Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not big on the Greek alphabet, but you got Lifeup Gamma, not Psi. It's a full HP restore for one party member, which is perfect for Ness right now, because his HP is getting up there. And once again, you had some bad luck on the Sentry Robots. They usually just fire beams against me, and occasionally call for help or shoot a Bottle Rocket. Their "tick-tock" is just them wasting a turn.

More annoying things about the Clumsy Robot: it comes equipped with a psychic shield to start the battle. But even if you use the Neutralizer or Shield Killer, PSI Smash/Rockin/etc. usually does no damage to it. Bottle Rockets also completely ineffective. Lucky is kind of a dick for saying that it was so easy to stop.

There are a lot of good items in the Dusty Dunes Desert, but the enemies there are brutal. The buffalo are powerful, the Desert Wolves can poison you, and the Smilin' Spheres explode when you kill them and use PSI Fire. The Skelpions have low HP, but they can also poison you and they're fast enough to always get the first attack.

Another parallel between Skull Kid and Pokey: they're also being used by a force that can destroy the world.

Ceraph posted:

On a side note, I unfortunately have to take a bit of a break posting updates. I ran out of footage but I’m getting together with Alden, Alex, and Jackie this weekend to record more so it shouldn’t be long. I expect to be able to post episode 20 by Monday the 21st.
When you get back, read the item description for Beef Jerky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 20 - Fresh Sock Smell

I'm back! It's time to take out the Shrooom! boss and finally pick up a new Sound Stone Memory! The Shrooom isn't too difficult, the most annoying thing about his fight is the fact that he has a tendency to give your party members the mushroom status. Luckily the memory just beyond is a full restore so we don't need to worry about walking around all funky like.

We also manage to hitch a ride to Summers on the Sky Runner for the last time. They did a great job of capturing the vibe of a touristy beach town, even down to the really fancy hotels and restaurants on one side of town and everyone who actually has to live there on the other side.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sudden Guts Pill doubles your Guts for a single battle, but I think they sell for $500, so I just sell them when I get them. There actually is a way to get your in-game stats to wrap around, but we haven't seen the item responsible for it yet. It also gives condiments (specifically, one of the condiments) a use.

You really gotta deal with Shroooom! quickly before it wrecks your party with spores, but if you bring a Big Bottle Rocket or two, that's not hard to do. Ness and Paula should just use Smash! and Fire. I was wondering why you used PSI Shield Sigma to start, and then I remembered that you can wreck yourself with your own PSI if one of your party members gets Mushroomized. Good call. And is Mighty Bear Seven supposed to be a reference to something?

The Sanchez Brothers's friend is named Tomas Jefferson. He tells you that if you talk to him in the desert. Summers has some of the best NPC dialog in the game, but the expensive food items aren't worth it. Lifeup does all of your healing at this point in the game.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I've been waiting on an update so I'm glad to see one.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 21 - Dad Phone Man

It's time to travel to the far away land of Dalaam by eating some Magic Cake baked with lots of LSD love. Club Stoic has some interesting implications on the bigger theme of this game (growing up), but we'll discuss that in more detail a bit later.

In Dalaam we get to control the prince, Poo / Droo. Before he can join the rest of the party he has to rob the palace and his citizens of all their presents complete his training. There is an unexpectedly intense scene where the player allows the spirit of his ancestors to break his legs, tear off his arms, cut off his ears, and remove his eyes. Every step of the way he asks "Do you accept this?". The phrasing on this one is important, he doesn't ask for permission, he tells you what he is going to do and asks you if you accept it. I don't really have much to back this up but I feel like this is analogous of how easy it is to feel like your life is out of your control at this point in your life. Accepting the fact that you can't control everything is a huge part of becoming an adult. There is another huge payoff of this scene later as well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You joked about the Magic Cake lady's husband, but the sailor you didn't talk to is actually her husband. He tells you that she keeps hanging out at the Stoic Club and she doesn't care about her business anymore.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Y-Hat posted:

You joked about the Magic Cake lady's husband, but the sailor you didn't talk to is actually her husband. He tells you that she keeps hanging out at the Stoic Club and she doesn't care about her business anymore.

We had talked to her husband in the lost episode 20 and we must have forgotten to go back and talk to him. That's how we all knew what was going on with him.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 22 - Bumpin Kraken

It's time to see what a full party can do! Poo comes in at a pretty low level but once he catches up he's a pretty competent unit. He's even better if you take the time to pick up the 4 items in the game he can equip (some are more annoying to get than others, but we'll get there). His ability to turn into an enemy is really interesting and it's useful in certain circumstances, but we really won't be using it a whole lot. He does get a PSI power that's pretty awesome later, but it costs a lot to cast.

We also fight the deadly Kraken! The music in this fight is easily my favorite track in the game. The boss himself can be pretty tough, with an attack that hits the entire party for over 150 damage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh, I forgot to mention: the Brain Stone is useless. Only a few enemies can prevent characters from using PSI, and that attack misses a lot. You also can't get rid of it by selling it or throwing it away. It has to be taken by Escargo Express. Lifeup becomes more important than ever with Poo, because most food items cause him to only recover 6 HP. There are exceptions: Bottle of Water causes him to recover 10 PP rather than 1 for Paula and Ness, and there's another item that does this even further. The Brain Food Lunch is also a full HP and PP recovery for Poo.

When Poo is in your party, the woman who says her mind is a blank has different dialog. She says, "Asian kid, you're so cool... don't look at me like that." As you might expect, you can't say "no" to the museum guy you bribed, since he takes the Tiny Ruby anyway and thanks you for the "cookie." I didn't know that you could fight Kraken right after getting Poo (also I've never seen that bit on the boat about being a mama's boy). You need him around in order read the hieroglyphs in the Summers museum, which opens up a different event. "It could only cost you your life, and you got that for free" is probably my favorite bit of text in the game, and the sailing music and Kraken battle theme are excellent tracks. The music for Earthbound is really, really good, but it doesn't show off well in a commentary LP.

You don't want to give the Piggy Nose to Poo. Also stock Jeff with a couple of Big Bottle Rockets.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I love Earthbound. It's my favorite game of all time. It's been super interesting watching someone play through this game fresh. I'm glad its quirk seems to hold up, especially if you've never experienced it before.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vrikkian posted:

I love Earthbound. It's my favorite game of all time. It's been super interesting watching someone play through this game fresh. I'm glad its quirk seems to hold up, especially if you've never experienced it before.

The one flaw I think Earthbound is showing now is that the abilities are half thought out and most of the items are useless. It's amazing the game holds up as much as it does because it's great parts shine away from it's obvious flaws.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

You don't want to give the Piggy Nose to Poo. Also stock Jeff with a couple of Big Bottle Rockets.

This is the thing that's bothering the most. I usually have Jeff's inventory cleared and turn him into a living hwacha.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Vrikkian posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've been having a blast playing through this game, I'm a little sad that I missed out on it for so long but catching up has been a lot of fun.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The one flaw I think Earthbound is showing now is that the abilities are half thought out and most of the items are useless. It's amazing the game holds up as much as it does because it's great parts shine away from it's obvious flaws.

Yeah, you can kinda tell that it had a troubled development. I agree that fact that the end product is so revered in spite of its flaws is testament to just how well they nailed the style on this one. I can forgive a lack of balance when you give me a game where a man who looks like he might be a rabbi falls out of the sky, tells you to say "fuzzy pickles", takes your picture, and then flies back into the sky.

Testikles posted:

This is the thing that's bothering the most. I usually have Jeff's inventory cleared and turn him into a living hwacha.

Sorry! We're going to try to be better about stocking Jeff up with explosives.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ceraph posted:

Yeah, you can kinda tell that it had a troubled development. I agree that fact that the end product is so revered in spite of its flaws is testament to just how well they nailed the style on this one. I can forgive a lack of balance when you give me a game where a man who looks like he might be a rabbi falls out of the sky, tells you to say "fuzzy pickles", takes your picture, and then flies back into the sky.

Poo ends up being the biggest example of this. His abilities are meh, mirror barely works and when it does you don't do anything with it, and he doesn't feel quite as distinct as the first three characters. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they had like a little more development time with the game.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 23 - Sneaky Hieroglyphs

The astute among you may have noticed that a certain scene didn't trigger when we inspected the hieroglyph in Summers. Because Poo was unconscious he couldn't translate the slab, so here we are in Scaraba with no translation... The enemies in Scaraba are good for some serious exp at least.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Mooseontheloose posted:

Poo ends up being the biggest example of this. His abilities are meh, mirror barely works and when it does you don't do anything with it, and he doesn't feel quite as distinct as the first three characters. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they had like a little more development time with the game.

Yeah, Poo doesn't really have a defined role in the party. He's not great at any one thing and just kinda fills in whatever needs doing at the time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Poo is your versatile jack of all trades party member. His attack goes up enough that you don't really need his weapon, but unlike the ultimate weapons for the other party members, I recommend getting it anyway. His defense gets good with his three unique equipment items, two of which are quite easy to get and one of which is a little out of the way. Unfortunately, he never gets full protection from Fire, Flash, and Freeze like the other party members. I'm pretty sure he's also your party's fastest character, especially when he's wearing one of his defensive equipment items. His PSI abilities are mostly worth it, although plain shields aren't much help at this point (but there is an upcoming fight where Shield Sigma could be put to good use). The Bottle of Water and DX Water restore 10 PP and 40 PP, respectively, when he drinks it, while it only restores 1 PP for Ness and Paula. Overall he's a great guy to have around.

While you did beat the Kraken earlier than most players do, leveling up against the desert's enemies is a good decision. The enemies in the next Sanctuary area are all brutal for an underleveled Poo, and he'll need all the experience and stat boosts he can get. I always like trying to fight Tough Guys even though beach enemies are rare (you'll also find the Over Zealous Cop there, which is a Captain Strong palette swap). They have a 1-in-8 chance of dropping a Chick. See what they did there?

Counter PSI-Unit, as you probably gathered from the description, is useless. You had the right idea with that and the Hieroglyph Copy. There really are a lot of unnecessary items in Earthbound, but it's such a charming game that you'll be able to overlook that flaw.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2016

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 24 - HNNNGGGG

While we could go back to Scaraba and enter the pyramid now that we have the hieroglyph, we decide to stick around Fourside and tackle the dungeon here first. Getting the museum worker his signed banana gets us access to the sewers, during which Alex teaches us exactly how not to handle being possessed. Learn from our mistakes, don't just ignore it the entire time because it's a real problem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Those first two minutes really set the tone for the video, didn't it? Forget my qualifying statement about the sewer enemies: they're just tough to deal with in general. It really helps to know in advance which rooms you should go into and which ones you should skip so that you can fight as few of them as possible. I think the room you ran away from to avoid fighting the second Stinky Ghost is a Magic Butterfly room- you can enter and re-enter to refill your PP as needed. Another room has a broken item that becomes an infinite supply of Super Bombs for Jeff, AKA his best weapon.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 25 - Vindication

Alright, guys, we're gonna head back topside for a minute and regroup. We're coming back to the sewers with no ghosts flying around us and a couple more levels under our belt. We do pick up the broken bazooka, which as Y-Hat was saying is the best item you can duct tape to Jeff's hands. It's time to take on the plague rat, which when you're not homesick and/or possessed is actually really easy. After the fight we get our fifth sound stone memory, Magnet Hill! Also a carrot key, which we have actually seen where it goes already.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When you talk to your mom with a full party after you rest at home, she has different dialog where she uses outdated slang. Also, you could have bought the $7500 house while you were back in Onett. You'll have another opportunity to do both of these things, though.

The Rapey Rat Plague Rat of Doom has a low offense but usually hits with SMAAAAAAASH attacks. You got lucky. I think that's mold on its back.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 26 - Lethal-Asp Hieroglyphs

With Magnet Hill added to our sound stone memories we decide to head back to Scaraba and actually take care of the pyramid we tried to tackle ever so long ago. Several of the enemies in the pyramid are disguised as hieroglyphs, which can catch you off guard if you're not expecting it, but they're not too tough. At this point in the game you should have plenty of money to stock people up with horns of life, which is a pretty good idea from here on out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSI Thunder has a better chance of hitting if there are more enemies to target, and it goes after them randomly. You're better off using any other PSI attack. This applies to enemies too, so if you have a full party, enemy Thunder will almost always hit. The hieroglyph enemies that move from the wall will always be there until you kill them, after which they won't reappear at that spot ever again. Some do spawn randomly, though. Mirror only works on certain enemies- if Poo fails to turn into an enemy, it will never work on them. In spite of its name, the Fierce Shattered Man is weaker than the regular Shattered Man in all aspects. The Guardian General isn't that tough- you were better off using a Big Bottle Rocket instead of the Bag of Dragonite.

The Beatles naming scheme is a Japan exclusive, I believe. Also that was some really nerdy commentary.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Y-Hat posted:

The Beatles naming scheme is a Japan exclusive, I believe. Also that was some really nerdy commentary.

Only the finest. :v:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 27 - Come Play With Us

It's time to pick up the Hawk Eye and finish up the pyramid! We also pick up the key to the next dungeon, which is just... amazing, but I'll get into that later. Also don't make the same mistakes we did! Take all the important items off Poo (like the piggy nose...) before he leaves the party!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That item you missed was a Diamond Band. Jeff could have used that since he has to settle for Platinum. Switching from the Night Pendant to the Crystal Charm is a good move, but you'll probably want to give it back to Ness/Alden for the next Sanctuary Dungeon, whenever you get to that. You could have done it after Magnet Hill.

You can find $500 and $1000 in a couple of presents in the Dusty Dunes Desert. There are a lot of good items that are hard to get because the enemies are brutal there. The sign prohibiting flash photography is just a way of saying that the photographer won't appear inside Dungeon Man, but there is one you can get immediately after this. If Jeff has the proper IQ level, just spam sleeping on the bench until he fixes the Broken Bazooka. You'll never have to attack normally with him again.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 28 - Yellow Submarine

It's time to finish out Dungeon Man! This is probably the weirdest this game has gotten since Moonside, with a character who is also a dungeon. The concept in and of itself is weird enough, but the music they play inside is another example of how perfectly the music in this game helps set the mood. I have to imagine that all the music we're hearing is just Brick Road singing for us, which makes it even creepier.

Getting Dungeon Man in your party is one of those moments in games where the developers just let you feel super powerful for a short period of time. I always have mixed feelings about those segments because it always sucks when your power gets stripped away, but I feel like Earthbound pulls it off well. Having Dungeon Man in your party is exciting, but he's still just in the extra party slot. When he leaves it's different than if they have temporarily given Ness a super awesome ability that he loses.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aw, you missed the bathroom inside Dungeon Man. Just like the other bathrooms in Earthbound, though, you can't enter it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 29 - Deep Darkness

It's time to tackle the Deep Darkness! This area can be pretty devastating if you're not prepared. Not only are the enemies significantly harder than the Scaraba desert but there's also swamp water that deals damage to your whole party as you move through it (which you have to in order to progress). Not only do we encounter the original Master Belch as normal enemies now, but there is also the boss Puke who is Master Belch reborn and understandably tougher. We lack a jar of fly honey this time around, but we do have a Paula and the godly Multibottle rocket.

Poo also returns! Now with 100% more Starstorm! Starstorm can do hella damage and hits all targets, but it has a pretty steep PP cost so we're going to be using it kind of sparingly.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 14, 2016

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Oh man, the multi bottle rocket totally destroys bosses, even this late into the game. I wish I had known that the first time I played this. Also, when I was a kid, I thought the underwater bank guy was there for no purpose other than to steal your money. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around how his transactions worked.

Also, I like the little jingle at the beginning of your videos. Did one of you guys write that, or is it from something?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Temin_Dump posted:

Also, I like the little jingle at the beginning of your videos. Did one of you guys write that, or is it from something?

Thanks! Alden wrote it, turns out he's actually pretty good at this whole sound design thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's the wrong way to use Rock Candy. You're supposed to stock one party member with condiments (preferably the Packet of Sugar), then put the Rock Candy at the end of that member's inventory, and use it in battle. The condiment will disappear, but the Rock Candy won't, so you get infinite stat boosts as long as you keep buying condiments. The Casey Bat is mostly useless, but the one use it has will be coming up soon.

I think the Deep Darkness has the most enemies of any place in the game. You encountered most of them, but you didn't fight the Zap Eel (even though you avoided it on the overworld) or the Manly Fish and Manly Fish's Brother. Zap Eel just uses electric attacks equivalent to Thunder Beta, and the Manly Fish hits you with its spear. Manly Fish's Brother, however, is stronger and has some nasty PSI abilities. And the Demonic Petunia can induce sleep and numbness, and it also has a spray attack that's equivalent to Fire Gamma. Mostly, though, it edges towards you.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Just found this LP. I used to play Earthbound on an emulator at school all the time. I know this is a bit late but I remember the first time I played this I completely missed lilliput steps and went ahead to the next town. I think I got all the way to fourside before I figured out I had missed something.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Y-Hat posted:

That's the wrong way to use Rock Candy. You're supposed to stock one party member with condiments (preferably the Packet of Sugar), then put the Rock Candy at the end of that member's inventory, and use it in battle. The condiment will disappear, but the Rock Candy won't, so you get infinite stat boosts as long as you keep buying condiments. The Casey Bat is mostly useless, but the one use it has will be coming up soon.

I think the Deep Darkness has the most enemies of any place in the game. You encountered most of them, but you didn't fight the Zap Eel (even though you avoided it on the overworld) or the Manly Fish and Manly Fish's Brother. Zap Eel just uses electric attacks equivalent to Thunder Beta, and the Manly Fish hits you with its spear. Manly Fish's Brother, however, is stronger and has some nasty PSI abilities. And the Demonic Petunia can induce sleep and numbness, and it also has a spray attack that's equivalent to Fire Gamma. Mostly, though, it edges towards you.

Dude you are such a wealth of knowledge, thanks for dropping all this in the thread.

gatesealer posted:

Just found this LP. I used to play Earthbound on an emulator at school all the time. I know this is a bit late but I remember the first time I played this I completely missed lilliput steps and went ahead to the next town. I think I got all the way to fourside before I figured out I had missed something.

Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, it can be pretty hard to know where you're supposed to go in this game, which is one reason I'm very glad I'm playing it with a couple people that know it pretty well. I'm also assuming it's one of the reasons why the SNES cartridge came with a strategy guide.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The Casey Bat is a reference to the poem Casey at the Bat about the Mudville Nine, and their hero the eponymous Casey by Ernest Thayer:

The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the Mudville nine that day:
The score stood four to two, with but one inning more to play,
And then when Cooney died at first, and Barrows did the same,
A pall-like silence fell upon the patrons of the game.

A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
Clung to the hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
They thought, “If only Casey could but get a whack at that—
We’d put up even money now, with Casey at the bat.”

But Flynn preceded Casey, as did also Jimmy Blake,
And the former was a hoodoo, while the latter was a cake;
So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
For there seemed but little chance of Casey getting to the bat.

But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all,
And Blake, the much despisčd, tore the cover off the ball;
And when the dust had lifted, and men saw what had occurred,
There was Jimmy safe at second and Flynn a-hugging third.

Then from five thousand throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
It rumbled through the valley, it rattled in the dell;
It pounded on the mountain and recoiled upon the flat,
For Casey, mighty Casey, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Casey’s manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in Casey’s bearing and a smile lit Casey’s face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt ‘twas Casey at the bat.

Ten thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
Five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt;
Then while the writhing pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
Defiance flashed in Casey’s eye, a sneer curled Casey’s lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
And Casey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the sturdy batsman the ball unheeded sped—
“That ain’t my style," said Casey. “Strike one!” the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled
roar,
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore;
“Kill him! Kill the umpire!” shouted someone on the stand;
And it’s likely they’d have killed him had not Casey raised his
hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Casey’s visage shone;
He stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
He signaled to the pitcher, and once more the dun sphere flew;
But Casey still ignored it and the umpire said, “Strike two!”

“Fraud!” cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered “Fraud!”
But one scornful look from Casey and the audience was awed.
They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
And they knew that Casey wouldn’t let that ball go by again.

The sneer is gone from Casey’s lip, his teeth are clenched in hate,
He pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate;
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
And now the air is shattered by the force of Casey’s blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey has struck out.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Testikles posted:

The Casey Bat is a reference to the poem Casey at the Bat about the Mudville Nine, and their hero the eponymous Casey by Ernest Thayer:

Oh man I totally missed that connection, but the fact that it has awful accuracy makes so much more sense now! My mind immediately jumped to TMNT (though I wouldn't be surprised if Casey Jones was named after Casey at the Bat as well).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wonder what the Casey Bat was called in Japan. I posted an article here about how the translator for Earthbound had nearly unlimited freedom to Americanize the dialog, so it's probably different there.

Edit: This is a good week for undiscovered Easter eggs in old Nintendo games. First the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out Piston Honda trick, now this. I don't have a working second SNES controller, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvC5D9aybOc

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 14, 2016

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 30 - Kidnapping

In a total fakeout we decide to head back to Dalaam and use the Carrot Key rather than continue on our current questline and see what happened to Apple Kid at Dr. Andonuts' Lab. This dungeon is really not very difficult, though I think that is due in part to the fact that we started doing some stuff out of sequence and then came back to it. At the end lies the Thunder and Storm boss, who guards the sixth Sound Stone Memory: Pink Cloud. One detail of some significance is the fact that Storm is holding a palm leaf, which in Japanese mythology is a method creatures used to cause storms. Also the big mechanic of this fight is that they attack twice per turn but then spend the next turn breathing deeply wasting a turn. This gives them potentially high burst damage but if you can survive the onslaught you should be fine. The Crashing Boom Bang Attack also counts as a thunder attack, which the Franklin Badge can reflect. This is such a nice little area, the pink clouds remind me of cotton candy, which always reminds me of my childhood. I don't know why I ever liked cotton candy because I honestly can't stand it anymore, but as a kid I was all about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kiss of Death isn't much to worry about. The "kiss of death" attack it uses just poisons one party member, so it's like a less powerful Tangoo. It's best to deal with Thunder and Storm quickly like you did, because after they use a turn for a deep breath, they use one of two attacks. Either they intertwine with one character and deal a fuckload of physical damage, or they summon a storm that's equivalent to either Flash Beta or Gamma, which is effectively a one-shot KO for everyone not wearing a Night Pendant (edit: it's Flash Beta, but you're still probably gonna lose at least one party member). After that, they go back to the Crashing Boom Bang attack. I think they're on a set attack pattern like the Robo-Pump and another enemy later on in the game.

You only have one more Rock Candy to find in this game. Use it wisely. I believe the Rock Candy trick is a glitch, which makes its inclusion in the Player's Guide weird, because Nintendo Power wasn't big on showing off glitches in its games. And another thing to consider: Jeff's Bottle Rocket damage is tied to his Speed, for whatever reason, and later on you'll find a defensive item that increases Speed by 40. Do what you will with that advice.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 31 - Stonehenge

With our sixth sound stone memory it's time to get back to Winters and see what happened to our friends! Along the way Jeff fixes the broken bazooka into the heavy bazooka, so we now know what he should be doing just about every turn from here on out.

Jackie brings up a really good point, in this stage of the game the enemies are starting to get really strange, but in a less silly way. Certainly a fire hydrant with a face and a retro new age hippie are strange, but they're a fun kind of strange. Now we're getting into some eldritch horror looking things. As we get closer and closer to facing Giygas we see his influence on the world increase as well, which is a really cool touch.

We also run into what I believe is the last pencil shaped statue in the game (which is why we were told to keep the pencil eraser in our inventory) and of course we forgot to pick it up first. Whoops.

• Locked thread