Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The recommended settings option apparently has really bad pop in, experimental is a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do you mean crashing? it often seems like the game is crashing but you just have to keep waiting for it to load.

The game is really fun and once you feel like you don't know what to do, go onto the wiki, specifically look up the biomes. Look for new things to explore. I'm currently trying to get into the lava caves. I found the entrance to the really extensive one and immediately got lost and had to load a save.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Once you get the basics of the stable version down, I highly suggest moving to experimental beta version. The experimental builds have all the newest content. The game is updated several times per day. it's not always content, it's usually just tweaks and fixes, every once in a while something new is added. It currently has large aquariums and farming. Farming means you can plant kelp and mushrooms outside your base. This means endless amounts of kelp and kelp seeds which means endless amounts of fibers, lubricant, and silicone rubber. You can also plant acid mushrooms which means lots of batteries if you can get enough copper. There are other plants that are scattered throughout the game that you can plant but don't really have much use as of yet. There are water plants as well as land plants. You plant the former outside, and the latter in your base.

Large aquariums are build inside a multipurpose room. These allow fish to reproduce. Fish will reproduce until there are 10 fish in the tank. 10 is not the overall limit, it's just the limit for reproducing. Large aquariums can be stacked. So if you build several multipurpose rooms on top of each other, you can build large aquariums in each one. The aquariums span the entire height of your stack of rooms. Each aquarium adds to the reproductive limit. A double height aquarium with Reginalds inside will spawn enough fish to keep you constantly fed.

There are also eggs. Eggs allow you to get larger creatures into your aquarium. Things like stalkers.

Those farming update is supposed to release to stable sometime this month. that solves the food problem. Water is solved by crafting a stillsuit and having a water filtration device.

The main things you need in this game are titanium, quartz and copper. Titanium is easy to get, it's literally everywhere. Pick up scraps of ship and turn it into titanium. The easiest place is near wrecks. Quartz is kind of rare at the beginning of the game but you eventually will find areas that provide nearly endless amounts of it. You just have to find them. Copper is harder because you can only get it from busting up rocks, mostly in the kelp biomes.

Once you get the hang of the game, it's really easy to quickly get set up and scan all the fragments you need for blueprints. Then you just have to explore the world. There are plenty of things to explore and they are always adding more stuff.

I should note, there's two things called experimental in this game. One is the experimental graphics setting, that's not what I'm talking about. The experimental builds are gotten by choosing the experimental beta through steam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A way to recharge power cells is being worked on. Used to be you could put solar panels on the cyclops. They removed that without adding another way to charge the cyclops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Swim to the north east. You probably don't have a compass so from the safe shallows, surface and look to the Aurora. Turn to the left a bit and start swimming that way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a small aquarium you can use to store a few fish. There's also the large aquarium that can store a large amount of fish. The large aquarium breeds fish if there are two or more of the same type. You can only breed up to 10 fish in each tank. This stacks with the aquarium so each aquarium you stack adds another 10 fish that can be bred. You can have way more than 10 fish in a tank, but fish will not breed if there are more than 10. You can also grow plants in the large aquarium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What video card do you have? The VR implementation is very beta in addition to the game being very beta. Performance is not optimized and it runs like garbage sometimes, this is not conducive to good VR. The Cyclops and Seamoth are pretty good in VR. Swimming around isn't so great. WIthout VR, you just point your mouse where you want to swim. With VR, you can't swim up or down, you have to hit space or control. The last time I tested it was a few weeks ago, so it might have changed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hover over items in the PDA and it will tell you if it lowers or raises hull integrity. You need to add hull reinforcement or platforms to raise the integrity when you add to your base. You can deconstruct things by holding E or whatever buttons comes up when you point your constructor tool at things you've built.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not all of them seem to break. i usually smash into them with the seamoth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're just going exploring, take the seamoth. If you're going on an expedition to grab a lot of materials, take the cyclops. I usually take the cyclops out to just above the blood kelp. I park it at the top of the crevasse. Then I take the seamoth down into the blood kelp to collect lots of quartz. Take it all back up to the cyclops and repeat. Then I bring all that back to wherever my base is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just don't get too attached as every major update requires you to restart the game if you want all the new terrain added. The game does its best to update your save but apparently not everything gets added in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure silver can easily be found in the grassy plateaus. Look for the rocks at the edge of and in the middle of the red grass. The problem is the rocks are the same color as the sand so you think you've found one and jump out of the seamoth and it turns out it was just a gap in the grass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

I too look forward to becoming Howlin' Mad Murphy in this game.

Shut up, mailbox head.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can anything kill a reefback?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The moonpool fragments being in one of the many places the seamoth can't go is really dumb. You have to stock up on as many large tanks as you think you'll need, maybe get the rebreather too. Head to the grand reef, park the seamoth at 224 meters and then search for moonpool fragments. It is important to look at your oxygen. If you see it is at halfway, head back to the seamoth no matter what. You can stop scanning a fragment and start where you left off after getting air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I started up a new save with the farming update. The fun is gone. I can't for the life of me find any solar panel fragments. Now I've got four or five air tanks and I've been diving to the wreck in the grassy plateau and scan things until I die. I can't find any fragments that would let me add power to my base. All the wrecks besides the one in the grassy plateau just have chairs and desks. The game is way too tedious for me now. They need to move around fragments so you can at least get a base going without having to cheat with respawns or having to run down to a fragment, scan a bit and then scramble back for air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just enable the console. Press F3 and unchecked disable console. Press F8 to get a mouse cursor so you can do the previous step. Close all the windows and press ~ or ` to get the console. You can then use various warp commands. You can also use "spawn titanium #" and the same for glass to get materials to make a hatch or whatever.

If it looks like you're not typing anything, don't worry, you are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I tried out a few minutes of the new build in VR. Was pretty good. Asynchronous time warp really saves the day. Looking around was smooth, using the joystick to rotate reminded me that it was really running at a terrible frame rate. The optimization pass can't come soon enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's using a beta VR implementation with an unsupported headset, so performance is probably going to be lacking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's been eclipsing for as long as I've been playing it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Cyclops used power cells one at a time the last time I played. It also would run through all the power cells before drawing from solar which was annoying. Does anyone know if they are done with updates where you have to completely start over when a new one comes out? I'd like to play again and try new stuff but I got tired of having to create a new save after every update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I had started bringing the retractable line with me into caves. The problem was when it would fall through the map and I'd end up with a line to nowhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

I always wondered about that tool but never got around to testing it. Does it help pull you out or is it just the proverbial bread crumb trail?

It doesn't pull you out as far as I remember, you can just follow it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently bodies turn into soap when they are super deep and there's nothing to eat them. There was a kid who died in a super deep cave in South Africa. A guy went down to get his body (and died in the process) but they both eventually floated back up. The kid's body had turned into soap.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently those sea strider things also poop out ore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fish can reproduce up until there are 10 in the tank. You can have a lot more but they stop breeding when there are ten. Each stacked aquarium adds another 10 that can be bred. I don't know about the bioreactor thing.

For my own question, did the sharks and stalkers become more aggressive at some point? I started playing again the other day and they won't leave me alone. The stalkers actively chase me out of the kelp and back to my base. The sharks will just keep bumping into my sub until I leave the area and come back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't mind the stalkers so much because I can get down to the rocks and things I want and they swim around up in the kelp. In the grassy plateau on the other hand, the sharks stay down on the ground and won't leave me alone. It's quite annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Section Z posted:

I've seen it mentioned in passing during some google searches, though with silence following any "Wait, really?" questions. Bio Reactor also seems to require being set up in the middle of the room despite their size, so I was wondering if there was any practical reason for that outside of "We want to screw you out of a ladder". Finally, "Self sustaining base" can give the impression of something running itself, as much as just merely the option to run back and forth but still not needing to leave your base for ingredients.

Alas, It sounded too convenient to be true :v:

You can place ladders on the sides.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do they even breed if the first predator they see causes them to explode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is your escape pod still near the aurora? Some people have had issues where the escape pod drifts off the map. If you weld the sparking box, it gets fixed and has a gravity anchor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just go around and find things like new materials and fragments. Your main tools should be your knife, habitat tool, welder and a scanner. You can make a flashlight but I typically just use the seamoth or the glider as a flash light instead. When you pick up a new material, it will usually tell you what new things in the fabricator just unlocked. Make sure to look through everything in the fabricator. I always forget that you have to make magnesium, not find it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that Subnautica is one of the few games in the survival genre that really resonates with me. Are there any decent LP's on Youtube where the player isn't an insufferable rear end that covers a fourth of the screen with his ugly mug?

I liked the various times Sips played it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Used to be you can just hold scrap metal near a stalker and they'd go for it and drop a tooth. That's how I always got enough teeth for whatever I did. Now they are really picky about grabbing metal and even then they rarely drop a tooth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Have they changed it so you can see the text you're typing? If not, don't worry if the text doesn't show up in that box. Just type the command and press enter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only thing that gets annoying about starting a new game is finding certain resources. Stalker teeth are terrible, finding silver is annoying. It used to be the worst trying to find copper but they made it more plentiful and now you can recharge batteries. Silver is annoying because you have to find rocks in the grassy plains that look exactly the same as the patches of sand in the grass all the while sharks and biters are constantly bumping into your seamoth.

Digirat posted:

I'm about to start playing this, is there anything outside the game you need to read to be up to date on how it works or does the game give you everything you need to know?

If you can figure out context clues, you can figure the game out. When you load it up, it will tell you to smash up rocks and cut kelp and things like that. Anything else you can figure out from looking at the the fabricator and checking your blueprints which has all your recipes. Unlike some games where you have to randomly guess a recipe, Subnautica will tell you how to make everything as soon as you discover its main ingredient. Hover over something you want and it says what you need, if those things have to be crafted you can find those things and it also tells you what you need. When you pick up a new material, it will say a bunch of new blueprints are unlocked in the top left.

Though I will say that when you start out, get a knife, a habitat builder and a scanner as quickly as you can so you can start getting into the game proper.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Silver is most easily found in the grassy plateau. Look around in the red grass for rocks to break. About half the time they contain silver. The only problem is finding them in the first place. You can sometimes find silver in rocks at the edge of kelp forests and grassy plateaus but you're guaranteed a chance to get it in the grassy plateau. Once you've got the habitat builder, you can really get into the game because most modules just need titanium and/or glass which is plentiful. Make sure you've also found a power source as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

One of the cards there says "Remove terraforming". Are they going to remove our ability to build tunnels in sand?

Yes. Doing that causes the save files to balloon up and also causes performance issues. It sucks that you can't build bases into rock faces but it will hopefully make the game run better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

At the moment you can put a growbed and battery/power cell chargers on the Cyclops and be completely self-sustaining indefinitely in complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Is the cyclops able to charge power cells with no external power?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They don't need power. It does seem like they start everything up in its default state and then change all the values once it's loaded. it's really annoying to hear all the messages you get when things happen all at once when loading a save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
To be honest I don't really get the fear people have in this game. I've never really been scared to get out of my seamoth and do things. I've only seen one reaper in my current playthrough and the stalkers and sand sharks aren't all that scary. I swim around and then one bites me so I beeline for my seamoth. Then I move away and move back if I still needed something there.