Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
To catch a glimpse of Romero Evil, check out The Crazies/Codename: Trixie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg3RP5omxYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh and to answer OP, no, they're really not.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, Resident Evil by him would have been fine. The problem with the later Dead movies is he ran out of ideas, not that he ran out of talent.

have you read that loving script? it's godawful

I mean, the game's script is even worse but at least it's terrible in an absolutely hilarious way, like the troll 2 of video games

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean... yeah, though, it's Resident Evil, what were you expecting precisely?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I want something just as bad as the games, not just kinda bad, I want hilariously terrible

I really do have a special place in my heart for resident evil, the first game is terrible in a way that makes me piss myself laughing, it's the funniest so bad it's good thing in the world, to me at least

cat doter fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 28, 2016

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I think the direction of the movies is very similar to the production of the games in that they wanted to make a Resident Evil sequel in line with the originals but more action-oriented and ridiculously tongue-in-cheek and then ended up accidentally creating the Devil May Cry series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If you were deep into games in the late nineties, Resident Evil 2 and Starcraft were among the first "THIS IS JUST LIKE A MOVIE!!!" games and the greatest thing ever as experienced by people who hadn't seen a lot of movies. So for them it was like, the RE movie came out and just as they were in their late teens and, surprise, Resident Evil 2 makes for a schlocky movie and not The Godfather Part II. It's happened again with Warcraft, which looks lovely only because of how seriously it takes itself, people are incensed with how bad it looks, but what did people think it was going to be?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 28, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

cat doter posted:

I want something just as bad as the games, not just kinda bad, I want hilariously terrible

I really do have a special place in my heart for resident evil, the first game is terrible in a way that makes me piss myself laughing, it's the funniest so bad it's good thing in the world, to me at least

My favorite thing about the first Resident Evil game involves the version for the Nintendo DS. They added some touchscreen stuff for the game and they decided to have one of the characters (the guy who got bit by the snake, Richard?) reference one of these puzzles with his dying breath. Of course this meant they had to have somebody record a new line for that. Bless that person, because they did an admirable job delivering a line just as lovely as the original voice acting.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

George Romero actually directed a Resident Evil commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0

... in Japan.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the errors in continuity, logic, and writing from movie to movie are shockingly loving bad. It's interesting to see how the people behind each movie were satisfied just assigning names from the games to random characters, too.

My favorite part is how the Red Queen, a program designed to contain the outbreak for the good of humankind in the first movie, turned into a death machine that actively wanted everyone TO DIE DOWN HEAH in the latest one. Also cool how a company wasted time and resources building specific simulations of viral outbreaks to each country, even though the outcome is probably always the same.

I'd say the entire series is pretty interesting just to see how hilariously terrible the movies continue to get. Things are introduced and then conveniently forgotten or retconned, concepts like clones are just inexplicably used for dollhouse scenarios, and I'm not even sure if real zombies still are as big a thing by the latest film. Not sure if this was mentioned but the best runthrough of how bad this movie series gets was done by internet critic guy Phelous, though he might not be everyone's cup of tea.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Resident Evil movies are interesting in the way that Fast and Furious movies are interesting, in that they're so loving stupid and they revel in their stupidity so hard that it's hard not to enjoy them.

kaesarsosei posted:

I've only seen the first movie but this scene really stood out for me. I thought it was awesome and the only thing I can remember, even though I didn't hate the movie at all.

How could you forget Milla Jovovich jumpkicking a dog in the face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHbOc5ii3w

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I always liked the ridiculousness of having a slap-fight with zombies in a cemetery (skip ahead to 1:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfUfR2gNmRY

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

raditts posted:

Resident Evil movies are interesting in the way that Fast and Furious movies are interesting, in that they're so loving stupid and they revel in their stupidity so hard that it's hard not to enjoy them.

How could you forget Milla Jovovich jumpkicking a dog in the face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHbOc5ii3w

She had to put down a gun first before she could go kick it. :haw:

Mierenneuker posted:

I always liked the ridiculousness of having a slap-fight with zombies in a cemetery (skip ahead to 1:30).

Notice that this time she's COVERED IN GUNS when she's doing lovely white kung fu to zombies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I almost never complain about characters doing stupid stuff in movies, but walking in a cemetery during a zombie outbreak is pretty loving stupid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alhazred posted:

I almost never complain about characters doing stupid stuff in movies, but walking in a cemetery during a zombie outbreak is pretty loving stupid.

Look sometimes you just have to wander through a cemetery during a zombie outbreak. It happens.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Well, they were holed up in a nearby church just before that because churches are always safe places. I think Milla entered that church on a motorcycle. Not using the main door, mind you.

Edit: I totally thought she backflipped of the motorcycle while shooting zombies, but I am guessing that's in one of the other movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzHvZIxbyg

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Code Veronica's first encounter is in a small graveyard, the first two movies in general have a ton of stuff like that in them not because it's supposed to make sense but because it's in the games. A lot of the major stuff and setpieces seen in the games happens in the films chronologically even if the characters and story are different.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, getting a dead-and-buried body where every biological process except decay has ended to come back to life would probably still seem a bit far-fetched, when the zombies before that could basically just be considered sick/mutated people.

Neo Rasa posted:

Code Veronica's first encounter is in a small graveyard, the first two movies in general have a ton of stuff like that in them not because it's supposed to make sense but because it's in the games. A lot of the major stuff and setpieces seen in the games happens in the films chronologically even if the characters and story are different.
There's a graveyard in RE3 too.

sean10mm posted:

Notice that this time she's COVERED IN GUNS when she's doing lovely white kung fu to zombies.
The movies respect their survival horror roots. Close combat is the perfect way to save ammunition.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus the zombies in RE are durable but not like super mega strong, if not for movie/video game logic you'd think a cemetery would be pretty safe since all the bodies are six feet under in a box or locked in a mausoleum.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My dad likes these movies in his innocent, naive dad way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

My dad likes these movies in his innocent, naive dad way.

Or maybe he just like boobs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Retribution also gave us a song by Bassnectar and Chino Moreno, and it kinda owns

(Actually that pretty much sums up the RE movies- they're a hodgepodge of completely dumb poo poo that ends up kinda owning in the end)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Or maybe he just like boobs.

Well yeah but that's what I meant.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

George Romero actually directed a Resident Evil commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0

... in Japan.

Amazing, the website in the commercial is still up. Apparently the character art section is coming soon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus the zombies in RE are durable but not like super mega strong, if not for movie/video game logic you'd think a cemetery would be pretty safe since all the bodies are six feet under in a box or locked in a mausoleum.

Yeah, I never quite "got" cemetery zombie escapes, since they're buried or hidden so not to be attracted to people, have too much weight to get out of (caskets, pound of dirt, vaults), etc. But drat if it isn't one of the better visuals, logic be damned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think one of my favorite parts of the terrible film Burial Ground/The Nights of Terror is that there's a prominent zombie rising out of the earth moment and even that generally solid concept is just ridiculously stupidly executed in the film.

Not to say that zombies can't be shown in broad daylight, but Burial Ground has like the Batman Begins batsuit of zombie makeup and well

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Neo Rasa posted:

Well yeah but in a RE game you'd be ambushed by Leech/worm BOW's and an unusually large number of infected grave diggers. Well that or an obtuse puzzle involving revolving grave stones 90 degrees in a precise sequence.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
How can you people complain about zombies rising out of their graves? It's just one of those classic images. Now, obviously it's not going to work in a Paul W.S. Anderson movie, but what does?

Edit:
I'll just go ahead and answer my own question:
A dude doing the splits and punching a four-armed monster in the balls.

Gargamel Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 29, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

Yeah, I never quite "got" cemetery zombie escapes, since they're buried or hidden so not to be attracted to people, have too much weight to get out of (caskets, pound of dirt, vaults), etc. But drat if it isn't one of the better visuals, logic be damned.

the best is of course in Return of the Living Dead, when an otherwise fleshless skeleton claws itself out of the ground with complete working eyes & eyelids.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't think anything beats Dance of the Dead where zombies launch out of their graves with rocket propulsion and land on their feet running.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I like to bask in the glory of Milla Jovovich-centric films.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

cat doter posted:

I feel like RE4 wholesale would make the best fuckin bad movie ever hands down. Every single one liner is gold.

my favorite terrible garbage is that STALKER lost alpha remake thing. The horrid stiff Russian accent voiceovers, the script written by an 8 year old, the plot about the Illuminati

you're about to poo poo yourself in fear and get forced Into a broken cutscene with a monster gyrating in place with some Russian dude failing to put any emotion into "for the love of god please help me"

it's art and it's loving beautiful

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never really understood these movies. If you like Resident Evil then you probably want to see zombies in a creepy mansion and not some lady bicycle kicking dogs to bad techno and elaborate laser traps? But I guess people keep watching them. The over the top ridiculous parts that I've seen on YouTube are fun but the reality is that most of the movies are just plain boring.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I would enjoy the Resident Evil series more if like the early games they wasted viewers' time by having the characters requiring crests, emblems, gems and keys to get anywhere at all...

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Apocalypse is the closest the series ever got to emulating the plot of the games, borrowing heavily from the 'plot' of Resident Evil 3. It's my personal favorite of the series, if only because they actually got Sienna Guillory to wear Jill's outfit from the game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kevin Durand* had a spot on Barry Burton outfit in the one with the artic facility. He even has a Magnum as his sidearm.

*whose name I never knew prior to this post even though he's been in a dozen things.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 5, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Apocalypse is the closest the series ever got to emulating the plot of the games, borrowing heavily from the 'plot' of Resident Evil 3. It's my personal favorite of the series, if only because they actually got Sienna Guillory to wear Jill's outfit from the game

They forgot the sweater tied around her waist.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Still looking forward to what has got to be the final movie in this series.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This movie series is the reason Mila Jovovich and Paul WS Anderson are not married with kids.

It's also in direct competition with Underworld in the subgenre of "producer/director dresses wife up in fetish gear and make her fight monsters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

cat doter posted:

have you read that loving script? it's godawful

I mean, the game's script is even worse but at least it's terrible in an absolutely hilarious way, like the troll 2 of video games

It's also a first draft/treatment. It would be more of a surprise if it wasn't awful.

• Locked thread