Seamoth up and running before the Seaglider thingie, even a rudimentary base. The glider seems like it would have been *really* useful early game, but basically I've spent the entire game in the Seamoth and a lot of things like 'oxygen' and 'don't go out too far' became irrelevant faster than I feel they should have been. Same goddamn thing happened with the cyclops/prawn (I think?) - the schematics came I feel too late. My Seamoth has been lapping the green brine river for aaages now as its the only thing I could build (prawn was like at 2/20 parts), and on a lark I decided to check out the Aurora and suddenly prawn is now 3/3 parts (instantly built, but never used - cuz gently caress walking across the map to the green river and back) and on the next green river lap i stumble across my last cylops part on the way back. So I'm excited to use this prawn thingie, finally assemble the cyclops (why does it keep asking for deeper water?!), and loving laugh my head off at how huge it is. I... always thought it would fit in the moonpool.

So that's where I am after binging it for 20+ hours of playtime. The leviathans have always been scary, but I feel like I got too empowered too fast if that makes sense? I would have liked to have been stuck using the seaglide for the first dozen hours or so to keep me more vunerable. I'll check when I log back in, but iirc both depth upgrades for the prawn and cyclops need an advanced resource I've not seen yet, and I'm not sure where else there is to go while capped at 900meters? I've seen the JellyCaves, BloodVines + and Green River, but feel like I'm missing some cave somewhere before I'm supposed to commit to that stupid whale of a ship and its clunking walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, at first I thought it was going to be a stand-alone expansion, but it's not even that, it's like they just want to be able to have a do-over?

Also I'm getting a certain bug in Subnautica that I've only ever had on once before and it's really aggravating. For some reason, sometimes the game will just operate at precisely half FPS, almost like some sort of double buffering logic error or whatnot. Can be fixed by repeated restarts of the app. Anways, the only other game I've ever had this bug pop up on? Natural Selection 2 *cough*

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

What makes you think it’s not a stand-alone expansion?

I dno, do you still have the Seamoth and Cyclops and crap in addition to all the new content? Or is it the same game, but with differences?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was honestly surprised when I first saw my shadow in Subnautica, the player character had a huge cowlick of hair, which implied more distinct characterization than I had assumed. If your PC starts talking, you have to give them a name and personality - which is fine, Deus Ex et al does it well. But it's also unnecessary complications, the silent faceless protag is *fine*.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've yet to have any comical physics bugs, other than the water level being visible indoors alongside the occasional flying indoor fish. My cyclops is a bit of a FPS hog due to the five hundred lockers, but uh...

Salt Fish posted:

Do you have any duffle bags in your sub?

Should I be worried?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's one thing that I felt Subnautica could have improved upon; the feeling of environmental danger could have been expanded upon greatly. Once you get the seamoth, the oxy meter is totally irrelevant, and there's not enough play on depth pressure as a danger. 100 meters is pretty drat deep, nevermind 1km. Could you imagine having to deal with pressure zones and the like? Like, the lava caves aren't deep nor hot, but rather only far away, if that makes sense.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Comrade Koba posted:

Have a craftable sonar imaging module that you can slot into your vehicles that gives you an interactive map of the area you’re currently in.

Also, it uses a special frequency that attracts all leviathans within a 500m radius to your location. :getin:

You jest, but basically yea. The Seaglide's sonar is too small and chaotic to make good use of, but when in the first lava zone I tore open my "scanner room in a locker" package to see where else I could mine that wasn't patrolled by the seadragon, and it cheerfully showed me a 3d passage downward that I'd missed. The in-ship sonar upgrades are such big game-changers that I'd automatically assumed they aggro'd any leviathans they pinged, was surprised that's not the case (also surprised that nobody gives a poo poo about the cyclops when unpowered, come on).

It didn't bother me not having a map, and I totally agree it was a needed sacrifice of realism in the name of fun. The x-y ranges are tiny, as highlighted by how fast you can swim from the edge of the map back to the liferaft, and a map would only show the top layer anyways, missing all the good stuff. I also somehow managed to miss *so much* stuff on my playthrough, since the world is amazingly dense and if you're not swimming past it regularly like the safe shallows its very easy to miss stuff. That might sound like an argument in favor of maps, but I say it isn't; the fun is trawling over ares and discovering new stuff in nooks and crannies.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm fully 100% guilty of being blind as a bat. I found the lava castle just fine as I had gone down there unspoilered without sonar and was terrified not finding my way back, so I was being very catious. But before going further I read the wiki to find the goddamn sonar location (it was greyed out in my cyclops fab and was tilting me), and it turns out I had missed.. soooooo much stuff. Like the first and third degausi bases, and the 3 shallow alien caches. How the gently caress did I miss this giant loving meteor crater? I'd apparently done laps around it as my tour of the edges must have been too far out.

I can see both sides of the argument, as finding familiarity with an area is super fun, but after a while you just want to get on with things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

uPen posted:

Outer Wilds

"This game is not yet available on Steam
Planned Release Date: TBD"

Shrug.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

It's on the Epic games store in case you are serious.

I am. I have 4 storefront accounts, 3 of which have solid linux support. I'm not going to install another one with zero platform support whose defining trait is 'paying people to not release elsewhere'.

I'll probably catch it when it comes to Steam, in a few years, after everyone's forgotten about it and it's heavily discounted. Not my drat loving problem people are politics with their business.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's gotta leave a ding on your frame rate

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ambaire posted:

Welp. Got further than any save before and got to the sea emperor pool area past the second white tablet, only to have the terrain bug out and get caught in geometry. Last save.. 2 hours before. What a loving stupid game.

The game saves every time you enter a habitat or cyclops. Make a habit of "refreshing" things every now and then.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair, many great games are happy accidents. It's widely agreed upon that Blizzard's masterpiece RTS, Starcraft, is mostly a happy accident for most of its subtleties, especially balance. Didn't stop Blizzard from making fuckin' bank from it, and now I get to stream live games of it twenty years later. If it's lacking a bit of that experimental "I'm not sure if this really works!?", then it's probably derivative stuff.

We have subnautica, be happy!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Or you're going to end up with Duke Nukem Forever!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, don't get me started on NS2. Apparently it's so trivial to write hacks that bypass whatever VAC does, that on public hack forums the comment is "the game uses the same code for Parasite1 as it does for observing, and you can just check the box to give it to players ingame". Boom instant wallhacks.
And then they also dropped an entire OS support quoting lack of dev resources, I'm still salty I can't play a currently maintained game I paid money for.

1Ingame ability that tags an opponent to be visible through walls and map to entire team.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity, how on earth would you get so deep so fast? It's like 2 hours in isn't it? I'm sure it's just some optimal speedrunning stuff, but I'd like to imagine that some crazy bastard did it by attaching tubes from a surface pump and swimming down.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vil posted:

Easiest way to do it - more realistic for a replay than a first playthrough - is to just not repair the radio.

Got a good laugh from that thanks. Oh well, there goes that idea

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's plenty of games, but not necessarily big-name big-budget ones.

Aquaria was fun when it came out, AquaNox is still in development, and I've seen several chill/ambient indie diving games whose names escape me in the past.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just noticed the perrrfect spot for baby's first base when I was just wrapping up my game. It's at the edge of the Safe shallows, over a geothermal spot (!!), bordering two biomes (red grass and something else). Was ticked at how perfect it was and totally useless to me then. Anyone else know the spot? I think it was north-ish of the lifepod.

Generally there's no *wrong* spot for a base, I think most people including myself just shoved it right next to the lifepod because why not. Made things a bit awkward later because of how shallow it was, so maybe pick a spot ~50m deep or so?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ohhhh, gently caress those lunchboxes. The really great news? You can't recycle the fuckers. Once your base is up just throw them in the trash. Where they belong.

Man, doing a no-base no-vehicle run of Subnautica sounds like it'd be a rad as hell challenge. The first few moments of the game where the best (aside from thirst and storage), maintaining that level of vulnerability would be cool and help keep the tension up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know there's a mod that lets the fabricator suck any resources out of storage containers nearby, which sounds like it'd take a lot of the tedium out of crafting.

Not sure about infinite stacks though, sounds like it'd totally break the scavenging aspect of the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Problem with that plan: If you built the base there using the cyclops, the seamoth is still on the surface. And visa-versa. Only way to fix that is to make a run or two with the seamoth IN the cylcops, and possibly have more than one seamoth if you plan on using them to shuttle to the surface.

After a while I just admitted that I just live in the Cyclops now, and the fun seamoth days where behind me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They shouldn't be respawning under normal circumstances. There is more than enough for your needs, just not in the Safe Shallows.

Fauna of shark-size and larger won't respawn either, just in case you feel like gutting those loving manatees near the lifepod. Just sayin'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nope! If you kill a leviathan, it stays dead. Not the 3 Ghost ones that keep you from walking off the map tho.

I think there's 8 reapers? One ghost juvenile, one normal ghost? It's possible to depopulate them all. I know I did to the juvenile in the dead river, cuz he was being a huge dick constantly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tagichatn posted:

So I need the prawn to mine kyanite but I need kyanite to make the depth module to get there :smithicide:

No, that's incorrect. I mean... obviously? Stop reading spoilers and just keep playing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Someone somewhere recommended using the cyclops as a base, and he's not wrong. It easily has enough storage space for everything on earth, and once you get properly set up its actually possible to become self-sustaining. Practically, I had a charging/water filt station at the Tree, but honestly it was only used a few times before I found the needed modules&plants.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the seamoth juts sparks and takes damage, but the cyclops has a lot more work put into it, it groans and moans as it slowly takes damage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I feel that was a missed opportunity to have depth itself be a threat to the diver. The reduced oxygen thing woulda been great, if it wasn't disabled instantly by a single item. Same with lava and water temperature, etc.

edit: vvv It's a video game man, of course they're not going to do stuff like a 14 hour decompression for a 15 minute dive. But, imagine if there was no rebreather mask, and going deeper meant having to be faster and faster for mandatory diving sequences. Or having suits that matter. It's real easy to mix it in with a fun game mechanic, and UW just... decided not to. Didn't someone say that the O2 meter was not in the first iterations of the game, like how off the mark could you be?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it always amuses me when you get a dozen softballs' worth of titanium, rub them together real quick, and end up with a pure-metal structure the size of an apartment building. The launch pad never ceases to amuse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the nickel thing is just you, the ebb and flow of what's in shortage is really variable on playthroughs. I had an awkward moment when goofing around in lategame that I realized I had run out of copper of all things and had basically stripped the safe shallows of the stuff, took a bit of embarrassed scrounging to get back on track.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, unless you purchased NS2 on linux, in which case gently caress you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
4 bases, all at seeming random useless spots on the map, but are ontop of the endgame portals used when making the cure. Faster map traversal!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God what PSTD flashbacks, gently caress those sea lockers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Talking about the above-water one? I didn't even realize it floated. I just kinda saw the beacon at surface (cuz of plot reasons) and swam there at like 5m deep. Saw the big jellies, thought "cool", didn't even think to look down until I was on the return trip and crapped my pants and swam at the surface as fast as I could.

I'm also like the most unobservant fucker ever, as I didn't see/notice the goddamn above ground Degausi bases despite combing the above ground (or as I thought). I actually first found them in the Jellyshroom caves, and needed the wiki to find the one in the grand reef after I had the cyclops. The wiki also told me about the giant crater, and when I got there was was like "How the gently caress did I miss this?!". I have no clue.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's the floating island on top of? It's been a while and my memory of the game is mostly landmarks and paths instead of N/E/S/W. I do remember that audio log warning early on, and turning right the gently caress about, but I don't have it associated with any lategame area that I recall.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah yea of course. I never really did much in that area as again I'm blind as a bat and didn't find the Degausi logs anywhere but the jellyshroom caves.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, UWE as a developer has a very poor reputation in terms of engine quality, polish of product, post-release support, etc. Great games, but the company started out as a bunch of modders and it still shows a decade later. You can fully expect them to hit 1.0, ship a few bugfix patches, then walk away from it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They dropped support for an entire OS in a multiplayer-only game.

That's not a very dramatic sentence and I don't know how to flash it up, but trust me when you go from playing a game daily and supporting the community to being told "Meh? Go bother someone else, and no, no refunds" it kinda sticks with you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Khanstant posted:

Same here but like, you still hear people fussing about how buggy New Vegas was because it launched buggy, despite being fixed in short order, [...]

My FNV experience was trying the game out last year, and quitting about 20 minutes in after everyone had no hair and a blue box was popping up whenever I aimed. Some reputations are earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd agree with that! Subnautica's a great game, even if not a fabulous software product. Other games which are more borderline in their fun have much lower tolerance levels for jank, if that makes sense?